Ronaldo & Maguire power struggle

red4ever 79

Ole will, most certainly, never get a top job ever again. He can't be bothered coaching, he goes on holidays in the middle of a crisis, he saddles the club with friends who had failed everywhere they went and he fecked up at a low EPL level club and at Manchester United. However does the buck solely rest on Ole? What about the so called recruitment committee we keep mumbling about? What about the scouting team and the data analyst teams who came out saying that they reviewed some 5000 right backs backs only to discover AWB? Most if not all these people are still at the club.
I would much prefer we just play the kids and start over again. Big cultural reset. Honestly I am sick of the performances, the bullshits on twitter, the primadonnas. Let's start again, get the snakes out of the club.

De Gea
Laird
Varane
Mengi
Williams
Garner
Bruno
Hannibal
Elanga
Ronaldo
Shoretrie

We should just move on from the idea that we need an older superstar to guide the younger players.
Rashford and Martial were supposed to gain 2 levels just from sharing the same dressing room as Zlatan..
And i`m quite sure there is a similar idea behind this as well, Ronaldos mentality should rub off on the yonger players.
Great idea in theory but it just doesn`t seem to lift anyone in reality.
This is the truth. I think younger players get inspired and step up their game from being with other great players in their prime. They can see how it should be done and build chemistry.

We keep bringing in older pros who are way past their best (Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger, Zlatan, Sanchez) the list goes on. Not that I have an issue with these players but our younger players clearly want to play with the best players of today, not the best players of yesterday.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This is the truth. I think younger players get inspired and step up their game from being with other great players in their prime. They can see how it should be done and build chemistry.

We keep bringing in older pros who are way past their best (Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger, Zlatan, Sanchez) the list goes on. Not that I have an issue with these players but our younger players clearly want to play with the best players of today, not the best players of yesterday.
Do you really think players wouldn't want to play on the same team as Ronaldo??
One of, if not the greatest player ever to play the game?
Who is currently United's top scorer this season and 4th top scorer in the league so far.

Dante

Average bang
The only thing a captain does is guess heads or tails at kick off.

I think a lot of you guys are confusing double points on Fantasy Football with what actually happens on the pitch. Ronaldo's leadership isn't blunted by whether or not he wears a piece of cloth on his arm. And nobody's looking at what Maguire's eating for dessert, regardless of whether there's a (c) after his name on the teamsheet.

Criticise his form. Criticise Woodward for the fee. Whining about the captaincy is missing the point.

Last edited:
Do you really think players wouldn't want to play on the same team as Ronaldo??
One of, if not the greatest player ever to play the game?
Who is currently United's top scorer this season and 4th top scorer in the league so far.
No I was talking in the context of building the team around someone who is past their best or making them captain.

The board seem to have an obsession with bringing in older players and then making them the main man. I think it could actually stunt the development of younger players rather than grow then.

David De Gea

The only thing a captain does is guess heads or tails at kick off.

I think a lot of you guys are confusing double points on Fantasy Football with what actually happens on the pitch. Ronaldo's leadership isn't blunted by whether or not he wears a piece of cloth on his arm. And nobody's looking at what Maguire's eating for dessert, regardless of whether there's a (c) after his name on the teamsheet.

Criticise his form. Criticise Woodward for the fee. But who's captain is a non-issue.
I dont believe that is the case, certainly not the impression I got from reading Keane's book though perhaps he was an anomaly. He always talked about as captain having extra responsibility to make sure players families were OK on match days, being a level above and involved whenever anything was going on at the club, arranging social events and just generally being the one to lead by example.

Even thinking back to my amateur football days the captain of the club was always a great club man, would have made sure everyone was OK on match days and could generally be accepted to be the one leading by example at training and on match day.

If anything I think you are the one downplaying captaincy based on playing computer games (where it doesn't really have an impact) or from fantasy football where it's just a game mechanic.

Whether Maguire does any of the above doesn't say anything about the role of a captain but may say something about his suitability to be one.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
No I was talking in the context of building the team around someone who is past their best or making them captain.

The board seem to have an obsession with bringing in older players and then making them the main man. I think it could actually stunt the development of younger players rather than grow then.
I disagree somewhat, but the do get your point.
I don't think it's an obsession, I just think sometimes these players are available and us as a club cannot resist taking the bait.
I do think Ronaldo in that dressing room can only be a good thing for the younger players, Lee Grant highlighted how certain routines have changed just from him being there in an interview.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
De gea should be captain. 10 years here, actually won a title, player of the season several times and still bailing us out. Let the outfield players have their own unseen hierarchy.
A captain should be in midfield in my opinion who can inspire and gee the boys up not a central defender and definitely not a gk what's the point

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Ronaldo is a winner who expects a ridiculously high level from those around him. So did Roy Keane.

I would much rather have Ronaldo as captain than Maguire to be honest. Maguire doesn’t come across well in interviews and he’s a nightmare on the pitch.

Marwood

They turned a nothing article into a full week of tabloid reports by responding to it. They or their PR people are dumb as feck.

A manager responding to a question in a press conference is completely different.
Agree with the response or not they only gave the same answer Rangnick did. That it's rubbish.

So this talk of acting in contradiction to the club or it being telling it was those two I can't see.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why are football journalists allowed to make up complete bollocks in their papers / on twitter with no repercussions? :confused:

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I would much prefer we just play the kids and start over again. Big cultural reset. Honestly I am sick of the performances, the bullshits on twitter, the primadonnas. Let's start again, get the snakes out of the club.

De Gea
Laird
Varane
Mengi
Williams
Garner
Bruno
Hannibal
Elanga
Ronaldo
Shoretrie
Im with you there…3 or 4 senior players and the rest working their nuts off, learning from the best.

Bennie Blanco

De Gea
Laird
Varane
Mengi
Williams
Garner
Bruno
Hannibal
Elanga
Ronaldo
Shoretrie
100% this!

I'd rather lose with these players and see fight than put up with all the drama and grudges with the current lot.

We're probably idiots in the eyes of so many for thinking this way. So be it.

Giggsy13

Reports feel very clickbaity but honestly neither should be captaining the club, Ronaldo should no longer be an automatic starter & Maguire simply isn’t good enough.

The whole he’s a United player so he deserves support argument is a red herring. People want him to succeed, it’s just become clearly evident [sooner for some than others] that he’s not good enough. Blind faith isn’t supporting in good faith. If you’re looking to pedal this line I’d suggest heading to the Rooney thread re: his documentary. That’s a player who did something(s) for the club & still gets called a number of unsavoury things.

Maguire is a few years into his time here, having been promoted above his peers to captain. I agree this forum doesn’t celebrate our players [some past, some present] enough but honestly the protection Maguire continues to get from posters is exactly why it’s hard to stomach his on field displays, at what point does our £80mil captains form stop being a constant topic for debate. The criticism of Maguire is usually about his on field oafishness, other players draw far more personal criticism.
Nailed it.

wolvored

A captain should be in midfield in my opinion who can inspire and gee the boys up not a central defender and definitely not a gk what's the point
Bruce Terry Adams Kompany were 4 off the top of my head that were good captains and CD. You can dictate play from there as well. GK I agree.

DSG

I dont believe that is the case, certainly not the impression I got from reading Keane's book though perhaps he was an anomaly. He always talked about as captain having extra responsibility to make sure players families were OK on match days, being a level above and involved whenever anything was going on at the club, arranging social events and just generally being the one to lead by example.

Even thinking back to my amateur football days the captain of the club was always a great club man, would have made sure everyone was OK on match days and could generally be accepted to be the one leading by example at training and on match day.

If anything I think you are the one downplaying captaincy based on playing computer games (where it doesn't really have an impact) or from fantasy football where it's just a game mechanic.

Whether Maguire does any of the above doesn't say anything about the role of a captain but may say something about his suitability to be one.
This is absolutely true. You need a leader on the field and in the dressing room. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn’t played at a high enough level.

TheRedDevil2019

Give the captaincy to CR7 and be done with it. Maguire is a clown and all I hear from fans in the stands is moaning and swearing when it comes to Harry these days. (He didn't help himself with that stupid celebration for England, felt like a dig at the united fan base tbh).

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The problem with Maguire being captain isn't the perceived lack of leadership or inspirational presence, it's that it's much harder for the boss to drop a captain.

From an outsider's point of view (and even with my my bias towards your England players), Bruno should be captain.

Chris M

Its the body language from Maguire, a goal against us and he has the sad frown on his face, pitiful ! Nothing vocal in trying to get the team focused,

norm87cro

Neither of them are leaders. Even in his prime Ronaldo was no captain. One is an overpaid CB in a team were his teammates in the defense are no better and the other is a declining 37 year old that can't cope with the fact he can't start every game

Andersons Dietician

Having watched this team I just don’t see a proper leader anywhere in it. There just doesn’t seem to be someone with the mentality to do it. Bruno I would have presumed earlier would have been a good captain but honestly recently I’m having 2nd thoughts. He clearly demands a lot of people but Looks like he’s falling apart at times.

Ronaldo, I’m not sure of either, has won it all and from what we are told people could learn a lot from his dedication to get him to where he got himself but I don’t see him doing much leading on the pitch. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

Maguire, when your CB partner (LIndelof) is the one telling you where you need to be and trying to position you correctly how can you honestly look at yourself and expect to be captain. Does nothing on the pitch and Rashford ended him as captain last season when he told him to F off.

Again who knows what he does behind the scenes, but it just seems like we’ve lacked real leadership in the team for a long time now and certainly not had any on the pitch.

To me watching us play we just lack the mental strength to face adversity or dig deep and fight for it. It’s all too nice then we panic when things don’t go our way and fold.

United in sin

De Gea
Laird
Varane
Mengi
Williams
Garner
Bruno
Hannibal
Elanga
Ronaldo
Shoretrie
I endorse this idea but why keep Ronaldo in? He's part of the toxicity at the club, one of the premadonnas you mention

lex talionis

Who knows the real truth about this "power struggle" leading up to the match, but Harry put in a captain's performance today. Not perfect, but still a captain's performance.

Giggsy13

Who knows the real truth about this "power struggle" leading up to the match, but Harry put in a captain's performance today. Not perfect, but still a captain's performance.
100%. The best way to put stories like these to bed is to put in the type of game he did today. Answer the questions on the pitch, not Twitter!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

TheReligion

Abusive
This thread should be put to bed after the team performance yesterday and in recent weeks. Battling for each other all over the pitch and ganging up on the ref.

That’s not a team with a big split.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
After their power struggle earlier in the year it was nice to see them join forces and play up top together.