RPG's That aren't Final Fantasy.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
The combat gets a lot better later on. For the first few hours of the game I just found myself taking out my mite and smashing everything, but it does improve drastically as you progress and get more characters.
I was afraid of the reverse when getting more characters, that'd be harder to control what's going on.

That mite is awesome though, useless later on, I assume, but it's a fantastic design.

Cina

I was afraid of the reverse when getting more characters, that'd be harder to control what's going on.

That mite is awesome though, useless later on, I assume, but it's a fantastic design.
Yeah it's great early on but a bit crap later. Make sure you get one of the skeletons you'll encounter in a few hours. They turn into one of the best later on.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
You can catch them? So far I've only gotten the two that were given to me, just after getting the wand in Ding Dong Dell, must go back to the forest for that blue chest before continuing the story, if I can catch stuff, I'd pick a few of those forest creatures up.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Vagrant Story was always one of my favourite non-FF RPG's. No surprise it was developed by Square though (How the fudge they managed so many good RPG's in such a short amount of time I'll never know). Hopefully that game will see a re-release on the PS Store. Sony still hold a stake in S-E so I don't see why it wouldn't be released eventually.

Good fun game, good story, lots of stuff to do and I liked the customisation of it all and the way you levelled up. Enemies were great fun too. A great RPG.
Yea I loved that game, especially the battle system. How can I play this again?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Looking for an RPG to play, probably an Action RPG.

Something with good character development, gear and stat upgrades and a reasonable story line. Any suggestions? 1st or 3rd Person.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Anything made by Bioware. They make fantastic games.

Lance Uppercut

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

The Witcher 2.

Dark Souls 2.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This one looks interesting...
It's really good. You might get the Expansions with it too on Steam for a cut price which add a lot to the game. When you initially look and feel the world you're in you don't think it's going to be a big game, but then you look at the map and realise it is huge. So much to explore and i doubt many have. I've already clocked up 26 hours but i'm around 1/3 of the way through the overall map/game i would say. Agree with Lance that the combat is great, but the characters, lore, and enemies are brilliant too.

Lance Uppercut

You could give Divinity 2: Developer's Cut a try. I put a lot of time into that.

Cina

Loving Persona 4 Golden at the moment. Weird as feck but great.

Aboutreika18

Shin Megami Tensei III has been put on the US PSN today. I'd highly recommend the Megami Tensei series and it's spin-offs like Persona, Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga etc.

Ainu

If you want action then Kingdoms of Amalur is certainly a good shout. Great combat, almost plays as tight as a pure action game. Good character development, smithing, crafting, huge game world with a stupendous amount of quests. The story line is pretty generic though, you're not going to care much for any characters in the game. A nice little twist is that, for a fee, you can completely rebuild your character at any point in the game. Change its class and everything.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Kingdoms of Amalur is a great shout, do it Pex!

Ainu

Not one mention of Gothic? Are you guys serious?
I find Gothic very hard to recommend to anyone. Bland presentation, clunky combat mechanics and loads of bugs. There is something to enjoy there, but at the same time these games are such a struggle to play. It's like Elder Scrolls, only worse and without the excellent modding community.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Never even heard of Gothic...... :nervous:

Lance Uppercut

I have been reading the first impressions players are having with Bound by Flame over on NeoGAF. I think I'll pick it up.

It is available to download on the PS Store at the minute, but the reviews are embargoed until Friday.

Donut

I find Gothic very hard to recommend to anyone. Bland presentation, clunky combat mechanics and loads of bugs. There is something to enjoy there, but at the same time these games are such a struggle to play. It's like Elder Scrolls, only worse and without the excellent modding community.
I agree that if you dissect it piece by piece it's not impressive, but the as a sum of all parts I loved it.

Lowkey

Seems to be quite a few recommendations for divinity 2. Looking at steam, there seems to be a couple. Is it Divinity 2: Developers Cut?

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
I agree that if you dissect it piece by piece it's not impressive, but the as a sum of all parts I loved it.
This is the thing I find with a lot of RPGs to be fair. The TES series is one of my all time RPG favourites (apart from that weird GTA: Skyrim thing) but even then it has its fair share of flaws. There seem to be only a few that nail absolutely every aspect in the rpg genre. I suppose there's a much wider range of things people expect to be done really well in an rpg compared to other genres though.

Last edited:

Ainu

In my opinion there isn't a single RPG out there that ticks all the boxes, i.e. great combat mechanics, character development, story, a great game world to explore, etc.

The Elder Scrolls certainly nails the game world and for my part character development and story too (the main story is negligible, it's all the little quest story lines that make it so good), but seriously drops the ball in terms of combat. A game like Kingdoms of Amalur nails the combat and character development, but its story line leaves a lot to be desired. The Witcher 2 nails the story line and combat (though it's love it or hate it), but doesn't have a lot in terms of character development. Mass Effect (the original) does a lot of things right, but outside of the storied locations, the game world becomes incredibly generic and boring to explore.

The perfect RPG would need to be a lot of Elder Scrolls with Kingdoms of Amalur quality combat and a story line and characters as strong as in The Witcher 2. I haven't seen it yet. Perhaps it's better if that game never exists, as it would probably be the end of my social life.

Lance Uppercut

In terms of action RPGs, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are as good as it gets for me. At first, they seem short on story but the lore is actually very deep, you just have to look into it for yourself. The combat is also excellent.

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
Good point, Ainu. For me Baldurs Gate 2 is the game that comes closest to the perfect RPG.
Yeh, I do generally prefer this style of RPG for the combat. I much prefer the stat/number crunching style to the Dark Souls style where it's very possible (eg dex/spear/shield build) to sort of "cheese" the combat in a lot of situations. Morrowind was a nice combination of the two. Replaying kotor2 at the moment, forgot how fun it is rolling about as T3 nuking everything in sight...