Ronaldo | Refused to come on as sub, left OT | Axed from squad for Chelsea & fined 2 weeks wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To make him warm up and then take him out to play for a couple of minutes, with the game decided, is very humiliating for one of the best players in history.
It would be better if he had left him out for the whole game.
As bad as he is now, I think the coach should manage these situations better, although obviously I don't justify Cristiano.
So being a team player is an humiliation? We are not talking about prime Ronaldo but one that is generally struggling beyond a few minutes.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There was a post recently that showed a bunch of Madrid players, as well as Casemiro, posting pictures with Benzema to congratulate him after winning the Balon Dor, while Ronaldo posted a photo of himself. There’s endless evidence as to the sort of person he is.
That’s least bit surprising and yet unreal at the same time.

Infestissumam

With everything thats happened prior to that… I think the manager has accommodated him far enough if I’m honest.
yeah I think that is an understatement. I think he's been very pragmatic primarily because we're light in attack, but in any case, you can't accuse ten Hag of not trying to make this work.

JustinC00

Ruined his reputation at United for me.
He ruined it a decade ago when he referred himself as a slave while being paid well and winning trophies with us because he wasn't getting his big move to Madrid.

204Red

Logistically... can he play in the world cup if he is not registered with a club side?

Ladron de redcafe

Funny enough, almost all of Benzema's ex-teammates congratulated him and paid tribute to him publicly for his B'Dor win.

The glaring omission until now? You guessed it :lol:

Par for the course though for that egomaniac
You just know he was seething :lol:

RedDevil@84

Are there reliable sources that can confirm whether he actually refused to come on as a sub?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
IF THE STORY IS TRUE. At this point, it's probably the best for United to have him out of the first team for a while. Said it before, once you let player with rotten attitude gets away with things, it will be contagious to the rest.

Rolaholic

Are there reliable sources that can confirm whether he actually refused to come on as a sub?
Whitwell and Wheeler are reliable, literally all the other top journos (Ducker, DiMarzio, Stone, Romano, Ornstein) have basically parroted the reporting

Jaykespeare88

Diva Ronallddoooo. Diva Ronallldooooo.
walking out that team,
like a drama queen,
See ya
ronallldoooo

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
So being a team player is an humiliation? We are not talking about prime Ronaldo but one that is generally struggling beyond a few minutes.
But they are not all the same.
For example, Marcelo is not Mariano. If you don't trust Marcelo you give him an easy game but you don't take him off to go to the dressing room two minutes later.
It's respect between top professionals. In the same way that you don't substitute a player in the 25th minute not to point the finger at him

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
To make him warm up and then take him out to play for a couple of minutes, with the game decided, is very humiliating for one of the best players in history.
As bad as he is now, I think the coach should manage these situations better, although obviously I don't justify Cristiano.
That's not humiliating, that's just part of being a footballer. No matter how good you once were, at a certain stage of your career you'll be coming on late in the game.

Valencia Shin Crosses

IF THE STORY IS TRUE. At this point, it's probably the best for United to have him out of the first team for a while. Said it before, once you let player with rotten attitude gets away with things, it will be contagious to the rest.
Given the timing I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last we see of him. World Cup is coming soon, and then the January window will be open after that.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
His performances are the only thing that have have been humiliating.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
For example, Marcelo is not Mariano. If you don't trust Marcelo you give him an easy game but you don't take him off to go to the dressing room two minutes later.
It's respect between top professionals. In the same way that you don't substitute a player in the 25th minute not to point the finger at him
Why? Today Ronaldo is no better than Mariano, if he wants to be part of a team then he needs to understand his station. It makes no sense for anyone involved to pretend that we are talking about prime Ronaldo.

Rolaholic

Pretty crazy that someone else with an ego that carries its own gravitational pull like Zlatan has been able to age gracefully and accept his decline, in a lesser league no less, and current position in the game yet Ronaldo who's 3 years younger truly cannot

poleglass red

I'm not understanding your reasoning. He's 37, had no preseason, he clearly hasn't got his match sharpness yet, he just started previous game. Bringing him in dying minutes in our best performance in a long time, the crowd were chanting his name throughout, it would have added to the feel good factor at the ground. We've games coming thick and fast, our only other striker is perma injured. He's a world cup on the horizon, you think he'd want minutes. If ETH wanted to disrespect him, he'd of brought him on in 2nd half v City

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
I wise man once told me no matter how talented you are, nobody will take you seriously as a leader if you allow insubordination. It doesn't matter how humiliating it was for Ronaldo and whether or not ETH should not have played him. He has to be severely punished for that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Given the timing I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last we see of him. World Cup is coming soon, and then the January window will be open after that.
True. It is sad that it ends up this way, but you just can't tolerate this kind of attitude.

Idxomer

The game before last he spent ages getting off the pitch while shaking his head till he sat in the stands, it was a game where we needed a goal and he was wasting time while making his feelings known to everyone.

He lost the right to any special treatment at this moment.

Kopral Jono

Totally agree and do not expect Ronaldo to see his error.

I am just making the point other United legends have done some not awesome things as well.
It's honestly not that hard to grasp the concept that being an occasional pain in the backside as well as a United legend aren't mutually exclusive. Let's not forget that people, irrespective of who they are, can be pretty fecking complicated.

This doesn't change the fact that now Ronaldo needs to feck off, though. No one is bigger than the club.

Relfy

Correct decision to drop him from the squad. The manager has to show who is in charge for the rest of the group. Hopefully this is settled now. I’d expect him to be shifted on in January.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Let's all take a deep breath.

Ronaldo crossed a line. No two ways around that. But let's not act like he is the first United player to do so, here is one club legend who also crossed a line...

Scholes

Now, if Ronaldo wants back he needs to beg forgiveness. If not then we need to move on.

We were too dynamic last night and if a 37 year old Ronaldo can't see that I am sorry for him. Amazing player but not without flaws and as any long time fan knows time waits for no man... or player.
I don't recall an active player (and he was, as he could still be subbed in) ever voluntarily leaving a pitch. The exception I recall was a player leaving as a protest against racist chants.

The Scholes situation is prpbably something that happens often and is solved internally at clubs.

Ronaldo just publicly humilliated himself and his team. For no reason other than he was pissed because they were doing fine without him. I'm sure if United was losing he'd just sit there until the end with that punchable sarcastic smirk on his face we all know.

Something incredibly unique happens with one of the most notorious players ever at one of the biggest football clubs ever and there are people arguing it's not worth discussing.

People who admire Ronaldo other than for his sporting ability (I mean the "great captain" crowd, at one of the most anti-captain players ever) are the football equivalent of Elon Musk fans.

jeff_goldblum

My suspicion is that he's anxiously looking over his shoulder at Messi creeping up on his club goal tally/record whilst he sits on the bench.

But really he's got no-one to blame but himself. He's put himself in this position by demanding a ludicrous wage packet which far outstrip his ability to contribute. Plenty of clubs might have taken him in the Summer, but his wage demands restricted his choices to staying here under a manager building for the future who isn't terrified of upsetting him, or playing in one of the oil state leagues where anything he achieves with have a big asterisk next to it.

Amir

So we should have a subs bench that includes players who can come on at any given time, and one player with limits based on the need to 'respect' him?

Status
Not open for further replies.