RPG's That aren't Final Fantasy.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Suikoden 1 is probably my favourite game of all time. Though 2 is probably the better game. I've loved them all though, even IV.

Vandal Hearts is good, the one on Xbox Live is fun.

Arc: Twilight Of The Spirits is an excellent, if very odd RPG for the PS2.

Enchanted Arms was pretty good, nothing special, but I liked the grid system and the golems you could collect.

Golden Sun, Fire Emblem(Sacred Stones on the GBA was brilliant), Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Wild Arms, Alundra(I liked the 2nd too, though it's not popular), various Dragon Quests(including the Monsters ones), Breath Of Fire(III especially), Pokemon, Phantasy Star, all great RPGs.

On the other hand, anyone ever play Shadow Madness on the PSX? That was, uhhh, awful, but it was so awful it was brilliant fun, boggles the mind.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Forgot Lunar Silver Star, the PSP version is immense, badly need to play the sequel.

Tbh, I've forgotten many, I'll have to dig through my collection and see what else I have.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Suikoden 1 is probably my favourite game of all time. Though 2 is probably the better game. I've loved them all though, even IV.

Vandal Hearts is good, the one on Xbox Live is fun.

Arc: Twilight Of The Spirits is an excellent, if very odd RPG for the PS2.

Enchanted Arms was pretty good, nothing special, but I liked the grid system and the golems you could collect.

Golden Sun, Fire Emblem(Sacred Stones on the GBA was brilliant), Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Wild Arms, Alundra(I liked the 2nd too, though it's not popular), various Dragon Quests(including the Monsters ones), Breath Of Fire(III especially), Pokemon, Phantasy Star, all great RPGs.

On the other hand, anyone ever play Shadow Madness on the PSX? That was, uhhh, awful, but it was so awful it was brilliant fun, boggles the mind.
This game have actually made me consider buying a xbox!
I haven't seen much of it but the reviews it's getting is unreal, and my xbox playing friends says it's right up there with the best of the best.
Have you played it? Is it worth getting an xbox in the future for?
I'm also wondering a bit about Arc, what's the setting and development system like?

I have enchanted arms, never really got that into it as i found the story (beginning) boring.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Lost Odyssey is brilliant. I'd say it's a must play for JRPG fans but I wouldn't recommend buying a 360 purely for that.

It's pretty standard JRPG really.. you collect rings and combine them throughout for combat effects, but nothing new is brought to the genre.

Strong story, strong combat, looks great, enemies are both unique and interesting. Magic is again completely standard, based on the elements you'd expect (fire, water, earth, wind) - nothing revolutionary again but certainly solid.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I have a few on the Xbox i am currently trying to get through...

The Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery and Lost Odyssey.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I haven't seen much of it but the reviews it's getting is unreal, and my xbox playing friends says it's right up there with the best of the best.
I'm also wondering a bit about Arc, what's the setting and development system like?

I have enchanted arms, never really got that into it as i found the story (beginning) boring.
I've played Enchanted arms, got stuck on a boss and never got past that bit.

Funnily enough I recently bought a PS3 just to play Metal Gear Solid 4, and I haven't even played it yet, but might give it a go later.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

It, and playing Fifa/Tiger Woods with mates are the reason I have one, tbh.
It's a fantastic game, but I have a tendency to over sell the thing. I've said it in the FF thread, but it should be a FF. I wouldn't get an Xbox for any one game, but if there are some other exclusives you're interested in, it's well worth a punt.

Arc was quite interesting, story is set in a more modern time than most fantasy, plenty of swords and stuff, but guns and technology are fairly common. Characters are quite interesting, and the battle system is fantastic, kind of SRPG, but without the grids. Different characters, and attacks have different ranges and radii, so you can hit multiple enemies with a sword swing or arrow. Sometimes if two players are in range of an enemy they'll combo. Been a time since I played it, IIRC development is standard xp/levels and abilities as you level up.

The only thing I didn't really like about Enchanted Arms were the two female party members, annoying as feck.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Lost Odyssey is brilliant. I'd say it's a must play for JRPG fans but I wouldn't recommend buying a 360 purely for that.

It's pretty standard JRPG really.. you collect rings and combine them throughout for combat effects, but nothing new is brought to the genre.

Strong story, strong combat, looks great, enemies are both unique and interesting. Magic is again completely standard, based on the elements you'd expect (fire, water, earth, wind) - nothing revolutionary again but certainly solid.
I really like the rings, kind of see it as an expansion of FFVIII's gunblade trigger.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Anyone played Dark Cloud 2?
I have Dark Cloud but i have never played the second one as i heard from a mate that it went so far off the tracks from the original that it ruined the experience for him.
Other people seem to like it though...

Revan

Assumptionman
BioWare is the best when it comes to RPG that aren't JRPG.

Knights of The Old Republic, Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origin are some of the best games I have ever played. Mass Effect 2 isn't that far from them on quality. I liked Kotor's sequel very much too (though it is Obsidian not BioWare) despite it has some flaws. Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 were good games but not if you compare them with their prequels. And Jade Empire was decent. Haven't played Baldur's Gate series but apparently they are even better.

If we can count as RPG, then Deus Ex and System Shock 2 should be on every list. I think that they are more shooters than RPG but still, they are amazing games.

Oh and Chrono Trigger, the great Final Fantasy game who isn't a Final Fantasy game.

Cina

They need to make a new KOTOR game. SWTOR's shit.
It's actually a great MMORPG in the grand scheme of things, Bioware have done well to sort out all the early negativity around it when it was first released, but obviously as a "sequel" to KOTOR, it's not great.

Not much to mention that hasn't been already really, although the best recent one I've played is Ni No Kuni, kind of Pokemon meets Final Fantasy meets Disney. Exceptional game.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
It's actually a great MMORPG in the grand scheme of things, Bioware have done well to sort out all the early negativity around it when it was first released, but obviously as a "sequel" to KOTOR, it's not great.

Not much to mention that hasn't been already really, although the best recent one I've played is Ni No Kuni, kind of Pokemon meets Final Fantasy meets Disney. Exceptional game.
Yeah wasn't implying that it was a sequel to KOTOR sorry. To be fair, I only played it when it went free to play and didn't get very far into the game, so I shouldn't judge it just based on that I suppose. I did like the choices in conversations and the cutscenes were very well done. Also tried TERA but that was meh as well.

I need to play Ni No Kuni, heard great things about it but sadly I live away from home due to uni and don't have a PS3. Missing out of TLOU because of that too.

Cina

Yeah wasn't implying that it was a sequel to KOTOR sorry. To be fair, I only played it when it went free to play and didn't get very far into the game, so I shouldn't judge it just based on that I suppose. I did like the choices in conversations and the cutscenes were very well done. Also tried TERA but that was meh as well.

I need to play Ni No Kuni, heard great things about it but sadly I live away from home due to uni and don't have a PS3. Missing out of TLOU because of that too.
F2P made the leveling a bit crap, because it added so many silly restrictions (it's one of the worst F2P models I've seen). When it was still P2P, the leveling system was brilliant, probably the best out of any MMO, the problem was that there was feck all end content in the game and people started dropping off like flies.

NNK and TLOU are both amazing, you should try!

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

That's been sitting on my shelf since the week it came out, keep saying I'll play it next...... Damn it!

Cina

That's been sitting on my shelf since the week it came out, keep saying I'll play it next...... Damn it!
What takes up your time? I actually can't think of any good JRPG's on the PS3 apart from it.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You should definitely get onto it straight away. It can feel a little bit slow at times, but the familiars are a really fun feature even though some of them are an absolute bastard to get. Has a good story with some neat side quests too, beautiful game.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
What takes up your time? I actually can't think of any good JRPG's on the PS3 apart from it.
Long list of old RPG's on other systems. Need to finish Blue Dragon on the Xbox, have Radiant Hostoria in the post.

Tbh, the only other JRPGs on PS3 that spring to mind are FF13, 13-2 and Enchanted Arms, Enchanted Arms was the only one I enjoyed, and that's nothing special.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
You should definitely get onto it straight away. It can feel a little bit slow at times, but the familiars are a really fun feature even though some of them are an absolute bastard to get. Has a good story with some neat side quests too, beautiful game.
I'll need to set myself a reminder for Monday when I've no plans on watching football all day and night.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Long list of old RPG's on other systems. Need to finish Blue Dragon on the Xbox, have Radiant Hostoria in the post.

Tbh, the only other JRPGs on PS3 that spring to mind are FF13, 13-2 and Enchanted Arms, Enchanted Arms was the only one I enjoyed, and that's nothing special.
No no kuni is a lot of fun.

I don't normally like turn based games, but this one had a lot of charm

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Tales of Xillia, Tales of Graces (generally tales of...), White knight chronicles, Ni no kuni & Eternal Sonata.

Justin

Resonance Of Fate (extremely hard game IMO) and Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 as well. Get em played.
I just finished Valkyria Chronicles, brilliant turn based RPG game with a great story.

RedMist99

Lost Odyssey, despite being one of the most depressing games to play through, I enjoyed immensely.

Defo my favourite JRPG of the generation

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
Yeah, despite the fact i never finished it, i enjoyed Lost Odyssey immensely. My housemate actually has a copy... i should 'borrow' it when i get a chance.

Skywarden

I know many won't recognise Dragon's Dogma (Dark Arisen) because of its lacklustre story and NPC characters but I thought it was great game well worth the time I invested in it. A very good challenge on hard mode as well.

Other than that, Tales of Xillia and Xenoblade are probably my favourite RPGs of this gen.

Revan

Assumptionman
I couldn't agree more! I mostly find turn based RPG's incredibly frustrating.
Turned base RPG are amazing aftet a few hours of playing and when yoy have a large pool of attack/defend combinations.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
About 1:45 into Ni No Kuni. It's like a weird mix of Dragon Quest, Pokemon and Disney. The whole thing is incredibly beautiful, from the graphics, design, world, and the cartoon cutscenes. Music is fantastic too, and I was surprised to enjoy the voice acting.

The only niggle for me is the combat, it's quite like FFXII, but more polished, a bit more easy to control and free flowing, while I don't honestly like it, I don't hate it like later Final Fantasies, and so far it's been no hindrance to enjoying the game.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
I have Persona 4, high quality game, though I don't like the idea of limiting your time for exploring and grinding.

Skies of Arcadia's only issue was being on nothing but Dreamcast and Gamecube.

Cina

About 1:45 into Ni No Kuni. It's like a weird mix of Dragon Quest, Pokemon and Disney. The whole thing is incredibly beautiful, from the graphics, design, world, and the cartoon cutscenes. Music is fantastic too, and I was surprised to enjoy the voice acting.

The only niggle for me is the combat, it's quite like FFXII, but more polished, a bit more easy to control and free flowing, while I don't honestly like it, I don't hate it like later Final Fantasies, and so far it's been no hindrance to enjoying the game.
The combat gets a lot better later on. For the first few hours of the game I just found myself taking out my mite and smashing everything, but it does improve drastically as you progress and get more characters.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Skies of Arcadia was an absolutely brilliant game. I only played the Legends version on the Gamecube, but it was such a great, great game.

The soundtrack was great, with the tempo and tone of the music trying to match how you were doing in battle.