Ronaldo & Maguire power struggle

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Ronaldo should have been given the armband by Ole right out of the gate. It's not as though Maguire had distinguished himself as captain before Ronaldo arrived, and whatever one thinks about Ronaldo's ability today he's a vastly more important player to the club than Maguire, and is built of captain material.

As for right now, Ralf should rip the bandage and get this done now.
To be fair, Ralf is only here until the end of the season so I don't expect him to make a big decision like taking the captain's armband off someone. However, when the permanent manager comes in, this is what should happen.

hobbers

It's not telling at all. It's those two were named in the articles as creating a divide. So naturally if anybody is going to repond it'll be them.
It is telling that they responded to it at all.

The other half of this supposed divide, Ronaldo Bruno Fred Telles et al, haven't been fanning the flames by denying it in the media.

9 times out of 10 when a hack reports of a bust up in training or falling out in a squad the only time the club responds to it is when the manager is asked about it in the press conference. And that's only because they've been asked in front of the cameras.

Marwood

It is telling that they responded to it at all.

The other half of this supposed divide, Ronaldo Bruno Fred Telles et al, haven't been fanning the flames by denying it in the media.

9 times out of 10 when a hack reports of a bust up in training or falling out in a squad the only time the club responds to it is when the manager is asked about it in the press conference. And that's only because they've been asked in front of the cameras.
So it's telling of what exactly? That the stories are true?

hobbers

So it's telling of what exactly? That the stories are true?
Mainly that they or their PR people aren't pulling in the same direction as the club's PR. Which feeds into this notion that there are players in our squad far too concerned with their public image and social media platforms than their performances on the pitch.

The fact they both respond directly to no-mark journos on twitter is exactly how you turn one daily mirror clickbait article into 10 articles, including from more reputable media outlets. They've given a nothing story a ton more traction for their own sakes.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You would need to prove that it is factually wrong. You could essentially only do this by letting Maguire and Ronaldo testify in court that they have no issues with each other. Do you really want to burden your players with this kind of actions?
I would, without a doubt. I don't see it as a burden but as a necessity for the club's greater good as we see sections of the fanbase, blindly believing any these rags would publish. It contributes to the general bad atmosphere

Rolaholic

Fans complain about media circuses while at the same time asking for the club to sue said media which would create an even bigger circus :lol: :houllier:

Can't think of any current big club actually taking formal legal action against the press in recent history

Marwood

Mainly that they or their PR people aren't pulling in the same direction as the club's PR. Which feeds into this notion that there are players in our squad far too concerned with their public image and social media platforms than their performances on the pitch.

The fact they both respond directly to no-mark journos on twitter is exactly how you turn one daily mirror clickbait article into 10 articles, including from more reputable media outlets. They've given a nothing story a ton more traction for their own sakes.
They've said exactly the same as the manager. How is that not pulling in the same direction as the club?

wolvored

You coud do a fergie and call the journalist out say name your sources and/or if you report any more shit you will be banned from the managers press conference.

United Hobbit

I really struggle to like Maguire. I think part of it, though not all his fault, is like with Fellaini and Moyes, I see him as the "face" of our failures over the last couple of years. Not to mention how we paid so much for him, Liverpool paid lots for VVD but he's head and shoulders above Maguire. I was even pleased by his signing....

He's just so weak and has made multiple errors.

It makes me weep when I see his name against some of the other captains we've had over the years.

Giggsy13

Your post is absolutely infuriating nonsense with zero logic.
He's come out against an obvious lie, this once. What's your problem?
What’s infuriating is that our players are more triggered by the media and their narrative rather than putting their head to the real issues on the pitch.

You have any decent response or are you just going to attack cause you’re triggered like Harry? Are we counting wins on social media now or actually doing well where it fecking matters.

Last edited:

Giggsy13

I miss the days when we had players at the club who ignored the noise and stuck two fingers at the media who doubted them. Brittle, soft and so easily triggered. Why do you care what the daily mail has to say? I guarantee you that media wouldn’t spew this narrative if Maguire was doing well and putting in games worthy of his price tag. It bothers the big oaf because he knows he’s been shit and can’t find a way to respond in the correct manner, which is consistently put in world class performances to shut them up.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I miss the days when we had players at the club who ignored the noise and stuck two fingers at the media who doubted them. Brittle, soft and so easily triggered. Why do you care what the daily mail has to say? I guarantee you that media wouldn’t spew this narrative if Maguire was doing well and putting in games worthy of this price tag. It bothers the big oaf because he knows he’s been shit and can’t find a way to respond in the correct manner, which is consistently put in world class performances to shut them up.
You miss those days because they were before social media, before internet news and before someone online saying a player got arrested for a crime he didn't commit meant he was guilty.

The best way to nip this crap In the bud is for everyone to ignore it, but when the noise is so strong I am all for players coming out on socials and cancelling it.

Nothing to do with Maguire's form, just media interest.

Andersonson

I think your wrong that it wont be reviewed, I would think it will almost certainly be reviewed by the new manager. Even if the outcome is Harry is still the best person to be captain.
Theese things are always reviewed when a new manager comes in. The manager pics what he feels is best for him and the team

hobbers

They've said exactly the same as the manager. How is that not pulling in the same direction as the club?
They turned a nothing article into a full week of tabloid reports by responding to it. They or their PR people are dumb as feck.

A manager responding to a question in a press conference is completely different.

Revan

Assumptionman
Dunno who should be our captain, but Maguire being our captain is ridiculous. He is a bit shit, hasn't been here that long, and has no charisma at all.

Young and Valencia were not much better, but at least they had served here for long. Same for Rooney who had become a bit shit by the time when he became captain. Our last great captain was Vidic but even him spent the last 2-3 years on the sidelines or not being that good.

MyBloodIsRed

It was a mistake from ole in the beginning. Should’ve been DDG. Harry should’ve done the smart thing said Ronaldo should be captain while he’s back. He’s a club legend and literally one of the greatest of all time. Has won everything there is to win.

Say what you want if he gave up the RV hand. We mentality etc. But it looks like the pressure of captain CincSay what you want if he gave up the RV hand. We mentality etc. But it looks like the pressure of captaincy Has completely got to him and ruined this form especially under the watchful eye of somebody who knows a thing or two about winning and mentality

Bobade

It’s because he’s been shit. If he played well no one would say a thing.
You're supposed to be supporting the players though. As much as Maguire has been poor this season, he is United.

Does that mean he is immune from criticism? Absolutely not. But the vitriol is ridiculous. Do other club's fans behave like this on their forums? I'm not sure as I don't frequent them. But it feels like Liverpool fans wouldn't.

Maguire has underperformed this season. You could argue he has underperformed consistently In his time here (although I wouldn't agree). But he clearly cares, he is a good defender, whilst not being worth his fee. Just seems ridiculous to me the extent to which some people on this forum will slag our own players, especially one who has demonstrated no lack of passion, determination or desire. He might not be Mr charisma in interviews but so what?

Jibbs

The first the United should do is sell Mguire to Newcastle and get Konde in exchange deal with Martial.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I would pay a yearly subscription to watch both of them fight every week. Then as the week goes on, they are allowed to bring 1 player from any club to join the fight.

E.g:
Week 1 : Ronaldo vs Maguire
Week 2 : Ronaldo & Dybala vs Maguire & Lukaku
Week 3 : Ronaldo & Ramos vs Maguire & Aubameyang

Will be better than watching United play every week.

AFC NimbleThumb

Reports feel very clickbaity but honestly neither should be captaining the club, Ronaldo should no longer be an automatic starter & Maguire simply isn’t good enough.
You're supposed to be supporting the players though. As much as Maguire has been poor this season, he is United.

Does that mean he is immune from criticism? Absolutely not. But the vitriol is ridiculous. Do other club's fans behave like this on their forums? I'm not sure as I don't frequent them. But it feels like Liverpool fans wouldn't.

Maguire has underperformed this season. You could argue he has underperformed consistently In his time here (although I wouldn't agree). But he clearly cares, he is a good defender, whilst not being worth his fee. Just seems ridiculous to me the extent to which some people on this forum will slag our own players, especially one who has demonstrated no lack of passion, determination or desire. He might not be Mr charisma in interviews but so what?
The whole he’s a United player so he deserves support argument is a red herring. People want him to succeed, it’s just become clearly evident [sooner for some than others] that he’s not good enough. Blind faith isn’t supporting in good faith. If you’re looking to pedal this line I’d suggest heading to the Rooney thread re: his documentary. That’s a player who did something(s) for the club & still gets called a number of unsavoury things.

Maguire is a few years into his time here, having been promoted above his peers to captain. I agree this forum doesn’t celebrate our players [some past, some present] enough but honestly the protection Maguire continues to get from posters is exactly why it’s hard to stomach his on field displays, at what point does our £80mil captains form stop being a constant topic for debate. The criticism of Maguire is usually about his on field oafishness, other players draw far more personal criticism.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Unless you end the season on a high, Ralf should remove the captaincy from Maguire to allow the new boss to make his own mind up without the hassle of upsetting the English clique.

If the new boss picks Maguire, it's a massive boost to slabheads confidence, if he picks someone else there's far less animosity.

I don't see any point in giving the armband to Ronaldo though, he wasn't the main captain for his club ever before, was he? The captaincy won't change his game or how anyone in the squad sees him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It’s because he’s been shit. If he played well no one would say a thing.
And who else hasn't been shit ? I am no Maguire supporter but he is getting more than what he deserves. Not his problem that we paid 80m for him, not his problem that Ole made him captain.

The whole team has been crap. Singling out Maguire just shows the agenda.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Unless you end the season on a high, Ralf should remove the captaincy from Maguire to allow the new boss to make his own mind up without the hassle of upsetting the English clique.

If the new boss picks Maguire, it's a massive boost to slabheads confidence, if he picks someone else there's far less animosity.

I don't see any point in giving the armband to Ronaldo though, he wasn't the main captain for his club ever before, was he? The captaincy won't change his game or how anyone in the squad sees him.
This needs to happen.

Gordon S

We should just move on from the idea that we need an older superstar to guide the younger players.
Rashford and Martial were supposed to gain 2 levels just from sharing the same dressing room as Zlatan..
And i`m quite sure there is a similar idea behind this as well, Ronaldos mentality should rub off on the yonger players.
Great idea in theory but it just doesn`t seem to lift anyone in reality.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
They are different sides of the same problem. Ronaldo WAS a magnificent player but he now needs others to do the heavy lifting. Maguire was never a top player in the first place. Thank God we had Ole who saddled us with all these players filled with United DNA who know what playing with Manchester United is all about.

red4ever 79

They are different sides of the same problem. Ronaldo WAS a magnificent player but he now needs others to do the heavy lifting. Maguire was never a top player in the first place. Thank God we had Ole who saddled us with all these players filled with United DNA who know what playing with Manchester United is all about.
What a mess. When you look at who needs replacing in our team
AWB - Average been displaced by Dalot
Maguire - Calamity, slow, awful
Shaw - Had one good 6 month period in 6 years
Pogba - Leaving in the summer
Matic - On his last legs
McFred - Squad players at best
Rashford - Needs to be moved on, clearly there is something wrong and has been poor
Cavani - Absolute waster here
Ronaldo - 37 - Will he be here next year

Thats not including Mata, Lingard who are also out of contract in the summer. Then you have DVB and Martial on loan - why would they want to come back if they are getting games and happy

devilish

What a mess. When you look at who needs replacing in our team
AWB - Average been displaced by Dalot
Maguire - Calamity, slow, awful
Shaw - Had one good 6 month period in 6 years
Pogba - Leaving in the summer
Matic - On his last legs
McFred - Squad players at best
Rashford - Needs to be moved on, clearly there is something wrong and has been poor
Cavani - Absolute waster here
Ronaldo - 37 - Will he be here next year

Thats not including Mata, Lingard who are also out of contract in the summer. Then you have DVB and Martial on loan - why would they want to come back if they are getting games and happy
Yes it's bad but it would be manageable IF we had the right people in place. Squads go in cycles. SAF's teams had been dissembled and rebuild a couple of times as well and we remained successful.

Unfortunately we don't have the backroom staff to do that. Our scouts and analyst teams struggle to go past the obvious players, our DOF has no experience as DOF, our technical director was playing with Stoke a couple of seasons ago and our CEO & head of negotiations are bankers from Woodward's same school of excellence

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Do other club's fans behave like this on their forums? I'm not sure as I don't frequent them. But it feels like Liverpool fans wouldn't.
Weirdly it seems the criticism from most fans goes to English players. City fans have slated Sterling over the years and recently Henderson has come in for some stick from the scousers.

red4ever 79

Yes it's bad but it would be manageable IF we had the right people in place. Squads go in cycles. SAF's teams had been dissembled and rebuild a couple of times as well and we remained successful.

Unfortunately we don't have the backroom staff to do that. Our scouts and analyst teams struggle to go past the obvious players, our DOF has no experience as DOF, our technical director was playing with Stoke a couple of seasons ago and our CEO & head of negotiations are bankers from Woodward's same school of excellence
Agree. Our recruitment has been shocking also though and whoever made those decisions whether it be the board or Ole should never work in football again.

AWB
Maguire
Cavani
Diallo
Pellestri
DVB

devilish

There comes a time when you simply have to call a spade for what it is. Maguire had been messing up game after game. He's certainly not good enough. Supporting stupidity is what lead us to this silly situation. It certainly what lead us to give 415m to a shit manager who only won trophies at amateur level.

devilish

Agree. Our recruitment has been shocking also though and whoever made those decisions whether it be the board or Ole should never work in football again.

AWB
Maguire
Cavani
Diallo
Pellestri
DVB
Ole will, most certainly, never get a top job ever again. He can't be bothered coaching, he goes on holidays in the middle of a crisis, he saddles the club with friends who had failed everywhere they went and he fecked up at a low EPL level club and at Manchester United. However does the buck solely rest on Ole? What about the so called recruitment committee we keep mumbling about? What about the scouting team and the data analyst teams who came out saying that they reviewed some 5000 right backs backs only to discover AWB? Most if not all these people are still at the club.