Rugby 2018 Discussion

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
So for the 2nd year in a row a controversial decision by a French ref defines a series deciding test.
Which one? :lol:

Surely not that last one. Maybe the last penalty that Sexton kicked. I think Ireland could have easily had a penalty try and Folau a yellow for a deliberate knockon about 5mins from the end.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Which one? :lol:

Surely not that last one. Maybe the last penalty that Sexton kicked. I think Ireland could have easily had a penalty try and Folau a yellow for a deliberate knockon about 5mins from the end.
I'm more disappointed with penalty against Tolu Latu. The last one has left many fans here angry but I'm not convinced Stockdale touched the ball. Pocock played a straight bat when asked about the officials, Cheika won't do the same.

diarm

What a game! Great character from an exhausted Irish side in that second half! Incredible series and you couldn't have begrudged Australia the win if they'd pinched it at the end. They're a hell of a team and one we'd love to avoid for as long as possible in next years world cup.

Is there an argument to be made for Standers best position being 6? He was my motm by a mile today and hasn't shown for Ireland that well since he moved to 8. Impossible to drop O'Mahony but it's still a point to note.

That Australian substitute front row is a terrifying prospect!

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'm more disappointed with penalty against Tolu Latu. The last one has left many fans here angry but I'm not convinced Stockdale touched the ball. Pocock played a straight bat when asked about the officials, Cheika won't do the same.
Yeah, they thought it was possibly harsh here too. The thing is though, Ireland were still ahead and had momentum back on their side.

Cheika can moan all he wants. Ireland definitely missed out on a few penalties that should have been given their way, and cards.

diarm

It'll be disappointing if Cheika and the Oz press or fans show sour grapes after such a great tour. In each of the last two tries there were legitimate calls for Irish penalty tries and subsequent yellow cards for Australian players not given. When compared to the penalty try and card for Healy last week at the first given opportunity, it certainly showed an inconsistency.

We were on the receiving end of a few favourable decisions as well but overall they evened each other out. To suggest either side was handed victory by the officials does a disservice to such a superbly competitive and well fought series.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
It'll be disappointing if Cheika and the Oz press or fans show sour grapes after such a great tour. In each of the last two tries there were legitimate calls for Irish penalty tries and subsequent yellow cards for Australian players not given. When compared to the penalty try and card for Healy last week at the first given opportunity, it certainly showed an inconsistency.

We were on the receiving end of a few favourable decisions as well but overall they evened each other out. To suggest either side was handed victory by the officials does a disservice to such a superbly competitive and well fought series.
This one should stop any complaint that Aus were denied anything. We should definitely have gotten penalty try plus yellow on the basis of what happened just 7 days ago.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Hmmmm Cheika really down there. Hope he keeps that dignified approach in the coming days but on past evidence he'll have a moan on Monday.
On the free to air broadcaster here Chikea mentioned ''things that aren't our responsibility'' costing them. He did push the idea that he wants a no excuses culture though.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Phil Kearns is best ignored anyway. He's infuriatingly one eyed when the Waratahs play so i have sympathy to those listening to him when the Wallabies play.

diarm

Phil Kearns is best ignored anyway. He's infuriatingly one eyed when the Waratahs play so i have sympathy to those listening to him when the Wallabies play.
In fairness, we're in no position to criticise other countries pundits or commentators given the shower of shite we've subjected the sports watching world to. Between Quinlan and that other gobshite this morning, through George Hook, Luke Fiztgerald and Neil Francis before we even touch on football and the aural sodomy of Dunphy, Brady and Giles.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
In fairness, we're in no position to criticise other countries pundits or commentators given the shower of shite we've subjected the sports watching world to. Between Quinlan and that other gobshite this morning, through George Hook, Luke Fiztgerald and Neil Francis before we even touch on football and the aural sodomy of Dunphy, Brady and Giles.
Impartiality seems to be thrown out the window. these days. I remember when i was watching the Ireland vs Australia game in Dublin in 2016 waiting for the commentators to realise that their commentary wasn't just for an Irish audience, it went around the world, it was the commentary we had in Australia.

The free to air commentators here, Gordon Bray, Nathan Sharpe and Matthew Burke are pretty good although Burke can be heard barracking in the background from time to time.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I've been sitting in the sun with beer and barbecue for the last few hours and I still can't wrap my head around how Ireland won that game. :lol: Surely one that Australia will think was one lost rather than Ireland won. They ground it out in relentless fashion despite being second best for a lot of the second half.

Best Irish team ever? I think it's very possible. They've a winning game plan, great killer instinct, great individual moments when it matters and great results.

Green_Red

I've been sitting in the sun with beer and barbecue for the last few hours and I still can't wrap my head around how Ireland won that game. :lol: Surely one that Australia will think was one lost rather than Ireland won. They ground it out in relentless fashion despite being second best for a lot of the second half.

Best Irish team ever? I think it's very possible. They've a winning game plan, great killer instinct, great individual moments when it matters and great results.
The ref could have been better.

Second half Australia were dominant for about 30 mins but then ran out of steam, Ireland just about kept them out, but there was some sloppy play from Ireland, a couple of daft penalties.

I dont think best Irish ever team, that 09 team was probably a better team, but this team are very efficient, there arent many weaknesses in that starting XV. This Australian team isnt exactly one of their best ever either.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
England 25 South Africa 10. England were worthy winners on a dank, wet day at Newlands. They made less mistakes, had better discipline and kept the scoreboard ticking over nicely.

diarm

The ref could have been better.

Second half Australia were dominant for about 30 mins but then ran out of steam, Ireland just about kept them out, but there was some sloppy play from Ireland, a couple of daft penalties.

I dont think best Irish ever team, that 09 team was probably a better team, but this team are very efficient, there arent many weaknesses in that starting XV. This Australian team isnt exactly one of their best ever either.
There's no way that 2009 side could have lost our starting hooker, a starting lock, first, second, third and fourth choice opensides (plus OMahony for an hour) and our two best outside centres and still been even remotely competitive away to Australia.

The 1979 side is probably a better bet but realistically, Irish rugby has never been in this good shape before.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Some people here still not happy with the refereeing. I'm going to refrain from complaining about the officials. You've got 80 minutes to win a game; if you're good enough, you'll win. It's not as if one team only got the rough end of the stick.

Greg Clark from Fox Sports wanted Wayne Barnes to referee all three tests. Clarkie being the human stat-sheet he is would know that the Wallabies went 9 years without losing under Barnes so maybe that was his motive. I personally wanted Nigel Owens and Jerome Garces involved in the series. World Rugby rate both of them highly and the Wallabies need to start winning under those blokes, this series would have been a good start.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
hopefully the media crusade to oust Dan Cole from tight head for England is over, he is still by far and a way the best at the scrum we have in that position and if he offers a little less in open play so be it he is great at the breakdown and set piece

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So for the 2nd year in a row a controversial decision by a French ref defines a series deciding test.
To be fair, french ref are as shite as the players and everyone knows it.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Not much rugby chat since the end of the June series, but the chat in Australia at the moment is all about the desire to see a change to the red card system.

By the way, the incident below from the Reds vs Sunwolves match was deemed a red card. Glad my Reds won their last game of the season but that surely can't be a red card.

While this 2nd incident from the same game was deemed yellow when many felt it warranted red.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Not much rugby chat since the end of the June series, but the chat in Australia at the moment is all about the desire to see a change to the red card system.

By the way, the incident below from the Reds vs Sunwolves match was deemed a red card. Glad my Reds won their last game of the season but that surely can't be a red card.

While this 2nd incident from the same game was deemed yellow when many felt it warranted red.

What's going on? I see someone grabbing the guy on the floor's headgear? Is that it? I'm not strictly against that if it is. Acting the bollocks red card. It looks to me like he's pulling at his headgear to distract him from retaining the ball.

Second one is 100% red card in NH now surely. Shoulder contact to head. It's even worse because the guy is prone and unprotected. It's a sickening hit. Has he been cited?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
What's going on? I see someone grabbing the guy on the floor's headgear? Is that it? I'm not strictly against that if it is. Acting the bollocks red card. It looks to me like he's pulling at his headgear to distract him from retaining the ball.

Second one is 100% red card in NH now surely. Shoulder contact to head. It's even worse because the guy is prone and unprotected. It's a sickening hit. Has he been cited?
Here's a better view of the red card that left many unhappy. Right at the start is where the issue is. The ref said he had no option so i suppose unless he's stuffed up, by law he's probably right.

Regarding the yellow card that ought to have been red from a previous post, i expect Caleb Timu, the player in question, to be cited.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Here's a better view of the red card that left many unhappy. Right at the start is where the issue is. The ref said he had no option so i suppose unless he's stuffed up, by law he's probably right.

Regarding the yellow card that ought to have been red from a previous post, i expect Caleb Timu, the player in question, to be cited.

Still a knobish thing to do though. Perhaps not red card worthy but he can't complain too much

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
After the Dunedin based Highlanders beat the Melbourne Rebels on Saturday, a result which went some way to ensuring the Rebels missed the super rugby finals, Rebels teammates Amanaki Mafi and Lopeti Timani had an altercation later that evening. Below is the result of what happened to Timani's face.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
After the Dunedin based Highlanders beat the Melbourne Rebels on Saturday, a result which went some way to ensuring the Rebels missed the super rugby finals, Rebels teammates Amanaki Mafi and Lopeti Timani had an altercation later that evening. Below is the result of what happened to Timani's face.

What caused it??

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
What caused it??
Both players went out drinking, defying instructions from their coach. It has been revealed that Mafi and Timani were close mates before the stoush. Timani and Mafi are heading overseas, so their last act as Rebels players may well have seen them sacked anyway.

It has now been revealed that Amanaki Mafi had punched teammate Marika Koroibete earlier this season.

Zoo

This is sad, what a player and captain he was. Wales are stacked with quality back row options but he will be missed.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Both players went out drinking, defying instructions from their coach. It has been revealed that Mafi and Timani were close mates before the stoush. Timani and Mafi are heading overseas, so their last act as Rebels players may well have seen them sacked anyway.

It has now been revealed that Amanaki Mafi had punched teammate Marika Koroibete earlier this season.
Are they close mates after? Yeesh.

diarm

Very disappointing for Sam Warburton retiring so early. What a special player he has been for Wales and the Lions.