Ronaldo & Maguire power struggle

Rolaholic

Doubt he had much respect to begin with tbh, there were stories of a lot of the dressing room being bemused when he got the armband.

I'm sure whatever credit in the bank he had went out the window after Mykonos.

If true he should learn that respect is earned, not given just like that. Tbf to him, not everyone is a leader and thats fine.

Unfortunately we've sorely been lacking in that department post-Fergie

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't know what that means but it sounds accurate.
It's bemused me in recent weeks how often he's in shot brushing his fringe out the way.
Might just be a habit but I can't remember seeing a football player do it as much.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I mean… there is no smoke without fire.
There are smoke machines, which are designed to make it look like there's a fire when there isn't one. That's what a good chunk of sports journalism is, so I've never thought "no smoke without fire" applies to football all that well.

macheda14

Honestly can we have a tier list or just something to stop people starting threads with the mirror, the sun or international equivalent being posted.

TheGame

He’s just pulled the story from Falk. Can anyone really take the supposed United source serious when they’re saying

Originally, Ronaldo was asking players to back Harry. But the problem is the manager now wants Ronaldo to mentor all these younger players.

“That’s left Harry in no man’s land, as he’s the captain and having to say and follow whatever Ronaldo says, to keep everything sweet.”

It doesn’t even make any sense
It's alright people on here will jump on any old shite to suit their agendas.

macheda14

:lol:
Believe what you want but this will be true. It’s very obvious there are big differences of opinions in the dressing room. Club is completely fractured. Ronaldo coming has completely upset the balance, rightly or wrongly.
Question: do you legitimately trust the daily mail, the mirror and the sun? Especially when most of their stories will report each other as a source.

saivet

The article doesn't even make any sense.

Why would Ronaldo be tasked with mentoring every single young player and why would that mean Maguire can't be captain? How does this constitute a "row"?
It would seem Maguire has taken it the wrong way and there was talk earlier in the season about him feeling the pressure of captaincy. I think the raised expectations and big personalities, particularly of Ronaldo and possibly even Varane have had an impact. He's not even the no.1 CB anymore.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Question: do you legitimately trust the daily mail, the mirror and the sun? Especially when most of their stories will report each other as a source.
It depends on the journalist. The publication matters little.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There are smoke machines, which are designed to make it look like there's a fire when there isn't one. That's what a good chunk of sports journalism is, so I've never thought "no smoke without fire" applies to football all that well.
You’d have to be pretty fecking silly to not think a side who have;
- Seen a manager get sacked, (and be replaced with an interim coach who is extremely blunt and forthright — that’s without getting into his CV which I have no doubt some players have their own views on);
- Had half of the senior bench go on loan because they weren’t getting game time but were too expensive to find clubs to buy;
- Had one key player suspended (who it was also rumoured his style of football irritated the other players);
- Had one player who was promised to be let go on loan and then told he wasn’t able to on the final day of the window, who then went to publicly contradict the manager on social media; and
- Have 4 senior players whose contracts are about to expire and its highly unlikely none will be at the club after this summer

And not think there’s a clear divide and issue with dressing room harmony at the club.

I have no doubts that Sports Journalism as a profession and an entity embellishes the truth. However, the facts are pretty evident in this case, and I think you’d have to be purposefully looking the other way not to see it here

This article is probably made up nonsense but let’s be honest this is probably true. Someone of Ronaldo’s status should never be under Maguire. Maguire never earned arm band, it wasn’t fair to give it to him, he will feel pressure and the fans don’t respect him.

Glorio

I mean… there is no smoke without fire. This is like the third or fourth separate time this sort of thing has been raised by the media this season.

So much for this being the most likeable side we’ve had since SAF retired
Really? The fact the smoke and fire thing is an old cliché doesn't make it true.

How's this?
Sources in Manchester are convinced that Sancho's early bad form was due to an issue with one of his teammates who competed with him for the same spot. Said fellow was threatening to sell his left kneecap on the black market if he ever scored a goal at OT.

In other news, Dalot has received threats through the post (one was taped to his dogs collar after it mysteriously went missing and reappeared) that he will be excommunicated from his hometown in Portugal if he doesn't cross the ball whenever Ronaldo is in the box.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really? The fact the smoke and fire thing is an old cliché doesn't make it true.

How's this?
Sources in Manchester are convinced that Sancho's early bad form was due to an issue with one of his teammates who competed with him for the same spot. Said fellow was threatening to sell his left kneecap on the black market if he ever scored a goal at OT.

In other news, Dalot has received threats through the post (one was taped to his dogs collar after it mysteriously went missing and reappeared) that he will be excommunicated from his hometown in Portugal if he doesn't cross the ball whenever Ronaldo is in the box.
Don’t give up the day job.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

Why would Ronaldo be tasked with mentoring every single young player and why would that mean Maguire can't be captain? How does this constitute a "row"?
maguire is like one of those weird 17 year old kids that hangs around with 12 year olds to make himself feel better about how shit and unpopular he is. all his other scrotey mates have gone off to do apprenticeships or nvqs and he‘s left hanging about outside nisa on a tuesday night, desperate for validation in his shit life choices.

the youngun’s at united used to hang off his every word. they’d gather around him and lap up the stories of how maguire saw “15 or 16 greekos“ off by himself before anthony joshua arrived and said “i’m on holiday but I had to come over and say I’m glad you’re such a fast and well respected centre back as if you did boxing you’d be able to beat me and colin mcgregors in a boxing fight.” they’d look on in awe at maguire recanting the tale of him “smashing 14 or 15 pints before going in to the ’bombs“ and then turning up at old trafford to flail at championship level strikers.

ronaldo has turned up and gone “look at that loser. why would you want to be like that? eat chicken and just commit alleged crimes like me and you could also be the second best player of your generation too.”

maguire looks over to rangnick for support but he’s busy listening to techno and watching videos of angela merkel on youtube.

Hughie77

Should outright ban the Mirror, they've not had a single positive thing to say on us all season and 99% of their stories can't be proven to be true, so they just make it up.
Yes they all make it up or write shite, there supposed to report the news , not make it Telegraph is worse.

mav_9me

I mean… there is no smoke without fire. This is like the third or fourth separate time this sort of thing has been raised by the media this season.

But these stories come out because they are plausible. No one would care for a story about cliques in Liverpool or City. But I am sure there are issues there too. But winning cures all ills and covers any issues. Point is no one knows whether there is anything to this or not, and even if it is real does it matter? Any problems between the players is not the cause of our issues. It's the result of us losing.

And of course being United these are guaranteed clicks, amplified by United fan accounts and forums.

RedDevilQuebecois

Whether true or not Maguire should definitely not be the captain.
A captain should be able to stand his ground and be the most competitive bloke a team has on the pitch. If he can't, then he has no business being the captain. It's as simple as that.

dpansheth

Two titans of the game battling it out for the captaincy at the best club in the world. A blockbuster

Huh!!! Maguire is anything but a Titan. & dont agree with your underlying point about journalism. There’s someone on the team feeding these stories, whether they are real or made-up that no one can be 100% sure.
Edit: i have an agenda, I dont believe Lingard, Rashford , Maguire, Shaw, McFred, AWB should be at this club unless we are willing to accept dark times for one more decade (ala dipers had it for ~30 years)

Last edited:

jameyzane

Huh!!! Maguire is anything but a Titan. & dont agree with your underlying point about journalism. There’s someone on the team feeding these stories, whether they are real or made-up that no one can be 100% sure
He's being sarcastic. Maguire wasn't even a titan at Leicester.

SamVimes

Fan channel Stretford Paddock claiming Maguire is to be replaced as Captain.

More nonsense?

Dan_F

I’m not really sure this one can be put on the rest of the players can it?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yeah, it’s meaningless bollox. It’s quite possible Maguire and Ronaldo can’t stand each other. And it’s extremely likely that our dressing room is a long fecking way from being as tight as actual successful football teams (although even they had room for players that hate each other; Yorke and Sheringham, Keane and Schmeicel) but this is one of the most half-arsed and badly thought through football soap operas I’ve ever read. It is literal nonsense.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Maguires big challenge is that the constant mistakes undermines his ability to challenge the players on the pitch on their performance. You cant be captain if you are the butt of jokes, its not a sustainable position

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It would seem Maguire has taken it the wrong way and there was talk earlier in the season about him feeling the pressure of captaincy. I think the raised expectations and big personalities, particularly of Ronaldo and possibly even Varane have had an impact. He's not even the no.1 CB anymore.
It would seem based on what? The article that doesn't make any basic sense? By a newspaper with a long track record of just completely making stuff up?

I mean how would taking the captaincy off a player and humiliating them while still picking them for every game "ease" the pressure on them exactly? How would this make more sense than just dropping Maguire?

Why would the manager have a conversation with the captain about their form and just randomly involve Ronaldo into it for his opinion?

When it sounds like a load of ridiculous bollocks from the mind of an idiot, it's because that's what it is. Well maybe I'm being unkind and he's just realised enough idiots will read it that it won't matter how stupid or irrelevant it is.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
You’d have to be pretty fecking silly to not think a side who have;
- Seen a manager get sacked, (and be replaced with an interim coach who is extremely blunt and forthright — that’s without getting into his CV which I have no doubt some players have their own views on);
- Had half of the senior bench go on loan because they weren’t getting game time but were too expensive to find clubs to buy;
- Had one key player suspended (who it was also rumoured his style of football irritated the other players);
- Had one player who was promised to be let go on loan and then told he wasn’t able to on the final day of the window, who then went to publicly contradict the manager on social media; and
- Have 4 senior players whose contracts are about to expire and its highly unlikely none will be at the club after this summer

And not think there’s a clear divide and issue with dressing room harmony at the club.

I have no doubts that Sports Journalism as a profession and an entity embellishes the truth. However, the facts are pretty evident in this case, and I think you’d have to be purposefully looking the other way not to see it here
I agree that it's probably true, just pointing out that the report itself isn't evidence

kelvinwong2026

I follow Man Utd since 1990, and Maguire is the worst captain I have ever seen. He lacks leadership, authority, determination, stability and charisma as well as footballing abilities.