Ronaldo & Maguire power struggle

ti vu

Doubt he had much respect to begin with tbh, there were stories of a lot of the dressing room being bemused when he got the armband.

I'm sure whatever credit in the bank he had went out the window after Mykonos.

If true he should learn that respect is earned, not given just like that. Tbf to him, not everyone is a leader and thats fine.

Unfortunately we've sorely been lacking in that department post-Fergie
Regarding the tweet, not your post. I feel it's a lot of creative writing. Can't imagine even Maguire could be this thick about having such pride. He won nothing so far in his career. Even before Ronaldo, Varane arrived, I doubt other players would follow Maguire order around out of respect, or authority of his captaincy.

For this latest tweet to has any credibility about it being briefed by some ITK at the club, IMO it has to be a pure propaganda by the club itself to ease the process to take Maguire's armband away and replace him in long term. It's unwise for an interim manager like Rangnick to take matter into own his hands to make a long term decision like that. However, there may come a point where Maguire would need to replace if his form doesn't improve, or that Maguire would never fulfill the demand of the new defensive tactic. So this is just laying the foundation for the new manager if that tough decision is needed from the get go. All of that is of course a wild conspiracy, of course.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Maguire is one of the worst captains I have ever seen at United...BUT..........He is the captain and therefore he should be respected. Yes even by Ronaldo. Its the managers decision who should be captain not the players. And also Ronaldo is 37 and everyone wanted him gone before he scored against Brighton. Is he really the answer? The solution is not as easy as it looks. Who are the options? Bruno maybe. But even he is not having the best season and is he really captaincy material. Yes he's passionate but can he be controlled and calm players down and speak with authority. I dont know but either way people thinking Rangnick should have just binned Maguire on day 2 are stupid. There is also players on Maguires side. He is our captain and has been for a while and believe or not some people respect that and will stick by him even if he is playing sht. Thats what they are supposed to do until the manager says otherwise.

This story feels like complete bullsht. If its true then yes captaincy gone. But if its not I wish the fans would stop attacking him and start supporting him sht or not until the manager says otherwise. And fans channels need to stop adding to the media circus thats just hammering the sht out of us day in day out

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yeah, it’s meaningless bollox. It’s quite possible Maguire and Ronaldo can’t stand each other. And it’s extremely likely that our dressing room is a long fecking way from being as tight as actual successful football teams (although even they had room for players that hate each other; Yorke and Sheringham, Keane and Schmeicel) but this is one of the most half-arsed and badly thought through football soap operas I’ve ever read. It is literal nonsense.
Yeah. My first problem with stories like this is they are actually entirely uninteresting and boring. Work colleagues/team members in bitching and moaning about each other shocker. I mean has anyone, ever, been in any kind of team of any kind of capacity, where this hasn't happened? It is just part of the natural conflict of being part of a team but having individuality.

My second problem is that its even more boring when its just made up. Like that story where Zaha supposedly called a team meeting with all the Crystal Palace players to moan about how shite they all were or something. The sort of thing you could maybe believe if it was Roy Keane, and even then, only because its probably what he does every morning. If you're going to make something up that just defies basic logic, why make it something that sounds like a particularly boring episode of Loose Women?

Also the way journos always back it up by saying they have "reliable sources"...there is no such thing as a reliable source for gossip. Even if it comes from someone within the club, its just the same as that work colleague everyone has who spouts bollocks about their co-workers because they don't have anything else to talk about. It doesn't even matter if the source is real anyway as unless there's something libel in there, there's 0 chance of comeback.

clarkydaz

Maguire is one of the worst captains I have ever seen at United...BUT..........He is the captain and therefore he should be respected. Yes even by Ronaldo. Its the managers decision who should be captain not the players. And also Ronaldo is 37 and everyone wanted him gone before he scored against Brighton. Is he really the answer? The solution is not as easy as it looks. Who are the options? Bruno maybe. But even he is not having the best season and is he really captaincy material. Yes he's passionate but can he be controlled and calm players down and speak with authority. I dont
This story feels like complete bullsht. If its true then yes captaincy gone. But if its not I wish the fans would stop attacking him and start supporting him sht or not until the manager says otherwise. And fans channels need to stop adding to the media circus thats just hammering the sht out of us day in day out
Why? He is a laughing stock

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
They've had a go at Rashford, that didn't stick, now they're having a go at Maguire.

I'm no great fan of Maguire and I don't think he should be United captain, but this story is clearly complete bullshit.

I don't even understand it. We're struggling for top 4 and the idiots in the media are trying to unsettle us, as if we're top of the league and on track for another treble.

I hope this galvanises the team and makes us stronger.

Sweet Square

Regarding the tweet, not your post. I feel it's a lot of creative writing. Can't imagine even Maguire could be this thick about having such pride. He won nothing so far in his career. Even before Ronaldo, Varane arrived, I doubt other players would follow Maguire order around out of respect, or authority of his captaincy.

Giggsy13

Clickbait nonsense. I'm sure things are not completely rosy in the United locker room but this low level of reporting and supporters sucking it all up is fairly embarrassing.

clarkydaz

He wears the armband so irrespective of the performances there is a degree of expectation to respect him.
He didnt earn the armband, and seems to display no leadership qualities whatsoever. i assumed the captaincy would be addressed in the summer but if he is leaking stuff about the club then the players dont respect him as captain, thats before you get to his onfield displays

UpWithRivers

Why? He is a laughing stock
Because he's the Captain. Like I dont like Poch but if he's manager then I will support him. Thats what you do. And if you play football you stick by your captain. Ive played under many a sht captains. I didnt challenge their authority every chance I got. Why? Because he is the captain. Thats how it works. Or at least thats how I thought it worked.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
But when? The season is almost over and Ronaldo won’t be at United next season
Ronaldo has another season on his contract with an option for a third.

Don't be so certain he's leaving. If he's made captain, it makes even more of a probability that he stays on

Apokalips

We need to stop giving these stories the attention - it only breeds more fake news and allows the dark cloud of negativity linger longer.
100%. These "journalists" cruise forums and look at reactions to this and create more drama. Funny seeing Rashford respond the other day about them making up nonsense to create divisions. Sad thing is the divisions are being created among the fanbase and against the players as a result.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Will be amusing to see the backtracking on here if Maguire does indeed give up the armband.

clarkydaz

Because he's the Captain. Like I dont like Poch but if he's manager then I will support him. Thats what you do. And if you play football you stick by your captain. Ive played under many a sht captains. I didnt challenge their authority every chance I got. Why? Because he is the captain. Thats how it works. Or at least thats how I thought it worked.
You may need to tell Ronaldo this

Mainoldo

If he loses the captaincy he might aswell leave in the summer.

I’m all for it.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I just realized that Ronaldo never had a greek teammate? He is probably regretting it right now.
After Euro 2004, he had it written into every contract he's ever signed. No Greeks, no gyros and no #17.

UpWithRivers

Will be amusing to see the backtracking on here if Maguire does indeed give up the armband.
Why. Maguire wont give up the armband. It will be taken from him. By the manager. And if thats the case we support the manager. Right now he is being hung, drawn and quartered by the friggin Mirror. Its like an alcoholic junkie saying your missis is cheating on you. You gonna take him at his word and throw your missis out the house or wait to see if there is any truth in it.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
It's bemused me in recent weeks how often he's in shot brushing his fringe out the way.
Might just be a habit but I can't remember seeing a football player do it as much.
Brandon Williams is the undisputed king of fringe fopping. It all started under Oles watch #OLEOUT

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The Earth is flat.

Oh, no. There are so many rumors and people that believe it. No smoke without fire. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Why. Maguire wont give up the armband. It will be taken from him. By the manager. And if thats the case we support the manager. Right now he is being hung, drawn and quartered by the friggin Mirror. Its like an alcoholic junkie saying your missis is cheating on you. You gonna take him at his word and throw your missis out the house or wait to see if there is any truth in it.
I just meant from the perspective of all the posters dismissing it out of hand like they do most things that are negative.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Look at all the people in this thread believing we have a united dressing and there's nothing to see here.

They probably also believe Boris Johnson was working at those parties.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I mean, pigs can jump which is literally the middle.
:lol: :lol:
maguire is like one of those weird 17 year old kids that hangs around with 12 year olds to make himself feel better about how shit and unpopular he is. all his other scrotey mates have gone off to do apprenticeships or nvqs and he‘s left hanging about outside nisa on a tuesday night, desperate for validation in his shit life choices.

the youngun’s at united used to hang off his every word. they’d gather around him and lap up the stories of how maguire saw “15 or 16 greekos“ off by himself before anthony joshua arrived and said “i’m on holiday but I had to come over and say I’m glad you’re such a fast and well respected centre back as if you did boxing you’d be able to beat me and colin mcgregors in a boxing fight.” they’d look on in awe at maguire recanting the tale of him “smashing 14 or 15 pints before going in to the ’bombs“ and then turning up at old trafford to flail at championship level strikers.

ronaldo has turned up and gone “look at that loser. why would you want to be like that? eat chicken and just commit alleged crimes like me and you could also be the second best player of your generation too.”

maguire looks over to rangnick for support but he’s busy listening to techno and watching videos of angela merkel on youtube.
Whenever I see your name on a post I know I'll love it :lol:
So by that rationale trump was president and bodying boris is pm, we should support and stand by them despite them being woefully out of their depth? Incompetence should be fought and challenged.

Polar

I’m not surprised if Ronaldo is a disruptive element within the squad; undermining authorities covertly (manager, captain).

Ronaldo isn’t happy with the situation, and I’m sure he express his dissatisfaction to other players. Fanboys like Pogba, Lingard, Fred and Dalot listen to Ronaldo with big ears and Ronaldo know he can twin them around his finger.

I agree Maguire is embarrassing on the pitch right now, but it’s even worse if someone try to take advantage of the situation and starts a power struggle for his own sake. That is eventually very damaging to the team.

As I said: I’m not surprised if Ronaldo has started to take action. He is a self centric person who doesn’t care much for other than himself.

UpWithRivers

:lol: :lol:

Whenever I see your name on a post I know I'll love it :lol:

So by that rationale trump was president and bodying boris is pm, we should support and stand by them despite them being woefully out of their depth? Incompetence should be fought and challenged.
Politics and football is completely different things. Its your democratic right to vote and decide on the presidency and protest. Ronaldo has no right to challenge the captaincy and demand he gets it instead. None. Thats friggin madness.

Castia

Why stop at stripping the captaincy off him? Get him on the transfer list as well he’s shite

RedDevil@84

I agree Maguire is embarrassing on the pitch right now, but it’s even worse if someone try to take advantage of the situation and starts a power struggle for his own sake
Or one could start a power struggle when you see the the one given the power is s**t at the job. Incompetence need not be encouraged by everyone.