Ronaldo Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I feel sorry for Ronaldo in that bring such a good looking bugger he's viewed as a narcissistic egotist which is of course what he is. It's like that Best quote "if I'd have been born ugly your never have heard of Pele".

Messi plays in a team in his favourite position doing exactly what he pleases with everyone working their arses off to create and defend. There is literally nothing to complain about, on the few times he's been rested or played out of position against his will he's thrown his toys out the pram and even missed training but that never gets talked about, if Ronaldo had done the same it'd be front page news and used against him forever. It's easy to be "humble" when everything is set up and going right for you.

I can't stand the midget personally. Ronaldo on the other hand was a massively popular lad with all his United team mates and staff which is enough for me. I remember reading an interview with a rock star who I can't think of now but he said its best to create an image of an ego and let people talk about, slag off and sell it all they like and they never know the real you which keeps your life private, I do wonder if Ronaldo was advised to do the same as the public image and how people who know him personally talk of him are polar opposites.

Cina

They had equal influence.
Just that Ronaldo's goals were accompanied by Higuain & Benzema's as well.
While for Barca, only Messi scored.
I think if you look at the defining games, Ronaldo played a massive part, and I base more influential on the fact that Real bet Barca to the league.

Messi does have more goals but largely due to the fact that nobody else in that Barca team can score any.

NewDawnFades

I can't stand the midget personally. Ronaldo on the other hand was a massively popular lad with all his United team mates and staff which is enough for me. I remember reading an interview with a rock star who I can't think of now but he said its best to create an image of an ego and let people talk about, slag off and sell it all they like and they never know the real you which keeps your life private, I do wonder if Ronaldo was advised to do the same as the public image and how people who know him personally talk of him are polar opposites.
It's not like its a persona though he really does wax and slick his hair back and puff his chest out and strut... you don't need to try and rationalise or imagine that he has created this image. He is a dick, but it's okay that he's a dick when he's that good at football, just like with Giggs - he did a seriously fecked up thing who if it was anyone we knew of in real life we'd think they were scum, but we don't mind because he's been a loyal and quality footballer for us. Messi is just the nicer guy, it doesn't make him a better player. ...his ability does though

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's funny how you think you're qualified to judging who is the "nicer guy". It's amazing how people think they have a measure of footballers personalities from watching them compete on a football pitch.

NewDawnFades

Normally you can't tell from watching someone but Ronaldo's attitude on the pitch is something special. I love the guy and would have him back in a heartbeat but wouldn't wanna hang out with him.

The same things that make him great, his determination and self belief, also make him act this way - he never seems happy unless he's scoring and is much more focused on personal targets and accolades than other greats.

Is Australia a country or a continent, NDF?
It's a countrinent

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Normally you can't tell from watching someone but Ronaldo's attitude on the pitch is something special. I love the guy and would have him back in a heartbeat but wouldn't wanna hang out with him.

The same things that make him great, his determination and self belief, also make him act this way - he never seems happy unless he's scoring and is much more focused on personal targets and accolades than other greats.

It's a countrinent
Is it more special than Giggs who sleeps with his brother's sister? Drogba comes across as a prick on the pitch but apparently people think he's the opposite based on off the field behaviour. Point is you know feck all about these people. It's silly to brand players as nice guys or not nice guys based on close to zilch.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Well footballers play longer minutes per match and the others player more regular/postseason games so that's not really a fair comparison without providing number of games/matches, but Ronaldo is amazing nonetheless.

Also, he does get fouled but Girardi takes brutal full body checks. Hockey players are amazing to me in how they constantly get hit hard and keep on playing, missing teeth or not. Could you imagine if Busquets or Pepe actually got injured on the pitch how they would react?

Cal?

CR7 fan
They had equal influence.
Just that Ronaldo's goals were accompanied by Higuain & Benzema's as well.
While for Barca, only Messi scored.
Poor Messi, having to play with such poor players like Xavi, Iniesta and co. :(

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ronaldo is at the top because he has worked to get there.

Many people had his technique but never his work ethic / confidence to get to where he is.

He is an inspiration to many that shows hard work pays off.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
Ronnie is a machine really, superb fitness level.
That's the thing i like about Ronaldo, despite his obvious arrogance he trains harder than anyone and his dedication to the sport is second to none. If everyone young footballer who wants to be like Ronaldo takes his work eithic and dedication there will be some great young talent coming through.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Well, thankfully he didn't sit around crying like that, and actually performed to justify that he is best player in the world right now.
By failing to win any of the major trophies...

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
He may not be as good as player as he is if there weren't a Messi.... both of them are competing in a different class to the rest of the top players and getting better season after season.
I was being sarcastic. "Bad luck" would be being born with one leg.

204Red

The hardest-working player in professional sports?

i can't point out the ways this is wrong... but let me start by saying, Most NHL players log 20mins a game... a work horse player will play 28-30mins... and they are few and far between.

Dan Girardi is not the Cristiano Ronaldo of the NHL... Alexander Ovechkin, Evgeny Malkin or one of the Sedin brothers might qualify in that role. NHL players can play 4 games a week and take one hell of a pounding night in night out.

This NBA season was shortened due to a labor dispute... they played about 2/3s of a season... but crammed it into the time usually allotted for half the season to take place. This meant that players like Kevin Durrant had to play 3 nights in a row on several occasions, and 5 games in a week.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Weird to include an NHL player when their bodies will take much more physical punishment than any footballer.
So does a boxer but he doesn't fight many times per year. There's a reason why football is one of the hardest sports to compete in. A lot of it has to do with each game being 90 minutes and you play on average more than one game per week. If you get by without any injuries you're definitely in tip top shape.

Saying that your body takes much more physical punishment is stupid. You're thinking body slams only and how often do you really get hit at pace?
They play 3x20 minutes with a lot of breaks. The substitutions go around freely.

It's similar I say. Can't say for sure. Wayne Gretzky is smaller than Ronaldo for example. They're about the same weight as well. Built a bit differently because of the sports but if a footballer could skate real good and was in the same shape as Ronaldo he wouldn't struggle that much on the rink.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
So does a boxer but he doesn't fight many times per year. There's a reason why football is one of the hardest sports to compete in. A lot of it has to do with each game being 90 minutes and you play on average more than one game per week. If you get by without any injuries you're definitely in tip top shape.

Saying that your body takes much more physical punishment is stupid. You're thinking body slams only and how often do you really get hit at pace?
They play 3x20 minutes with a lot of breaks. The substitutions go around freely.

It's similar I say. Can't say for sure. Wayne Gretzky is smaller than Ronaldo for example. They're about the same weight as well. Built a bit differently because of the sports but if a footballer could skate real good and was in the same shape as Ronaldo he wouldn't struggle that much on the rink.
Nope sorry, the physical demands of the two sports aren't atall similar to its just plain stupid to start with.

See the post above yours

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Nope sorry, the physical demands of the two sports aren't atall similar to its just plain stupid to start with.

See the post above yours
Post above mine doesn't prove anything. It only says that they play often per week sometimes. I knew that already.
Durant needing to play 3 nights in a row? That accumulates mostly to a match with extra time.

Your argument is "This is much harder than than that." and when you're disputed you say "No, you're wrong and stupid". Well done. Perhaps if it were a picture of Messi instead of Ronaldo you might be approachable in this.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Post above mine doesn't prove anything. It only says that they play often per week sometimes. I knew that already.
Durant needing to play 3 nights in a row? That accumulates mostly to a match with extra time.

Your argument is "This is much harder than than that." and when you're disputed you say "No, you're wrong and stupid". Well done. Perhaps if it were a picture of Messi instead of Ronaldo you might be approachable in this.
Why is Messi not a footballer too?

Its absurd to compare the physical demands of two completely different sports.

Anyone with half a brain could see that, not sure why mentioned boxing either, as far as I'm aware that wasnt one of the sports named.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He was really good tonight. Unlucky only to score one, but he does finally look like he's able to deliver on the big stage for Portugal at international tournaments.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Amazing how so many people jumped in here when he had a bad game against Denmark to deride him yet no one is here now.

He was good against Germany in a negative team, had an off day against Denmark but has really come alive now the real pressure is on.

He was really good tonight. Unlucky only to score one, but he does finally look like he's able to deliver on the big stage for Portugal at international tournaments.
What was scoring a goal in the semi final of Euro 2004? Add to that him having a good tournament overall at the age of 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.