Roy Keane

Guapa

Keano spot on as usual.The day we replace Bruno is the day this team turns a corner.Tough because I do like him it's just he's too inconsistent to rely on and that's what we need going forward.World class more often than not,not one out of ten passes finding their target.Sorry Bruno i do rate you but this club needs to build for the futrue without you.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is right. He has a lack of discipline even on the ball. Heroball after heroball.

bosskeano

why do you think our midfield is always so wide open to play thru???? b/c too often we are playing 2v3 as Bruno has gone for a walk about

it's not like the City system where they press in a 442 with KdB pressing up to the forward role...they are versed in that

United isn't set up that way but Bruno does it constantly....ffs just watch the matches

BristolMick

Agree with what Keane is saying but I do think he is more disciplined when playing for Portugal.

I think part of the problem is the lack of talent we have at the top end of the pitch and an element of Bruno trying to take matters into his own hands and force things to happen.

Glorio

Keano is right, but I 100% blame the managers. Do they even pick him up on it? And is there a consequence?

As has been said on this thread, he's definitely disciplined when playing for Portugal (which is where I disagree with Keano).

Red00012

" Going into battle" that's how he saw it. Gotta love it really.
Loved seeing him in the tunnel pre game . Staring straight ahead thinking of the game . He couldn’t give a feck who was lining up alongside him, his mind was elsewhere . Nowadays you’re more likely to see opposition players hug and kiss each other and share a little joke amongst each other.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I love Keano, but I feel he's a little over exposed with all the content of him the past year or two. When the Off the Ball thing first came out with him, and he was first appearing on Sky, I was absolutely glued to every bit of media that came out with him. Kinda feels like he's said all he has to say, told all his stories now.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
As others have said, he's right but I suspect he's doing as he's asked a we would be completely toothless if he wasn't trying things. Even now we get a fraction of output from him compared to what he's capable of, but him being moved all over the pitch probably doesn't help.

Zoo

Loved him as a player but he's just an attention seeking cock these days.
Typical rent-a-quote Roy. Goes after whoever his target his without any balance. Did it to Hojlund at before the game on the weekend then had dial it back at halftime.

iHicksy

I would be interested to see how Bruno plays when he has others around him that can play possession based football.
I mean, have you ever watched a Portugal game? He's exactly the same, maybe worse. Playing alongside the likes of Dias, Neves, Jota, Ronaldo, Silva, Joa Felix, cancelo etc. All incredibly technical players.

He doesn't suddenly become world class when surrounded by better players.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I mean, have you ever watched a Portugal game? He's exactly the same, maybe worse. Playing alongside the likes of Dias, Neves, Jota, Ronaldo, Silva, Joa Felix, cancelo etc. All incredibly technical players.

Yes I’ve watched loads of Portugal the last few years and Bruno is easily one of their best players. He’s been better than players like Bernardo Silva for example for Portugal. Massively underrated by Utd fans but I get it because we are horrific and no players can really shine in this cluster feck of a team.

Pearson

I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Keano is my hero of Greek myth level.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I said it before we signed him having watched him at Sporting. He was an okay stop gap to get away from Lingard and Pereira as our 10s, but his carelessness in possession alongside being easy to press would always prevent us from being a team that could play top level dominating football.

Problem is, we turned him into the face of the club.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There, finally Keane speaking the unspoken about Bruno (in public manner).

Pronewbie

Peep
Thing is, Bruno is able to do the basics well especially when asked to. I recall the game Carrick dropped him as caretaker in the CL and he came on when were behind (against Atalanta?) in the last 20mins and tore it up playing simple and effective football.

He's just prone to playing like a nutter when the pressure's really high (against big clubs or when paired with the likes of McT).

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I do think we should consider moving Bruno on, providing we get a good offer, but ETH does obviously take some of the blame in how he utilises him and how he's given him carte blanche to do anything.
Anyway, ETH won't be here next year.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I kind of feel like Bruno is a 'luxury' player and you can't really afford them in modern football at the top.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I kind of feel like Bruno is a 'luxury' player and you can't really afford them in modern football at the top.
Tbh, I don't think a luxury player would make it at a major top club ( competing for the big trophies ) during any period.

Coutinho, Veron, Stefano Fiore instantly spring to mind.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Tbh, I don't think a luxury player would make it at a major top club ( competing for the big trophies ) during any period.

Coutinho, Veron, Stefano Fiore instantly spring to mind.
Tbf to both of us Coutinho, Mata and Rodriguez all won trophies for their respective clubs (Madrid, Barca, Chelsea etc. at the time) but I think PL football and the turn of the decade has stepped up to a level of intensity where you need that '10' to do a bit more unless you're playing Ange-ball with a squad full of runners/elite athletes at prime fitness levels.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
As others have said, he's right but I suspect he's doing as he's asked a we would be completely toothless if he wasn't trying things. Even now we get a fraction of output from him compared to what he's capable of, but him being moved all over the pitch probably doesn't help.
On the ball I would agree. But him running around all over the place off the ball? I can't imagine that is really what he is asked to do. It rarely really helps and sometimes even makes things worse by giving away stupid free kicks (prime example Galatasaray, who scored twice after Bruno committing a foul in an area where I would not expect an AM to be in).

Yes I’ve watched loads of Portugal the last few years and Bruno is easily one of their best players. He’s been better than players like Bernardo Silva for example for Portugal. Massively underrated by Utd fans but I get it because we are horrific and no players can really shine in this cluster feck of a team.
I don't think he is underrated. He doesn't seem to half the right state of mind under pressure when asked to lead a team. That's a skill and talent in itself (and it fits that we have this point in a Keane thread who was excellent in this regard). For Portugal he can mostly focus on playing a clear role and contributing what he can do. Though I agree that this is also caused by United's dysfunctional team, he would look better (and would be rated higher) if he wasn't made the main man of the team.

sugar_kane

It's absurd to talk about Bruno leaving the midfield wide open without mentioning McTominay who is the main cause of our woes in this area.

With two other fully functioning midfielders, Bruno is able to play a freer role (which is where he thrives and where the team gets the most out of him) the problem is we either don't have those players available or our manager thinks it's a class idea to play two midfielders with no positional discipline whatsoever.

To blame just Bruno for this seems daft, and I think Keano knows this deep down, but for whatever reason Bruno is the player everyone loves to hate.

He's absolutely spot on about the discipline aspect though, and keeping a cool head. This is a big problem for the team when our captain behaves like this. Yes show fighting spirit, chase the ball down, go in hard on a tackle or whatever to rally the team and the fans but not at the expense of leaving us wide open and vulnerable constantly. Oh also, he needs to learn to fecking calm the game down or grind out a win (or even a draw) once in a while rather than constantly going gung ho.

The Pogba comparison is apt, very different players and personalities but immense talents that we should have gotten more out of by building the team around them instead of accentuating their weaknesses.

The Urban Goose

Keane is right about Bruno, but I don't know how they had that discussion without also mentioning Rashford.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He is not a luxury player, he is a hard working player fit for a team on the fringes. He'd be excellent for a 6th to 8th placed team as he can create chances but he doesn't have finesse on the ball that you require from a number 10 at a team looking to win big trophies. He is not press-resistant, can't dribble and constantly plays low percentage balls. There is nothing luxury about that.

I think that was exactly our assessment for him too when we looked at him the window before we singed him. Then for some reason we went back in again in January and got him for a fee higher than he was available for in the summer in typical Manchester United fashion.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He's spot on. But Ten Hag is emphasising it with the ridiculous system that we play.

You could get away with Bruno hero ball if we had a solid midfield base in a 4-2-3-1 instead of this crazy 4-1-5 formation.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He is not a luxury player, he is a hard working player fit for a team on the fringes. He'd be excellent for a 6th to 8th placed team as he can create chances but he doesn't have finesse on the ball that you require from a number 10 at a team looking to win big trophies. He is not press-resistant, can't dribble and constantly plays low percentage balls. There is nothing luxury about that.

I think that was exactly our assessment for him too when we looked at him the window before we singed him. Then for some reason we went back in again in January and got him for a fee higher than he was available for in the summer in typical Manchester United fashion.
I think his 'hard work' is a detriment though which is weird to say as it's not entirely his fault but more a fault of the squad you have assembled. You want a player like Bruno just floating in that final third and playing those high risk strategy plays with the security and energy behind and around him to ensure that you can cover for it and take advantage of it but you don't so it's more often than not either a detriment to have him there or he will pop up with a moment of brilliance which overshadows sub-par performances. It weirdly becomes a viscous cycle of player carrying club and vice versa.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's spot on. But Ten Hag is emphasising it with the ridiculous system that we play.

You could get away with Bruno hero ball if we had a solid midfield base in a 4-2-3-1 instead of this crazy 4-1-5 formation.
Agreed. If we had a solid and structured base in midfield it would be less of a worry. There's many issues in midfield, Bruno being a bit of a lunatic is just one of them.

Herman Toothrot

Right or wrong, it's down to the manager. If he's allowing him to be chaotic, that's on him. If he's not allowing him to be chaotic and he's still doing it, that's on him. He made him captain and picks him for every match.

He's still, by a mile, our best player and the fact he's running into the spaces Scott McTominay is playing in, and that Kobbie Mainoo is left to shield the defence by himself are bigger problems.

Lewnited

Agreed, I've been a critic of Bruno's performances for a good cpuple of years at this point, but EtH is actively setting him up to harm the team

Maticmaker

Agreed, I've been a critic of Bruno's performances for a good cpuple of years at this point, but EtH is actively setting him up to harm the team
Is he though? I am never sure what is being asked of Bruno, except to run around, often chasing lost causes e.g. pressing on his own! I'd love to know what pre-match instructions ETH gives Bruno, is there a general or standing brief such as to "do what you can, when you can, look up field for the movement in front and react; looking back, try to see/anticipate where the gaps are and get yourself back there. Specific briefs such as "take all the free kicks in the final third, unless occurring between the posts then let Rashford have a go, all the corners, unless Shaw is on the field. Approach the refs in the Ashley Young way, i.e. drop little messages in their ear, don't front them up, or scream at them."

How much faith does ETH have in Bruno to 'pick the right moment' or to whisper in the ear of players who are not performing. I suppose we will never know... don't even think ETH or Bruno know either!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thing is, Bruno is able to do the basics well especially when asked to. I recall the game Carrick dropped him as caretaker in the CL and he came on when were behind (against Atalanta?) in the last 20mins and tore it up playing simple and effective football.

He's just prone to playing like a nutter when the pressure's really high (against big clubs or when paired with the likes of McT).
I'm pretty confident if Bruno was reigned in by a manager/given specific instructions he would follow them pretty well. His current approach to the game is dictated by our oveall (non) style of football.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Ex-United player saying something stupid shocker :rolleyes: Bruno is for sure a hard worker and the fact that he's practically never been injured in his career shows that he's a top professional off the pitch as well. It's not just luck and genetics. Criticising Bruno for poor discipline is about as silly as criticising him for poor chance creation.

Glorio

I've watched loads - and he is a lot more disciplined

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Ex-United player saying something stupid shocker :rolleyes: Bruno is for sure a hard worker and the fact that he's practically never been injured in his career shows that he's a top professional off the pitch as well. It's not just luck and genetics. Criticising Bruno for poor discipline is about as silly as criticising him for poor chance creation.
Nobody called Bruno lazy, the point is he is working hard but stupid. Either he is not following orders or he is just given bad ones. Probably a bit of both.