Ronaldo | Refused to come on as sub, left OT | Axed from squad for Chelsea & fined 2 weeks wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:lol:

I hope it's not boos even though match going fans are perfectly entitled to do so after the way he's treated the club. Indifference and the sense that he has to earn a bit of respect again would be better.

I kind of would like all this business to be over and no more drama on either end.
Genuinely think it will be applause, with the Viva Ronaldo song belted out. The fans couldn't stop singing the song when he knocked us out the UCL. Same fans who jeered Nani/Fellaini but gave Moyes a standing ovation :lol:

sugar_kane

Ten Hag is trying his absolute best right now to manage this impossible situation, but it’s clear that Ronaldo is actively trying to sabotage his work either for his own ends or out of simple pettiness.

The footage of him refusing to come on (while sat right next to Antony who clearly idolises him) and high fiving Sancho/Casemiro as they come off makes me worry about the poisonous effect he is having on the dressing room.

He is clearly well liked / respected by many of the players - if they begin to believe the lies from certain sections of the press that Ten Hag is deliberately mistreating him he could start to lose parts of the dressing room which would be an absolute disaster.

I honestly think the club (Murtough, not Ten Hag) need to go on record with what happened behind the scenes over the summer - ie. That we were happy to let him go but he couldn’t find a suitable club. It’s clearly the case (he’s obviously briefed it off the record) but the ambiguity is being used to tear Ten Hag down right now.

Luka Mora

Fans need to stop chanting his fecking name and start booing him until he's forced out.

redcucumber

Fans need to stop chanting his fecking name and start booing him until he's forced out.
Probably not the best idea - we're in a good place right now, why spoil that with needless booing and toxicity? We should rise above it and just move on. Very good chance he leaves in January.

RedDevil@84

Ten Hag is trying his absolute best right now to manage this impossible situation, but it’s clear that Ronaldo is actively trying to sabotage his work either for his own ends or out of simple pettiness.
This is as bad as Souness talking about the club disrespecting Ronaldo. Nothing is "clear". All is clear is that Ronaldo walked off early once, got warned. He did it again, got suspended. He refused to come on, got fined.
As ETH said, this is a one game thing and he is back in training. If he will repeat it, it will get worse, but it hasn't happened yet.

I honestly think the club (Murtough, not Ten Hag) need to go on record with what happened behind the scenes over the summer - ie. That we were happy to let him go but he couldn’t find a suitable club. It’s clearly the case (he’s obviously briefed it off the record) but the ambiguity is being used to tear Ten Hag down right now.
How do we know what happened? Maybe the club actively refused to entertain any discussion on Ronaldo. Maybe we put a price and hence no club came knocking.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
As much as I'd rather he sit out fully, we have 2 more europa league games to get through and a league cup game vs Villa. We have 6 games until the world cup, Ronaldo will likely start in the 3 games where we rotate, so we can rest our actual starters for the prem. That'll bring us to the world cup, and basically the January window where he can go and can be replaced.
Don’t see us rotating heavily in the cup games. We want to top the group in the EL and ETH will want to win the Carabao. They’ll be some changes, but we’re essentially looking to pick teams to maximise the chance of winning all six matches.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I agree nobody is above the club but there is no Manchester United of today without the past United greats whose stunning careers at this club earned them legendary status. Sir Matt Busby, George Best, Sir Bobby Charlton, Sir Alex, Eric Cantona, Cristiano, etc. Remind yourself Cristiano is the greatest player ever to play for Manchester United. He deserves the utmost respect of everyone associated with the club including our current manager. You may not like him, his attitude, his on-field drama, his over ambitious displays and all, but I don't think it is right to forget what hes done and achieved at this club and disrespect him. Consistently, for many years he's put smiles on our faces, and left us fans in awe of his outstanding performances, hence, being referred to, arguably, as the greatest of all time. Some people say "he doesn't play for the team", "he's a selfish player", but he's the second player with the highest number of assists in football history, after Messi, much more number of assists than the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Modric...etc. It's always been Cristiano pushing himself to be better, and he has done so well surpassing any legend, dead or alive. We can't just overlook all that, and ridicule him for his recent mistakes. Cristiano has nothing to prove to ETH, at this age. He was our top scorer last season for God sake. He deserves to start games for United ahead of these players who are the biggest contributors of our longest trophy drought in half a century. If you're not seeing the obvious and seriously worrying poor performance of the other attacking young players at United, especially Rashford and Sancho, and have chosen to single out a 37 year old legend, who at his age gave his all for United, for the game, for the teammates, for the fans, and for himself, then you need to sincerely ask yourself, "why exactly am I hating?"
Christ almighty :lol:

TsuWave

Yeah, this is really the ingredient that’s missing for a squad that’s finally starting to look like a team. Let’s make it fecking toxic for them lads :drool:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I could see Newcastle happening, Saudi's offer him big money and then send him of to play in the Saudi league for one big sportswashing payday

Kaos

I'd agree with stopping the chants, but booing him is a tad bit out of order. He's a prick but he's been a great player for us in the past, and we don't need that sort of toxicity around the club.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I agree nobody is above the club but there is no Manchester United of today without the past United greats whose stunning careers at this club earned them legendary status. Sir Matt Busby, George Best, Sir Bobby Charlton, Sir Alex, Eric Cantona, Cristiano, etc. Remind yourself Cristiano is the greatest player ever to play for Manchester United. He deserves the utmost respect of everyone associated with the club including our current manager. You may not like him, his attitude, his on-field drama, his over ambitious displays and all, but I don't think it is right to forget what hes done and achieved at this club and disrespect him. Consistently, for many years he's put smiles on our faces, and left us fans in awe of his outstanding performances, hence, being referred to, arguably, as the greatest of all time. Some people say "he doesn't play for the team", "he's a selfish player", but he's the second player with the highest number of assists in football history, after Messi, much more number of assists than the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Cesc, Modric...etc. It's always been Cristiano pushing himself to be better, and he has done so well surpassing any legend, dead or alive. We can't just overlook all that, and ridicule him for his recent mistakes. Cristiano has nothing to prove to ETH, at this age. He was our top scorer last season for God sake. He deserves to start games for United ahead of these players who are the biggest contributors of our longest trophy drought in half a century. If you're not seeing the obvious and seriously worrying poor performance of the other attacking young players at United, especially Rashford and Sancho, and have chosen to single out a 37 year old legend, who at his age gave his all for United, for the game, for the teammates, for the fans, and for himself, then you need to sincerely ask yourself, "why exactly am I hating?"
Wow. Just wow.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Just seen what Roy keane said. Top man.

Grande

Tbf imo football wise you'd be totally deserved that 500k a week. And even much better that you won't ever be a noisy dick and disrespect the manager, the team, the club and the fans.

All you would need to do is standing there scratching your balls then occasionally run a bit, exchange a few 5 yards meaningless passes you could even feck up those passes and it's still ok. Then make some random runs toward the goalie in which you'd never catch the ball even if someone passes it to you. It'd be still fine. Come on how hard is that? I don't even know your age but as long as you still can move a bit you could definitely do all that I reckon.
You definitively haven’t seen me play.

JagUTD

There's only really one point of view that matters here and that's Ten Hags.

If he says the issue is dealt with and bring Ronaldo back into the fold, then that's it. Accept it and move on.

This idea of booing him and diminishing what he has done as a United player in the past as if he isn't one of our greatest ever players, didn't lead the team into one of its greatest ever periods from 2006 to 2009 and wasn't the sole highlight of last year's nightmare is just bizzare.

He has rightly been made an example of and it will no doubt strengthen Ten Hags position because if Ronaldo can be punished, then everybody better step in line. But that's it, it's done.

Anyone who doesn't hope he comes back in and smashes in goals is kidding themselves. Anyone who thinks Viva Ronaldo won't ring out around Old Trafford or that fans will go wild if he scores doesn't understand football. It's a simple game followed by the ficklest of fickle people.

Grande

I'm definitely not feeling bad for him. I haven't been fan for more than a decade and don't think he is suited for any of the top 5 leagues in Europe. Ronaldo is a toxic presence who wants special treatment for past glories. After some of his actions since coming back, not receiving a transfer fee and getting rid of his wages would've been a big win for United.

Like I said at the start though all of that is meaningless if he had no offer except the one from Al Hilal.
Certainly. Or it’s even possible that United actually have given him an offer of tearing up the contract, and that he has waived it, because he has no better offers. I don’t know what to guess, really. Maybe he is a good sport and a team support 95% of the time, only he can’t contain disappointment and can’t say I’m sorry.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Mail is saying Jorge Mendes has offered him to Arsenal, Newcastle & Chelsea
Bro offered himself to teams across Europe like an old hag looking for one night stand in the club but nobody actually wanted to take him this summer. Wonder how his fanboys will spin the fact when nobody wants him next summer again.

Strelok

You definitively haven’t seen me play.
You mean better or worse?
Certainly. Or it’s even possible that United actually have given him an offer of tearing up the contract, and that he has waived it, because he has no better offers. I don’t know what to guess, really. Maybe he is a good sport and a team support 95% of the time, only he can’t contain disappointment and can’t say I’m sorry.
According to ESPN yes we did.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Cristiano has nothing to prove to ETH, at this age.
See that’s where you’re especially wrong … Ronaldo has something to prove to people in every game he plays. It’s how he is. It’s why he’s one of the best ever. It’s why he has created such a stink about being benched. If he believed he had nothing to prove, he’d be happy on the bench. I wish he’d understand that he us no longer the player he is, and needs to manage game time.

leon24

Not siding with CR7 but to reject a possibly last fattest pay cheque and the desire to keep playing at top level at age 38 shows the level of grit and determination this man has.

Most of us would have definitely taken the easy way out to Saudi league.

wolvored

Whether you think he was the greatest ever or not. He wasnt and isnt the greatest playing for Utd. That was at RM. He should be judged on how he is now, a fading player, well past his best and picked on his abilities and form now. We should back the managers judgement on whether he starts, comes on as sub, or not in the matchday squad. His maximum shelflife here is 7 months. Hopefully the manager is here for several years. Back your manager!

Real Name

Well yes I agree him leaving will be the best solution to all parties, the club, himself and the fans. But with WC coming up soon, I think he would just eat humble pie for now and would try to offer himself for the team, in exchange for valuable game time.
Yeah I think that's already the case, he talked with ETH and he's training with the team.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
"At first I was afraid, I became shite
Kept thinking I would never play with Ten Hag in charge
Then I spent so many nights thinking how he's done me wrong
Then I grow strong, it was Saudi all along"

Make it happen.

kunal18

So looks like he'll be back for the Europa game, hope he scores a hat trick and we can have more twists in this soap opera.

nakpodiareuben

Whether you think he was the greatest ever or not. He wasnt and isnt the greatest playing for Utd. That was at RM. He should be judged on how he is now, a fading player, well past his best and picked on his abilities and form now. We should back the managers judgement on whether he starts, comes on as sub, or not in the matchday squad. His maximum shelflife here is 7 months. Hopefully the manager is here for several years. Back your manager!

When he was here, I rated Wayne more than him. Wazza worked himself s
This unfortunately. I dont expect boos and there shouldnt be any imo, but chanting his name should appear less too.

What about if he score! Which I guess he will. His celebrations and the fans reactions may be very sensitive. This is why he has to leave. We must ensure the manager knows he is backed by united, the team and the fans. I was surprised someone was saying if Ronaldo was in the Chelsea game, we would have won! That was bullshit!

Real Name

What about if he score! Which I guess he will. His celebrations and the fans reactions may be very sensitive. This is why he has to leave. We must ensure the manager knows he is backed by united, the team and the fans. I was surprised someone was saying if Ronaldo was in the Chelsea game, we would have won! That was bullshit!
If he'll score fan will cheer. I dont even think he'll start but if he does start maybe he'll score. I hope from a 2nd or 3rd chance so players dont have to feed him the whole night.

nakpodiareuben

If he'll score fan will cheer. I dont even think he'll start but if he does start maybe he'll score. I hope from a 2nd or 3rd chance so players dont have to feed him the whole night.

This is really funny! Thanks for making me lsugh this morning

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Hope he plays tomorrow and scores, we need options up front that are firing.

Marcus

Hope he plays tomorrow and scores, we need options up front that are firing.
Yup I agree. He has been punished and we are short up front. A confident goalscoring Ronaldo is better for the team than a sulking brooding one.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was always coming back.

Let's be honest keeping him training away from the team will cause more harm then good. Hopefully he'll be happy accepting the fact that he'll be sitting on the bench for the PL games and play the Europa/ EFL cup games.

ETH needs Ronaldo on his side without much drama until we do get rid of him so it's an obvious decision.
Agreed. I would rather he never played for us again, because I don't like his attitude and behaviour on the pitch, but if leaving him out would cause more harm than good (him whining in the media and making it all about himself), then so be it. Just play him in some odd games until Martial is back, then use him as rotation option.

It's quite simple really, he needs to start pulling his weight and then he'll get his game time.

Reality hit him hard. No club wants him. Only Sporting, but they cant pay him 500k
If there was a club interested in getting Ronaldo, he's not making it easy for them with current behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.