Roy Keane's visit to Carrington

johanovic

Keane is a leader of men and dismissing him as an old guy babbling about history like some have done here is unbelivable. We have a young leader on the field now in Mctominey and I am sure he did listen to Keano. The plain fact in this modern football world there is a lack of leaders. To many of these players lack effort and committment and Pogba is a prime example of that. Having Keano aboard in any way would only help further because at the end of the day the same fundementals work in football now like when Keano was playing. A team that wants to win has to have committment and workrate to match the talent. It pains me to say it but Liverpool are proving that once again.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Robbo at one stage was the best midfield player in the world. He would have got into any team. Keane at one stage was the best midfield player in the world in his position.
Robbo did it on the world-stage with England as well but he never really got the media attention on the continent he shouldve done, Keane was just a bruiser who ran around a lot shouting at far superior footballers(Beckham, Scholes et al), and didn't really do anything of note for his country, rant at Big Mick apart.

Well he was voted 6th in the Balon D'or in 1999 which, for a primarily defensive/box to box midfielder with only 5 goals that season, is pretty impressive. We had to break our wage structure to keep him the following season with Bayern and Juve wanting him.

I'd say between 98-2002 he and Vieria (and also maybe Petit) were on a completely different level to everyone else in the premier league and were at the least up there with the best in Europe.
Voted 6th in one season doesn't make him one of, or the best, which is what I originally replied to.

Its a shame Robbo never matched the professional standards of Keane, Robbo was a bit of a joke of the pitch.
Robbo was a piss can, as were most of that generation and he openly admits that, Roy was a family man who'd prefer to go home and try and out-stare his dog.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't care much for Keane but some of you are ridiculous.
Kean is the greatest captain in this club's history while we have a squad full of players battling to finish sixth. If they cannot be told about the standards required by Kean, who can they hear it from?
What is so bad in asking Kean to talk to them?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Robbo did it on the world-stage with England as well but he never really got the media attention on the continent he shouldve done, Keane was just a bruiser who ran around a lot shouting at far superior footballers(Beckham, Scholes et al), and didn't really do anything of note for his country, rant at Big Mick apart.

Voted 6th in one season doesn't make him one of, or the best, which is what I originally replied to.

Robbo was a piss can, as were most of that generation and he openly admits that, Roy was a family man who'd prefer to go home and try and out-stare his dog.
Absolutely ridiculous comment

POF

Wow. That is one of the worst, most ignorant posts I've ever read!

You surely aren't serious???

DoomSlayer

No mate i'm just trying to wind you up, ffs

He served a purpose, but some of us don't think he walked on water.
You can subjectively dislike Keane as a person, but objectively, his status as a player of our club is absolutely undeniable.

I'm sure there will come a time in the near future when Sir Alex and Roy will reconcile, it might even be Ole who facilitates it as he is very close to both of them. Then a lot of the fans who like to pick a side in this feud will be much more appreciative.

POF

No mate i'm just trying to wind you up, ffs

He served a purpose, but some of us don't think he walked on water.
You know, I actually still can't tell if you're serious or not.

I cannot comprehend that any United fan would have watched the team through Keane's career and not had him as the most important player in the team for the better part of a decade.

How about "didn't really do anything of note for his country"? Was that one serious?

Since 1994, Ireland have played in one world cup (2002), one that Keane absolutely carried them to.

cyril C

You can subjectively dislike Keane as a person, but objectively, his status as a player of our club is absolutely undeniable.

I'm sure there will come a time in the near future when Sir Alex and Roy will reconcile, it might even be Ole who facilitates it as he is very close to both of them. Then a lot of the fans who like to pick a side in this feud will be much more appreciative.
Are you sure? I am sure Fergi would show up in Keane's funeral, just not sure if Keane would show up in Fergi's.

DoomSlayer

Are you sure? I am sure Fergi would show up in Keane's funeral, just not sure if Keane would show up in Fergi's.
Time changes people and I think even Keane is softening a lot more. I can't be 100% sure, but I do hope it happens.

led_scholes

There are two things that I will never forgive Keane for: his performance vs Real in 2000 (god we were the best team in the world by far, we outplayed them, only to decide we cant score even tap ins) and his ridiculously stupid red card vs Porto.
Aside from that, he was one of the best cms in the world for about 5 years.

SER19

Probably the worst, most half baked post I've ever read on redcafe. To the point I'm sure it must just be a wind up.

If true, it displays a genuinely jaw dropping lack of understanding about football and I have no concerns about how patronising that sounds. A post that seems to reek of some self righteous dislike of the individual rather than remotely reflecting on the sporting discussion.

Just dreadful, all round

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Some of you don't quite understand how good R.Keane was.
When I was in my late teens, me and my mates (who supported rival clubs) used to talk about R.Keane.
They all described him at the "engine" of MUFC. "The Engine Man", was their nickname for him.This was when MUFC were winning everything domestically and were on the cusp of winning the treble.
When they went on to win the 1999 treble, they were not surprised, especially when Keane put in the MOTM performance in Turin, after we were 2-0 down. They begrudgingly shrugged their shoulders and accepted that he is probably the best CM on the planet and while he is at MUFC, we will continue winning trophies.
When R.Keane joined MUFC, this was one of the most important pieces of the jigsaw, that SAF was putting together. That jigsaw would go on to become a trophy winning machine.

I'll put it in a way that 2019 fans can understand.
If mid-20s R.Keane joined our team today, I could see us finishing 3rd (this season) and winning the league next year (with 1 key addition, next Summer....just 1).
Without Keane, I see us finishing 6-8th this season and battling for 4th place next season (regardless of how many players we buy next Summer).

That is how highly I rate R.Keane. And yes, I have witnessed great players such as Beckham, Giggs, Stam, Rooney, Ronaldo, Van der Sar, RVN, Peter Schmeichel, Cole, Yorke, etc.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Has to be one of the worst footballing posts ever written. I don’t think you understand football if this is truly what you believe.

bp19992

There are two things that I will never forgive Keane for: his performance vs Real in 2000 (god we were the best team in the world by far, we outplayed them, only to decide we cant score even tap ins) and his ridiculously stupid red card vs Porto.
Aside from that, he was one of the best cms in the world for about 5 years.
You can't forgive a player for a bad performance? I mean I get the red card, but seriously.

Class of 63

Sourness

I just can't see Roy's side of the argument, and i've tried, but somebody needs to bang their heads together and Ole might just be the man.

Class of 63

Sourness
You know, I actually still can't tell if you're serious or not.

I cannot comprehend that any United fan would have watched the team through Keane's career and not had him as the most important player in the team for the better part of a decade.

How about "didn't really do anything of note for his country"? Was that one serious?

Since 1994, Ireland have played in one world cup (2002), one that Keane absolutely carried them to.
Carried them to maybe, then let the Nation down big style.

Class of 63

Sourness
Probably the worst, most half baked post I've ever read on redcafe. To the point I'm sure it must just be a wind up.

If true, it displays a genuinely jaw dropping lack of understanding about football and I have no concerns about how patronising that sounds. A post that seems to reek of some self righteous dislike of the individual rather than remotely reflecting on the sporting discussion.

Just dreadful, all round
It''s got sod all to do with any dislike of Roy Keane, I wouldn't piss on Ryan Giggs if he was on fire but I still think he was a great player.

Foxbatt

Roy Keane played under the two best British managers in Brian Clough and Fergie. Top professionals all the way. Winners too.
Then he had to play under an amateur geezer compared to them, Mick MCarthy. Keane went to the world cup to give a go at winning it. MCarthy went for a lark. Practicing on a concrete pitch, gear not arriving, players traveling in economy class packed like sardines on such a long flight. As most people agree only an idiot or incompetent one would even chose Saipan as the place to practice.
MCarthy humiliated him in front of the team and Keane lost his temper then and had a go at McCarthy. Then he was sent home.

fergiesarmy1

It''s got sod all to do with any dislike of Roy Keane, I wouldn't piss on Ryan Giggs if he was on fire but I still think he was a great player.
Apart from the family thing, Ryan giggs has been nothing but class for the club as a player, person and character serving 4 different decades for us. (Some would say 5 next year)

You need to take a look a long hard look in the mirror.

diarm

It's clear, that alongside some of our players, a lot of people in this thread have no real connection to the club. The audacity to downplay the importance of a club legend, like Roy Keane and try to reduce his time at the club to a few unsavoury incidents, is bizarrely disrespectful. If you watched Keano play, regularly and you think back of his time at the club and don't come away thinking, "that's one of the best midfielders I've ever seen and one of the best captains Manchester united has ever had", then you have no business discussing football. So do one.

You think differently? You're wrong. It's not an opinion. It's an absolute. It's a demonstrably obvious, 100% fact.
One of the best posts I've read in the football forums this year.

Easily the worst.

dev1l

Cannot believe someone described Keane "just a bruiser"
Either he s blind or else know nothing about football

Class of 63

Sourness
Has to be one of the worst footballing posts ever written. I don’t think you understand football if this is truly what you believe.
I've timed that well with the Award season coming up, don't forget to give me a mention ;)

But seriously, I was fortunate enough to see both Robbo and Keane up close and personal for over a decade and in my humble opinion Roy however talented wasn't fit to lace Robbo's boots, that's it, let it go .... you try and enjoy what's left of your weekend.

iHicksy

You know how the majority of pundits rave about Kante's work rate and the likes of silva/carrick etc ability to never lose the ball. I'll put it as simply as possible for those who have either forgotten or who didn't actually play.

Imagine a player with Kante's workrate. Carrick's ability to never give the ball away. Couple that with being the most driven player on the pitch, the guy who's mere presence and demand for leaving nothing on the pitch, that was Roy Keane. This really cannot be overstated. Roy Keane on ability was absolutely incredible, couple that ability with his determination, work rate and aggression and he took every player on his team up from a 6 or 7 to a 9. He was that good.

Green_Red

Jesus you talk some absolute bollox dont you. Every player he played with have said he was the best player on the pitch every week. Get your head out of your arse.

Pretty sure youve blocked me. But we all know if you cant say keano was a seriously good footballer then you have some other issue/agenda with him amd seeing some of your other posts over the last few years we all know what that is too.

Last edited:

Green_Red

Cannot believe someone described Keane "just a bruiser"
Either he s blind or else know nothing about football
People should look his game against France for Ireland in the buildup to 2002 world cup. Youd hardly believe Zidane and Henry were even on the pitch. Immense.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Roy Keane, the talentless bruiser who ended Haaland's career and did nothing on the international stage. Let the myths gush forth.

Class of 63

Sourness
Easily the worst.
From Dublin, now there's a surprise!

I've had folk on here who have called me all the names under the Sun for believing Robbo was a far superior footballer to Keano in previous debates on the topic, and weirdly most were born after Robbo stopped playing which is/was friggin bizarre.

Apologies to one and all for having a fecking opinion.

fergiesarmy1

A United midfielder that passes forward breaking defensive lines and running with the ball? :eek:
Any united fan that calls out giggs or Keane is a disgrace, one that does both should be banned.

Throw in calling Pogba a hero and I’ll go for lynching

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Is it? He was a great motivator of men(SAF on the pitch), but he wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes at United on ability alone if he'd been a shrinking violet, in my humble opinion.
No player would've lasted at United had he been a shrinking violet (see Di Maria for starters). To belittle Keano the way you do is ridiculous, though. His technique, passing, anticipation and tackling were all absolutely top-notch. He was even a decent finisher when needed.

Tarrou

It's weird how so many people have this alternative image of the player Keane was. I guess his reputation has helped create that.