Rugby 2017 Discussion

tomaldinho1

Sexton - Farrell doesn't work. Why try it now? SBW will just keep straight, knowing he will make ground every time

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Lions left to ponder what might have been after missing some good try scoring opportunities. AB's too clinical in the end and I think they'll seal the series next weekend. RSA take on France later and I don't see that match being any different from the first two tests.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Great first half but turned into a riot in the second. AB's were more clinical, better handling and more fluent in possession. This Lion's side doesn't have the consistency about their play to win this series, but they did show in glimpses they have some firepower to hurt them but ultimately it isn't going to be enough.

Zoo

Owen Farrell was poor today. He is a very good player but Sexton is the more natural flyhalf and back on form so should be starting there next test. Jonathan Davies was superb and Teo was decent as well.

Need more dynamism in the forwards with the All Blacks looking far more impressive in that department, Itoje should start with Lawes and Stander also possibly on the bench.

Zen

Same story as a few of the England near misses a couple years back......one ruthlessly efficient team taking their chances, one spurning them. But you know that about the All Blacks going it, so the fact the Lions are creating the chances, more than the All Blacks did themselves I think, is a good sign.

Not sure there were many out there I'd consider 'bad' or hell even, droppable. Very marginal.

Rooney1987

Owen Farrell was poor today. He is a very good player but Sexton is the more natural flyhalf and back on form so should be starting there next test. Jonathan Davies was superb and Teo was decent as well.
Would have to disagree on this Farrell was poor but Sexton when he came on wasn't better, I thought he was worse. Don't think he's been on any form on this tour outside of a good half against the Maori. Saying that I didn't be against that move, ever since Farrell took that kick he hasn't looked right.

I don't know Garland and Howley are doing in training but how is it when Lions break they have no support. Te'o/ Davies both made breaks and nothing. When NZ do it they have a number of players waiting.

I was concerned before game breaking up the Sarries lock for AWJ and it didn't work. AWJ did take a knock but he was gassed after 15mins just it worse after that. Kruis wasn't much better but I don't think he'll have another bad game like that. Itoje has to start next week, got a few big hits and stole a few line outs.

I don't think the impact subs didn't do much so I'd switch McGrath/Mako around, even though Mako was fine I'd still like his impact of bench, put Lawes on bench, put Tipuric on bench replace halfpenny on bench too cause he is not an impact sub.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
This year's Rugby Championship looks like another tournament where the intrigue will be to see who finishes 2nd. If performances in June are anything to go by, the Boks appear best placed to finish 2nd behind the All Blacks. Worrying from an Australian viewpoint as the most realistic bit of silverware available to the Wallabies is the Mandela Plate and the Boks will believe they can beat Australia twice this year to regain the Mandela Plate.

I expected so much more from France, they never looked like winning any of the three tests and only managed four tries to South Africa's 12. The Wallabies are a million miles off challenging the All Blacks when the Bledisloe Cup series rolls around. I hope it doesn't get so ugly that the headline is ''Woeful Wallabies'' like the 1972 tour to New Zealand.

tomaldinho1

Would have to disagree on this Farrell was poor but Sexton when he came on wasn't better, I thought he was worse. Don't think he's been on any form on this tour outside of a good half against the Maori. Saying that I didn't be against that move, ever since Farrell took that kick he hasn't looked right.

I don't know Garland and Howley are doing in training but how is it when Lions break they have no support. Te'o/ Davies both made breaks and nothing. When NZ do it they have a number of players waiting.

I was concerned before game breaking up the Sarries lock for AWJ and it didn't work. AWJ did take a knock but he was gassed after 15mins just it worse after that. Kruis wasn't much better but I don't think he'll have another bad game like that. Itoje has to start next week, got a few big hits and stole a few line outs.

I don't think the impact subs didn't do much so I'd switch McGrath/Mako around, even though Mako was fine I'd still like his impact of bench, put Lawes on bench, put Tipuric on bench replace halfpenny on bench too cause he is not an impact sub.
I actually noticed this as well. Was really surprised when it zoomed in on a huddle and he was completely gone.

All this talk about targeting Murray makes me think we'll stick with same strategy for 2nd test - box kicking from our half but hopefully more territorial game. I'm not giving up on us winning second test but we'll need much better finishing and maybe Halfpenny for long range 3 pointers.

Game 8: Lions vs Hurricanes

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Hurricanes vs Lions not far away. Hurricanes back three featuring Julien Savea, Nehe Milner Skuderr and Jordie Barrett will cause damage if not kept in check.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Good to see Romain Poite eventually penalised the Hurricanes for boring in. Hurricanes looked dominant but they didn't dominate legally.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Hurricanes penalised for offside, Biggar puts over an easy penalty goal. Lions lead 3-0 10 minutes in.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
13th minute in to the match and the hurricanes have conceded five penalties.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Brilliant breakout try by the Lions, Laidlaw intercepted the ball ran about 40 yards before passing to Tommy Seymour who finished off the try. 10-0 Lions 18 minutes in. Robbie Henshaw may have done his shoulder too. Leigh Halfpenny on in place of Henshaw, not looking good for the Irish centre.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Dan Biggar gives the Lions a 13-0 lead 24 minutes after the Canes are penalised again this time for playing an opponent in the air.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Callum Gibbins scores from close range to put the Hurricanes on the board. Jordie Barrett's kick is good. 13-7 to the Lions half an hour in.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Dumb doesn't justify what Ben May has just done. Jordie Barrett in position for clearing kick, executes the kick and Ben May tackles a chaser off the ball and is subsequently penalised. Lions 16-7 32 minutes in.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
George North scores after the hurricanes were unable to diffuse a Dan Biggar bomb. Lions 23-7 on the cusp of halftime.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Lions withstand some late pressure by the Hurricanes and lead 23-7 at halftime.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Hurricanes score off a brilliant move, Ngani Laumape with the finish to a fine move. Lions 23-14 42 minutes in.