Ronaldo | Refused to come on as sub, left OT | Axed from squad for Chelsea & fined 2 weeks wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

No. Rio is claiming that the club or manager has not defined Cristiano's role clearly and have not told him beforehand whether he is a first choice or backup or VDB.
That's up to Ronaldo isn't it. His performances so far don't warrant a starting place. Pretty simple

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He was injured for about half of his time there and he still somehow got more minutes.
Well he scored 1 goal in 12 games there, and 1 goal in 11 games for us last season (total 2 goals in 23 games)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is right, and probably even better - only problem is that was 6 years ago. He needs to get back to 2022
Actually he was right if also include last season, which isn’t long ago to be fair.

21-22: 24 goals in 3071 mins
22-23: 2 goals in 691 mins

Overall: 26 goals in 3762 mins

Average 1 goals per 144 mins

Isle

What are you talking about ole? Last season, Ole put him on rest for just one game and received the shit load of storm. After a difficult result, he said it clearly, “something has to give”. Then, he had to start Ronaldo the next game and eventually lost his job.
the top hierarchy created such a shit business to bring Ronaldo back and we are still here discussing how to clean up the messy. Sign…
This explains we went from 2nd in 20/21 to total collapse in 21/22. I don't think Ole is a mastermind of a manager, but still a club and a decent team doesn't just collapse on it own. Ronaldo signing caused so much issues in the dressing room because of the privileges and before Ronaldo joined we started the season really well. I'm not saying other players are free of fault, but there has been clear divide in the dressing room and which now ETH has been largely able to unite and made himself the main man who calls all the shots. Now we fans should back this team and the manager even if the road is bumpy this year.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ronaldo may not do it intentionally, but he is far more toxic than anything Pogba gave us.

We will never fully progress until he's moved on and replaced. It's a shame it's got to this point but his 'circus' is just far too distracting.

ETH is doing an amazing job having to deal with this in his first season with us.

Marwood

Ronaldo may not do it intentionally, but he is far more toxic than anything Pogba gave us.

We will never fully progress until he's moved on and replaced. It's a shame it's got to this point but his 'circus' is just far too distracting.

ETH is doing an amazing job having to deal with this in his first season with us.
Seems to be more distracting for the fans than the players.

I didn't notice any negative Ronadlo effects against Cheslea. Best we've played there in years.

Adam-Utd

Seems to be more distracting for the fans than the players.

I didn't notice any negative Ronadlo effects against Cheslea. Best we've played there in years.
Because he wasn't there perhaps?

ETH is being asked about Ronaldo in every press conference, before every game and after. How that isn't distracting?

Marwood

Because he wasn't there perhaps?

ETH is being asked about Ronaldo in every press conference, before every game and after. How that isn't distracting?
You think if Ronaldo was on the bench against Chelsea the players on the pitch would have performed differently?

Adam-Utd

You think if Ronaldo was on the bench against Chelsea the players on the pitch would have performed differently?
Not on the bench, but in the squad. Sitting in the dressing room with a face like thunder, warming up on the pitch moaning and acting negatively? sure I can see why that would be disruptive.

Obviously that's impossible to say in reality, but I just think long term having him elsewhere will be much healthier for everybody.

Marwood

Not on the bench, but in the squad. Sitting in the dressing room with a face like thunder, warming up on the pitch moaning and acting negatively? sure I can see why that would be disruptive.

Obviously that's impossible to say in reality, but I just think long term having him elsewhere will be much healthier for everybody.
I think the players are professional and grown up enough to get on with it. We're on a very good run of games.

In terms of distraction and drama I think its a bigger deal for the fans.

As an aside does Ronaldo warm up in a negative fashion?

Real Name

I think the players are professional and grown up enough to get on with it. We're on a very good run of games.

In terms of distraction and drama I think its a bigger deal for the fans.

As an aside does Ronaldo warm up in a negative fashion?
Before Spurs game supposedly he he was warming up far from everybody and didnt talk to anybody.

And it distracts cause it gets constant media attention and ETH needs to answer Ronaldo questions over and over again. It's in and around the club like a bad smell.

Marwood

Before Spurs game supposedly he he was warming up far from everybody and didnt talk to anybody.

And it distracts cause it gets constant media attention and ETH needs to answer Ronaldo questions over and over again. It's in and around the club like a bad smell.
I'd have to see it. Can't go on a supposed.

Have you seen any evidence on the pitch that the players are distracted by it?

Real Name

I'd have to see it. Can't go on a supposed.

Have you seen any evidence on the pitch that the players are distracted by it?
One poster who was at the game said it.

I dont have evidence about distractions on the pitch but you can surely be aware it can distract and make a mess of the pitch and then that translates on the pitch.

Marwood

One poster who was at the game said it.

I dont have evidence about distractions on the pitch but you can surely be aware it can distract and make a mess of the pitch and then that translates on the pitch.
I suppose it might but I'd hope the players aren't so fragile. They're all grown men, top professionals.

And so far there are no signs of Ronaldo controlling the performance of others whilst he's on the bench or at home. We're playing as well as we have for a long time.

RuudTom83

Ronaldo has disrespected EtH ever since he was appointed manager...
-Publicly saying he wanted to leave.
-Not turning up for training.
-Not going on tour.
-Leaving the pitch/stadium twice.

Yet suddenly the explanation for Ronaldo's actions is that he has never been told by the manager how many minutes he will play.

Weak excuse.

Idxomer

I agree that it is easier for Ronaldo (and any player, really), to find a new club if his current one is willing to tear up the contract without recompense.

If the concern is for the club’s best interest, ie, they would be better off without Ronaldo and the obligation to pay him 500k a week, well quite a few people seem to prefer that. In which case, of course, it could be that the player says, no’ you’ll have to honour the contract.

If the concern is for the player who has a contract and a salary, but wants to play regular football more than cashing cheques and be an important squad member, that will normally be up to the player to solve. He can reduce his wage demands to the point that a club that will let him play can afford the ‘fee+salary’ package. It’s not really fair to expect the club to take the economic fall against its own interest, to help the player get all his wishes. The only times when clubs forego value they are contractually owed either in terms of service or of finances is a) to let a loyal servant with relatively few options, and who’se services are more or less expendable, leave for a final payday to finance his retirement, or b) they are forced because a player they really need goes into strike, and they cut their losses because they can still get a sizeable fee and it’s better to spend it on an ok replacement, than to lack a key player on strike with no recompence.

Ronaldo doesn’t really fit snuggly into either of those categories. He’s not loyal, his retirement is secured a million times over, he’s not indispensable, but he could be useful. I don’t think Man Utd as a club owe him any favors, though. If they think his contract is worth 15m, they’re entitled to it, and if he doesn’t want to play elder statesman at Utd, doesn’t want to play in Saudi Arabia, and doesn’t want to earn less than 150k a week either, I guess it’s a bummer, because those are his options, and if you feel bad for someone having those three options - well, there are billions who could use your sympathy more I guess.
I'm definitely not feeling bad for him. I haven't been fan for more than a decade and don't think he is suited for any of the top 5 leagues in Europe. Ronaldo is a toxic presence who wants special treatment for past glories. After some of his actions since coming back, not receiving a transfer fee and getting rid of his wages would've been a big win for United.

Like I said at the start though all of that is meaningless if he had no offer except the one from Al Hilal.

Real Name

I suppose it might but I'd hope the players aren't so fragile. They're all grown men, top professionals.

And so far there are no signs of Ronaldo controlling the performance of others whilst he's on the bench or at home. We're playing as well as we have for a long time.
All I'm saying its a distraction, a big one, in the long run and its best for everybody it resolves soon.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Well he is right that it’s mostly on fans though, as fans would read into everything media shown to their face. Players don’t seem to have much of problems with that though. We have players like Bruno, Rashford, Antony, Garnacho, Dalot etc all idolized him, and veterans players like Varane, Casemiro, De Gea etc all respected him. Maybe only Maguire has problem with him? Not sure about that. But they all seem genuinely happy when celebrating goals with Ronaldo.

But true It could be a problem for manager though. As what Ronaldo has done recently did undermine the authority of manager, which shouldn’t happened.

Last edited:

Real Name

Well he is right that it’s mostly on fans though, as fans would read into everything media shown to their face. Players don’t seem to have much of problems with that though. We have players like Bruno, Rashford, Antony, Garnacho, Dalot etc all idolized him, and veterans players like Varane, Casemiro, De Gea etc all respected him. Maybe only Maguire has problem with him? Not sure about that. But they all seem genuinely happy when celebrating goals with Ronaldo.

But true It could be a problem for manager though. As what Ronaldo has done recently did undermine the authority of manager, which shouldn’t happened.
Yeah, that's what I meant, problem with the manager. Its always a problem when a player undermines a manager and so openly at that.

As for celebrating with Ronaldo, sure, and they did take a photo with him when he scored 700th goal but after Spurs I think his position in the dressing room surely changed. Martinez said after Spurs something in the sense he dont know nor he doesnt care where Ronaldo is.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You really need to score a lot of goals (if you're not doing much else) to be a regular in this team. Everybody is contributing now.
So yeah, I guess we might not see him very often.

romufc

-Not going on tour.

Yet suddenly the explanation for Ronaldo's actions is that he has never been told by the manager how many minutes he will play.

Weak excuse.
Its a joke.

How can you know how much minutes you are going to play if you dont go to pre season?

Didn't Ronaldo say he wanted to leave before pre season? 4th July, so clearly he decided that before speaking to Ten Hag, but Rio thinks Ten Hag's at fault.

United for 0 offers for Ronaldo. Ronaldo got 0 offers as well.

It was clear, to everyone that Ronaldo was not first choice, even Ten Hag was hinting it. You cant miss pre season then expect you will play when you dont even buy into how the manager plays.

They also forget the fact, as a team we run less, create less with Ronaldo in the team.

Luka Mora

Why would he drop him anyway? Our top scorer and arguably our best player last season, and with no other strikers available.
As soon as he become the main man under ole the overall team performance dropped and other players stopped scoring because everything had be played through to Ronaldo. He was dropped for the everton game for a reason. And when ole eventually got sacked, Carrick had the balls to drop him and we immediately became better as a team

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah, that's what I meant, problem with the manager. Its always a problem when a player undermines a manager and so openly at that.

As for celebrating with Ronaldo, sure, and they did take a photo with him when he scored 700th goal but after Spurs I think his position in the dressing room surely changed. Martinez said after Spurs something in the sense he dont know nor he doesnt care where Ronaldo is.
Maybe it could change for some of his teammates after that game, but it’s hard to tell yet. Normally speaking, it’s impossible for those growing up idolizing him, or those from Portugal, or those ex Real Madrid teammates to develop any negativity towards him (so that excludes over half of our team already). They all know he is very egoistic anyway, but also with most admirable career any professional player could have dreamed of, so maybe they sort of accept the way it is with him.

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
No. Rio is claiming that the club or manager has not defined Cristiano's role clearly and have not told him beforehand whether he is a first choice or backup or VDB.
First of all, Rio is dumb and way too far up Ronaldo's arse. Same with other ex players.

If Ronaldo was scoring bucket loads of goals then he would have been starting. He is not special anymore to be an exception.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Rio and Souness, tossers. I hope Ten Hag sticks to his guns and never plays him again.

Sourness, I can understand. He can't seem to bear watching us getting our shit back together.

The ex players on the other hand need to feck off. Any United/Ronaldo discussions with them should be banned. They aren't objective and would rather watch Utd collapse like last season if their beloved Ronnie scored 20 goals.

Failed managers now plying their trade in punditry questioning the manager who is doing a really good job. The last thing this club needs is negative publicity and the ex players are making sure that this happens.

RuudTom83

Its a joke.

How can you know how much minutes you are going to play if you dont go to pre season?

Didn't Ronaldo say he wanted to leave before pre season? 4th July, so clearly he decided that before speaking to Ten Hag, but Rio thinks Ten Hag's at fault.

United for 0 offers for Ronaldo. Ronaldo got 0 offers as well.

It was clear, to everyone that Ronaldo was not first choice, even Ten Hag was hinting it. You cant miss pre season then expect you will play when you dont even buy into how the manager plays.

They also forget the fact, as a team we run less, create less with Ronaldo in the team.

Exactly! and to add to the myth of him not playing let's look at his minutes for the last 5 games...

Everton - played 60 mins
Omonia - played 90 mins
Newcastle - played 72 mins
Spurs - refused to play
Chelsea - punished for being a brat

Ronaldo is wrong on every level of the argument.

Real Name

Maybe it could change for some of his teammates after that game, but it’s hard to tell yet. Normally speaking, it’s impossible for those growing up idolizing him, or those from Portugal, or those ex Real Madrid teammates to develop any negativity towards him (so that excludes over half of our team already). They all know he is very egoistic anyway, but also with most admirable career any professional player could have dreamed of, so maybe they sort of accept the way it is with him.
Why would it be impossible?
You cant possibly say that kind of things conclusively. Not only that but you cant know who idolized him and who liked him. Bruno did idolize him but I dont think others did just cause they were his teammates or they're from Portugal. Maybe they did maybe they didnt and even if all did idolize him sometimes people who you idolize show themselves in the light you dont like and you stop with idolizing and see them for who they really are.
Sure he did have a most admirable career but on the other hand he's acting the way he does and it surely doesnt rub everyone the right way, on the contrary.

The fact you see Ronaldo as a god doesnt mean half the team see it that way too.

Last edited:

Tower of Babel

Have you considered that the Team is called Manchester United and not Manchester Ronaldo and as for Ten Hag disrepcting Ronaldo what is he doing since the start of the season with his petulance time after time, and regarding letting him go United would have but guess what no one was interested in him.
I agree nobody is above the club but there is no Manchester United of today without the past United greats whose stunning careers at this club earned them legendary status. Sir Matt Busby, George Best, Sir Bobby Charlton, Sir Alex, Eric Cantona, Cristiano, etc. Remind yourself Cristiano is the greatest player ever to play for Manchester United. He deserves the utmost respect of everyone associated with the club including our current manager. You may not like him, his attitude, his on-field drama, his over ambitious displays and all, but I don't think it is right to forget what hes done and achieved at this club and disrespect him. Consistently, for many years he's put smiles on our faces, and left us fans in awe of his outstanding performances, hence, being referred to, arguably, as the greatest of all time. Some people say "he doesn't play for the team", "he's a selfish player", but he's the second player with the highest number of assists in football history, after Messi, much more number of assists than the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Modric...etc. It's always been Cristiano pushing himself to be better, and he has done so well surpassing any legend, dead or alive. We can't just overlook all that, and ridicule him for his recent mistakes. Cristiano has nothing to prove to ETH, at this age. He was our top scorer last season for God sake. He deserves to start games for United ahead of these players who are the biggest contributors of our longest trophy drought in half a century. If you're not seeing the obvious and seriously worrying poor performance of the other attacking young players at United, especially Rashford and Sancho, and have chosen to single out a 37 year old legend, who at his age gave his all for United, for the game, for the teammates, for the fans, and for himself, then you need to sincerely ask yourself, "why exactly am I hating?"

Last edited:

romufc

Exactly! and to add to the myth of him not playing let's look at his minutes for the last 5 games...

Everton - played 60 mins
Omonia - played 90 mins
Newcastle - played 72 mins
Spurs - refused to play
Chelsea - punished for being a brat

Ronaldo is wrong on every level of the argument.
Yeah all this for him not playing and needing more minutes, is crap.

He is useless, he cannot hold the ball up so we cant play sit deep and counter cause he cant keep the ball. He has no pace to get in behind, so we have to play slow football.

He doesnt press so we cant play on the transition so we have to drop back.

Literally no style suits him.

The only way he does well is if he goes to a league where it does not require much running.

Tower of Babel

This is disrespectful to Rashford and ETH which is off because Rashford does a number of things to warrant criticism, it's just being less impactful than CR isn't one. First of all Ronaldo is not a starter. This is how squad players are supposed to be used. People need to stop trying to sneak him into the starting xi when his actual performances barely warrant a sub cameo.
Really?? I’m not even Rashford’s critic but you can clearly see that only scoring 7 PL goals in the last calendar year are the numbers that only a 3rd or 4th rate player would be putting up. He’s also currently on yet another one of his many non scoring runs when he goes several weeks or even months without scoring a goal, his last PL goal was way back in early September against Arsenal. These are the facts we cant keep ignoring. United need a new striker if we are to be anywhere near successful under Ten Hag in the future.

Cristiano Ronaldo is not any other player. He is Cristiano Ronaldo, one of the greatest ever to do it. This guy scored 24 goals in 38 games last season playing in a dysfunctional team. True, he’s had a slow start to the season (not for the first time in his illustrious career), but he’d still easily outscore Rashford and Martial with one eye closed and one arm tied behind his back. That’s how great he is. While I don’t agree with his method, and I do think no single player is bigger than the club, Cristiano deserves more respect than he has received from Erik ten Hag.

Real Name

Rio speaks so much crap. He's not condoning what Ronaldo did but the club should have communcated it better. Communicate what? That he's a starter? Or he's a Martial sub? It's on ETH to decided when and how to play him and he shouldn't get any privileges. Rio and Keane are doing a lot of damage with their comments. Surely if they care about the club they should see that. I'm just waiting for Scholes to chip in.

Tower of Babel

Like he scored that double hattrick versus teams from Cyprus and Moldova when the team intentionally fed him thousand of chances ? I must have missed these matches where he played well and scored. Anyway he was allowed to leave but there were no CL clubs that would touch him with a barge pole. The only offer was from a Saudi Arabian team. Even some teams (Marseille, Atleti, Bayern) came out to deny these rumours
Same question should go for other (younger) United strikers. You don't raise the bar in evaluating him. Facts don't lie. The best strikers in the league score 20+ goals in a season. Cristiano has achieved that benchmark at 37, as he has done most of his playing career. That makes him United’s top striker still... and yes, he achieved that against premiership and champions league teams. How many goals Rashford scored last season and this season? As I said earlier, Ronaldo would have scored the chances Rashford squandered against Newcastle and Chelsea. Martial "injured" yet again. Looks like he is in for another season of very little effort for mega bucks. What was Sancho doing last season and this season. You cant deny even in his bad day, Cristiano is still better than the current players we have right now. CR700 must start every game ahead of them before the curtain closed. Hopefully, we will sign a proper striker to replace him in January or in the summer.

Esquire

-Not going on tour.

Weak excuse.
It’s the like of Rio and Keane defending their mate. So need to discount the force of that argument from the get-go. Yes I would say that there are some mitigating factors (he is one of the greats and should be afforded some special treatment for what he has done) but in no way do any of the factors excuse what he’s done. So you are right the excuse is quite weak.

Unitedlad_142

There is no player greater than his club. It's going to be a tough tough decision to be made internally at United board.

But thats the worst case scenario. Ronaldo cannot end with us like that.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Why would it be impossible?
You cant possibly say that kind of things conclusively. Not only that but you cant know who idolized him and who liked him. Bruno did idolize him but I dont think others did just cause they were his teammates or they're from Portugal. Maybe they did maybe they didnt and even if all did idolize him sometimes people who you idolize show themselves in the light you dont like and you stop with idolizing and see them for who they really are.
Sure he did have a most admirable career but on the other hand he's acting the way he does and it surely doesnt rub everyone the right way, on the contrary.

The fact you see Ronaldo as a god doesnt mean half the team see it that way too.
I mean, he has always been egoistic in the way he acts throughout his career, it’s not news to anyone.

Basically those hating him would probably always hate him, while those idolizing/respecting him would probably always idolize/respect him too.

On the recent incidence, it’s more of case of him thinking himself being bigger than the manager or even the club, I don’t really think people are really surprise with that, as he has been exhibiting such character (all about himself) throughout his career.

GreatDane

New posters joined yesterday only to defend Ronaldo. The sooner he leaves the better.

Flexdegea

I agree nobody is above the club but there is no Manchester United of today without the past United greats whose stunning careers at this club earned them legendary status. Sir Matt Busby, George Best, Sir Bobby Charlton, Sir Alex, Eric Cantona, Cristiano, etc. Remind yourself Cristiano is the greatest player ever to play for Manchester United. He deserves the utmost respect of everyone associated with the club including our current manager. You may not like him, his attitude, his on-field drama, his over ambitious displays and all, but I don't think it is right to forget what hes done and achieved at this club and disrespect him. Consistently, for many years he's put smiles on our faces, and left us fans in awe of his outstanding performances, hence, being referred to, arguably, as the greatest of all time. Some people say "he doesn't play for the team", "he's a selfish player", but he's the second player with the highest number of assists in football history, after Messi, much more number of assists than the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Modric...etc. It's always been Cristiano pushing himself to be better, and he has done so well surpassing any legend, dead or alive. We can't just overlook all that, and ridicule him for his recent mistakes. Cristiano has nothing to prove to ETH, at this age. He was our top scorer last season for God sake. He deserves to start games for United ahead of these players who are the biggest contributors of our longest trophy drought in half a century. If you're not seeing the obvious and seriously worrying poor performance of the other attacking young players at United, especially Rashford and Sancho, and have chosen to single out a 37 year old legend, who at his age gave his all for United, for the game, for the teammates, for the fans, and for himself, then you need to sincerely ask yourself, "why exactly am I hating?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Needed that

Handré1990

I mean, he has always been egoistic in the way he acts throughout his career, it’s not news to anyone.

Basically those hating him would probably always hate him, while those idolizing/respecting him would probably always idolize/respect him too.

On the recent incidence, it’s more of case of him thinking himself being bigger than the manager or even the club, I don’t really think people are really surprise with that, as he has been exhibiting such character (all about himself) throughout his career.
We can act all high and mighty, but his salary and behaviour will be that much more tolerable if he actually delivered on the pitch. One might even argue the biggest problem is the fact that he’s our worst performer, and he himself still views his status and level as it were, rather than what it is.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Did you sign up just to defend Cristiano? Seems you're a Cristiano fan more than a United one.

Status
Not open for further replies.