Ronaldo Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trionz

Your examples are interesting because both those players won the award for contributing greatly to their team winning a major honour, something that Messi has not done this year. Messi though still managed to win the Ballon D'Or in 2010 even though Iniesta, Xavi and Sneijder had better seasons in terms of silverware.

I have a feeling that even if Ronaldo leads Portugal to Euro glory, which is a really big ask considering how the Portuguese squad measures up against Spain and Germany, Messi will still win the Ballon D'Or

Messi is the most talented player in the world, without question, but such is the admiration for him from his fellow professionals and the media, it is going to take a whole lot (and then some) to take that award from him when he is scoring 70 goals in a season.

I feel that Ronaldo will have to put in two crucial and brilliant performances in the semi final and final to even stand a chance.
I don't know what else Messi should have done in this season. Okay should have scored a penalty.
He did his bit, come on.
More than what he did last year.

Regarding Ronaldo winning Ballon D'or, not Messi's fault he doesn't have an international tournament to play in; and Ronaldo will win it if Portugal wins the Euros.

Stretch

Your examples are interesting because both those players won the award for contributing greatly to their team winning a major honour, something that Messi has not done this year. Messi though still managed to win the Ballon D'Or in 2010 even though Iniesta, Xavi and Sneijder had better seasons in terms of silverware.

I have a feeling that even if Ronaldo leads Portugal to Euro glory, which is a really big ask considering how the Portuguese squad measures up against Spain and Germany, Messi will still win the Ballon D'Or

Messi is the most talented player in the world, without question, but such is the admiration for him from his fellow professionals and the media, it is going to take a whole lot (and then some) to take that award from him when he is scoring 70 goals in a season.

I feel that Ronaldo will have to put in two crucial and brilliant performances in the semi final and final to even stand a chance.
Nail. Head. Hit.

This year will probably the closest it has been though between the two, especially Ronaldo can assist in getting Portugal to the final at least. I feel since the last he won it, Ballon D'Or that is, this is the first since then that he's actually deserving of the award but most likely won't get it.

Love both players though and Raoul is right. I love CR and it is unfair towards him and his contribution to football to compare him a footballer who will in all likeliness end up being the greatest ever once his career is over.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I don't know what else Messi should have done in this season. Okay should have scored a penalty.
He did his bit, come on.
More than what he did last year.

Regarding Ronaldo winning Ballon D'or, not Messi's fault he doesn't have an international tournament to play in; and Ronaldo will win it if Portugal wins the Euros.
Messi did his bit for sure but he disappeared in the Spanish title decider at the Camp Nou, a game that was settled by a goal from Ronaldo and then against Chelsea he was unable to make the difference. After those high pressure games were over he came right back to life again. This season was the first time I saw the pressure get to Messi in club football. It is hard to argue with the raw figures in terms of goals and assists that Messi has posted this year but I feel that if Ronaldo can lead Portugal to at least the final of the Euros, then I feel that he will have the edge over Messi in elite level pressure games this season, if that will be enough to take the Ballon D'Or from Messi, I don't know.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Messi did his bit for sure but he disappeared in the Spanish title decider at the Camp Nou, a game that was settled by a goal from Ronaldo and then against Chelsea he was unable to make the difference. After those high pressure games were over he came right back to life again. This season was the first time I saw the pressure get to Messi in club football. It is hard to argue with the raw figures in terms of goals and assists that Messi has posted this year but I feel that if Ronaldo can lead Portugal to at least the final of the Euros, then I feel that he will have the edge over Messi in elite level pressure games this season, if that will be enough to take the Ballon D'Or from Messi, I don't know.
It wasn't a title decider at all, Real were 4 points ahead going into the game so even if Barca won Real still would've won the league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It wasn't a title decider at all, Real were 4 points ahead going into the game so even if Barca won Real still would've won the league.
They would have been within a point, though with a few games still to play. After the season we just had giving an 8 point lead away, United fans should really know that 1 point can easily be overturned. It was a huge game.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I think as it stands Messi still deserves the top awards ahead of Ron. Ron will need to perform in semis and final, probably give at least one MOTM performance, to deserve any award ahead of Messi.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

It was essentially the title decider. If Real had lost then they would have pissed away a massive lead and the pressure would have been immense on them whereas Barca would have been flying.

It was the most important game of the Spanish season.

ricky-romeo

ronaldo will only win the Ballon D'Or if portugal win the euros. as simple as that. btw who does the voting? the reporters or national team managers and captains? these people seem to like messi more for sure. still remember back in 2008 when ronaldo lead us to the CL and premiership double by finishing as the premiership and CL's top scorer. he did end up with the player of the year tittle but messi was a very close second that year. a year later barca won almost everything and messi was the clear winner. ronaldo was a distance second with messi's voting points was at least 3 times more than ronaldo. over the years it seems that is easier for messi to get the votes..ronaldo need to achieve something extra ordinary to beat messi for the player of the year award, such as winning something with portugal for a start.

ricardinho

Ronaldo will not win the award even if he wins the euro.

The all thing is a popularity contest and lets face it Ronaldo is not the most popular player in the world in fact hes arguably the most hated.

On the other hand you have Messi whos almost look at like hes a cant do no wrong saint that plays for the holiest of teams Barça.

Messi will win it again no matter what Ronaldo does.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

The all thing is a popularity contest and lets face it Ronaldo is not the most popular player in the world in fact hes arguably the most hated.

On the other hand you have Messi whos almost look at like hes a cant do no wrong saint that plays for the holiest of teams Barça.

Nah....If Ronnie leads Portugal to the Euros after having led Madrid to La Liga, he will win it. The media upswell of hoisting him to the top has already started during the Euros, so if Portugal somehow win it, he will instantly be elevated to the top. Trophies do matter in the end.

Cina

that's not really true though. He's the 3rd most followed person on Facebook in the world, way ahead of Messi. They're pretty much level in terms of sponsorship. He's also been a star player in the worlds 2 biggest clubs.

I don't think people 'hate' him, they know football wouldn't be as entertaining without him in it.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Think he needs to win the Euros with Portugal and then start next season stronger than Messi to win those awards imo.

Just read some crazy stat that he has already had more shots on goal in this tournament than than any other player in the history of the Euros!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Think he needs to win the Euros with Portugal and then start next season stronger than Messi to win those awards imo.
He shouldn't though. Being the major influence in two of the biggest titles for his club and national team should be more than enough IMO.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Maybe so but other players have won these awards when they clearly weren't the best player in the world so it wouldn't be a surprise. Michael Owen, Zidane, Ronaldo and Kaka all won the Ballon D'Or or World player of the year at one point undeservedly imo.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Maybe so but other players have won these awards when they clearly weren't the best player in the world so it wouldn't be a surprise. Michael Owen, Zidane, Ronaldo and Kaka all won the Ballon D'Or or World player of the year at one point undeservedly imo.
who should have won in those years?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Messi in 2010 was the most undeserved.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Agreed, Ronaldo has already done more than enough to deserve it this season, the only reason why people still expect Messi to win it is because the Barca wan*fest.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
who should have won in those years?
1998 - (Zidane) - Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Davids and Thuram were all better both in the World Cup and in the season as a whole.
2001 - (Owen) - Figo and Raul probably performed to a higher level. Mendieta had a great 00/01 season.
2002 - (Ronaldo) - Ballack and Kahn were both excellent.
2007 - (Kaka) - Don't think this one is so controversial, but Totti's performances for Roma were certainly a cut above what Kaka produced in Serie A.

finneh

He deserves the Ballon D'Or irrespective... playing in a worse team he has won a major trophy. I'd agree however that due to his (lack of) popularity he needs to win the Euro's to stand a chance. When you look at the numerous clowns like John Terry (superseded by Gerrard this year), who won't vote Ronaldo even in their top 3...

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Thank you Gio beat me to it! I'd say in 1998 Bergkamp had been better than Zidane as well, immense in the league and in the World cup he was superb for Holland, that goal against Argentina is one I'll never forget!

I'd also say Zidane in 2003 wasn't the best players in the world. Again with Canavaro he had a great World cup and up to the world cup had been good for his club but joined R.Madrid and was terrible.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If he scores another in the semi's , will it make him the front runner for Balon D'or?
I don't think he'll ever be front runner, but I reckon a big performance against Spain - or rather, Xavi and Iniesta - could be enough to really put him up there as a contender. Even with La Liga I don't think there was much chance of Ronaldo winning it. Add in the golden boot, a place in the final and most likely the golden shoe and there's certainly a chance. If he ends up scoring in a game in which his team lose convincingly then I don't think it'd be enough.

He's already the bookies' favourite for player of the tournament.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ronaldo will win the Balon D'or this year IMO Player of the tournament so far in the Euros, and could lead his country to victory.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Maybe I'm wrong again but I thought this thread was about Ronaldo?

But when I'm on it. Another Messi vs. Ronaldo contest. So interesting....

204Red

Interestingly... Ronaldo has MORE LaLiga goals than Messi over the past two seasons.

He really is on fire right now, If only Portugal had a decent center forward between Ronnie and Nani it really would be game over.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Maybe I'm wrong again but I thought this thread was about Ronaldo?

But when I'm on it. Another Messi vs. Ronaldo contest. So interesting....
We are talking about if Ronaldo can win the Ballon D'or next year. It is a natural topic of conversation in this thread when Ronaldo is lighting up the Euros. It just so happens that M**** has enjoyed a recent monopoly on the award so again it is perfectly natural to talk about him.

Get a grip.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I'm pretty sure that when the portugese national anthem plays, in his head he's singing "Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldo...Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldoooo"

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Ronaldo will win the Balon D'or this year IMO Player of the tournament so far in the Euros, and could lead his country to victory.
I'd be very surprised if he does win it. Of course he'd be a lot more likely to do if Portugal win the Euros, but the chances of that happening are quite slim to be honest. When you look at how much of a record breaker Messi has been this season, as well as his incredible all-round performances, I just can't see him not winning it.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Nah....If Ronnie leads Portugal to the Euros after having led Madrid to La Liga, he will win it. The media upswell of hoisting him to the top has already started during the Euros, so if Portugal somehow win it, he will instantly be elevated to the top. Trophies do matter in the end.
Apparently this was not the case in 2004 and 2010.

In other even numbered years we have seen the best international tournament performer win awards but not always, and rightly or not.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Apparently this was not the case in 2004 and 2010.

In other even numbered years we have seen the best international tournament performer win awards but not always, and rightly or not.
Not really the same when the person who leads their team to the championship is Ronaldo instead of Sneijder or Charisteas.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
You're kidding?

Two honking performances and two good performances?

There have been players who have been consistantly good and scored the same number of goals with a fraction of the efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.