Roy Keane's visit to Carrington

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Jesus you talk some absolute bollox dont you. Every player he played with have said he was the best player on the pitch every week. Get your head out of your arse.

Pretty sure youve blocked me. But we all know if you cant say keano was a seriously good footballer then you have some other issue/agenda with him amd seeing some of your other posts over the last few years we all know what that is too.
I'm not that precious that i'd block anybody, or even report anybody, counting to ten is usually good enough for me.

Not rising to that.

Suedesi

Any united fan that calls out giggs or Keane is a disgrace, one that does both should be banned.

Throw in calling Pogba a hero and I’ll go for lynching
No player should be called a hero in the first place. You're playing football FFS, not fighting Nazis in freezing winter in Stalingrad/Volgograd.

James Ward

Roy Keane would be the first name on my all time premier league 11 team, he was a sensational player. Pity there isn't more like him today.

fergiesarmy1

No player should be called a hero in the first place. You're playing football FFS, not fighting Nazis in freezing winter in Stalingrad/Volgograd.
That’s a different argument mate, if we’re sticking to sport I’m right.

Class of 63

Sourness
No player would've lasted at United had he been a shrinking violet (see Di Maria for starters). To belittle Keano the way you do is ridiculous, though. His technique, passing, anticipation and tackling were all absolutely top-notch. He was even a decent finisher when needed.
I've gone too far belittling Roy Keane, hands up on that, but I shouldn't have to defend my right to be of the opinion(an opinion probably shared by most who saw both) that Robbo was far superior a player, what they are like as individuals doesn't come into it. I can separate the two.

Suedesi

That’s a different argument mate, if we’re sticking to sport I’m right.
Sorry it's a pet peeve of mine, that seems to have become ubiquitous on live commentary these days. Arlo White is particularly guilty of "X player with a heroic tackle" about 10 times a match.

diarm

From Dublin, now there's a surprise!

I've had folk on here who have called me all the names under the Sun for believing Robbo was a far superior footballer to Keano in previous debates on the topic, and weirdly most were born after Robbo stopped playing which is/was friggin bizarre.

Apologies to one and all for having a fecking opinion.
I only live in Dublin - most people up here wouldn't have much time for Keano.

Thinking Robbo was a better player is an opinion but your criticism of Keane being nothing but a bruiser was patently bollocks.

simplyared

Robbo did it on the world-stage with England as well but he never really got the media attention on the continent he shouldve done, Keane was just a bruiser who ran around a lot shouting at far superior footballers(Beckham, Scholes et al), and didn't really do anything of note for his country, rant at Big Mick apart.

Voted 6th in one season doesn't make him one of, or @classthe best, which is what I originally replied to.

Robbo was a piss can, as were most of that generation and he openly admits that, Roy was a family man who'd prefer to go home and try and out-stare his dog.
Robbo did it on the world-stage with England as well but he never really got the media attention on the continent he shouldve done, Keane was just a bruiser who ran around a lot shouting at far superior footballers(Beckham, Scholes et al), and didn't really do anything of note for his country, rant at Big Mick apart.

Voted 6th in one season doesn't make him one of, or the best, which is what I originally replied to.

Robbo was a piss can, as were most of that generation and he openly admits that, Roy was a family man who'd prefer to go home and try and out-stare his dog.
@Class of 63. Your name suggests you have followed utd about as long as I have. I like a lot of your posts but with all respect your comments on Roy Keane?? I've watched utd since the 60's, was priveleged enough to have witnessed that magical moment at Wembley 68, have seen a long line of players come and go, but Roy Keane. The best box to box midfielder to have graced the Old trafford turf. Never have we had a player who could drive the ball forward as he could. It's ok if you think Robson was better but leave Keano alone! A true legend and a fantastic footballer!

Class of 63

Sourness
@Class of 63. Your name suggests you have followed utd about as long as I have. I like a lot of your posts but with all respect your comments on Roy Keane?? I've watched utd since the 60's, was priveleged enough to have witnessed that magical moment at Wembley 68, have seen a long line of players come and go, but Roy Keane. The best box to box midfielder to have graced the Old trafford turf. Never have we had a player who could drive the ball forward as he could. It's ok if you think Robson was better but leave Keano alone! A true legend and a fantastic footballer!
I've tried but probably failed miserably to explain in previous post why I posted what I have in this thread, but yeah great player, even better Captain, i'm not a celebrity, get me outta here!

Falcow

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone saying that Robbo was the better player but to say that he was far superior is nonsense, he was arguably better, that's about it. Keane probably better defensively and Robbo attacking though each could do both very well.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Keano was incredibly gifted. He always had space, his balance, vision, defensive and attacking skills. And he had balls. He was right about the Rock of Gibraltar and he was right about John Delaney

OL29

Any united fan that calls out giggs or Keane is a disgrace, one that does both should be banned.

Only one of those had an affair with their brother’s wife. Say what you want about Pogba but given what we know, he’s a better person than Ryan Giggs. Some things are bigger than football.

AFC NimbleThumb

My emotions on the overuse of the term lynching on this site run deeper than my feelings for any football player in history.

People must do better, the word has no place on this forum.

diarm

Sorry @diarm. I seriously overstepped the mark there, no offence intended.
I'll let it go this once. I'm up here because there are more of them and they pay me to eat my food.
Just kidding. I actually enjoy living here far more than I thought I would.

led_scholes

You can't forgive a player for a bad performance? I mean I get the red card, but seriously.
I guess i should have written "forgive". Keane gave everything to United. Of course i can "forgive" not one, but multiple bad performances.

marktan

I was too young to actually watch Keane properly live but I take his opinion with the pinchiest of pinches of salt, he gets jobs by talking shite and in general is not the sort of person to have around for anything remotely productive any more.

RUCK4444

I was too young to actually watch Keane properly live but I take his opinion with the pinchiest of pinches of salt, he gets jobs by talking shite and in general is not the sort of person to have around for anything remotely productive any more.
Say what you want about Keane as a pundit but as a player he had more character in his little toe than anybody in our squad.

Outstanding captain and leader, having somebody like Keane as the captain meant something unlike today where Ashley Young can captain United.

An absolute winner through and through, so alike with SAF in that sense, therefore inevitable they would fall out.

Not only does our team miss characters like this, so does the sport in general nowadays.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
@Class of 63 we don’t often see people climb down from their rants here, they usually double down even when they know they’ve over stepped, so good for you.

Having said that, I just want to deal with his international record.

Roy was voted Ireland’s player of the tournament at the 1994 World Cup and we wouldn’t have got within a asses roar of the 2002 finals without him.

He is generally acknowledged to be one of Ireland’s top 5 players of all time.

clarkydaz

colour me shocked

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Keane was world class. It's that simple. As a box to box midfielder, to me he was irreplaceable. I was to young to see peak Robson but comparisons are not important really. Both tremendous. People say maybe Keane could have got more goals but he was an intelligent player...and an intelligent player, would know he had scholes ghosting in the box beside him in his earlier years....so that wasn't Keanes concern. He was a driving force and people mention lots of players at that time but I wouldn't swap keane for any of his type. It's not even close. He really was that good. You was a competent passer but his drive and ability to get the best out of others..and to SCOLD...when required or protect his team mates. He was an awesome player and it's a joke people forget that or even talk about it.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
I've gone too far belittling Roy Keane, hands up on that, but I shouldn't have to defend my right to be of the opinion(an opinion probably shared by most who saw both) that Robbo was far superior a player, what they are like as individuals doesn't come into it. I can separate the two.
I didn't have the privilege to watch Robson unfortunately but from what I've heard he was a fantastic player. Doesn't mean that somebody who was not as good in footballing terms (in your opinion) was a limited or even talentless player which is what I took from your posts.

Tarrou

imagine having peak robbo and Keano in the midfield today though?

my word

djembatheking

For those too young to remember Keane playing I would say it is hard to judge just how good he was from youtube clips and the like.
Those of us that watched United when Keano was captain will all know how much he meant to the team and success at the time.
Seeing him leading the team out focused, determined and fearless whether a big tie in Old Trafford against a powerful Arsenal at the time, away in a tough tie at Juventus or Galatasary where the away crowd are pumped to feck would give you, as a fan, the belief that United could beat anyone. I am sure his team mates felt the same.
He had everything, passing, tackling, driving forward, organising, scoring. He had it all.
Without him United would not have been the dominant force they were.
He was more than one man in the team.

Bojan11

Omg this is amazing he’s having a total meltdown about Ole should be given time.

Ban

Carra is just blaming the manager while Keane is saying managers need time and recruitment and structure hasn’t been good enough. When asked how long it takes he said Liverpool are praised for all the answers but took 30 years. Why did it take 30 years with all the answers?
Well it is both.