Rugby 2017 Discussion

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Here we go again! New rules will be the talking point for at least the first weekend.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4
Scotland v Ireland (Murrayfield) - 1425 GMT, BBC
England v France (Twickenham) - 1650 GMT, ITV

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 5
Italy v Wales (Stadio Olimpico) - 1400 GMT, ITV

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11
Italy v Ireland (Stadio Olimpico) - 1445 GMT, ITV
Wales v England (Principality Stadium) - 1650 GMT, BBC

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12
France v Scotland (Stade de France) - 1500 GMT, BBC

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 25
Scotland v Wales (Murrayfield) - 1425 GMT, BBC
Ireland v France (Aviva Stadium) - 1650 GMT, ITV

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 26
England v Italy (Twickenham) - 1500 GMT, ITV

FRIDAY, MARCH 10
Wales v Ireland (Principality Stadium) - 2005 GMT, BBC

SATURDAY, MARCH 11
Italy v France France (Stadio Olimpico) - 1330 GMT, ITV
England v Scotland (Twickenham) - 1600 GMT, ITV

SATURDAY, MARCH 18
Scotland v Italy (Murrayfield) - 1230 GMT, BBC
France v Wales (Stade de France) - 1445 GMT, ITV
Ireland v England (Aviva Stadium) - 1700 GMT, ITV

kidbob

Seems set up for a final day showdown between Ireland and England. Big worry for us is Sexton. Should be fine for the first 2 games but we need him to be able to play at least 60 in the final 3 matches.

Rooney1987

Bonus points!
Also being on ITV as well as the BBC in UK which is a great shame. We all know ITV reputation showing live sport and BBC 6N coverage was always top notch.

Might be the best 6N we've had. England 2nd best rank team in world after a year unbeaten and improving every day. Eng have a few injuries 7 to first team and yet can still put out a world class team, gonna be so tough to beat. Ireland looked the most impressive in the Autumn and the All Black performance in Chicago was incredible. So tough to call between them 2. Ireland have England at home last but England have 3 home games. The others - no one is really talking about Wales, they have some world class players and we've most of the pressure on Eng/Ire they will be dangerous. France at times in the Autumn against Oz and the All Blacks looked very impressive. We all know that old cliché with France they will look amazing at times and then probably lose to Italy, losing Fofana will be a big miss. Scotland I think for first time in a long time might win 3 games, looking very good and with the form of Glasgow in Pro 12 they really should progress this year. Be interesting how Scotland play with Cotter leaving end of the 6N. Italy have Conner O'Shea in charge so that will be a huge positive for them but I didn't get to see much of them in Autumn but looking at how the other 5 have improve it's to see them winning a game.

Tarrou

tempted by England at 11/10 for the championship, but away to Ireland and to a lessor extent Wales is a worry

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Also being on ITV as well as the BBC in UK which is a great shame. We all know ITV reputation showing live sport and BBC 6N coverage was always top notch.

Might be the best 6N we've had. England 2nd best rank team in world after a year unbeaten and improving every day. Eng have a few injuries 7 to first team and yet can still put out a world class team, gonna be so tough to beat. Ireland looked the most impressive in the Autumn and the All Black performance in Chicago was incredible. So tough to call between them 2. Ireland have England at home last but England have 3 home games. The others - no one is really talking about Wales, they have some world class players and we've most of the pressure on Eng/Ire they will be dangerous. France at times in the Autumn against Oz and the All Blacks looked very impressive. We all know that old cliché with France they will look amazing at times and then probably lose to Italy, losing Fofana will be a big miss. Scotland I think for first time in a long time might win 3 games, looking very good and with the form of Glasgow in Pro 12 they really should progress this year. Be interesting how Scotland play with Cotter leaving end of the 6N. Italy have Conner O'Shea in charge so that will be a huge positive for them but I didn't get to see much of them in Autumn but looking at how the other 5 have improve it's to see them winning a game.
I think all in all, we can look forward to a smashing championship.

diarm

The quality is much higher than it has been in recent years going into this.

England are right up alongside NZ as the form side in world rugby. They have the depth, power and class out wide to go into the tournament rightly as favourites. They'll miss the Vunipolas but few sides could cope with the loss of such players as well as the English.

Ireland are building real strength in depth and continue to improve under Joe Schmidt. That said, Sextons fitness is a worry and were anything to happen Murray, we're goosed. France and England at home is always a plus, and that final day showdown with the English should be a cracker.

France look resurgent although they will really miss Forfana at 12. He is the attacking focus of that side and there really isn't anyone else to bring that without him. Aside from Clermont players, there will be plenty to prove for this French squad after some poor showings in Europe so far this season.

Wales seem like the one side not on an upward curve but there is still real quality there and the Welsh have a knack for stepping up on a Lions year. Their front row will need a big improvement but in AW Jones, Tipuric, Warburton, Faletau, Biggar and Liam Williams they have quality to challenge anyone on their day.

Italy will surely improve under O'Shea but may still struggle against the improved stronger nations. I think they will be targeting this first game with Wales as their best opportunity. If the Welsh aren't on form, we might see an upset here but I reckon it'll be a tough couple of months for the Azurri.

Scotland are maybe the most exciting prospect. For the first time in years this is a Scottish side without too many weaknesses. Dominated by a strong Glasgow side and a very effective loose 5, the Scots boast possibly the form 10 in Europe at the moment and in Seymour, Hogg and Jones, some genuine class out wide. Front row is a worry though and they'll be hoping to see less of the silly errors and poor judgement calls that have plagued their national and domestic teams in recent matches.

I don't think we'll see a slam this year, but Ireland to nick the title with an extra bonus point over England:

Ireland - 11
England - 10
Scotland - 9
France - 7
Wales - 6
Italy - 3

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I think it'll be between England, Ireland and France for the title with France third favourite. Hopefully it comes to down to the game in Dublin between Ireland and England for the title. I want England to break New Zealand's record for unbeaten games but i'm a fan Joe Schmidt and what he's done with Ireland has been brilliant and would be content if they won the championship. Last year's Six Nations and Rugby Championship tournaments were one horse races, let's hope for a change this year.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Italy will surely improve under O'Shea but may still struggle against the improved stronger nations. I think they will be targeting this first game with Wales as their best opportunity. If the Welsh aren't on form, we might see an upset here but I reckon it'll be a tough couple of months for the Azurri.
I was thinking the same about this one, not sure how possible it is but I'd like to see it. Helps that we'd have them up next after it, hopefully with them having used up every ounce of energy the previous week :D

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I hope Aussie ref Angus Gardner has a good game at Twickenham tomorrow. He's a quality, young up and coming ref who refereed some Ireland vs Italy, South Africa vs Ireland and New Zealand vs South Africa quiet well last year.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I hope Aussie ref Angus Gardner has a good game at Twickenham tomorrow. He's a quality, young up and coming ref who refereed some Ireland vs Italy, South Africa vs Ireland and New Zealand vs South Africa quiet well last year.
That's interesting, I can't imagine being too bothered about an Irish ref being involved in match somewhere else around the world. Is that an Australian thing? I'm just wondering from the point of view of whether Eddie Jones would feel the same was as you about it?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
That's interesting, I can't imagine being too bothered about an Irish ref being involved in match somewhere else around the world. Is that an Australian thing? I'm just wondering from the point of view of whether Eddie Jones would feel the same was as you about it?
I don't think it's an Aussie thing per se although i'm sure the ARU wishes him well. We haven't had a ref come from Australia and make it as a decent ref in international rugby since Stu Dickinson, who retired five years ago and Peter Marshall who retired way more than a decade ago. I also think he's a good ref and don't want to see his burgeoning career hit a road block in a big games such as this. We have refs who make it in Super Rugby but can't make it to the point where World Rugby gives Aussie refs major test matches because they're just not goo enough. Angus Gardner could be that man if he keeps improving. Nigel Owens and Jerome Garces, who in my view are two of the better refs can't ref forever so if there are good, young up and coming refs coming through, that can't be a bad thing.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Ah yes, this is when all the fat little bitches put their daffodil hats on and invade all the pubs screeching like dying harpies and shouting "COME ON THE BOYS!" and "COME ON SHANE!" even though he's been retired for years. Can't wait.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I don't think it's an Aussie thing per se although i'm sure the ARU wishes him well. We haven't had a ref come from Australia and make it as a decent ref in international rugby since Stu Dickinson, who retired five years ago and Peter Marshall who retired way more than a decade ago. I also think he's a good ref and don't want to see his burgeoning career hit a road block in a big games such as this. We have refs who make it in Super Rugby but can't make it to the point where World Rugby gives Aussie refs major test matches because they're just not goo enough. Angus Gardner could be that man if he keeps improving. Nigel Owens and Jerome Garces, who in my view are two of the better refs can't ref forever so if there are good, young up and coming refs coming through, that can't be a bad thing.
Fair enough, thanks for the insight! Rugby is lucky to have the few top-class refs it does, and the more the merrier really.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Not Six Nations related but former Springbok scrumhalf, Joost Van Der Westhuizen, has been rushed to hospital in a 'critical' condition. He was diagnosed with MND in 2011. Most MND sufferers pass away between 2-5 years post receiving the diagnosis, Joost has had the disease for more than five years now. While one never wants to fear the worst, Joost may not have long left :(.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Not Six Nations related but former Springbok scrumhalf, Joost Van Der Westhuizen, has been rushed to hospital in a 'critical' condition. He was diagnosed with MND in 2011. Most MND sufferers pass away between 2-5 years post receiving the diagnosis, Joost has had the disease for more than five years now. While one never wants to fear the worst, Joost may not have long left :(.
Very sad to hear. The 1995 world cup was the first one I was old enough to be properly into. Horrible disease.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Any good articles previewing the key men/teams in general?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Vernie has transformed Scotland.

JPRouve

Scout
Feckin hell. This Six Nations isn't going to disappoint, is it? :D

Hoping Ireland can turn this around but they'll have to wake up. It would have been rough justice for Ireland to score off that breakaway before the end.
Who did Ireland destroyed in one half in the last tournaments? I remember a game where they were bad in the first half and unplayable in the second.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Right, i was hoping the Ireland vs England game would be a grand slam decider. That idea is looking very shaky at half time.

JPRouve

Scout
Paddy Jackson looks like how I imagine Cina.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Ireland should have definitely won that one.

Wayne's World

A reality check for the Irish lads, far too many penalties and gave themselves to much to do after the first half.....

England's to lose now

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Shite. Well done Scotland, particularly for pulling it back once Ireland eeked ahead.