Rooney Praises the Glazers

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He’s not the sharpest tool in the box. But he praised them for not interfering with the team. Something Fergie did a lot.

Mick1

To be fair he didn't even say they did well for the club. He just said they did fantastically well ( a 100 mil investment into a 5 bil + return, means they did very well for themselves ), and are hated by the fans and need to leave.

Maybe Rooney isn't as thick as most on here seem to think, and gave a technically correct answer, not burning bridges. Seems like a nothing statement to me

glasgow 21

Our former players aren't very bright.
I asked a boss in a completely different field nothing to do with football what was the secret to his success and he was very successful. He replied " All the team around him at his most successful time were thick" and consequently never doubted him and done everything exactly what he asked. They weren't distracted and it was an avenue out of the deprivation of the late 70's council estates.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I asked a boss in a completely different field nothing to do with football what was the secret to his success and he was very successful. He replied " All the team around him at his most successful time were thick" and consequently never doubted him and done everything exactly what he asked. They weren't distracted and it was an avenue out of the deprivation of the late 70's council estates.
Saf lead some of the most successful teams in the country. God bless them

Varun

Staff
He probably also thinks Glazers buying us was one of the main reasons why we won the treble in 99. The guy was always dim so no real surprises there. Pretty amazing to not know whether glazers were owners when he signed :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't get this 'not burning bridges' BS. I mean, we're talking about a guy whose net worth is 170m dollars. Don't tell me he can't afford to speak his own mind up to defend the very fans and the very club that made him? Unless of course he can't give a feck about both.

The same and worse can be said by Sir Alex Ferguson. The guy is worth 70m dollars and he's 81 years old. That money will keep his family well off for more generations of Fergusons that the guy will ever have the privilege to meet. Surely he can afford to show the middle finger to any ceremonial jobs the Glazers provides him with and to finally defend the club that made him. After the Rock of Gibraltar's mess he owes the club that much

ti vu

This view that SAF is on the payroll is an insult. So what are we saying? He built us for 27 years then got some cash from the Glaziers then became a puppet and stood back and watched the Glaziers destroy everything we stood for? And on top of it so did all our players and staff. But the CAF knows and the Youtubers knows the truth. Does that sum it up?
He's actually on the payroll, as a director. Doesn't change what your feeling is.

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs/12/Manchester-United/directory

He has his own reason to take this role. I don't know. You have your guess. SAF is bound by his role to stay on his employer good book, unlike Rooney. That's point.

Lecland07

The reality is, whilst people come on here don't like the Glazers, it seems that they actually got on quite well with the players and Ferguson. I know people want them to come out and criticise the Glazers, but that just isn't going to happen in this instance. Do you tend to come out and criticise people in public who you know quite well?

To the players and Ferguson, the Glazers are actual people that they, likely, have spoken to, but to people on here they are like comic-book villains.

In the end, Rooney has his view and has seen first hand what the owners are like; this is a view that most people will not get. He played in a period of enormous success with the Glazers as owners; they didn't interfere in the management of the football side, unlike an owner like Boehly.

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Something about Rooney that I always felt he lacked self-awareness and was very self-absorbed. Great player but doesn’t go far beyond that

UpWithRivers

ti vu

What's feelings got to do with it? You are saying that SAF is a Glazier puppet. Thats an insult to SAF
Where did I say it?

You made assumption all by your own because you get emotional for nothing. You're the one brought up SAF for the comparison with Rooney, which is different scenario. I am not the only one responded to you

SAF literally is an employee now. As an employee of the club, he doesn't feel the Glazers treat him wrong, then he has his right, and being honest to say SAF treat him right. How the club is run as football operation is another matter and it doesn't need any explanation. Two different matters.

If you interpreted it as a puppet, then it's on you. Prove that I said SAF read the script Glazers force him to say/ act on.

clarkydaz

The reality is, whilst people come on here don't like the Glazers, it seems that they actually got on quite well with the players and Ferguson. I know people want them to come out and criticise the Glazers, but that just isn't going to happen in this instance. Do you tend to come out and criticise people in public who you know quite well?

To the players and Ferguson, the Glazers are actual people that they, likely, have spoken to, but to people on here they are like comic-book villains.

In the end, Rooney has his view and has seen first hand what the owners are like; this is a view that most people will not get. He played in a period of enormous success with the Glazers as owners; they didn't interfere in the management of the football side, unlike an owner like Boehly.
from what i read, Fergie liked the fact they didnt interfere much, so they stayed out of the way while he ran the club. i thought Ole was against them as a player

MUFC OK

Here’s everyone’s favourite legend praising the Glazers yet again in an interview with Ornstein.

Chairman Steve

I don’t suppose a first team player has much dialogue with the Glazers outside of shaking their hands after winning a trophy really. They paid him handsomely and nothing more. Any day to day interactions was with Ferguson.

I‘d pay money to ask Ferguson about the ‘no value in the market’ times and ask him to answer it without being diplomatic and without his politician hat on.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
To be fair back then he was often feeling angry and confused so probably didnt pay a lot of attention or he did but couldnt grasp the situation.

FujiVice

People dont seem to understand that Rooney is in the game. If you go slagging owners off, how terribly does that reflect on him? What if the owner of Lille is friends with the Glazers? Or Brighton need a new manager and their owner is put off by Rooney burying the Man United owners in public? Stop acting like Rooney is a fan. What he said was harmless enough.

Ted Lasso

Embarrassing from fans criticizing Rooney here, calling him dim witted. He's taking the objectively smart road by not burning bridges. Considering his USA ties now, it would be stupid to hurt that network to appease opinionated xenophobic fans who haven't done enough to get the Glazers out themselves.

tomaldinho1

Embarrassing from fans criticizing Rooney here, calling him dim witted. He's taking the objectively smart road by not burning bridges. Considering his USA ties now, it would be stupid to hurt that network to appease opinionated xenophobic fans who haven't done enough to get the Glazers out themselves.
He’s also not exactly wrong. They have been successful (for themselves) and fans do want change. They have built the clubs value immensely and they will certainly not get thanks for that from the fans.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We don't anymore speak about Wayne Rooney eh?
And you too fat man, because you're not welcomed anymore.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
1. Players will always have a very different relationship with the club compared to fans. During his time here, he won every trophy possible and probably didn't see anything wrong.

2. It took the likes of Gary Neville 17 years and the Glazers threatening to break away from the Premier League before him and other ex players realised they were bad.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
He’s also not exactly wrong. They have been successful (for themselves) and fans do want change. They have built the clubs value immensely and they will certainly not get thanks for that from the fans.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with what he's said. It's the most diplomatic answer to give when pressed on the matter.

Sylar

Im guessing he wouldnt have got that contract he did with many other owners of top clubs. It was insane at the time and even more so looking back.
Then we did the same with DDG.
And it seems like we tried to do the same with Pogba (who thankfully turned it down, because of his own greed)

Mr Smith

Clearly playing the long game, wants to manage the club and knows they'll still be here in 10 years.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I don’t suppose a first team player has much dialogue with the Glazers outside of shaking their hands after winning a trophy really. They paid him handsomely and nothing more. Any day to day interactions was with Ferguson.

I‘d pay money to ask Ferguson about the ‘no value in the market’ times and ask him to answer it without being diplomatic and without his politician hat on.
He didn't have a problem with the Glazers when he was manager. They allowed him to run the club without much interference and took care of him when he retired by putting him on the board. Since he retired I'm sure he's disagreed with a lot of decisions they've made, one being Ed Woodward who SAF reportedly couldn't stand.

flappyjay

Stop speaking sense. Stop using your brain instead of your emotions for a reply to this thread.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

This is all true up to a point.

But there’s also players who’ve been let down / outright hurt by the Glazers awful handling of things, players like Rio or more recently de Gea for instance.

Then you’d have players like Ronaldo who have blatantly stated that the way they run club is crap and not to the level befitting a giant club in the modern World.

Then you have countless managers who’ve been let down by them and feel the way they operate is crap.

Rooney himself publicly stated that he felt the club lacked ambition - and given that the club at that time was managed by SAF, I doubt he was talking about the manager.

Rooney’s either deluded by the wealth they gave him, or simply covering his bases to suggest the Glazers have ever done anything for Man Utd.

They’ve done plenty for him, but he shouldn’t confuse that with them ever doing anything for Utd.

Withnail

Here’s everyone’s favourite legend praising the Glazers yet again in an interview with Ornstein.
Very successful? Is he having a feckin laugh? A decade of underachievement since the goose that laid the golden eggs retired doesn't look like success to me.

Care to explain what the leeches 'have done for the club', Rooney?

Withnail

Xenophobic fans? Absolute nonsense. What a clueless post.

He's also had a pop at the fans here, claiming they don't recognise what the Glazers have done for the club. Well, they've done feck all.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Sorry… what!?

Fans who want the Glazers out are xenophobic!?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
This is all true up to a point.

But there’s also players who’ve been let down / outright hurt by the Glazers awful handling of things, players like Rio or more recently de Gea for instance.

Then you’d have players like Ronaldo who have blatantly stated that the way they run club is crap and not to the level befitting a giant club in the modern World.

Then you have countless managers who’ve been let down by them and feel the way they operate is crap.

Rooney himself publicly stated that he felt the club lacked ambition - and given that the club at that time was managed by SAF, I doubt he was talking about the manager.

Rooney’s either deluded by the wealth they gave him, or simply covering his bases to suggest the Glazers have ever done anything for Man Utd.

They’ve done plenty for him, but he shouldn’t confuse that with them ever doing anything for Utd.
The Glazers don't make personnel decisions IIRC.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Sorry… what!?

Fans who want the Glazers out are xenophobic!?
I assume he's talking about how American owners are hated more than petrol-state owners.

Unrelated, but I was in the UK for 2 weeks recently and it seems the UK generally has a very negative view of Americans.