Ronaldo Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traub

Ronaldo will have to basically single-handedly win this tournament to win the Ballon D'Or.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You're kidding?

Two honking performances and two good performances?

There have been players who have been consistantly good and scored the same number of goals with a fraction of the efforts
I think much of the criticism for his 'honking' performances was very overblown personally, I thought he was reasonable impressive at the beginning of the tournament. He's always been a threat, he's just not had the goals to really outline how much of a threat he's been. To an extent, it's how Messi played in the World Cup with him coming very close to scoring two or three of the best goals in the tournament but simply was a bit unlucky. Ronaldo with a bit of luck would've had a couple more (excellently taken) goals in this tournament. Of course, the all-round play isn't at the same level but that doesn't take away from the fact he's most likely been directly involved in more chances than any other player in the tournament. He's been a threat in behind, he's been a threat in the air and he's been a threat dribbling from wide positions.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ronaldo will have to basically single-handedly win this tournament to win the Ballon D'Or.
I don't understand this logic. As if he had an average league season. He too was phenomenal and actually won something relevant.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I think much of the criticism for his 'honking' performances was very overblown personally, I thought he was reasonable impressive at the beginning of the tournament. He's always been a threat, he's just not had the goals to really outline how much of a threat he's been. To an extent, it's how Messi played in the World Cup with him coming very close to scoring two or three of the best goals in the tournament but simply was a bit unlucky. Ronaldo with a bit of luck would've had a couple more (excellently taken) goals in this tournament. Of course, the all-round play isn't at the same level but that doesn't take away from the fact he's most likely been directly involved in more chances than any other player in the tournament. He's been a threat in behind, he's been a threat in the air and he's been a threat dribbling from wide positions.
It probably is overblown.

He should have done better against the Germans but it wasnt terrible. Denmark though I thought was a shocker, blew golden chances and didnt track back.

All im saying is player of the tournament is really stretching it when theres been a few players who've turned it on in each game!

surf

Ronaldo has been fantastic this season and in any normal time would easily win Ballon D'Or. But the other guy has something like 80 goals and 30 assists and therefore will probably get it. IMO these 2 are setting standards, mainly at club level, that surpass the former greats.

As to the Euros, Ronaldo dominates some games like no other player at the tournament can.

Traub

I don't understand this logic. As if he had an average league season. He too was phenomenal and actually won something relevant.
Yes, he did. However, as strange as it may sound, Messi just looks better.

Ronaldo will need to do something spectacular to take the Ballon D'Or away from him.

The White Pele

I think Ronaldo vs Holland was the best individual performance of the tournament so far. He was very good last night also.

Skorenzy

spain was not all that convincing against portugal in 2010 WC.

ronnie can knock them out in the semis.

If Portugal are to knock Spain out, it will be a team effort. They are quite difficult to beat against top opposition anyway.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I suppose Cannovaro was a bigger name than Ronaldhino as well.
I could also have pointed out that in 2008 Ronaldo was the player of the year and not a player that was the best in an international tournament. Spain dominated the Euro's with Xavi being voted the best and Villa getting the golden boot. So your original

I certainly didn't agree with Cannavaro winning it. Ronaldinho had the achievements that season and was very good. Zidane was also better than Cannavaro. But in those years in question you didn't have Ronaldo or Messi in their current form. That what was I was getting at. Their form for the past two seasons is better than we've seen from any player in the past 10.

I agree with your point that him winning the Euros won't be a clincher but I just didn't fully agree with your argument :)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ronaldo will win it if he leads Portugal to the Euros.
Let's put everything in the perspective, Messi scored 70 goals but has simply won nothing. Ronaldo will score over 60 goals, won Real the league, and lead Portugal to the Euros.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Portugal won't get much possession of the ball, Ronaldo will get frustrated and his usual petulant self will surface......
I have serious doubts about that. The last 2 times Spain met Portugal they didn't over enjoy themselves. Especially the 4-1 thrashing in a friendly. That game will be like a local derby in club football. Spain will have to be brilliant to best the Portugeese.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would be great if Portugal beat Spain. My ideal final would be Germany vs France/Portugal with Germany winning.

Cold_Boy

Not sure about Portugal against Spain.

Portugal's midfield will have to put a performance of their lives to get involved Ronaldo and Nani much.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Less insufferable than all the Messi fanbois who were all so delighted when Barca beat United at Wembley. :mad:
You seem to believe that anyone who thinks Messi is the best player in the world is a fanboy, yet you're okay to have your beliefs that Ronaldo is a better player. Bizarre that.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Less insufferable than all the Messi fanbois who were all so delighted when Barca beat United at Wembley. :mad:
There wasn't a single person here who was delighted when Barcelona beat us.

Spoony

The People's President
I can understand him. If you had to choose between them to play for united, I honestly think I'd go for Ronnie now
Nah, that'd be illogical. Given the choice Messi's a no brainer...unless you can't put aside your emotional attachment.

JB7

Not really, Ronaldo's direct style is much better suited to the way we play than Messi's intricate passing and dribbling skills. Not to mention that Ronaldo already knows the game of players like Rooney and Nani inside out as well.

Spoony

The People's President
Not really, Ronaldo's direct style is much better suited to the way we play than Messi's intricate passing and dribbling skills. Not to mention that Ronaldo already knows the game of players like Rooney and Nani inside out as well.
Messi's a better player. He's also a team player...no doubt he'd rip up the Prem playing for United. I suspect if you asked any manager including Fergie...which player they'd like to sign..given the chance...Ronaldo would be a distant second choice behind Messi.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Ah the ol' "Ronaldo can do it for United but Messi can't BS".

Messi would be an undoubted star here. Nobody in their right senses would choose Ronaldo over Messi given the choice.

SATA

He's now in his peak years, and he's finally producing on the world stage. Watch him become a beast as well in the next World Cup. But i do wonder how much of a player he will detoriate into when he gets older with age what with his physique, power and pace. May perhaps end up as a striker in his 30s with that phenomenal goalscoring record of his

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Losing his pace will affect him significantly imo.

but with his finishing and predatory instincts he'd still be a top class striker, no question.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I wonder how Ronaldo will deal with being mortal once he gets older.

He has this obsession with being perfect all the time and once his legs go he'll probably hate himself. He relies so much on his physique and pace that he'll have a really rapid decline once those go.

He doesn't strike me as the type to go to a lower league or back to Portugal once he's finished at the highest level.

I think he'll pack it in by the time he's 33.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Pretty much goes for any World Class flair player, Iniesta, Nani, Messi, Ronaldo, Nasri, Silva etc etc.
It wont affect some of those players to the same degree.

You look at Giggs for example, good enough passer and comfortably enough in possession hes managed to reinvent himself.

I cant see lack of pace really taking a player like Iniesta down a few levels, with his touch and vision he'll always be able to perform his role at the top level. imo anyway.

Seeing Ronaldo dart in behind defences with that electric pace, I think a lack of that will affect his game quite a bit. But like I said, hes so good in and around the box he'd still make a world class striker (obviously hes a striker now, but I mean and out and out striker hanging around the penalty box)

I'm always right

It wont affect some of those players to the same degree.

You look at Giggs for example, good enough passer and comfortably enough in possession hes managed to reinvent himself.

I cant see lack of pace really taking a player like Iniesta down a few levels, with his touch and vision he'll always be able to perform his role at the top level. imo anyway.

Seeing Ronaldo dart in behind defences with that electric pace, I think a lack of that will affect his game quite a bit. But like I said, hes so good in and around the box he'd still make a world class striker (obviously hes a striker now, but I mean and out and out striker hanging around the penalty box)
Massively underrating Ronaldo's abilities as a footballer.

Cold_Boy

:lol::lol:

I can't think of anyone apart from the rival fans here who were delighted for Barca.

Seriously.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
:lol::lol:

I can't think of anyone apart from the rival fans here who were delighted for Barca.

Seriously.
You can bet your bollocks to a barn dance that if Madrid end up playing Utd in next seasons CL, and Ronaldo put Utd to the sword with a couple of goals, that really would soften the blow for Cal big time :smirk:

It would be like "aahhhh, its so sad that we're out, but you just can't compete with the genius of Ronaldo, those muscular thighs were just too much for our lads. I'm away for a cry wank"

Status
Not open for further replies.