Ronaldo & Maguire power struggle

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You know how the whole point of (Pop) Idol was to laugh at people suffering from Dunning Kruger syndrome? Maguire is the football equivalent of that.

He's a disgrace.

Someone

Something
While I think Maguire is a terrible captain, and almost certainly won't be made a captain under the new manager, I don't think now is the right time for this. Losing the captaincy now will reflect terribly on him and will create unnecessary divide within the team. Leadership doesn't require the armband, and Ronaldo can lead and be influential without being a captain.

GlasgowCeltic

Reminds me of Nevilles claim in like October that the Ronaldo and Varane signings "unnerved" Maguire

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I'd take a lot of players as captain over Maguire to be honest.

macheda14

It depends on the journalist. The publication matters little.
Yes for the majority of papers, but for those three there’s maybe one between them worth their salt.

Also go on, name the journalists who are reporting this. Are they reputable?

Rolaholic

I'd take a lot of players as captain over Maguire to be honest.
De Gea couldn't have fared any worse with the role and he's actually been an asset to the team for years.

Was surprised Bruno didn't get it at the time though even after a few months. He was the established leader of the squad by that point and playing his arse off

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Maguire basically got the role because he’s English as far as I can tell. He hasn’t been at the club very long, isn’t much of a leader or very vocal, and doesn’t inspire confidence with his performances or lead by example.

Ronaldo is probably the captain in the dressing room but then I feel like he shouldn’t be playing every game anyway. I think I’d like to see Bruno get it. He’s got the right blend of leadership and consistency. Ronaldo is probably off soon unlike him.

Tibs

Ronaldo would be a better captain than Maguire.

STYLOISRED

Reading this thread reminds me why I have avoided Redcafe so much over the past 12months. So much hate for a player who is underperforming not for lack of trying . Yet lads like Rashford get am easy pass because he is from the academy even though half the time it feels like he can't be arsed. Pathetic.
The caf has forgotten how in his first 12months at the club he was the the only fit and consistent presence in that defense.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Reading this thread reminds me why I have avoided Redcafe so much over the past 12months. So much hate for a player who is underperforming not for lack of trying . Yet lads like Rashford get am easy pass because he is from the academy even though half the time it feels like he can't be arsed. Pathetic.
The caf has forgotten how in his first 12months at the club he was the the only fit and consistent presence in that defense.
The Rashford thread is a cesspool of hatred.
Maybe refrain from commenting on the state of the Caf if you don't actually read it?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He didnt earn the armband, and seems to display no leadership qualities whatsoever. i assumed the captaincy would be addressed in the summer but if he is leaking stuff about the club then the players dont respect him as captain, thats before you get to his onfield displays
That opinion is immaterial. The armband has a level of respect that's demanded when worn. Even though I agree with you he shouldn't be captain.

pascell

Hi Harry, hand in the armband, that's a good lad.

Litch

It’s an absolute mess. I get it, some players have a loyalty to Harry over Ronaldo and why wouldn’t they? It’s no different to any workplace and I’m guessing some of these relationships exist outside of football. Not sure you can give the armband to a player that depending on where we finish, might not be here anyway. I would give it to Varane.

STYLOISRED

Hi Harry, hand in the armband, that's a good lad.
The Rashford thread is a cesspool of hatred.
Maybe refrain from commenting on the state of the Caf if you don't actually read it?
It's nothing compared to what I have read compared to Harry. I have never liked him or his style of defending. Always felt like he was trying too hard to be a hardman in defense due to his size when being smart and a little reactive (not always rushing out to challenge) and I even commented on another forum that I would not be surprised to see Lindelof become Varane's long term partner.
My issue is the abuse. Why do man UtD fans ALWAYS say such hateful things about our players???.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
This makes sense for a lot of reasons and I've been advocating for this for a few weeks. Maguire is in shocking form and should concentrate on his fitness, speed and positioning. You cannot be respected as a captain and manager when you can't walk the walk yourself - it's like s software manager that can't code ! :lol:

Ronaldo is low on confidence and maybe the captain role would help that temporarily. He is, let's be fair, a bit of a whiney bollocks though. So it might backfire. Hopefully not though.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
It's nothing compared to what I have read compared to Harry. I have never liked him or his style of defending. Always felt like he was trying too hard to be a hardman in defense due to his size when being smart and a little reactive (not always rushing out to challenge) and I even commented on another forum that I would not be surprised to see Lindelof become Varane's long term partner.
My issue is the abuse. Why do man UtD fans ALWAYS say such hateful things about our players???.
I disagree that there is no comparison. Some people absolutely despise Rashford on here.

If you disagree fine, but consider that:
Maguire is consistently stinking up the place. He's the captain, nearly always plays and his competition is outperforming him whenever they do play.
Rashford's biggest competition is practically a baby and he still gets dropped a hella of lot. Meaning he gets less time to stink up the place, and in effect, stinks up the place less.

The club isn't in a good state and I think the fact that he's the captain and has 133 caps has a lot do with it. Am I not entitled to having this opinion on him when he's been stinking it up for the better part of 3 seasons?

lilcurt

Fact is United would be all the better with Maguire out the club. He isn't a leader, isn't a starting quality CB and ultimately doesn't have the mentality to be a Manchester United player.

roseguy64

Fact is United would be all the better with Maguire out the club. He isn't a leader, isn't a starting quality CB and ultimately doesn't have the mentality to be a Manchester United player.
That's not a fact. It's your opinion.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ronaldo vs Harry
Swole doge vs Crying cheems
Giga chad vs Bad luck bryan
Goat vs Average player enjoyer

m1tch

Surely there can't possibly be a power struggle, Harry knows Ronaldo's a better centre back than him.

Abraxas

Sounds like a load of nonsense.

I think it's just a convenient article to coincide with Maguire's awful form. Stick the knife in a little bit.

Kag

This is as close to newspaper nonsense as you’re getting.

We’re an easy target at the moment and will continue to be until we’re good again. I won’t hold my breath.

RedDevil@84

So much hate for a player who is underperforming not for lack of trying
If someone puts in crap performances consistently and gets called out for it, it is not hatred. I don't know why people want the fans to sit and constantly praise Maguire, Rashford, Pogba, even when they put in crap performances.
Accepting mediocrity has been the club's bane for a decade now. Which is why we start throwing 200k and 250k contracts for 4-5 months of good form. Even the players know the template to get a flashy new silly money contract

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Ronaldo would be a better captain than Maguire.
Agreed.
The other thing I like about Ronaldo is that he still has the mentality of a winner. When he last played for MUFC, we were on top.
Maguire hasn't ever seen us at the top and certainly doesn't have the pedigree of Ronaldo, who is one of the greatest players of all time.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
If someone told you pigs can fly and I told you they can't, that doesn't necessarily mean the truth is somewhere in the middle.

This is rubbish.
If I launch a pig from a trebuchet it's sorta flying, but not of its own steam. So truth is in the middle.

Gums

I‘m not sure where the problem is. The only thing that distinguishes a captain from his teammates is that he is the one who is involved in the coin toss and who is our direct link speaking to the ref.

For all of the other qualities, i.e. leadership, role-model, etc. you do not need to be a captain. Captaincy is just about vanity.

Just to be clear, I don‘t think Maguire is suited either way. And if he, as reported, won the penalties toss and chose the goal instead of shooting first, he should not be allowed to wear that armband ever again.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
He’s just pulled the story from Falk. Can anyone really take the supposed United source serious when they’re saying

Originally, Ronaldo was asking players to back Harry. But the problem is the manager now wants Ronaldo to mentor all these younger players.

“That’s left Harry in no man’s land, as he’s the captain and having to say and follow whatever Ronaldo says, to keep everything sweet.”

It doesn’t even make any sense
It sounds like something straight out of Football Manager

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe this story is a total made up, but it is also so obvious that Maguire leadership has been non-existence. He does not lead the defence line, and he does not lead by examples.