Ronaldo | Refused to come on as sub, left OT | Axed from squad for Chelsea & fined 2 weeks wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

That's not humiliating, that's just part of being a footballer. No matter how good you once were, at a certain stage of your career you'll be coming on late in the game.
That's the old saying "you are only as good as your last game". Time catches up with everyone, playing players because of what they have done or can do is nonsense.

If he was warming up to come on and ETH changes his mind he has to respect that decison. The game was done, he shouldn't even expect to come on for a token few minutes at this stage in his career. Because of who he is. Walking away like a child is the main talking point and only takes away from the rest of the teams performance.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
To make him warm up and then take him out to play for a couple of minutes, with the game decided, is very humiliating for one of the best players in history.
It would be better if he had left him out for the whole game.
As bad as he is now, I think the coach should manage these situations better, although obviously I don't justify Cristiano.
How is it humiliating? Ronaldo chose to not bother with pre-season, spat his dummy out, and wanted to move. Now he's moaning about not playing enough when he's been awful.

poleglass red

That's the old saying "you are only as good as your last game".

Time catches up with everyone, playing players because of what they have done or can do is nonsense.
exactly, and even more so, on those that didn't have a preseason

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Well, I gave a few of you some inside info from the club I had over the summer, vis a vis Ronaldo, so to those this should come as no surprise.

Valencia Shin Crosses

True. It is sad that it ends up this way, but you just can't tolerate this kind of attitude.
Yep. I loved Ronaldo, but it's pure selfish delusion at this point at with the squad/club in the place that is (rebuilding and on the rise from the fecking bottomless pit of despair that was last season), it's better to just let the circus leave town.

GlasgowCeltic

Get him outta here, refusing to play and showing up in an Elton John earring at 37, guy is absolutely clapped

90 + 5min

Club did right thing. Nothing else can be said. There are rules. Rules are to be followed. If you break them, there should be consequences.

He should apologise and if he doesn't I think we can say that he doesn't deserve to be in our shirt anymore. I always respected him and defended his qualities. He is one of the best players ever but rules are there to follow. No player is bigger than club.

Gazza

Well, I gave a few of you some inside info from the club I had over the summer, vis a vis Ronaldo, so to those this should come as no surprise.
simonhch said:
From what I’ve learned from behind the scenes, Ronaldo is extremely toxic . He has to go, and the sooner it happens, the better.
simonhch said:
Yes, genuine. I PM’d another poster the details because he asked. If you PM me then I’ll fill you in.
You tease!

always_hoping

Alex Ferguson in 2013: “The minute a Manchester United player thinks or acts likes he's bigger and more important than the manager, he has to go.”

Gazza

Did I not PM you at the time? Almost seems redundant now, but I can send you the info I sent out over the summer that basically predicts all this in quite a lot of detail.
You PM'ed me a picture of your cock out and said we were signing De Jong. I did ask for the former myself tbf

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not understanding your reasoning. He's 37, had no preseason, he clearly hasn't got his match sharpness yet, he just started previous game. Bringing him in dying minutes in our best performance in a long time, the crowd were chanting his name throughout, it would have added to the feel good factor at the ground. We've games coming thick and fast, our only other striker is perma injured. He's a world cup on the horizon, you think he'd want minutes. If ETH wanted to disrespect him, he'd of brought him on in 2nd half v City
So we should have a subs bench that includes players who can come on at any given time, and one player with limits based on the need to 'respect' him?
That's what happens when you have to manage the retirement of a legend, it's a big problem, it's difficult and it requires good dressing room management.
They don't want to play rubbish time with the game decided. Those minutes are played by kids from the youth academy, a mid-level player or someone coming back from injury.
Discuss with him privately how much he will play or play 45 minutes against crap teams but don't make him irrelevant(even if he is).
We all know what Cristiano is like but I don't think Modric, Kroos,Benzema, Messi etc would be happy with something similar.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Surely no coming back from this without a growling apology. We've watched him shit on the club since the end of last season. But surely the final straw here? If he can't get a club interested in January without us having to compensate him, can we not just fine him at every possible opportunity until January and publicly declare that he's free to leave (for free) if he can garner interest but the club doesn't want to continue paying wages after he's been transferred?

Lee565

If we release him it will be really interesting who would take him on at a time where the circus around him and huge wages is not worth the hugely declining ability of a 38 year old man child

crossy1686

career ending
If we release him it will be really interesting who would take him on at a time where the circus around him and huge wages is not worth the hugely declining ability of a 38 year old man child
There’s hundreds of clubs that would take a punt on Ronaldo, maybe 98 of them wouldn’t interest him but he won’t be short of offers on a free

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That's what happens when you have to manage the retirement of a legend, it's a big problem, it's difficult and it requires good dressing room management.
They don't want to play rubbish time with the game decided. Those minutes are played by kids from the youth academy, a mid-level player or someone coming back from injury.
Discuss with him privately how much he will play or play 45 minutes against crap teams but don't make him irrelevant(even if he is).
We all know what Cristiano is like but I don't think Modric, Kroos,Benzema, Messi etc would be happy with something similar.
It really depends on the player I think. Some just retire while still being able to be part of the first team, for those there never is a true discussion. Some leave the club where they are a legend to still be able to play (Iniesta or Raul come to my mind in that category), some take on kind of a mentoring role as a slow shift into often a youth coach role or something like that and don't mind if they play some minutes if they are needed, and then there are the egomaniacs that don't want to accept that their time is gone...

If I had to guess for your players I'd say Kroos and Messi will retire "early" before they stop being first choice, Benzema will take on a kind of "super sub" role where he just feels ready to save his club if the kids fail to do so and Modric shift into the "mentor role". But that's obviously just wild speculation :lol:

Lee565

If he doesn't play again before the world cup, will he even be starter for Portugal whilst being clearly not match fit

Jericho

Love Rio for the player he was for us, but he talks a lot of shite, and isn't worth listening to (like most other ex-players).
Man Utd have one of their best performances in probably a decade and he's whining that Ronaldo didn't start. He appears to be another Ronaldo FC fanboy. He's even setting himself up to be outraged on Ronnies behalf at the weekend with this quote: "My only thought could be is that Cristiano Ronaldo is being saved for the weekend against Chelsea". C'mon Rio you don't believe that, you knew he was never starting that one. And if you did think he was being saved for Chelsea than why the outrage now over this game? Him, Keane and a couple of others have shown themselves to be more concerned with Ronaldo getting his minutes than what's best for the team.

The performance and result yesterday justified the team selection. End of.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yep. I loved Ronaldo, but it's pure selfish delusion at this point at with the squad/club in the place that is (rebuilding and on the rise from the fecking bottomless pit of despair that was last season), it's better to just let the circus leave town.
I still love him as a player. But "love" doesn't mean you have to put up with everything.

Hopefully we can get a striker that can make whatever Ronaldo acting is, become irrelevant.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Did I not PM you at the time? Almost seems redundant now, but I can send you the info I sent out over the summer that basically predicts all this in quite a lot of detail.
you’re just piggy backing off my predictions. here’s what i pm’d @horsechoker at the end of july.

hey babes,

just fyi. i’ve heard rumours from people that ronaldo really rates himself and is a nightmare to deal with behind the scenes. he thinks he’s better than everyone else. a’lot at the club are getting sick of it. there’s a feeling it’ll come to a head in october during the spurs game, where he’ll refuse to be subbed off and storm down the tunnel. even going as far as leaving old trafford, all whilst there are still a couple of minutes left on the clock. ten hag is furious about it apparently.

as always, mum’s the word. and speaking of her, she wants to know when you’re coming over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.