Rooney is finished

Is Rooney done at the required level?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
You saud 1 world class player per position, at least as per your criteria and that's what I disagreed with.

Also Rooney was at his peak from 2006-12, in that time frame

Henry - Wasn't in PL.
RVP - Wasn't better than Rooney. He had superb 2011-12 season but before that he was always injured.
Torres - Apart from 2007-08 season, Rooney outscored him in all seasons.
Drogba - Rooney outscored him more often than not.
Suarez - Till 2012 Suarez played 1 and half seasons in PL and scored 21 goals (in all competition), Rooney scored more than 30 goals in 2011-12 season alone.
No I never said that. Maybe thats what YOU understood from what I said but that definitely was not what I said. Rooney was a level below all of those guys when everyone was at their best.

Those guys were unplayable at the top of their game and I don't really remember Rooney ever being unplayable or being at that level that made him stand out above his team mates.

Oaencha

Torres didnt play that much under him, he also had not many alternatives, Ba and Etoo. The season after he went to Atletico. Falcao was a sub most of the time. I am bit sure Mou wanted him that much too. So a bit of a different scenario than here.
I should have made that clearer. I wasn't specifically referencing Mourinho to Torres and Falcao. I meant that the respective managers; LVG etc... persisted with them even though it was clear as day they were shadows of their former selves.

decorativeed

When Sir Alex left, I thought the one good thing that came out of it is that he had engineered a way to get Rooney out at the same time. Then bloody Moyes comes in and bends over backward to keep the useless twat. The number of ridiculous mistakes made by the people running the club that summer is unbelievable in hindsight, but it was obvious at the time too!

Skåre Willoch

No I never said that. Maybe thats what YOU understood from what I said but that definitely was not what I said. Rooney was a level below all of those guys when everyone was at their best.

Those guys were unplayable at the top of their game and I don't really remember Rooney ever being unplayable or being at that level that made him stand out above his team mates.
Don't you just hate when stats and facts interfers with personal opinion? ;)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
For example in Premier League, Drogba, Henry, Torres, Suarez and RvP were all better than Rooney. He wasn't even at the elite level in the Premier League compared to the other strikers.

I didn't watch much of Tevez or Berbatov so I dont know if he was better than his own team mates or not but all those other strikers were definitely better than Rooney.

That's why I just never seen him as world class because he was still behind just the Premier League strikers never mind the rest of the world.
The problem with your post is that all the players you quote peaked at different points. Rooney was already on his way down when Suarez came. Henry was at the end of his career when Rooney was at his peak. Those are just two examples.
At Rooney's best, he was certainly one of the best attackers in the world.

Gatti33

Sammy is all over the shop here.
His only argument was rooney's past, and not even recent past its from 4 seasons ago. But Keith made a brilliant point of its the past we're going with then bring robo back, bring chorlton back!

Ixion

For example in Premier League, Drogba, Henry, Torres, Suarez and RvP were all better than Rooney. He wasn't even at the elite level in the Premier League compared to the other strikers.
Nah was totally in the elite level of Premier League strikers around this time

Adisa

His only argument was rooney's past, and not even recent past its from 4 seasons ago. But Keith made a brilliant point of its the past we're going with then bring robo back, bring chorlton back!
Yeh, he was saying we should consider What he's done for us in times past and he's about the be top goal scorer.
How does that help us now?

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The problem with your post is that all the players you quote peaked at different points. Rooney was already on his way down when Suarez came. Henry was at the end of his career when Rooney was at his peak. Those are just two examples.
At Rooney's best, he was certainly one of the best attackers in the world.
I think Rooney's best wasn't as good as the other players best thats probably why I dont see him as being as good as you make him out to be. Just a difference of opinion.
Don't you just hate when stats and facts interfers with personal opinion? ;)
If player A scores more goals than player B that automatically makes him a better player then? You need to go much deeper in stats to compare them other than just goals.

AndyJ1985

Amazing call! :lol:
We need more callers saying the same. We need to hammer the point home that we've all had enough of him.

Unfortunately we're dealing with many blinkered pundits and people like Sammy who can't give an impartial opinion on one of their mates. But it's about time they were pulled up on the nonsense they still talk about him.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
If player A scores more goals than player B that automatically makes him a better player then? You need to go much deeper in stats to compare them other than just goals.
But players like Torres, RVP are pure goal scorers and they should be judged on goals scored. At least for Drogba it's different.

Rooney was fantastic player at his peak and not many better than him.

Adisa

I think Rooney's best wasn't as good as the other players best thats probably why I dont see him as being as good as you make him out to be. Just a difference of opinion.

At his best, he was certainly up here with Torres, Drogba and RVP. Not as good as Henry or Suarez though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
i have a friend whos a conspiracy theory nut... he reckons 2 years ago rooney joined the illuminati.... here are his reasons...

1. rooney was getting slated before the wc and there were calls for him to be dropped. After the wc, he is made captain
2. he is made captain of man utd aswel
3. he has a a new celebration where he does the illuminati triangle with his hands every time he scores
4. he is absolutely terrible but two managers who have a history of not giving a f about reputations (jose and lvg) refuse to even consider dropping him. instead play him all over the park to shoehorn him into the side...
5. no mainstream pundit has called for him to be dropped in the last two years

as ridiculous as all that sounds, i honestly am at a point now where rooney joining a secret worldwide **** who has the power to influence global events, is one of the more likely explanations for why nobody at Manchester United can see his obvious decline...
Illuminati ain't got shit on Jose. He'll turn that triangle upside down if he has his say.

btw what a call.. Keith is a legend. Hope he called with caller ID unknown.. otherwise illuminati gonna get him like they did Dave Chapell.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
At his best, he was certainly up here with Torres, Drogba and RVP. Not as good as Henry or Suarez though.
The thing with Rooney is that it didn't last, to me he is in the same bracket than Tevez.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
We will know on Saturday if he isn't dropped that something is very, very wrong with how our club is being run.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Amazing call! :lol:
WOW, that's the first time I've ever seen anybody with half a brain call into MUTV. He's absolutely bang on, and sums up how pretty much every united fan feels at the minute.

It just shows that the ex pro's and friends of Rooney haven't and can't accept that he's passed it. They say he's only 30 like it's just a blip and expect him to be solid for another 4-5 years afterwards.

"but look at what he's done for United and England" Yeah he's been fantastic over the last 12 years, but that's exactly the problem. HAS BEEN. I genuinely think these older guys forget how good he used to be. If they saw a young Rooney compared to now they would be shocked.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nah was totally in the elite level of Premier League strikers around this time

He was world class that season. Doing great in Europe too until that ankle injury. Everything has gone wrong since then unfortunately.

Adisa

The thing with Rooney is that it didn't last, to me he is in the same bracket than Tevez.
For me Rooney was a world class player from 2007. He didn't get the goals Ronaldo did. 20 in 2007, 23 in 08, 17 in 09 but he was delivering class performances. Remember played majority of that period on the wing. Between 2007 and 2010, there aren't many attackers I wold have had ahead of him.

m1y2

That grey haired guy should retire from being a "pundit".

Well done from the guy who called.. we need more of this

Adisa

It's quite remarkable and sad that his best years were between the ages of 21 and 24. That's an incredibly early peak.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Torres and RVP's peak didn't last long imo.
I completely agree and neither will be greatly remembered, the same way Falcao won't. Rooney is in that bracket but he had the chance of playing regularly for a great manager and a great club.

Winrar

his all around play is brutal. he does pop up with few goals and assists here and there but it's not enough to cover up for his decline and it's just papering over the cracks.

Ventura

He has started despite his contribution now for years under different managers. He's clearly being picked for some off-pitch reason, and that probably won't change now. He'll start against Leicester. His performances are simply not relevant.

Adisa

I completely agree and neither will be greatly remembered, the same way Falcao won't. Rooney is in that bracket but he had the chance of playing regularly for a great manager and a great club.
I think Rooney will be remembered as a great simply because of the records he will hold. Whether he was world class or not won't even come into the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.