Ronaldo & Maguire power struggle

Andersonson

I think it’s somewhere in the middle. Maguire was a good captain that we needed at the time. However, we have evolved as a team, signed better players who are also leaders (example. Bruno) and we also have a new manager. The captaincy definitely needs reviewing.
According to you, maybe. Maybe not so for the group and coaching staff ( which actually matters )

wolvored

What makes McTominay the best option? Genuine question, I just don't see it but have heard this said several times.
McTom shouldn't be a regular never mind captain. He hides on the pitch so how would he be a good captain. Give it Bruno. Someone who is brazen on the pitch

Ladron de redcafe

:lol: you what, do I? News to me, I've been defending Maguire against a storm for ages on here, up until this season as its much harder to do so as he's been crap, and still hope he can turn it around. Sorry Big Andy, never ever seen one of your posts before, and you've clearly never seen mine either, you're talking bobbins. What a truly crap post.
What makes the tweet "pathetic" though?

Kumar Abhishek

Not sure about others but all these one-sided "leaks" from the media are actually leading to my support for the team increasing. I desperately want us to start moving in the right direction now so that we can shut these vultures up.

Giggsy13

Ronaldo needs to do to Maguire what Viera did to Anelka years ago. Take a swing with “it” and a power struggle it will be no more.

Offsideagain

I have said before that the club should take legal action against these posters spreading rumours about leaks so they would then have to prove it. Gary (shop steward) Neville should also come clean if he ‘knows’ who the alleged leaker is. Just more shit to deal with instead of concentrating on the football.

Giggsy13

Or maybe he should just call obvious bullshit out for what it is?
Why? It only goes to show how brittle he is. You don’t have to call out every single piece of bullshit article or rumour you see and read out there. You’ll drive yourself insane reading the nonsense on social media. Maguire should do his talking where it counts, on the pitch where he makes the most of his wages, not crying foul of every chancer in the media who wants to make £££ off our supposed “turmoil”.

JB7

Why? It only goes to show how brittle he is. You don’t have to call out every single piece of bullshit article or rumour you see and read out there. You’ll drive yourself insane reading the nonsense on social media. Maguire should do his talking where it counts, on the pitch where he makes the most of his wages, not crying foul of every chancer in the media who wants to make £££ off our supposed “turmoil”.
He doesn't though, it's the first time he's taken to social media regarding a bullshit story since when exactly? If he was responding to every rumour about him he'd be living on social media. You're reacting to him calling out ONE thing as he's online 24/7 calling articles out. His manager was literally just speaking about it too, maybe he's brittle as well?

The best thing is if he'd said nothing at all the clowns on this forum would be slagging him off because he hadn't come out and denied it, therefore it must be true. He's in an unwinnable position and to be honest it is fecking ridiculous.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I have said before that the club should take legal action against these posters spreading rumours about leaks so they would then have to prove it. Gary (shop steward) Neville should also come clean if he ‘knows’ who the alleged leaker is. Just more shit to deal with instead of concentrating on the football.
Why do they never pursue legal actions ? You cannot hide behind your "sources" to publish anything

Giggsy13

He doesn't though, it's the first time he's taken to social media regarding a bullshit story since when exactly? If he was responding to every rumour about him he'd be living on social media. You're reacting to him calling out ONE thing as he's online 24/7 calling articles out. His manager was literally just speaking about it too, maybe he's brittle as well?

The best thing is if he'd said nothing at all the clowns on this forum would be slagging him off because he hadn't come out and denied it, therefore it must be true. He's in an unwinnable position and to be honest it is fecking ridiculous.
Maguire is getting slagged off because he’s been shit this season. You know what takes a footballer out of an “unwinnable situation” like this? Playing better, not engaging the leaches in the media. He is only serving his damaged ego by addressing this nonsense. Go fecking play better, that’s all that counts when you’re a footballer.

0le

That would include pretty much most if not all of the posters on redcafe.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Textbook case of punishing the messenger or even better, please feed me moaar social media niceties and let's keep our eyes firmly closed

JB7

Maguire is getting slagged off because he’s been shit this season. You know what takes a footballer out of an “unwinnable situation” like this? Playing better, not engaging the leaches in the media. He is only serving his damaged ego by addressing this nonsense. Go fecking play better, that’s all that counts when you’re a footballer.
Literally haven't once mentioned his performances, I've responded to your post slating him for responding to something that he'd probably been slated in equal measure by somebody else for not responding to. It's boring. He needs to be better, if he was playing better these bullshit stories wouldn't exist, nobody disputes that part but it's also not relevant.

romufc

No, he is getting slagged of as a Captain, not his performances on this thread.

Witchking

Can't blame Maguire here. The amount of crap spouted against the club is huge. Good on him to nip it in the bud. But it won't stop many from questioning him. The past couple of weeks, i have gone from getting frustrated with him to maybe understand that he is under a lot of pressure from our own. We maybe should support him more which is beneficial for the club. He may not be worth 80 million. That is not his fault. Hope he ends the season on a strong note.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Can't blame Maguire here. The amount of crap spouted against the club is huge. Good on him to nip it in the bud. But it won't stop many from questioning him. The past couple of weeks, i have gone from getting frustrated with him to maybe understand that he is under a lot of pressure from our own. We maybe should support him more which is beneficial for the club. He may not be worth 80 million. That is not his fault. Hope he ends the season on a strong note.
Well, no, it won't - and why should it?

Him coming out on Twitter and saying that the latest news story about him is false has nothing to do with what people have been criticizing him for, so it would make no sense to suddenly stop questioning him. He's being heavily criticized for his performances and the fact that he is not a captain.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I loath social media. It’s 99% bullshit and 1% cowdung. That’s why I think it’s dumb to respond to this type of nonsense at all. posting these statements, dismissing it or not, gives the nonsense legitimacy. If anything does need to be said, keep it plain and simple “Nope. Clickbait” and then just walk away.

red4ever 79

The sooner we cut out losses with Maguire the better off we will be. For now I would quietly bench him for the remainder of the season and then appoint a new captain in the summer with Bruno being the preferred choice.

According to you, maybe. Maybe not so for the group and coaching staff ( which actually matters )
I think your wrong that it wont be reviewed, I would think it will almost certainly be reviewed by the new manager. Even if the outcome is Harry is still the best person to be captain.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I loath social media. It’s 99% bullshit and 1% cowdung. That’s why I think it’s dumb to respond to this type of nonsense at all. posting these statements, dismissing it or not, gives the nonsense legitimacy. If anything does need to be said, keep it plain and simple “Nope. Clickbait” and then just walk away.
You're right.

But with the sentiment on here at the moment, you could post a link to a random Twitter account claiming that Harry is a cannibal - and people would go: "Well, it probably isn't true - but he should still be released with immediate effect just to be on the safe side."

big rons sovereign

Wonder how many PR boffins it took to come up with this one.

Telling that Maguire and Rashford are the two responding to drivel from worthless tabloid hacks.
Yet if they said nothing you'd be hammering them both for their silence.

Rolaholic

Yet if they said nothing you'd be hammering them both for their silence.
When has this ever been the case :lol:

Vast majority of professional footballers hardly ever publicly acknowledge paper stories or narratives.

It's mainly with United that the PR battle takes an added importance for whatever reason hence the players feeling the constant need to comment on everything, whether a bad defeat or a gossip tale. No other club entertains the tabloids half as much

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Your post is absolutely infuriating nonsense with zero logic.
He's come out against an obvious lie, this once. What's your problem?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
My guess would be that Maguire's statement is in line with a strategy devised by the club. He denies the rumours, then Ralf rubbishes the same rumours in his presser - in the hope that this thing dies down (at least to some degree). Rashford's recent comments could be seen in the same light.

In short, the club is trying to get the message across that fans shouldn't pay attention to shit stirring.

And - yes - we all know that this won't go away until United start looking like a proper team again, but staying 100% silent on specific rumours (that get a lot of attention) about internal unrest may not be the right strategy either.

lex talionis

Ronaldo should have been given the armband by Ole right out of the gate. It's not as though Maguire had distinguished himself as captain before Ronaldo arrived, and whatever one thinks about Ronaldo's ability today he's a vastly more important player to the club than Maguire, and is built of captain material.

As for right now, Ralf should rip the bandage and get this done now.

Marwood

Wonder how many PR boffins it took to come up with this one.

Telling that Maguire and Rashford are the two responding to drivel from worthless tabloid hacks.
It's not telling at all. It's those two who were named in the articles as creating a divide. So naturally if anybody is going to respond it'll be them.

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why do they never pursue legal actions ? You cannot hide behind your "sources" to publish anything
You would need to prove that it is factually wrong. You could essentially only do this by letting Maguire and Ronaldo testify in court that they have no issues with each other. Do you really want to burden your players with this kind of actions?