Rooney is finished

Is Rooney done at the required level?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
With or without him our attack is diabolical, there is a serious lack of movement, width, speed and ideas in general, our only gameplan seems to to be get it in and around Ibrahimovic.
Yes I know Rooney is a problem but we look totally disjointed and rudderless regardless.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
It doesn't work like that with Wayne. He regresses when he isn't playing, but he isn't good enough now to be playing every game. So ideally he doesn't play at this level anymore.
I dont think he only relies on his brute force and got no footballing brain of how to read the game and set the pace. If he can work with his range of shots and accuracy I am sure he would have a longer and happier footballing life. Otherwise every performance of his will only tarnish his brand image !

Kag

I'm just going off what I've heard and read from people I'd assume to know a fair bit about it, but basically, yeah.

The majority of 16-21 year olds play age appropriate football and only once they hit 21 start making bit part appearances in senior sides. There's a reason we have under 16s, 17s, 18s, 19s, 21s and even under 23s as distinct categories away from senior football. Rooney made his Everton debut at 16 years old in 2002, then went on to play in 37 games for them that season. He then made another 40 appearances the following season.

He signed for United aged 18, and had already made 77 senior appearances across the three top domestic competitions, then once you included his international caps, he'd already made 90 odd professional appearances. He then made 40 or more appearances every year for United for 8 consecutive seasons, ending in 2012-13 where he made 37. By the end of the 2012-13 season, still aged 27, Rooney had made 479 professional appearances at club level, and over 80 appearances for England at senior level. Additionally, for much of his career he has been one of, if not the only real key player for whoever he's played for.

If you take Ashley Young, who's just a few months older than Rooney, as a sort of "normal" example, he didn't make his professional debut until he was 18, and only made 6 appearances in his first season. At the end of this season, Rooney had already made 77 appearances for Everton. Young broke through properly in his second, aged 19, and maintained that for his third season. However, Young made his debut at Watford in Division 1/Championship, and didn't play in the Premier League until he was 21. Had Watford not been promoted, he may not have made his Premier League debut until later still.

At the end of 2012-13, aged 27, Ashley Young had made 355 professional appearances at club level, and just shy of 30 for England at senior level. That's over 170 games difference, and whilst Young was important for Watford and Villa, Rooney had been key for Everton, United and England for the majority of games he'd played for them by that point, in a way that just wasn't the same for Young.

In addition to playing a high number of games (719 at the moment, I think), Rooney's style of play has relied heavily on his physical attributes. It's no secret that players who rely on strength or speed tend to burn out sooner than those that rely more on their technical ability, and whilst Rooney's technical ability isn't exactly poor, it's never been something that particularly stood out about his game. I think this, and an inability to adjust his mental approach to the game, leaves him struggling now his legs aren't quite doing what he wants them to do anymore.

I think he did an interview once where he said every break from football, be it because of injury, a holiday in the off-season or simply a bit of a gap between games, would mean extra sessions in the gym for at least a couple of weeks to shed the weight and get his sharpness back, with more needed the longer the break. I think in the same one he mentioned Giggs not needing to do anything like that because his natural fitness was much better than Rooney's. Rooney's been playing top level football for 14 years now, so he's playing a high number of games, in a key role, and in a highly physical manner, for both club and country, as well as having to constantly do extra work in the gym every couple of months or so, since he was about 17. It's no wonder he's fecked.
Really interesting post. There's definitely some credence to the professional age versus actual age theory when it comes to Rooney. He's more like a 35 year old.

Devil may care

I do wonder how it works for morale when you have this turd in the positions other players are lucky to get a sub appearance in, starting every game with zero chance of being dropped. Even the ones playing must know that if one of the fringe guys has a good game in the EFL Cup or the EL that one of them will be dropped rather than Rooney.

Mr. Meeseeks

Deserves to be out of the team. If Mourinho wants to improve the team he has to show that he has the balls to drop any player who underperforms. This is the worst I can recall ever seeing Wayne Rooney. I'm a fan of his, but after this performance he deserves to be warming the bench for a few matches. Some of his passes.. I saw him misplace an 5 yard pass under no pressure!

Its like he's lost all drive to prove himself. Making him Captain and a guaranteed starter has made him lose focus and motivation. We need to drop him for his own good. Give him a hunger to show his quality again.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Does Rooney win any head balls anymore? I get the feeling he is just going through the motions and pretending he is trying to win the header. He pretends to jump as high as he can and loses out.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rooney, Fellaini nor Martial should be starting.

Nero

I do wonder how it works for morale when you have this turd in the positions other players are lucky to get a sub appearance in, starting every game with zero chance of being dropped. Even the ones playing must know that if one of the fringe guys has a good game in the EFL Cup or the EL that one of them will be dropped rather than Rooney.
This is why I don't buy this idea that managers are worried about dropping Rooney due to 'upsetting' the dressing room. Surely every one of our players is aware that Rooney is a detriment to this team, and therefore their own personal ambitions of winning games, and ultimately medals.

They may not say anything publicly (obviously they shouldn't), they may even come out and say what a great player and captain he is as some have done. However in their own minds I'm sure they all know Rooney is a hindrance and shouldn't be playing.

spwd

I loved the pass to pogba I think it was on the right from about ten foot away, Wayne hit it like he was shooting at goal:lol:

Crikey @Nero thats some post count for 8 years ;)

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Great servant. But needs to realise he's not at the required level and him still playing is causing us more hurt than good.

Jose seems to be bottling the decision, Rooney should be the bigger man and ask to be dropped.

I can't fathom how neither Jose nor Rooney can look at his performances this season and think he is doing enough to warrent a place in this team.

He is playing in the position De Bruyne is currently...we've got Rooney they've got him.

Embarrassing.

Last edited:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Great serving. But needs to realise he's not at the required level and him still playing is causing us more hurt than good.

Jose seems to be bottling the decision, Rooney should be the bigger man and ask to be dropped.

I can't fathom how neither Jose nor Rooney can look at his performances this season and think he is doing enough to warrent a place in this team.

He is playing in the position De Bruyne is currently...we've got Rooney there got him.

Embarrassing.
Will never happen

Jazz

This poll will surely attract some media attention?
Only if the tweeters send it to the journalists so others can see. Otherwise they'll just ignore us:(

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
So where are the 'I'd let Rooney shag my nan' posters now?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Does Rooney win any head balls anymore? I get the feeling he is just going through the motions and pretending he is trying to win the header. He pretends to jump as high as he can and loses out.
He can't head anymore because of his Botox

Dé jonge god

People commenting on ManUtd's facebook page are going completely bananas about Rooney aswell.

C3Pique

I'm the same age as Rooney and whilst I haven't played football to the extent he has, I've damaged my ankle ligaments in the way that Daniel Taylor described and it reaches a point where they just don't heal anymore. I have to wear heavy braces on both ankles whenever I play, and your ankles just don't have the flexibility to properly get your foot round the ball, turn, cut and stop as before. In fact any tweak or uneven surface and in all likelihood your ankle will roll and damage the ligaments again.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rooney is the same - heck I bet he'd fail a medical even if we tried to sell him. He and his shithouse agent probably knew that when they called Moyes' bluff and threatened to go elsewhere.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
The media is starting to turn against him as well. Daily Telegraph, Mirror, Guardian and The Independent all came out with some anti-Rooney articles. Jose needs to bite the bullet and get rid of him.

Jazz

The media is starting to turn against him as well. Daily Telegraph, Mirror, Guardian and The Independent all came out with some anti-Rooney articles. Jose needs to bite the bullet and get rid of him.
Good. They've been keeping him comfortable for years, throwing everyone else under the bus. About time they start cleaning up their mess. Wish our ex players would follow suit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Woodward, Mourinho and the rest of the club are just going to have to come to grips with the reality of the matter - just because he is on 300k a week doesn't mean he has to start. Either bench him or sell him in the next window, and buy out the remaining time on his contract.

Ixion

Just wish he was treated like anyone else. Play badly, get subbed off and dropped till he earns his place back.

Pscholes18

Out of Moyes, LVG, Allerdyce, and Maureen....you'd think Jose wouldn't have an issue dropping this wage highjacking cnut to the bench.....surely he sees how shite Rooney is....he somehow starts match after match and the most cringeworthy thing today is he lasted the whole 90! Shocking!

Jig1234

He was done when Fergie retired. Can't believe Brendan Rodgers had the balls to ship out Gerrard but Utd have gone through three managers carrying this laggard...

Also it's not about dropping him one game bringing him back the next. It's about calling it a day moving on. Shipping him out.

Jazz

Woodward, Mourinho and the rest of the club are just going to have to come to grips with the reality of the matter - just because he is on 300k a week doesn't mean he has to start. Either bench him or sell him in the next window, and buy out the remaining time on his contract.
Yeah I agree, but won't hold my breath about it happening.:(

Jazz

He was done when Fergie retired. Can't believe Brendan Rodgers had the balls to ship out Gerrard but Utd have gone through three managers carrying this laggard...
Will be 4 soon if Jose persists with him. Rooney, the manager slayer (sigh)

manunited1919

Realistically we ain't getting top four with fatty in the side.

Pep has got balls, Yaya and Hart.

Jose......clearly hasn't.
Jose and Faria can't be that blind. There must be a reason they kept him there even when he is beyond despair. I just hope that their hands are not tied.

manunited1919

I agree, Woodward and the Board may need to make a decision.

pacifictheme

I am sick of actually reading this. He is overweight and had the agility of an elephant, he has the worst first touch I have seen an attacking player have, he cannot pass unless it is to Valencia and the timing of Valencia is perfect, he cannot cross at all, he cannot press but instead orders others to press while he is staying, and he doesn't want to get involved in parts of the pitch where there are a lot of opposition players. But somehow, he is a good player.

No, he isn't. He would look bad in any EPL team, and look average in lower divisions.
This is the kind of hyperbolic shite that bores rational united fans.

Yeah he needs dropping, but jesus what drivel.

Someone

Something
The thing with rooney is that most of the time after a shit game you could say maybe he wasn't the worst player on the pitch and we shouldn't single him out etc. But the honest truth is, we knew how good he could play, and he he hasn't played like rooney the top player in years, he's simply an average player now capable of a decent game here and there.

For this team to progress, we need to move on, even if he's clearly not the only problem we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.