RPG's That aren't Final Fantasy.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep looks to have absolutely fantastic combat. Unfortunately it's not on the PSP store for me to buy on my Vita.

Has anyone played it?

The combat in the Dragons Dogma demo really impressed me, I haven't played the full game though.

Lance Uppercut

Dragon's Dogma is quality. Buy the Dark Arisen add on and you get the entire game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I never played it but I heard that it focuses much more on the combat and the story takes a back seat, is that true?
Aye that's fairly true but it's not like the story is poor. It's still gripping and one you don't get tired of playing over and over.

Leg-End

I got Dragon's Dogma with PS+ and was almost immediately put off by the graphics, I didn't make it out of the first area. I should probably give it another try, I've always heard great things about it.

Alock1

What's Icewind Dale about/like?

Alock1

The mechanics taken straight from Baldur's Gate but it aimed a bit more on combat aspect.

Not as deep as Planescape: Torment and Baldur's but still very enjoyable RPG.
I haven't played any. Seems I am missing out. Revan and Cina were both highly recommending Baldur's Gate and Planescape in the top 50 games thread. Which do I start with out of the 3 when I try one out over the summer?

Alock1

Can't recommend Resonance of fate and ni no kuni enough.
I like what I've played of ni no kuni, never played Resonance of Fate. JRPG right? Is it on 360 or just PS3?

- Have you 3DS guys played the new Fire Emblem? Or has anyone played any of the others? The 3DS one looks quality! I really want it..

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
First Dark Souls game for it's atmosphere and challenge. It was brutal, the bosses were unforgiving and the plot was in a mood of dark fantasy. I would risk and say it had some survival horror element to it because of constant need of managing the equipment to simply survive the adventure.

I've spent whole days in analyzing the stats to make my character get through this. Satisfaction doubled as the story writing was solid.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I haven't played any. Seems I am missing out. Revan and Cina were both highly recommending Baldur's Gate and Planescape in the top 50 games thread. Which do I start with out of the 3 when I try one out over the summer?
Start with Baldur's Gate saga. It's a superior RPG game with epic, beautiful plot and some memorable characters... Then take on it's sister - Icewind Dale a game that builds the world even further and it's still enjoyable.

After you'll master Baldur and Icewind, you'll be ready to challenge Planescape: Torment which from a story writing and dialogue aspect blew the whole industry's brains out. People will agree with me when I'll say that Planescape kills Fallout 2 and other classics with it's complexity and unique atmosphere.

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I like what I've played of ni no kuni, never played Resonance of Fate. JRPG right? Is it on 360 or just PS3?

- Have you 3DS guys played the new Fire Emblem? Or has anyone played any of the others? The 3DS one looks quality! I really want it..
Aye, tis also available on Xbox 360. Found it very challenging in a good way.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Brilliant games, the 3DS one is a fantastic introduction too, as you can turn off perma-death and play the battles more like classic RPG's were you don't have to worry *as much* about characters getting ko'd.

Alock1

Brilliant games, the 3DS one is a fantastic introduction too, as you can turn off perma-death and play the battles more like classic RPG's were you don't have to worry *as much* about characters getting ko'd.
So many games I want for that console. Bravely Default, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem are games I've never played (well, a little of BD and it was awesome). Include OOT, SSM, Mario Kart, Mario Land, ALBW, X/Y, Kingdom Hearts and then coming Ruby/Sapphire. There's more too..

My god...

Ainu

Can't recommend Resonance of fate and ni no kuni enough.
Despite having bought it, I never actually had the patience to properly play Resonance of Fate. I don't know if it was me or the game failed to get me to learn its systems. The tile system to progress in the game world (I only half remember it) seemed intriguing, but I just couldn't get into the combat. I didn't really understand what was going on. :lol:

Eventually I traded it in. Might be worth another go.

I agree on Ni No Kuni, very charming game with just enough depth despite appearing a little simplistic initially.

Lance Uppercut

Despite not being a fan of JRPGs I bought Ni No Kuni. I didn't finish it, but I quite liked it, up to a point.

Great visuals.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
So many games I want for that console. Bravely Default, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem are games I've never played (well, a little of BD and it was awesome). Include OOT, SSM, Mario Kart, Mario Land, ALBW, X/Y, Kingdom Hearts and then coming Ruby/Sapphire. There's more too..

My god...
Also..... DS games, mate. Vita's the better machine(and I laugh at the lack of games argument), but holy crap. The back catalogue the 3DS is workin' with, holy crap.

Despite not being a fan of JRPGs I bought Ni No Kuni. I didn't finish it, but I quite liked it, up to a point.

Great visuals.
Possibly the most gorgeous game of it's gen.

Alock1

I actually don't think much of the Vita's library, to me it all feels like ports or arcade games rather than what it's capable of. I know some of you have got loads of hours out of it, but I just haven't got attached to anything except the PS1/PSP games. It could be that I bought it at launch so spent like £300+ quid on it for everything (3G version too) though like an idiot.

But yeah, that library - my God. I didn't even mention Professor Layton!

Ryan's Beard

Probably doesn't have a career as a comedian
Everyone should play Mount & Blade Warband at some point too. It's not really an action RPG but it has action and RPG elements and it's fantastic.

Ainu

Is that not considered more of a strategy game? I have never played it but people rave about it.
Yeah it's turn based strategy. There are some very light RPG elements (your characters/soldiers level up, you can gradually improve equipment) but I don't see how you could call it an RPG, much less an action RPG. It's a very different type of gameplay and progression system.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Yeah it's turn based strategy. There are some very light RPG elements (your characters/soldiers level up, you can gradually improve equipment) but I don't see how you could call it an RPG, much less an action RPG. It's a very different type of gameplay and progression system.
I am a shill for that game and try and get people to buy it whatever way I can.

Alock1

Man.. so many good (supposedly) RPGs I haven't played, or know shit all about.

Ryan's Beard

For anyone looking at Divinity 2, it's on GOG for roughly the same price as Steam (slightly cheaper on GOG) without any daft DRM stuff.

Lance Uppercut

Everyone should play Mount & Blade Warband at some point too. It's not really an action RPG but it has action and RPG elements and it's fantastic.
I almost bought that about 20 times during the last Steam sale.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ok so I have finally made my choice....

Child of Light.

Bit different to what I asked but getting incredible reviews. I just watched a trailer and it gave me strange nostalgia pangs despite it being a new game which is always a good thing.

Ryan's Beard

I think it was about £11 or something.
Ah, maybe not worth that unless you're sure you'll like the concept. I'd grab it on sale though, especially since a "sequel" is just round the corner.

Now that Pex's issue is solved, an admission: I've never really got into FF. I've played a few here and there but in general the entire concept always feels tired to me. I don't not enjoy turn based combat like that, but the entire feel of the few I've messed about with never really hooked me. But, I know I must be missing something since they're clearly very good games. The question is, which one should I play?

Alock1

@Ryan's Beard - do you prefer 2D or 3D?

I'd say try 6 for 2D, 7 or 9 for 3D.

There's a shit ton of people who never got into Final Fantasy. It's daunting and overwhelming.

Alock1

They're all great. 7's my personal favourite, I'd go for that but you can't go wrong with any.

Ryan's Beard

My kiddie RPGs were Baldur's Gate and Diablo2 and things like that so FF just never interested me. Feel like I've denied my youth.

7's on steam for a tenner... Might have to do it.