Roy Keane

Red & White

Well done for calling out the VVD arrogance, Keano! Spot on. Doesn’t always talk fondly of us, as we’ve been well below par for a long time, but great to see him stand up for United then.

Jev

So he was being arrogant then
Sure he was, he was obviously trying to be provocative. I still think what he said was largely true. We started the game with a very defensive mindset and I think it’s reasonable to assume we came for a point (and obviously hoped for a win), and then grew in confidence during a very decent second-half. Anyway, didn’t expect it to be a popular viewpoint and we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Zen

Sure he was, he was obviously trying to be provocative. I still think what he said was largely true. We started the game with a very defensive mindset and I think it’s reasonable to assume we came for a point (and obviously hoped for a win), and then grew in confidence during a very decent second-half.
Absolutely no one is denying this though.

Zen86

van dijk is always an absolute tool, and he was fuming at united and having a petty shot at them. I swear, this forum sometimes feels like an outlet for people who support united but hate supporting them. Keane is 100% correct
He’s just another faux scouser who panders to their fans and pretends to be one of them. And the idiots lap it up and ask for seconds.

Coxy

Well done for calling out the VVD arrogance, Keano! Spot on. Doesn’t always talk fondly of us, as we’ve been well below par for a long time, but great to see him stand up for United then.
Personally wouldn’t say he ‘doesn’t speak fondly of us’.

I’d say instead he is honest about the current state of play at the club and his feelings towards how he was treated.

SER19

He’s just another faux scouser who panders to their fans and pretends to be one of them. And the idiots lap it up and ask for seconds.
So true. it seems unique to liverpool that their foreign players and managers come in and do this to this degree.

Rockets Redglare

Sure he was, he was obviously trying to be provocative. I still think what he said was largely true. We started the game with a very defensive mindset and I think it’s reasonable to assume we came for a point (and obviously hoped for a win), and then grew in confidence during a very decent second-half. Anyway, didn’t expect it to be a popular viewpoint and we’ll just have to agree to disagree.
Setting up like that was the only way we were getting anything today. We’ve had nothing but abject misery at Anfield for years, and if Ten Hag had us playing any other way with the squad he could select we’d have ended up on the end of another hiding.

Van Dijk has always been an arrogant tosser, and I’m glad Roy responded to his nonsense.

Red & White

Personally wouldn’t say he ‘doesn’t speak fondly of us’.

I’d say instead he is honest about the current state of play at the club and his feelings towards how he was treated.
Yes, this is what I was trying to convey but perhaps not worded clearly. He is correct in not speaking fondly of us due to the lack of quality and desire that should be on show when playing for United.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So every team that isn’t good enough to dominate the ball doesn’t want to win. It’s such a warped perspective I’m not sure where to begin to pull it apart from. To put it simply, teams that set up defensively do so because they feel that’s the most likely method for them to win the game.

Also IF what VVD is correct - it isn’t, you’re giving him far too much credit - then what Keane said about arrogance and 1 league title in 30 years is definitely true.

Mingus

When teams do this to us we are usually described as poor, while the team keeping us out are lauded for a "brilliant" performance.

Mike Smalling

It’s the Klopp special from VVD. If other teams decide to play to their own strengths to get the best possible result, they get rattled. It’s so small time.

KD6-3.7

VVD has always been a massive sore loser just like Klopp.

Roy Keane is absolutely right and we still have finished above them in 3 of the last seasons despite being an incompetently run club. And liverpools only title in the last two decades was the covid season playing in empty stadiums.

Last edited:

eire-red

I genuinely don't think any top manager goes into a game with a plan and a team that they don't believe can win the game.

If Hojlund slots that between Alisson's legs, it's the perfect away performance. I think the notion of "playing for the draw" is nonsense. Like, do you really think these managers are where they are in their careers by not believing what they are doing can win every game?

Tyrion

United had opportunities to counter, they just did it badly. That's not a lack of ambition, it's bad execution. We did keep playing it out from the back despite the risks. That seems to qualify as "going for it".

disagree. It definitely looked like United was far happier with the point than Liverpool.
That is be true because we're competing for top 4 and they're competing for the title and the fame was at Anfield. A point for us is better than a point for them. That doesn't mean they deserved to win though.

David De Gea

I've been thinking about this recently. I think the big difference between United now and Liverpool all through the 90's and most of the 00's is that we know we're shite. We want better from our club, owners, players etc but we know we're shite. We aren't under some illusion we are still the best team based on what we done a decade ago, thinking we're still the best. Constantly harping on about 99 and 08. Yeah we can look back at those years fondly but we don't continously smear it in the face of rivals like Liverpool fans (in my vicinity) did through all their barren years.

Absolutely brilliant of Keane to put it out like that; one title in 30 years is keek no matter how you look at it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I've been thinking about this recently. I think the big difference between United now and Liverpool all through the 90's and most of the 00's is that we know we're shite. We want better from our club, owners, players etc but we know we're shite. We aren't under some illusion we are still the best team based on what we done a decade ago, thinking we're still the best. Constantly harping on about 99 and 08. Yeah we can look back at those years fondly but we don't continously smear it in the face of rivals like Liverpool fans (in my vicinity) did through all their barren years.

Absolutely brilliant of Keane to put it out like that; one title in 30 years is keek no matter how you look at it.
I slightly wish we were as delusional as Pool fans were for many years. The main difference though is that we were the dominant force whereas Liverpool have been massively toppled by City in their recent period of better success. Wouldn’t think that from the way their players talk. Finished comfortably below us last year and playing in the Europa but talking as though they’re THE scalp around.

C'est Moi Cantona

I said as I was watching the match when they had an early corner and he was doing some weird facial expressions and body movements that he looked like an arrogant prick, then he goes and talks like one, so Roy was just saying it as it is.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I said as I was watching the match when they had an early corner and he was doing some weird facial expressions and body movements that he looked like an arrogant prick, then he goes and talks like one, so Roy was just saying it as it is.
That was strange, like mocking out players. Seems a big cnut

Lux Thunder

I think he was spot on. I’m in general fed up with people trashing United and I’m first to remind my friends that Liverpool won one title in 30 years and Arsenal haven’t won it for 20 years. Our club isn’t the best place at the moment, it’s true, but it’s surely the biggest schadenfreude effect in sports practice.

Wiesenlooser

Supports
Bayern Munich
What are you disagreeing with? Of course United are far happier with the point. No one is suggesting otherwise.
Please look what post I am quoting. the person reacted to someone else saying what VVD said was largely true (including who was happier with the draw).
Then the user responded: It wasn't (true).

I just said what VVD was largely correct.

Did Liverpool deserve the win? I'd argue more than United, but the draw was pretty justified. Good defending by United

Okey

I'm surprised there's some United fans that didn't appreciate what Keane said. I've only read it on here and I was smiling. I now need to see the clip so you get the bonus of hearing him say it himself with his lovely Irish accent.
Selah! Love me my Keano always (almost).

Denis79

I'm surprised there's some United fans that didn't appreciate what Keane said. I've only read it on here and I was smiling. I now need to see the clip so you get the bonus of hearing him say it himself with his lovely Irish accent.
They aren't United fans if they are siding with that Liverpool cnut.

Real Name

Sorry but that’s just objectively wrong.

They had 34 shots to our six, eight on target with one for us, 69 percent ball-possession, and 12 corners to our zero. An xG of 2.3 to our 0.6.

It was a positive performance from us but Liverpool absolutely deserved to win.
Ah the famous xG. Always love it when people 'watch' games through xG instead of actually watching the game.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Great from Keano!
Fantastic reply to 'arrogant' VVD.
Love him! :D

Ludens the Red

Yeah Van Dijk was definitely trying to be derogatory. Not sure why Sturridge and Dave were trying to make out he wasn’t. Van dijk is arrogant in general. I think Keane is from the era of looking at yourself rather than trying to deflect and take cheap shots at the opposition.