Rooney's obsession with chipping the keeper

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He was pants today, he should have scored that with a simple shot not tried to be clever.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's been watching too many Raúl goal compilations. The first chip was ridiculous. Keeper was on his line. Second I thought was a good try but he should have scored with the chip.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Ok not definitely the best option, but when I saw the keeper that much off his line I thought it was definitely on.

Certainly wasn't one of his more audacious efforts, which come out of nowhere. A better day he would have scored.

Sylar

:lol: Its funny when he went through on the 90th minute, I knew he was going to do it as he fcuked up the one before.

Its weird cos I remember his first season with us, he used to go pretty darn close to the keeper than just dink it over him, or round him, or rocket it in. It seems whilst is overall play has improved (especially team work), some of his finishing choices have gone down.

wr8_utd

:'(
Needs to cut it out. It's fine when you're 3 or 4 goals but not at 1-0 when the keeper is on the line.

Welbeck looked pissed.

Justin

He's just trying to match his profile in FM "Likes to lob"

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's the sort of things I expect him to try when he's having a good match and is full of confidence but not today with his generally bad performance

Aporkalypse

He is perfectly capable of moving the ball out and putting it in the corner from that sort of position, going for the highlight reel I guess.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The second one fair enough, but he can feck off with trying a 30 yard chip when it's 1-0 and he has a team mate through on goal stood no more than 3 metres to his right. I mean seriously, grow up. Especially since he bollocked Gibson for doing something similar a year or so back.

championo

Top Stalker
Imagine if Nani did that...
Exactly, I wanted someone to give him an ear full. He does this and get away from it, at least I hope SAF lets him hear it. Two other chances that he had to just pass to Welbeck and he chose the most ridiculous things to do. Might probably think he is better than he is.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Needs to keep doing it, practice makes perfect. Frustrating when he doesn't pull it off (which is most of the time) but eventually he will be getting 20 goals a year from that. I hope.

Varun

Staff
The second one fair enough, but he can feck off with trying a 30 yard chip when it's 1-0 and he has a team mate through on goal stood no more than 3 metres to his right. I mean seriously, grow up. Especially since he bollocked Gibson for doing something similar a year or so back.
this for me as well.

the second one was okay, the 1st was horrible decision making.

Ekeke

It does annoy me when he keeps trying it during matches we arent particularly comfortable in. I mean I dont mind 1 attempt to stop the keeper taking liberties and stop him closing in quickly when balls are played through. I think thats the best reason to do it and a clever idea. And if we're comfortably ahead, maybe try another

But there are certain matches when Rooney seems to decide to spend most of his time trying to chip the keeper, no matter how the game is going.

Rahul

Rooney always takes a couple of games to get going after an injury. Its almost compulsory for him. He rarely comes flying out of the blocks.

But yes, needs to cut out the inappropriate stuff when a simple smash and grab would've been an easier solution.

Sylar

Rooney always takes a couple of games to get going after an injury. Its almost compulsory for him. He rarely comes flying out of the blocks.
Yep. I wasnt expecting him to have the best of best matches. He still got the all important first assist keeping the corner alive.

bsc

He should have a more bulldog spirit and get stuck in.

This 'Fancy Dan' stuff has no place in our game.

Rooney can feck off with his imagination and foreign style.

It just won't do.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Second one I can understand, although I still think he's got a better chance just shooting normally, but the first was ridiculous considering his options and the fact we needed another goal.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Has anyone else noticed how Rooney doesn't seem to like playing with Welbeck? He's completely different when he's playing with Hernandez, but with Welbeck he looks like he can't be bothered celebrating when he scores and he never wants to give him the ball or set him up unless he has to. It's rather annoying actually. Welbeck went and had a word with him after the match about that chance to put him through. I don't know if Rooney has a problem with Welbeck or not, but he needs to make more effort to link up with him as it could produce a great partnership.

wr8_utd

:'(
Has anyone else noticed how Rooney doesn't seem to like playing with Welbeck? He's completely different when he's playing with Hernandez, but with Welbeck he looks like he can't be bothered celebrating when he scores and he never wants to give him the ball or set him up unless he has to. It's rather annoying actually. Welbeck went and had a word with him after the match about that chance to put him through. I don't know if Rooney has a problem with Welbeck or not, but he needs to make more effort to link up with him as it could produce a great partnership.
Rooney's love for Hernandez is a bit weird but that doesn't mean he hates everyone else on the team!

Rooney Welbeck is a pretty good partnership.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Can't say I've noticed anything of the sort.

Rooney does love playing with Hernandez, but I'm sure he'll get used to playing with Welbeck as it looks like they'll be playing together a fair bit.

pocco

loco
Rooney's love for Hernandez is a bit weird but that doesn't mean he hates everyone else on the team!

Rooney Welbeck is a pretty good partnership.
I'm not sure, there's definitely something up with it. I suspect Rooney likes Hernandez because he's so down to earth. I'm not sure what Welbeck is like as a person though, so I can't speculate really. I've noticed this all season though buy didn't want to say anything until I saw others commenting on it today.

Another thing is he doesn't help Welbeck at all. There have been instances where Welbeck has possession and Rooney just starts walking as if to say he knows he'll lose it, dispite being in a position to offer help. Sometimes I actually question whether he doesn't want Welbeck to do well at the expense of Hernandez.

I could be completely way off with this, but everyone should look out for it as I'm sure there's something not right.

MDFC Manager

Somehow the greatest man manager in football has missed this lack of chemistry between Rooney and Welbeck :rolleyes:

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Yup, tries is too much.

Hasn't scored one since Portsmouth in the FA Cup? Which was literally one of the nicest goals I have seen scored.

I love a good chip. Gives me a nice feeling inside.

But Rooney should have smashed that shot in the corner.

One of these days he is gonna score a 40 yard chip and this thread will be bumped.

bsc

Jeez, Louise. The game was in the bag and he had the temerity to try something audacious.

Half the crowd would have been halfway up Warwick Rd and not noticed anyway.

Talk about talking football too serious and sucking the life out of the game. It's ludicrous this is even being discussed, never mind over-analysed.

Rooney missed a chip. WOW.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I'm not sure, there's definitely something up with it. I suspect Rooney likes Hernandez because he's so down to earth. I'm not sure what Welbeck is like as a person though, so I can't speculate really.

Sometimes I actually question whether he doesn't want Welbeck to do well at the expense of Hernandez.
That's completely mental.

I only caught the first 30 minutes but I thought he was good, involved in the play, set up a few counters as well.
Was watching the game on some Portuguese channel in the pub and at half-time it was flashing up some stats, said Rooney completed just 8 passes in the first half...I thought he was barely noticeable.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I'm not sure, there's definitely something up with it. I suspect Rooney likes Hernandez because he's so down to earth. I'm not sure what Welbeck is like as a person though, so I can't speculate really. I've noticed this all season though buy didn't want to say anything until I saw others commenting on it today.

Another thing is he doesn't help Welbeck at all. There have been instances where Welbeck has possession and Rooney just starts walking as if to say he knows he'll lose it, dispite being in a position to offer help. Sometimes I actually question whether he doesn't want Welbeck to do well at the expense of Hernandez.

I could be completely way off with this, but everyone should look out for it as I'm sure there's something not right.
:houllier::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

bsc

The game wasn't in the bag at 1-0.
I thought it was after Welbeck's goal. Sorry.

Doesn't take away from the general point I'm making. Overexuberance seems to gall some of our fanbase, as if it's a slap in the face.

Creativity should be welcomed, not chastised.

pocco

loco
:lol: to be fair, I'd laugh at a conspiracy theory like that. But I do find it odd how Rooney is a completely different player with Hernandez and Welbeck. He always looks for Hernandez when he's on the pitch but too many times he's refused to pass to Welbeck when he's the obvious option.

Does anyone recall any nice bits of link up play between Welbeck and Rooney? Am I just imagining this?