RPG's That aren't Final Fantasy.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I always rated the Suikoden series myself.

Suikoden IV on Playstation being a particular favourite of mine.

Vandal Hearts was also a very good game which is criminally under-rated on PSX.

The Disgaea series has been fantastic, and a recent PS2 release whose name escapes me is meant to be a fantastic achievement.

What are caffer's other favourites ?

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Vagrant Story was always one of my favourite non-FF RPG's. No surprise it was developed by Square though (How the fudge they managed so many good RPG's in such a short amount of time I'll never know). Hopefully that game will see a re-release on the PS Store. Sony still hold a stake in S-E so I don't see why it wouldn't be released eventually.

Good fun game, good story, lots of stuff to do and I liked the customisation of it all and the way you levelled up. Enemies were great fun too. A great RPG.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Dark Chronicle (or Dark Cloud 2) was a great RPG on PS2. I spent vast quantities of my life on that game and still never finished it.

Brilliant game, got to the final boss fight but wasn't really anwhere near levelled up enough to take him. The fact you could build your own towns was such a great feature.

Another game i spent an obscene amount of time playing was:

Brilliant game, and one of the few RPG's of recent times to actually have a fully explorable world map. Loads of side things to do and very customisable, also a great story and voiceover work which usually helps.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Some others i really liked:

Rogue Galaxy - (Never hear much about it but was a quality game)
Kingdom Hearts series
Legend of Zelda series
Fallout series
Star Ocean: second story
Mass Effect

Elder Scrolls series
Fable series

Grandia - If you haven't played this, find it and do so. Excellent RPG, might be a bit dated now though.

Iron Stove

Planescape
BG series
NWN series
Fallout series
SW: KOTOR
Mass Effect
Good list.

Anyone played the Ultima series? Used to be quite good before the last few games. I remember when I got Ultima XII The Black Gate and it was so huge I couldn't believe it. You could go anywhere! This was of course before huge online RPGs like WoW.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
The Elder Scrolls series, obviously. Morrowind and Oblivion are two of the best games you will ever play on.

Good shout with Dragon Quest 8, Xander. Wonderful soundtrack, good story and pretty amusing to be honest. It was far more impressive than the FF that came out a few months later. :(

Kristjan

Retired Dictator
Good list.

Anyone played the Ultima series? Used to be quite good before the last few games. I remember when I got Ultima XII The Black Gate and it was so huge I couldn't believe it. You could go anywhere! This was of course before huge online RPGs like WoW.
Ultima hehe

I played Ultima I - IV back in the days but didn't play any of the ones after IV.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm not a massive RPG fan, though there are some RPG games I'm a massive fan of. Like KotOR, and Baldurs Gate (both series, both games). If you count shooter-RPG's, then I quite enjoyed Mass Effect and Fallout 3 (probably the latter more than the former, it had a much freer feel to it).

What I do know, is that I have almost as big a seething hatred for JRPGs as I've got for Anime, probably for the same reasons. Strangely, and this goes to show what a hypocrite I am, I quite liked FF8. I guess part of the reason was that it didn't take half the game to realize what gender the characters were. They've got a bit of spikey-hair syndrome going on, but it's a Japanese game, I can't ask for the impossible.

Hellboy

Funny how no one mentionned the SMT series, it's so under rated. My personal favourite by a country mile (SMT, Persona, Devil Summoner, DDS etc.)

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Necroing this thread.

Here are some:
Tales of... (Most consoles)
Xenoblade (Wii)
The Last Story (Wii)
Golden Sun (GBA)
Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga (GBA)
Fire Emblem (GBA)
Shadowhearts (PS2)
.Hack games (PS2)
Nocturne (PS2)
Xenogears (PS2)
Legend of Dragoon (PS1)
Breath of Fire III (PS1)
Chrono Trigger (PS1)
Chrono Cross (PS1)
Koudelka (PS1)
Lunar (PS1)

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, Elder Scrolls, Fable, GTA, Guildwars, Deus Ex

Kingdom Hearts, Shadowhearts, Skies of Arcadia, Xenoblade, Shadow of the Colossus, Pokemon, Phantasy Star, Dragon Quest, Jade Empire

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
What the hell? This is like 4 years old :p
I know, I wanted to start a thread on the same thing to learn about potential games to buy and figured it would be better to necro this thread than to make a new one.
I might be wrong though but that seemed to be the way to do it down in the newbies.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Exactly what this beautiful man said. feck the newbies, this is the mains. Man up.

I'll add Dragons Age and Icewind Dale to the list.
Alright, in the future i will. But as i've already necroed this thead it would be stupid to start another one on the same topic.

Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, Elder Scrolls, Fable, GTA, Guildwars, Deus Ex

Kingdom Hearts, Shadowhearts, Skies of Arcadia, Xenoblade, Shadow of the Colossus, Pokemon, Phantasy Star, Dragon Quest, Jade Empire
Is there any "leveling" on these games? I thought Mass Effect and Deus Ex were fps games to be honest, heard much good about them though.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
KOTOR is amazing. Easily my favourite RPG. KOTOR 2 doesn't quite match up to it but is still awesome. SWTOR has shat all over the KOTOR universe.

Can you imagine a KOTOR remake on the Mass Effect engine?
:drool: I need to replay ME3 over the holidays. Did you see the new image teasers for the new ME game?

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I never even knew a new ME game had been announced. What are the images?
They've confirmed they're working on another game set in the Mass Effect Universe, but it's not related to Shepherd and he won't feature.

The next game hasn't been announced, they've tweeted some teaser shots where you can't really say anything. On one of them I think there was a tag line 'protagonist doesn't look human in this shot'.

Rumours it'll be officially announced next month at VGAs.