Ross Barkley... | Back to Villa?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Gallagher has played deeper, but are we not focusing on what they are currently doing at their clubs? If so, then Gallagher shouldn't be considered as an 8, as is the case with Bellingham
I don't think that should impact an international manager's thinking too much. If there was a tournament last summer, after Stones had spent the second half of the season playing in midfield for City, would that mean that Southgate couldn't possibly play him at CB? Of course not.

The same goes for Ward-Prowse. Whilst he's a massive threat on set pieces, there's nothing else in his game that I believe outdoes Barkley's
I get why you think that, however his exceptional crossing is not just limited to set pieces. If one of our midfielders was out wide and looking to swing in a cross onto Kane's head, I'd fancy Ward-Prowse over Barkley.

You mention that he's been playing well for several years but the squad isn't chosen based on that. It's chosen based on form (well, it should be), and if that's the case, as I said, no one has performed better than Barkley in that deep-lying position. Not only according to the eye, stats back that up, too.

In the end, it's all subjective, but I personally believe, if Southgate looks at it based on form, there's no way he can leave Barkley out. Having said that, I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Who I'd take:

Bellingham/Maddison
Rice/Mainoo - Barkley/Box to box
We'll see how Barkley (and others) perform up until the end of the season. If he maintains his good form, and Gallagher and Ward-Prowse have poor/average finishes to the season, then I'd be inclined to agree with you. However, part of me thinks this is just a purple patch and he will revert to type soon.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Wonder if this means they’re not interested in Conor Gallagher anymore.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ffs, I was hoping we would try and sign him. Understandable move due to CL football but can't see him being anything other than a squad option.

IrishRedDevil

Forgot he played for Villa before.

I've always liked him from his Everton days. You now the way there is just players that you... like, for some unknown reason.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Villa won't be pushing for top 4 again next season with CL football and also if they make more signings like this one. Barkley is below the level that Villa are surely pushing for.

saivet

How has he been with injuries recently, I seem to remember he had a lot of issues at one point didn’t he?
He's had a couple of niggles this season but been fit near enough throughout. 32 PL appearances this season and played the full 90 in the majority of them.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just because Eriksen might not be up to it anymore isn't an excuse to bring in Barkley.
Barkley as a squad player for Mainoo would be a good option. You have to make smart, free signings now and then. Not every signing is a star or a starter, but you need your depth to be versatile and be able to come in without changing systems too much.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Barkley as a squad player for Mainoo would be a good option. You have to make smart, free signings now and then. Not every signing is a star or a starter, but you need your depth to be versatile and be able to come in without changing systems too much.
No he wouldn't. How about targeting better players than someone like Barkley just because he is a free agent.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I remember the caf telling me Tielemans was rubbish and not a good deal on a free, morons
Tielemans was 26 at the time so would have made sense but still a risk as his team just got relegated. Barkley is 31 and just got relegated. Tielemans is better than Barkley and not the wrong side of 30.

Nero

An average player on a free is still an average player. We've got plenty of average in our squad already.

Cantonagotmehere

He impressed me a lot this year. I for sure would have gone for him as a squad player. Not sure what we will end up with this transfer season but it does not seem like there can be a ton of money spent. Barkley on free would have worked for me.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
What a strange transfer. Do they need english players for UEFA roster rules or something?

bitcoin

Glad he's gone to Villa. Means we won't be in for him.

He's 30, and I would rather that we give minutes to young squad players with the intention of making them into first team regulars over time.

tomaldinho1

Tielemans was 26 at the time so would have made sense but still a risk as his team just got relegated. Barkley is 31 and just got relegated. Tielemans is better than Barkley and not the wrong side of 30.
I'm not fussed on Barkley to be honest because of his age. Tielemans was such a no brainer though, we just never make sensible transfer.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No he wouldn't. How about targeting better players than someone like Barkley just because he is a free agent.
The alternative is likely signing nobody (for that role) and relying on Mount to be depth for Mainoo and Bruno, which is likely what will happen.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Villa won't be pushing for top 4 again next season with CL football and also if they make more signings like this one. Barkley is below the level that Villa are surely pushing for.
They've got a lot of young midfielders that they will be bringing through. They also know him from his time at the club. This is an extremely sensible signing from them on a free.

FujiVice

Ross Barkley playing himself back into a big club by sinking down and building himself to a good level is rarely seen in the modern game. He's gotten big money from the heavy spending Everton years and Chelsea. I expected him to do a Jack Rodwell and just chill until he retired. Good on the lad.

SungSam7

Would it be crazy to think we could offer this guy a small but decent salary to help get some quality on the bench for peanuts?

We are going to need players to help throughout next season and if we have to go into another with a fecked Mount and someone else with no cover, it will be a disaster.

Doracle

I thought this was a no-brainer for United with our current midfield problems. Adds depth at minimal cost. The difference between having Barkley to come on rather than McT would be immense.

caid

Sure, that's the big if. I do think Barkley is a more natural in deeper areas than Mount though.
I think we need a player closer to amrabat than mount. A more attack minded 8 is relatively well stocked i'd say. It might have made sense if we'd sold mctominay but he's got that midfield injury crisis spot locked down in the mean time imo.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Would it be crazy to think we could offer this guy a small but decent salary to help get some quality on the bench for peanuts?

We are going to need players to help throughout next season and if we have to go into another with a fecked Mount and someone else with no cover, it will be a disaster.
Yes, it would be crazy. We should be going for younger, better players

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Sure, that's the big if. I do think Barkley is a more natural in deeper areas than Mount though.
Barkley's injury record isn't great either, and he is not good central midfielder at all, he was always more attacking type. He was always moments player too.

Would fit well with Ten Hag's football.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I feel like he has benefitted from being the main man and having fast, direct football played through him.

He never thrived in a squad or when he was asked to do specific roles.

I don’t think Villa is a good move for him. He will be in and out of the team and Emery tends to overcomplicate things tactically. I feel like he will get lost in the shuffle.