Ronaldo | Refused to come on as sub, left OT | Axed from squad for Chelsea & fined 2 weeks wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

suheilsworld

I just hope we are not daft and end up paying part of his salary while we loan him out. Let him cover that / let his agent find a deal that doesn’t impact our finances. Our stays on the bench

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I am just saying a club could take a punt on him for 6 months.
A team that progressed in the CL will never ppwy him based on his current form, fitness, workrate and attitude. He is shit, and other clubs know that. Otherwise, they would have taken a punt in the summer already

sugar_kane

On the wage thing can a new club not just pay him whatever he was due (or most of it) as a signing on fee, and we let him go on a free? It equates to about £13m.

Idxomer

A year earlier, United was also the only club prepared to pay a fee for him.

Demanding a fee for him last summer is the equivalent of not allowing him to leave. This of course if he had any offers with no fee involved.

Last edited:

steffyr2

I just hope we are not daft and end up paying part of his salary while we loan him out. Let him cover that / let his agent find a deal that doesn’t impact our finances. Our stays on the bench
If Utd can't tolerate him having a sad face while not playing, then drop him from the squad (and pay him 500K/week) or pay him 500K/week and loan him out.

BTW, didn't SAF drop the senior players not be in the squad when they weren't playing? That's a memory I have -- where people use to laud Sir Alex's man-management skills where he'd tell player x (Giggs, Rio, Gary) -- "You're not playing in this game because I'm getting you ready for this other game." How cleverly he kept those players happy even though they weren't playing every game.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I would pay him off but I am still at a loss as to why we need to.
He is the one that doesn't want to be here.
You pay off a player you want out against his will.
This bloke wants to feck off

Last edited:

Grande

A year earlier, United was also the only club prepared to pay a fee for him.

Demanding a fee for him last summer is the equivalent of not allowing him to leave. This of course if he had any offers with no fee involved.
That’s a confused summary, because transfer fee and salary is both part of the package.

If Ronaldo in 2021 didn’t want 500k weekly in salary, more clubs would pay a fee to get him. If he wanted 100k a week, many clubs would offer fees, some higher than others.

Which also means that the only way you can construe this as ‘Ronaldo not allowed to leave’, is if you think that Ronaldo is forced against his will to demand 500k a week, or 400k, or 300k, or 200k. Poor sod. Wish somebody forced me to demand that much (and then gave it to me).

dogrob

Just Watching The Wheels Go Round And Round
Cristiano is one of those rare footballers that make the history books. I don't think it would be too hard for ETH not to provoke him by ordering him to warm up for half the game only to ridicule him in the final minute by asking him to come in. Also against City, 4-0 down and not letting him in shows that ETH is not treating him respectfully. That said, Ronaldo is also at fault with his reaction but yes some players are indeed entitled to have demands. 5 Ballon d'or, record top scorer at club and international level, the only Ballon d’or winner from the PL in my lifetime, and countless individual records does create a rightful sense of entitlement. Let alone the fact that it's in this United forward line that he demands some play time and not City.

Cristiano is a big part of our history and as a Utd fan I adore the man. The thing that baffles me about this whole saga is why didn’t they just let Ronaldo leave in the summer when he wanted??

I still think Cristiano can score goals for this team, especially given the current forward line which is struggling bigtime to make an impact. Defenders are snuffing them out too easily. Rashford and Sancho are still far from the mark of what they should be. Martial is always injured. I think the best utilisation for Cristiano would be to say to him we are going to play pressing football by default and you don't have the legs to do that anymore but we need you for a very dangerous plan B where when we are struggling to break a team down we completely switch to a long ball counter attack style of play with you getting on the end of balls against tired defenders. Cristiano would have scored the chances Rashford squandered against Newcastle and Chelsea.
Have you considered that the Team is called Manchester United and not Manchester Ronaldo and as for Ten Hag disrepcting Ronaldo what is he doing since the start of the season with his petulance time after time, and regarding letting him go United would have but guess what no one was interested in him.

CM

Ten Hag has managed this situation perfectly so far. Hopefully Ronaldo will be gone by January but if we're able to get rid sooner, even better.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Chelsea are supposedly interested in him but this definitely won’t sit well with Ronaldo’s ego:

https://

twitter.com/messimx30iiii/status/1584436439743619072?s=46&t=CGZnm0HTH_PBvD96jy16Sg

Idxomer

That’s a confused summary, because transfer fee and salary is both part of the package.

If Ronaldo in 2021 didn’t want 500k weekly in salary, more clubs would pay a fee to get him. If he wanted 100k a week, many clubs would offer fees, some higher than others.

Which also means that the only way you can construe this as ‘Ronaldo not allowed to leave’, is if you think that Ronaldo is forced against his will to demand 500k a week, or 400k, or 300k, or 200k. Poor sod. Wish somebody forced me to demand that much (and then gave it to me).
"Not allowing him to leave" may have been the wrong expression but the club was making it more difficult for him to find another club by demanding a transfer fee. It's normally easier to make a deal for a player without the need to negotiate with a club and Ronaldo seemed willing to take a pay cut to leave.

Almost all clubs don't think they should pay a transfer fee for a 37-year-old if it's Ronaldo and he's only demanding 200k a week.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
"Not allowing him to leave" may have been the wrong expression but the club was making it more difficult for him to find another club by demanding a transfer fee. It's normally easier to make a deal for a player without the need to negotiate with a club and Ronaldo seemed willing to take a pay cut to leave.

Almost all clubs don't think they should pay a transfer fee for a 37-year-old if it's Ronaldo and he's only demanding 200k a week.
And yet it didn't look like anyone was really interested.

"A great player with a great history" was what Bayern's CEO said recently when asked about Ronaldo... didn't sound like he sees a great present or even future for Ronaldo.

KeanoMagicHat

Ronaldo this season has an average rating of 6.36 when he has played, 18th in the squad, worse than Elanga.

Pass success average - 18th
Key passes per game - 10th
Dribbles per game - 12th
Average passes per game - 17th

Mediocre

To compare Ronaldo’s stats to his last season in La Liga:

Pass accuracy - Now: 74%, then 82%
Key passes per game - Now: 0.8, then 1.4
Dribbles per game - Now 0.3, then 1.1
Shots per game - Now 2, then 6.6
Passes per game - Now 14, then 27
Goals per game - Now 0.16, then 1 per game

I don't get how Sancho repeatedly starts - meaning we shift Rashford as a CF where he's poor - and Ronaldo is repeatedly benched after one anonymous game.

Ronaldo, once he suffers his punishment, needs to start from now on in till Martial comes back.
Ronaldo has been the 18th best player in the squad by average rating when he has played this season. He’s been poor, far worse than Rashford and Sancho.

Greck

I still think Cristiano can score goals for this team, especially given the current forward line which is struggling bigtime to make an impact. Defenders are snuffing them out too easily. Rashford and Sancho are still far from the mark of what they should be. Martial is always injured. I think the best utilisation for Cristiano would be to say to him we are going to play pressing football by default and you don't have the legs to do that anymore but we need you for a very dangerous plan B where when we are struggling to break a team down we completely switch to a long ball counter attack style of play with you getting on the end of balls against tired defenders. Cristiano would have scored the chances Rashford squandered against Newcastle and Chelsea.
This is disrespectful to Rashford and ETH which is off because Rashford does a number of things to warrant criticism, it's just being less impactful than CR isn't one. First of all Ronaldo is not a starter. This is how squad players are supposed to be used. People need to stop trying to sneak him into the starting xi when his actual performances barely warrant a sub cameo.

Secondly. Rashford has given defenders far more headache than Ronaldo, especially when they've shared the pitch. Calling him easier to snuff out than Ronaldo just blatantly disregards what is in front of us. Against Newcastle how come Ronaldo wasn't getting on the end of those opportunities Rashford had despite playing three times the minutes? The notion that he's better than Rashford just because we criticize Rash heavily has to be the biggest misunderstanding on here.

Lastly that direct to Ronaldo style is predictable easy to snuff out football and has already cost us games. We play like a garbage Tony Pulis team when we play to Ronaldo. We barely break down anyone while doing it. We become basically a slightly better version of Moyes's 81 cross United. We don't even mix it up after it's obvious. Just keep spamming chips and long balls to Ronaldo. Even Omonia shut it down easily till Rash and Martial came on.

Last edited:

Dve

When Ole was in charge he dropped Ronaldo at the start of the season for the game against everton. There was media outrage and fergie came out and said Ronaldo must start, or you must start your best players. Ole never dared dropped him again after that.

And lets not forget Fergie suggested Ole to the board as a interim manager and before that Fergie recommended David Moyes to this club.

So I don't think it's a long shot to assume he had a part to play in bringing Ronaldo back as there were wide reports that a personal phone call between the two was the clincher in sealing the deal
Why would he drop him anyway? Our top scorer and arguably our best player last season, and with no other strikers available.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
If Ronaldo is so desperate to leave that he's refusing to come on and then storm down the tunnel then surely he would be willing to forgo his owed wages and agree to terminate his contract? If not, then he should shut up, accept his role on the bench and finish his current deal. There is absolutely no way we should be paying the remainder of his contract for him to leave in January.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
So the narrative from Keane and Rio is that he isnt being communicated to well enough. Basically they are trying to throw Ten Hag under the bus for their old team mate.
It's ridiculous. Understandable probably, because they know him personally and there is a sort of loyalty there. Which is more than you can say for the Ronaldo fanboys out there.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So the narrative from Keane and Rio is that he isnt being communicated to well enough. Basically they are trying to throw Ten Hag under the bus for their old team mate.
These ex-players/now shitty pundits really care only about their pals. Ole was protected, ETH not, despite doing every single thing so much better. Glad no one cares really what they say

Tibs

Hopefully he starts in Europa this week - and scores a hat trick.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He must have a very particular idea on how he should be managed at his age and considers a waste or that it does more harm to him to play the final minutes in a game that is already solved.

I think he might be right but still that's something you talk in private with the manager and refusing to come out is like a big sign of insubordination, he shouldn't be doing that and the punishment seems appropiate. Aside from that it shouldn't be that big of a deal as it's something it has been already dealt with and everyone needs to move on.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
BTW, didn't SAF drop the senior players not be in the squad when they weren't playing? That's a memory I have -- where people use to laud Sir Alex's man-management skills where he'd tell player x (Giggs, Rio, Gary) -- "You're not playing in this game because I'm getting you ready for this other game." How cleverly he kept those players happy even though they weren't playing every game.
I think Ronaldo would be more in line with that, he must consider a waste to be on the bench and just come out for the last minutes. Then Manchester United doesn't have a lot of options for the striker position to begin with, so he should also understand that. Anyway it's really bad that a player refuses to come out and it's all on him but something needs to be done on the management side as well to prevent this for happening again.

Infestissumam

it's a last resort to somehow defend their pal. They can't argue that what Ronaldo did was okay, because it wasn't. They can't argue that Ronaldo deserves to start, because he doesn't (well, Keane tried to make that point anyway :houllier: ). So what's left? There's got to be something, because in their minds, it can't possibly be Ronaldos fault ... so it's got to be down to "communication". It's quite pathetic how they are trying to spin this, but it is what it is.

Greck

Why would he drop him anyway? Our top scorer and arguably our best player last season, and with no other strikers available.
it actually made a lot of sense. Back then we still had strikers. In fact that very failure to rotate would contribute to disgruntling our other strikers to want to leave. There was no merit in selection, it defeated the purpose of competition. Also being our so called top scorer should never have made him above rotation, he had like 10 games without a goal, we needed production and weren't allowed to try anything else during the frame because King Ronaldo had to play every minute. Talk about being the solution to problems his presence creates. At this point the Ronaldo experience feels like getting scammed. Like unintentionally blocking 2 sitters against Everton so his goal looked like the defacto winner that saved us 3 points or forcing an uberpredictable playstyle that makes him look like the only competent player being let down by poor playmakers.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

Spot on :lol: :houllier:
Rio really should shut up on that topic. Ronaldo is the first to raise his hand and say I made a mistake - well, he bloody didn't, so what are you talking about? As if any strong manager would tolerate player who wants to come on because he prepared all week. Well, that's his bloody job

it actually made a lot of sense. Back then we still had strikers. In fact that very failure to rotate would contribute to disgruntling our other strikers to want to leave. There was no merit in selection, it defeated the purpose of competition. Also being our so called top scorer should never have made him above rotation, he had like 10 games without a goal,
Lots of jumbling up of timelines going on here. The longest Ronaldo went without a goal while Ole was in charge was 4 league games (and he was consistently scoring in the Champions League during this time). He was performing consistently, and the alternatives (Cavani and Martial) had fitness problems even then. I'm almost certain Cavani played (at least made an appearance) in every league game he was available for under Ole, anyway.

On topic - I just made the mistake of reading the transcript of Keane's comments from Saturday. Absolute garbage, as one would expect from him. Ten Hag's dealt with this brilliantly and he needs all of Ronaldo's ex-teammates (especially the ones who've spent years hammering the rest of our squad for "downing tools" and / or "throwing managers under the bus") in the media to shut their mouths.

Status
Not open for further replies.