Rugby 2018 Discussion

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Good well balanced article here from Guscott on Farrell and that tackle. I like the way he's broken down the movement on the pitch prior to the tackle and what led to the collision occurring in the way that it did..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/46090134

As an English rugby fan I've been slow to embrace Farrell and doubt I completely will. I don't like the way he comes across and think he has a snide and petulant side to him that affects his split decision making sometimes. I regard that sort of thing as a serious character flaw and one that can cost your team. It doesn't help of course that he has followed Wilkinson who epitomised the hard but unscrupulously fair player and is regarded as a genuinely likeable chap whatever colour shirt you cheer.

Last edited:

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I saw in a tweet there earlier that apparently there was an ex-England player who did a radio interview early last week where he said Farrell leads with a high shoulder and is likely to get red-carded some day under the new rules :nervous:
Andy Goode...

Pre cog from him there. Reckons Farrell should've been yellowed but not cited.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Matt Dawson saying #notformykids. I see Kyran Bracken also comments on the tweet after this that he retired because of concussion and big hits. I only played for a few years and I got 2 concussions and broken bones. One of them was in a training session where someone simply didn't like me playing well and walloped me. The other was a knee in the face from my bad tackle technique in a match. There were a crazy number of serious broken bones the year I finished playing. It mostly came down to inevitable results from bad coaching in tackling, rucks and scrums. I don't know how it is nowadays but I imagine that year there were a lot of parents who heard about this stuff and thought twice about involving their kids.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Something I misunderstood there about the citing situation - they can only act if they deem it a red card offense? It's getting lost in the narrative here and making World Rugby look doubly bad for seemingly condoning this tackle (which isn't the case). They need to clear up the situation fast or a lot of players are going to be feeling aggrieved about cards they got.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Matt Dawson saying #notformykids. I see Kyran Bracken also comments on the tweet after this that he retired because of concussion and big hits. I only played for a few years and I got 2 concussions and broken bones. One of them was in a training session where someone simply didn't like me playing well and walloped me. The other was a knee in the face from my bad tackle technique in a match. There were a crazy number of serious broken bones the year I finished playing. It mostly came down to inevitable results from bad coaching in tackling, rucks and scrums. I don't know how it is nowadays but I imagine that year there were a lot of parents who heard about this stuff and thought twice about involving their kids.
It’s definitely a contentious subject for parents I know. A lot of them have decided they don’t want their kids playing rugby, despite playing themselves.

Doesn’t help when we have days like last Monday where two kids turned up to my 9 year old’s class on crutches after rugby matches over the weekend, with another lad still at home after getting concussed.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
In general, the consensus is delight and that we don't have a B team anymore. This is all without a ball being kicked of course, and it could all go horribly wrong, but that's probably unlikely and instead it seems like the culmination of years of squad building by Schmidt and the provinces. Leinster are the key drivers at club level at the moment but the other provinces are also providing key squad members, which is a great situation. It's not that long ago that my team, Connacht, hadn't provided an international player in almost a decade.

I think we were delighted years ago too with the one or two world class players pushing on decent squads to great results, but this seems another level. We arguably have great depth everywhere bar scrum-half at the moment, as well as a production line of young players coming through.

On a gossip note, I see that the rumours are still flying around that Cronin punched Henshaw in a training session and he won't start for Ireland again while Schmidt is coach. We'll have to wait and see.
Didn't he come on late in the game?

diarm

I only played for a few years and I got 2 concussions and broken bones. One of them was in a training session where someone simply didn't like me playing well and walloped me. The other was a knee in the face from my bad tackle technique in a match. There were a crazy number of serious broken bones the year I finished playing. It mostly came down to inevitable results from bad coaching in tackling, rucks and scrums. I don't know how it is nowadays but I imagine that year there were a lot of parents who heard about this stuff and thought twice about involving their kids.
I played from the age of 5 to my second year of college (when I had to quit because work were going to fire me if I didn't stop coming in bloodied and bruised). Didn't play again for ten years but decided to try and get back into it when I was living in Singapore a couple of years ago as a way to meet people and keep fit. I really enjoyed the first few preseason training sessions, working on fitness and some handling skills until about 3 weeks in we started with some contact.

The first time I stepped over a ruck to steal a ball, I was hit by what I can only imagine stepping in front of a train feels like. I've broken and hurt all sorts of stuff playing rugby but that was the first time I've ever been genuinely frightened on the field. In fairness the fella who went through me had been playing Currie Cup rugby the season before but in general, the collisions during the few weeks I stuck it out before saying "feck this" were of a different sport to the one I remembered.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Ah that couldn't be. I mean if you were told you won't start again as long as I'm manager would you stick around?
He might have been told he's On Report or something. Actually, I think I'm going to stop talking about it til something more solid comes out because it seems to be total rumours.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
He might have been told he's On Report or something. Actually, I think I'm going to stop talking about it til something more solid comes out because it seems to be total rumours.
Yeah to be honest with Rory Best injured I would've pretty much wrapped Cronin in cotton wool until a bigger game so I'm surprised he got game time at all. That said I see nothing about this bust up either and I'm sure they happen all the time in rugby. It's such a physical game.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If SA won on Saturday, what price England and their supporters would have posed a question or two about this tackle from RG Snyman and Thomas Du Toit?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
England have named their team to play New Zealand at Twickenham on Saturday.

C'mon England! Ugg, i can't believe i just wrote that!

New Zealand: 1. Karl Tu'inukuafe 2. Codie Taylor 3. Owen Franks
4. Sam Whitelock 5.Brodie Retallick 6. Liam Squire 7. Ardie Savea
8. Kieran Read (C) 9. Aaron Smith 10. Beauden Barrett11. Rieko Ioane 12. Sonny Bill Williams 13. Jack Goodhue 14. Ben Smith 15. Damian McKenzie

16. Dane Coles 17. Ofa Tuungafasi 18. Nepo Laulala 19. Scott Barrett 20. Matt Todd 21. TJ Perenara 22. Richie Mo'unga 23. Ryan Crotty

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

If Wales are smart, they'll provoke Latu into getting himself sin binned for a 3rd consecutive test. Talk about an unwanted hat trick. The back row is better, but not ideal and not going to change for the better while Cheika is infatuated with Michael Hooper.

Wales last win against Australia was in 2008. Australia have won 13 straight vs Wales since then. Hopefully 13 straight wins becomes 14 straight. Wales will never get a better chance to break their drought against the Wallabies.

Last edited:

kidbob

Larmour starts for Ireland. Big moment for him. Kearney and Ringrose out injured apparently.

Argentina are also playing a 21 yr old winger

Fingers crossed for a cracker.
I'll take a loss here if it meant we could finally beat them in the World Cup! Only thing I disagree with Schmidt on is Marmion and McGrath over Cooney. To me it seems like Cooney might be the only one of the three that could provide adequate cover for Murray if he's out (praying he'll be fit again soon). McGrath particularly hasn't shown anywhere near as much for Ireland as he has in a Leinster shirt but even on club form I'd have Cooney as the best after Murray at the moment.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'll take a loss here if it meant we could finally beat them in the World Cup! Only thing I disagree with Schmidt on is Marmion and McGrath over Cooney. To me it seems like Cooney might be the only one of the three that could provide adequate cover for Murray if he's out (praying he'll be fit again soon). McGrath particularly hasn't shown anywhere near as much for Ireland as he has in a Leinster shirt but even on club form I'd have Cooney as the best after Murray at the moment.
McGrath is really not grabbing his opportunity I think. Marmion is trusted now because he's done a great job for the squad when called on, even out of position. We know how much Schmidt values that. Cooney is an interesting one - I like him because he used to be at Connacht and he's a kicker too which is a bonus. I'd have given him the bench slot.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
A bit of getting excuses in early there! What's that about? Surely they can be very confident going into this match.
It seems like a number of Kiwis have not forgiven Jerome Garces for the role he played in the controversial finish to last year's Lions series. Monsieur Garces is pinpointed as the man who talked Romain Poite into changing his mind over the decision Poite made to give NZ a penalty for offside late in the 3rd test.

It's not uncommon to hear folks from NZ say ''take the ref out of the equation'' or words along those lines. England were spirited and determined last week especially in 2nd half but they showed nothing that'll leave the All Blacks quaking in their boots. If the All Blacks do get rolled, their coaching staff and their players will probably look at themselves and not the ref. They'll leave the whinging to some in their media.

Offsideagain

Yeah, an almost universally grim reaction around the place as far as I see it. Some over the top ones too: "Gus Gardner has single-handedly thrown the tackle laws up in the air".
Ooooh some sour tasting grapes here. The Referee who remember is the soul arbiter of the Laws and after referring it to the TMO said it was a legal tackle. End of story. If he had not he would have been scrutinised by the media for some of the shocking stuff the Boks were dealing out.
In the meantime, Danny Cipriani gets a ban because an Irishman ran into him and fell as he was hitting Cipriani on the arm. A shocking decision that wouldn’t have happened if it was the other way around for sure.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Ooooh some sour tasting grapes here. The Referee who remember is the soul arbiter of the Laws and after referring it to the TMO said it was a legal tackle. End of story. If he had not he would have been scrutinised by the media for some of the shocking stuff the Boks were dealing out.
In the meantime, Danny Cipriani gets a ban because an Irishman ran into him and fell as he was hitting Cipriani on the arm. A shocking decision that wouldn’t have happened if it was the other way around for sure.
Who's got the sour grapes then? :lol:

I've no problem with World Rugby making an issue of contact with the head because there are just too many stories of ex-players now having very serious health issues related to concussions. I do think it is a problem that Farrell got away with this tackle in the face of that push to crack down on head contact. Up to now, officials have been erring very much on the side of the law this year and this instance doesn't match up with the precedent that's been set lately. I think it's right to err on that side to instigate a cultural change in relation to tackling, and that this incident is a setback.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Brian O'Driscoll has changed his mind... he says he didn't actually understand the law.
https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/1109/1009855-owen-farrell-tackle-odriscoll-ireland-sexton-jones/

However, the former Ireland skipper has had a re-think and now believes that Farrell was a lucky man.

"I backed the referee's call immediately after the game, and I've actually revised that thought," he told reporters at a Guinness event.

"I actually didn’t understand it, and as a pundit maybe it's a disgrace, but I actually thought if it's an attempted wrap with the non-tackling shoulder that would suffice.

"But it doesn't. There has to be a wrap with the tackling shoulder.

"So you can't hold one arm down. Now that action in itself is not easy.

"But I stand corrected there on the basis that it obviously is a penalty."

kidbob

How do you know it wouldn't have happened the other way around? Have you any basis to think that England receive bad calls from a ref more than other nations do?

kidbob

McGrath is really not grabbing his opportunity I think. Marmion is trusted now because he's done a great job for the squad when called on, even out of position. We know how much Schmidt values that. Cooney is an interesting one - I like him because he used to be at Connacht and he's a kicker too which is a bonus. I'd have given him the bench slot.
Yeah i'd definitely have Cooney ahead of McGrath and ditto for Marmion at the moment too. Maybe Schmidt is thinking that McGrath is more beneficial simply because he plays with Sexton and a lot of the other Irish backline. Still I'd prefer Cooney get a chance on current form.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Yeah i'd definitely have Cooney ahead of McGrath and ditto for Marmion at the moment too. Maybe Schmidt is thinking that McGrath is more beneficial simply because he plays with Sexton and a lot of the other Irish backline. Still I'd prefer Cooney get a chance on current form.
I hope that Cooney does get his chance in a meaningful match. It'd be a pity if he misses out on his shot because he's earned it.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Where's the sour grapes on my part?

Zen

England at +14 ...... Surely that's incredibly kind, even when truly out of form they've been upping it for the GOAT contending NZ 4-6 years ago. But then again, it's NZ.

Underdog double? United + England +10 alternative. Over before the Derby comes round!

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
England have started very well.

For one time and one time only, come on England!

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
This why NZ are so good. They played well for about 7 minutes and it's a 5 point gap going into half time and they have all the momentum.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This why NZ are so good. They played well for about 7 minutes and it's a 5 point gap going into half time and they have all the momentum.
Maybe, but thats all on Farrell.