Roy Keane the pundit

padzilla

Hipster
Sure Keane's dad in Cork Maurice Keane had the nickname Mossy after the Irish rugby player, Mossy Keane. When Roy became famous everyone started calling him 'Sterling' Moss because he was sending home so much money to his family. Might be a grumpy person in public but Roy's work with charities is well-documented and those close to him have nothing bad to say about the man.

Bestietom

Keane does a lot for charity still. People don't like his tough guy image, but it's his way. He was a fantastic captain for us so we should not forget this.

SER19

Sure Keane's dad in Cork Maurice Keane had the nickname Mossy after the Irish rugby player, Mossy Keane. When Roy became famous everyone started calling him 'Sterling' Moss because he was sending home so much money to his family. Might be a grumpy person in public but Roy's work with charities is well-documented and those close to him have nothing bad to say about the man.
Keane has a fantastic sense of humour and is by many accounts a real gent away from the pitch. He’s made the mistake of being the first naysayer most of the uk saw after the bubble burst, and will likely not be forgiven for not speaking about the team like they had just come home from the Normandy beaches. I’m sure he cares.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Nice pic and a lesson there for those looking to get outraged on Keanes behalf. The man himself would probably tell you to get a grip.

Keane has a fantastic sense of humour and is by many accounts a real gent away from the pitch. He’s made the mistake of being the first naysayer most of the uk saw after the bubble burst, and will likely not be forgiven for not speaking about the team like they had just come home from the Normandy beaches. I’m sure he cares.
You need to seriously ditch these sweeping generalisations about the UK. Roy lIves in the UK and will continue to be in high demand as a pundit because people like him and the frisson he brings to the studio. Stop making things up.

As for disrespectful comments regarding Dunkirk you can fecking leave that out too. 60000 of the BEF were killed in France and Belgium and plenty of them were Irish remember.

Wind it in ffs.

Ananke

Casual racism ffs...

You think the English don’t get their accent mocked ‘cuppa tea laddie?’ etc by other nations?
No one cries racism, get a god damn grip you pansies. It was childish mid argument and nothing more.

Green_Red

Sometimes its easy to forget its just a game and its just a mans opinion.

Fluctuation0161

I couldn't agree more with your post. Wright got away with it but it was still casual racism which went unchecked. There is no question that the Irish are loved and well-treated by an overwhelming majority of English people, Wright's behaviour was the classic example of someone with limited intelligence resorting to bullying or belittling the person they are arguing with because they feel cornered and don't have anything intelligent to say.
Agreed. Was out of order by Wright and I also didn't agree with Keanes comments and found his timing very cynical.

SER19

Nice pic and a lesson there for those looking to get outraged on Keanes behalf. The man himself would probably tell you to get a grip.

You need to seriously ditch these sweeping generalisations about the UK. Roy lIves in the UK and will continue to be in high demand as a pundit because people like him and the frisson he brings to the studio. Stop making things up.

As for disrespectful comments regarding Dunkirk you can fecking leave that out too. 60000 of the BEF were killed in France and Belgium and plenty of them were Irish remember.

Wind it in ffs.
I dont believe i made a disrespectful comment about dunkirk, sorry youve interpreted as such. I have used those involved as the symbol, the pinnacle of heroism. The somewhat lazy comparison between teams travelling abroad and 'troops' and those returning as 'heroes' or teams 'preparing to do battle' has been around for a long time. Ive applied it here when discussing keaness tempered response to pundits who seemed, possibly understandably, a little overwhelmed with patriotism in recent weeks and hyperbolic in their praise. I never imagined it would offend.

I also havent made a generalisation about the uk, there were literally thousands of people slating him often venomously, including high profile public figures, for sharing his tame opinion. Its not a generalisation to comment on blatant evidence of how many people reacted. Im commenting specifically on a portion of people who did react a certain way, try not to see agenda or a broader point in every sentence or youll likely be offended at every turn. Theres certainly no agenda at play where im concerned.

Last edited:

Zoo

Will be interesting but unfortunately he is going to blame the players and stick up for Mourinho.

lsd

The Oracle
Cue city fans saying Sky pandering to Utd even tough Souness,Carragher and Rednal will be there .

Still waiting for Sky to have Stormzy on for the derby too after Noel Gallagher last year

Minimalist

Will be interesting but unfortunately he is going to blame the players and stick up for Mourinho.
Wouldn't surprise me given his contrarian nature but then again he hates Mourinho.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Should be a good watch. He would have no bother speaking his mind to the scouse panel

poleglass red

Carragher and Souness will certainly not talk down to Keano like they do to Gary Nev. Roy will have no problem criticising us if he sees fit, but he'll take none of that shite Souness spouts when he's talking about Utd.

Sterling Archer

Prepare your anus
Amazon primed three Pepto bismals.

Was also imagining Roy Keane just punching everyone in our team in the face, Jose and Ed included...might that be enough for the circus to shut down and things to get on track?

Bocca9978

Will be good to see him clash with Souness. Even though they will agree with each other about how shite we are.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Has he stunk up for Moirinho earlier in the season?

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Can we also have him give the team a pep talk before the game?
I can imagine it starting really well and then getting really personal and vicious towards the end

Don't get me wrong, he loves the club but, let's just say, I'd put money on him winning in a 2 on 1 handicap match vs Pogba and Lingard.

Phil Jones would try to break it up but, end up headbutting both Pogba and Lingard, almost like some sort of wrestling heel turn, when in reality, he's just a f**king useless cnut

RedDevil@84

I can imagine it starting really well and then getting really personal and vicious towards the end

Don't get me wrong, he loves the club but, let's just say, I'd put money on him winning in a 2 on 1 handicap match vs Pogba and Lingard.

Phil Jones would try to break it up but, end up headbutting both Pogba and Lingard, almost like some sort of wrestling heel turn, when in reality, he's just a f**king useless cnut
:lol:

Zoo

Has he stunk up for Moirinho earlier in the season?
He quite often defended him when doing Champions League punditry for ITV last season. This season when asked about United he said that players are crybabies and should perform whether they have a good relationship with the manager or not.

Minimalist

He quite often defended him when doing Champions League punditry for ITV last season. This season when asked about United he said that players are crybabies and should perform whether they have a good relationship with the manager or not.
Must have changed his tune pretty sharpish from the season before:

Hardly a minor criticism either - basically says the man talks out of his arse.

johanovic

I like Keane as he calls things as he sees them and even though I know it´s never going to happen I would love to see him as part of the coaching staff at United. Who better to be the "bad cop" and keep them on their toes?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Don't get how anyone can want someone like Keane to have any kind of decision-making authority in the club he supports. Guys like him simply give easy answers to complex questions and the folks love him for it. This won't make his opinions correct, though. One solution fits all-type of thinking. The team doesn't perform? The players should man up. The team plays good but fails to convert their goal scoring chances? The players should man up. Star players want to leave or demand higher salaries? The players should man up. Too many injuries? The players should man up. Unlucky referee decisions? The players should man up.

The exact opposite to the school of thought of people like Pep, Klopp or Sarri.

johanovic

Don't get how anyone can want someone like Keane to have any kind of decision-making authority in the club he supports. Guys like him simply give easy answers to complex questions and the folks love him for it. This won't make his opinions correct, though. One solution fits all-type of thinking. The team doesn't perform? The players should man up. The team plays good but fails to convert their goal scoring chances? The players should man up. Star players want to leave or demand higher salaries? The players should man up. Too many injuries? The players should man up. Unlucky referee decisions? The players should man up.

Perhaps I am sick and tired of listening to excuses from Mourinho and his followers blaiming everything but the man in control. Football is in many ways a simple game. United lack in many basic aspects like they are running less that most teams, taking fewer sprints than most teams and we do not have a set game plan plus many of the players do not seem to be trying. My dream team for United would be Eddie Howe+Carrick+McKenna+a proven DOF. I would not be against having Keane as part to the coaching team because I belive a little Yin and Yang would be good but I know Keane will never be a coach at Old Trafford. But even though I do not like Mourinho and his methods I really dislike when players are behaving like they do not care as true of some of them. I agree with you that going for a manager in similar mould as Klopp and co and I think Eddie Howe could be that mangaer for us.

johanovic

Keane is brutally Honest. No politics.
Why I love the man and why he will never be a successful manager.
he would even have difficulty being part of a coaching team. He cannot hold back.
Yeah you are probably right but he made sure during his time as captain (until the bitter end) that a certain standard was to be kept and no bullshit allowed as Fergie stated. I guess I miss the time when you could count on a Man Utd team leaving everything on the field in terms of commitment and effort despite not always having the best game in a technical sense. As much as I blame Mourinho for the state we are in I expect a good professional playing for a club of Man Utd stature doing the basic things like run your socks off, show some spirit and fight as part of their professional pride. Some of those players just do not seem to be giving their all and for me that can never be accepted.

Theonas

Scout

Great post! Keane's limitations as a coach are not that he is too honest. It is that he refuses to engage in any form of analysis beyond the obvious clichés. His vision of the game did not progress beyond the "buy well + try hard and be tough" motto that many of his era subscribe to which makes his analysis admittedly funny for its brutality but ultimately uninteresting.