Ronaldo Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Great performance. Was like one of his performances for Madrid in his first season there, actually. Not quite the all-round standard of an 06/07 performance, but absolutely class either way. Makes you miss him a bit when he plays like that.

The Neviller

the same cup where messi played a lot better than ronaldo? you are right, his goal against north korea -the seventh goal in a 7-0 game- is still remember as THE world cup moment :smirk:

Didn't you notice the way he flicked it from his neck, onto his head and then volleyed in? Messi couldn't do that.

On an unrelated point, did you see how cool Veloso's hair looked in that clip?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
It was his little lad's second birthday today.

His shirt's got - a "dad loves you - junior," message on it.

Of course the greeting probably wouldn't have worked so well if Portugal had been knocked out.

Anyway, great work from him tonight - I knew he'd remember what to do.
I had forgotten that he's a father.

Well atleast he can claim to become a father before Messi. :)

But great finishes tonight. Timing of the run for the first goal was class.

Drainy

It was his little lad's second birthday today.

His shirt's got - a "dad loves you - junior," message on it.

Of course the greeting probably wouldn't have worked so well if Portugal had been knocked out.

Anyway, great work from him tonight - I knew he'd remember what to do.
Wow. His physical development from when he was a young lad freshly transferred to the club to now is just remarkable. His frame is so much bigger he's like a different person. Incredible.

One of the saddest things for me is that I called Ronaldo's career (almost) perfectly (not that it wasn't pretty obvious) after Euro 2004 while having a heated discussion about who would be better in their peak Ronaldo or Rooney. I said at the time that he would become the best player in the world and then leave for Real Madrid, if it wasn't for Leo Messi thats exactly what would have happened! :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I can't believe he's 27 already, it feels like it was just the other day that he was the young promising winger that came on against Bolton. How the time flies by :(

Cal?

CR7 fan
the same cup where messi played a lot better than ronaldo? you are right, his goal against north korea -the seventh goal in a 7-0 game- is still remember as THE world cup moment :smirk:
Just pointing out that he did outscore Messi in the last World Cup... the same WC where some people claim Messi was the best player of the tournament. :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Do the yellows carry over from the group stage? If Ronaldo gets one in the next game he will be out for the semis, which would be a shame.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some of you are completely Messi obsessed. You'd think these two were siamese twins the way you can't talk about one without the other one being mentioned.

Cold_Boy

I think it is over-done but if there is one player who is competing with him, then its Messi.

There is no else to compare.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Wow. His physical development from when he was a young lad freshly transferred to the club to now is just remarkable. His frame is so much bigger he's like a different person. Incredible.

One of the saddest things for me is that I called Ronaldo's career (almost) perfectly (not that it wasn't pretty obvious) after Euro 2004 while having a heated discussion about who would be better in their peak Ronaldo or Rooney. I said at the time that he would become the best player in the world and then leave for Real Madrid, if it wasn't for Leo Messi thats exactly what would have happened! :lol:
I always find it funny when people are so wow'd by his physical development.

I'm bigger physically than CR7, and I probably startd gym work about the same time, and without the supplements and nutrition he can afford. I was also stick thin in school.

The guys an athlete, hes got all the time he needs to train and all the money he needs to put the best stuff into his body, it'll be easier for him to build his physique than regular people.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think it is over-done but if there is one player who is competing with him, then its Messi.

There is no else to compare.
Who cares, though? Football isn't all about comparisons. Footballers exist on their own carving their own stories which don't always have to be related to someone else's. Ronaldo will have his own triumphs and failings like every other player and it's becoming moronic how both of the players can't be discussed in isolation, ever.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I liked the way he (quite rightly) had a dig at Carragher who'd said something about Ronaldo being over rated.
Carragher, the monumental retard that he is, said Ronaldo still had 'question marks' about him. In fairness though, he has the mental age of a dead fish, so it's understandable for him to come out with such statements.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Yep, it neighbours Portugal on the west. How else do you explain such a large part of their population speaking Portuguese?

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
I think ronaldo still has some issues with decision making, which sounds stupid when you consider the number of goals he has scored. He is still hell bent on getting the headlines and scoring all the goals but there are occasions where a pass to a team mate is the much better option to take. Obviously his single mindedness is part of the reason he has been so successful but I think being a little more selfless could be advantageous to the team

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I think ronaldo still has some issues with decision making, which sounds stupid when you consider the number of goals he has scored. He is still hell bent on getting the headlines and scoring all the goals but there are occasions where a pass to a team mate is the much better option to take. Obviously his single mindedness is part of the reason he has been so successful but I think being a little more selfless could be advantageous to the team
I think sometimes he doesn't feel he can trust his team mates and that's why he goes it alone. The sort of attitude where he says "well i've gotta do it alone because you'll feck it up."

RyanGoggs

Insists on dating women in public places - for the
I think sometimes he doesn't feel he can trust his team mates and that's why he goes it alone. The sort of attitude where he says "well i've gotta do it alone because you'll feck it up."
Maybe, but it must be frustrating as a team mate who makes a long run in the knowledge they almost certainly won't get a pass. Ronaldo misses his fair share of chances also

Cina

Every player, including Messi, misses chances, just some do it more than others. Ronaldo puts them away a lot more than most players do, and he most importantly gets in the positions to put them away more than most players do.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
So, should Portugal win this Euro thingy, could Ronaldo pip Messi to the awards?

Or say Portugal get to the semis or final, and Ronaldo scores some goals along the way, could that be enough?

The best player doesn't always win these awards (see Zidane over Ronaldo 1998, Zidane over Nedved 2003, etc.).

Cina

So, should Portugal win this Euro thingy, could Ronaldo pip Messi to the awards?

Or say Portugal get to the semis or final, and Ronaldo scores some goals along the way, could that be enough?

The best player doesn't always win these awards (see Zidane over Ronaldo 1998, Zidane over Nedved 2003, etc.).
His lack of likability could get in his way but I do genuinely think Ronaldo has been the best in the world this season, I am in no way saying he is as good a player as Messi, that would be silly and I don't want to turn this into a debate like that, but I think he's had a more influential season for his club in a year they were successful. I'd like to think that if he continues like he did against Holland and helps Portugal get to the semis or final that he'll win it.

Trionz

His lack of likability could get in his way but I do genuinely think Ronaldo has been the best in the world this season, I am in no way saying he is as good a player as Messi, that would be silly and I don't want to turn this into a debate like that, but I think he's had a more influential season for his club in a year they were successful. I'd like to think that if he continues like he did against Holland and helps Portugal get to the semis or final that he'll win it.
They had equal influence.
Just that Ronaldo's goals were accompanied by Higuain & Benzema's as well.
While for Barca, only Messi scored.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
That'll open up a can of worms with Madrid collectively having played very well and Messi going in on his own for a fair portion of the season.

If he out guns one of the big teams he'll get it, if he scores against the Czechs? I doubt that'll be something that will really increase his chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.