Rugby 2017 Discussion

Rooney1987

So this is confirmed now. Absolute joke and as a Welshman this is embarrassing. Cory Hill is not good enough for international rugby let alone a lions tour. Dacey is a decent player but a lion in NZ. Mental.
Pick 2 Scottish players too. Mainly as Wales and Scotland are close. Which makes Cory Hill selection even worse as he was picked over the Grey brothers.

freeurmind

weak willed
Great performance by the Boks, showing that last week's performance wasn't a fluke. Mostert and Kolisi were particularly impressive. Hopefully, this is a sign of better days to come.

diarm

Looks like Erasmus is going to leave Munster. On the cards really when he was non-commital towards the end of the season,but a pity all the same. Guided them through a very, very tough period.
I'll be pretty pissed off if he leaves now after saying he was definitely staying back in April.

I obviously don't mind a man leaving to answer the call of his national side but if he was going, he should have been upfront about it then and given us time to recruit his replacement.

My preference would be Nienaber to take over as head coach with Flannery and Jones stepping up and a more experienced DoR coming in over them. Would be the least disruptive outcome at this stage.

Rog has already said he's not coming home until he thinks he's a good enough coach and in his own words, that's a long way off yet. Can see him taking a couple more jobs before Munster including maybe a stint in the southern hemisphere if he can get it.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'll be pretty pissed off if he leaves now after saying he was definitely staying back in April.

I obviously don't mind a man leaving to answer the call of his national side but if he was going, he should have been upfront about it then and given us time to recruit his replacement.

My preference would be Nienaber to take over as head coach with Flannery and Jones stepping up and a more experienced DoR coming in over them. Would be the least disruptive outcome at this stage.

Rog has already said he's not coming home until he thinks he's a good enough coach and in his own words, that's a long way off yet. Can see him taking a couple more jobs before Munster including maybe a stint in the southern hemisphere if he can get it.
Yeah, can't see him coming back yet, he seems a realist. Following the career path you mentioned would be great for everyone and show typical determination from him.

On Rassie, I didn't realise the April thing, I'd only read the articles where he was humming and hawing. This next coaching decision is crucial for Munster to stay out of the doldrums and keep the gains they've made.

SqueakyWeasel

Haskell cleans out the ball at the ruck and Great feet by Nowell goes over to put the Lions out of sight! Wish I'd have seen this all the way through as it seems that the Lions have totally demoralised one of the best club sides in the Southern Hemisphere. All-be-it depleted of their international players!

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Haskell cleans out the ball at the ruck and Great feet by Nowell goes over to put the Lions out of sight! Wish I'd have seen this all the way through as it seems that the Lions have totally demoralised one of the best club sides in the Southern Hemisphere. All-be-it depleted of their international players!
Chiefs lineout demoralised themselves too. Another try!

JoaquinJoaquin

Not Lions related but Sale have signed James O'Connor. Good signing for them. He needs to get his head down though.

diarm

Laidlaw cementing his position as 3rd choice scrumhalf.
I'd be sending him home with the Welsh schoolboy selection and keeping Davies on to be honest. He was brutal again today.

Other than Rory Bests standard lineout meltdown in the second half, everyone else was excellent. Particularly impressed with Cole, Lawes, Haskell, Daly and Williams.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'd be sending him home with the Welsh schoolboy selection and keeping Davies on to be honest. He was brutal again today.

Other than Rory Bests standard lineout meltdown in the second half, everyone else was excellent. Particularly impressed with Cole, Lawes, Haskell, Daly and Williams.
You know what, maybe that's why another scrumhalf was brought on after all - perhaps Laidlaw has been brutal in training too for the whole tour.

tomaldinho1

Coupled with his confused looks at the ref as if the ball was dead straight!

I thought Cole was excellent today, Lawes + Daly will on bench. Lawes a great option to come on if we are winning or losing because he's an animal in defence. Daly a great option to cover most positions.

diarm

Coupled with his confused looks at the ref as if the ball was dead straight!

I thought Cole was excellent today, Lawes + Daly will on bench. Lawes a great option to come on if we are winning or losing because he's an animal in defence. Daly a great option to cover most positions.
I think Lawes should bench but wont. I never really rated him before (always thought he was a talented liability) but he's been superb on this tour. Was one of the few to hold his head up high in those early midweek matches and has been a consistent menace throughout.

Gatland putting him back on after the HIA today though, coupled with Jones being hooked immediately means the Welshman will be on the bench for Saturday I reckon.

I'd say we're looking at:

Vunipola George Furlong
Kruis Itoje
O'Mahony Faletau O'Brien
Murray Farrell
North Te'o Davies Watson
Halfpenny

McGrath, Owens, Sinckler, Jones, Warburton, Webb, Sexton, Daly
Only question marks really are whether he starts Warburton ahead of either O'Mahony or O'Brien and whether he goes balls out with Sexton and Farrell together. I don't think he will at this stage.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'd say we're looking at:

Vunipola George Furlong
Kruis Itoje
O'Mahony Faletau O'Brien
Murray Farrell
North Te'o Davies Watson
Halfpenny

Only question marks really are whether he starts Warburton ahead of either O'Mahony or O'Brien and whether he goes balls out with Sexton and Farrell together. I don't think he will at this stage.
Pretty much agree with that. North is under a bit of pressure from today, but Williams and Nowell have both had poor performances in the tour too before today. Halfpenny is a dead cert due to Farrell's dodgy kicking. Expect Sexton to get game time in the first test for sure. Warburton is one there that could put a spanner in the works if Gatland goes with his old boys rather than form players.

Rooney1987

Pretty much agree with that. North is under a bit of pressure from today, but Williams and Nowell have both had poor performances in the tour too before today. Halfpenny is a dead cert due to Farrell's dodgy kicking. Expect Sexton to get game time in the first test for sure. Warburton is one there that could put a spanner in the works if Gatland goes with his old boys rather than form players.
Before this game North was in by default as outside of Watson no other winger was playing well. However I thought Nowell/Daly both play well today so it'll be interesting if North starts. 15 is interesting too, with Sexton/Farrell in my opinion you don't need Halfpenny kicking but before this tour he was nowhere near my 23 but to be fair he has played well this tour but I have concerns with him going forward. Williams would be my pick as in 6N he was excellent but that's too late now it'll be Halfpenny.

For me if Farrell is fit which Gatland said he is, he has to play, I know Te'o has played very well but I still go Sexton/Farrell at 10/12. On kicking I think Farrell is a world class kicker, one he missed few games back maybe it's me but he was hobbling before taking the kick, think he was injured.

Back row it's got to be POM/O'Brien at 6/7 with Tipuric on bench. I don't think Warburton is a good impact sub and the 2 Irish lads have outperformed him. Sadly I think Gatland will start Warburton/O'Brien. Same goes for 2nd row AWJ no way should be close to 23 I know he's a good leader but I'd rather the better players but I think Gats will start him.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Before this game North was in by default as outside of Watson no other winger was playing well. However I thought Nowell/Daly both play well today so it'll be interesting if North starts. 15 is interesting too, with Sexton/Farrell in my opinion you don't need Halfpenny kicking but before this tour he was nowhere near my 23 but to be fair he has played well this tour but I have concerns with him going forward. Williams would be my pick as in 6N he was excellent but that's too late now it'll be Halfpenny.

For me if Farrell is fit which Gatland said he is, he has to play, I know Te'o has played very well but I still go Sexton/Farrell at 10/12. On kicking I think Farrell is a world class kicker, one he missed few games back maybe it's me but he was hobbling before taking the kick, think he was injured.

Back row it's got to be POM/O'Brien at 6/7 with Tipuric on bench. I don't think Warburton is a good impact sub and the 2 Irish lads have outperformed him. Sadly I think Gatland will start Warburton/O'Brien. Same goes for 2nd row AWJ no way should be close to 23 I know he's a good leader but I'd rather the better players but I think Gats will start him.
Farrell's going to start now, and Farrell has kicking flubs. I don't think he's world class at the minute - he's had two flubs this tour and that really weird one in the 6N against Italy when Italy were still in that match. If he was injured, he should never have taken that kick - that ego is a bit of a concern then too. I just don't trust him kicking in high stakes situations at the moment. Halfpenny is much more reliable at the moment so he'll be in. Williams definitely in with a shout for the later matches. It'll be really interesting to see if Sexton plays too. Word is too that POM is going to be named captain - great stuff.

tomaldinho1

Vunipola George Furlong
Kruis Itoje
O'Mahony Faletau O'Brien
Murray Farrell
North Te'o Davies Watson
Halfpenny

Pretty similar to what I'd like to see although I think North looks off the pace and I would like to see Tipuric in there, although he'd have to play 6 given SOB must start.

I think Gatland feels the best chance to shut down Savea is to have North opposite him - basically like Folau/North from 4 years ago.

diarm

Pretty similar to what I'd like to see although I think North looks off the pace and I would like to see Tipuric in there, although he'd have to play 6 given SOB must start.

I think Gatland feels the best chance to shut down Savea is to have North opposite him - basically like Folau/North from 4 years ago.
That side is what I think Gatland will pick. If I was the selector I'd go for:

Vunipola George Furlong
Kruis Itoje
O'Mahony Faletau O'Brien
Murray Sexton
North Farrell Joseph Daly
Williams

McGrath, Owens, Sinckler, Lawes, Stander, Webb, Joseph, Watson​

diarm

SBW, Crotty is interesting at 12 and 13. Don't think I've seen them play together before.

You'd also have to wonder if Kaino, Read and Ben Smith are all 100% fit. As weird as it is to say it, the back row is definitely an area we should be attacking because of doubts over their two world class players fitness and Sam Can who is a good, but not great player.

It's a frighteningly strong 23 (any side who can leave Savea and Milner Skudder out completely is ridiculous) but it's not as strong as 12 years ago and this Lions team will be much stronger than we were back then.

I think it'll be competitive and if the Lions are going to have a shot at this series, they need to win this first one.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
New Zealand
15. Ben Smith, 14. Israel Dagg, 13. Sonny Bill Williams, 12. Ryan Crotty, 11. Rieko Ioane, 10. Beauden Barrett, 9. Aaron Smith; 1. Joe Moody, 2. Codie Taylor, 3. Owen Franks, 4. Brodie Retallick, 5. Sam Whitelock, 6. Jerome Kaino, 7. Sam Cane, 8. Kieran Read (captain).
Replacements: 16. Nathan Harris, 17. Wyatt Crockett, 18. Charlie Faumuina, 19. Scott Barrett, 20. Ardie Savea, 21. TJ Perenara, 22. Aaron Cruden/Lima Sopoaga, 23. Anton Lienert-Brown.