Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
How am I supposed to dislike/want this bloke to fail when he coaches the All Blacks in the next World Cup cycle.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
New Zealand 23 Australia 20. Gutted. They were there for the taking but the Wallabies forgot that rugby is an 80 minute game.

Last edited:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
This post on the ''Green and Gold rugby'' forum claims that Richie Mo'unga took 11 seconds longer than permitted over his match winning penalty in Dunedin. That stings when you think back to Bernard Foley getting pinged (correctly as per the laws) for taking to long to kick for touch from a penalty when the Wallabies were protecting a 37-34 lead in Melbourne last year. World Rugby are either serious about eradicating timewasting or they're not.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
This post on the ''Green and Gold rugby'' forum claims that Richie Mo'unga took 11 seconds longer than permitted over his match winning penalty in Dunedin. That stings when you think back to Bernard Foley getting pinged (correctly as per the laws) for taking to long to kick for touch from a penalty when the Wallabies were protecting a 37-34 lead in Melbourne last year. World Rugby are either serious about eradicating timewasting or they're not.
I'm not finding much chatter on Twitter about this.

(I am not calling it fecking X :lol: )

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I think if Cokanasiga plays in the World Cup, he night get peppered with kicks. Smith looks so inventive - his distribution is superb

Dan_F

I think if Cokanasiga plays in the World Cup, he night get peppered with kicks. Smith looks so inventive - his distribution is superb
Yeah it’s always been his weakness. Adds a lot with ball in hand though.

Edit. I can’t see him being close to a starter though.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I don’t get his selection. Borthwick is such a pragmatist about the kicking game…then picks Big Joe who bless the bastard is absolutely useless in the air defensively and can’t kick for shit. Baffling

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Well, that is quite an interesting result.
Was anyone watching it?
Was at the gym but caught the second half. Scotland were very good and France were awful, which I’m led to believe was the polar opposite of the first half :lol:
France played essentially a B team though, and their B team is still farcically strong

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
This is about as boring and low-quality as an England Wales match can be

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
England's handling is appalling. In fact England are a frigging mess. I was glad to see the back of Jones but Borthwick has regressed this team

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
England's handling is appalling. In fact England are a frigging mess. I was glad to see the back of Jones but Borthwick has regressed this team
We’re hopeless. At least with Eddie you could lie to yourself that it was all part of his masterplan that’s come good eventually. Don’t even have that small comfort with Borthwick

Dan_F

It’s impressive to churn out these tumescent attacking performances continually. They’ve just been working together in a training camp and look like this is the first time they’ve met each other.

Have England even threatened a try yet? I certainly can’t remember them being close to the try line.

Dan_F

That TMO woman was desperate to give that try quickly :lol: Looked an obvious knock on from one replay.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
It’s impressive to churn out these tumescent attacking performances continually. They’ve just been working together in a training camp and look like this is the first time they’ve met each other.

Have England even threatened a try yet? I certainly can’t remember them being close to the try line.
Malins in the first half? Joe in the opposite corner as well

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Yeah I guess Malins did get past Wales 5m line at least. Slim pickings though.
Oh we were tumescent. The amount of 1-pop carries was unbelievable. Maddening that the times we move the ball through the hands even off relatively slow ball we look 100x more threatening. I don’t know why we’re so scared of it, maybe we fear being turned over and exposed if the game opens up. But the risk averse rugby isn’t working either, we’re just not big and powerful enough

Dan_F

Oh we were tumescent. The amount of 1-pop carries was unbelievable. Maddening that the times we move the ball through the hands even off relatively slow ball we look 100x more threatening. I don’t know why we’re so scared of it, maybe we fear being turned over and exposed if the game opens up. But the risk averse rugby isn’t working either, we’re just not big and powerful enough
Seems like whenever we do decide to do that, it gets knocked on anyway. It’s like the receiver is so surprised that someone has decided pass the ball :lol: Going to be a rough couple of months it seems.

MoskvaRed

Borthwick was a desperately poor England captain - he wasn’t even test standard. In his role as coach, I have the same sense of despondency as when Peter Moores was managing the cricket team. Management speak and third rate results.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
They were so desperate to move on from Eddie Jones who has demonstrated that he is a busted flush with Australia, they fave the job to Borthwick with little thought. The RFU is incompetent

ChrisNelson

I don’t think I’ve ever been less confident heading towards a World Cup than I am with the current squad and coach.

Hope to be proved wrong but we seem well short in all areas.

Zoo

2015 vibes with England. Not sure why Borthwick has decided to go so early naming his squad either.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
England have zero chance at the World Cup. Will get embarrassed in the Quarterfinals. Got really lucky with the draw frankly because this team can’t beat any half decent team

Offsideagain

The phrase 'under-cooked' springs to mind watching the England team. The Welsh always have that extra at Cardiff, the emotion and pride. Our forwards will be eaten alive by the South Africans unless they get some serious training in and soon. Our defence and lineout were poor and big Joe couldn't catch a dose in a brothel. The only way is up from that effort. They must do a lot better at Twickenham next week. They will get out of the group but that's about it unless Borthwick and co can work some magic.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
2 poor teams but England look horrendous.

From a Welsh perspective I thought Jac Morgan and Aaron Wainwright were brilliant. Costelow has potential but still a bit too raw. I thought we looked slick in attack at times which was surprising, we just didn’t have enough decent territory first half. Don’t expect much from us at the World Cup at all.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
New Zealand's squad for the World Cup was announced on Monday. Squad copied from rugbypass.com. Hyperlinks are insignificant - they just take you to the player's page on rugbypass's website.

All Blacks Rugby World Cup squad:

Hookers (3): Dane Coles (Hurricanes), Samisoni Taukei’aho (Chiefs) Codie Taylor (Crusaders)
Props (6): Ethan de Groot (Highlanders), Nepo Laulala (Blues), Tyrel Lomax (Hurricanes), Fletcher Newell (Crusaders), Ofa Tu’ungafasi (Blues), Tamaiti Williams (Crusaders)
Locks (4): Scott Barrett (Crusaders), Brodie Retallick (Chiefs), Tupou Vaa’i (Chiefs) Sam Whitelock (Crusaders)
Loose forwards (5): Sam Cane (Chiefs) (captain), Shannon Frizell (Highlanders), Luke Jacobson (Chiefs), Dalton Papalii (Blues), Ardie Savea (Hurricanes)
Halfbacks (3): Finlay Christie (Blues), Cam Roigard (Hurricanes), Aaron Smith (Highlanders)
First fives (3): Beauden Barrett (Blues), Damian McKenzie (Chiefs), Richie Mo’unga (Crusaders)
Midfielders (4): Jordie Barrett (Hurricanes), David Havili (Crusaders), Rieko Ioane (Blues), Anton Lienert-Brown (Chiefs)
Outside backs (5): Caleb Clarke (Blues), Leicester Fainga’anuku (Crusaders), Will Jordan (Crusaders), Emoni Narawa (Chiefs), Mark Telea (Blues

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
South Africa have named the squad they hope will be able to retain the World Cup come the last Saturday in October. There are 4 yappy little scrum halves although according to the bloke who runs ''The Black Jersey'' YouTube channel, Grant Williams can also play flyhalf. I'm pretty sure Jean Kleyn will become the first man to play consecutive World Cups for two different tier one nations. Handre Pollard and no Lukanyo Am are the headline absentees from their 33 man squad but both are on a standby list.

Forwards: Steven Kitshoff, Vincent Koch, Frans Malherbe, Ox Nche, Trevor Nyakane, Bongi Mbonambi, Malcolm Marx, Eben Etzebeth, Jean Kleyn, Marvin Orie, RG Snyman, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Siya Kolisi (captain), Kwagga Smith, Marco van Staden, Duane Vermeulen, Jasper Wiese, Deon Fourie, Franco Mostert.
Backs: Faf de Klerk, Jaden Hendrikse, Cobus Reinach, Grant Williams, Manie Libbok, Damian Willemse, Damian de Allende, Andre Esterhuizen, Jesse Kriel, Kurt-Lee Arendse, Cheslin Kolbe, Willie le Roux, Makazole Mapimpi, Canan Moodie.

Last edited:

tentan

Poor man's poster.
South Africa have named the squad they hope will be able to retain the World Cup come the last Saturday in October. There are 4 yappy little scrum halves although according to the bloke who runs ''The Black Jersey'' YouTube channel, Grant Williams can also play flyhalf. I'm pretty sure Jean Kleyn will become the first man to play consecutive World Cups for two different tier one nations. Handre Pollard and no Lukanyo Am are the headline absentees from their 33 man squad but both are on a standby list.
Think they'll struggle to defend their crown. No Pollard, and they've been pretty poor for the past few years.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Eddie Jones has named his squad for this year's World Cup and this is the group the optimist in me says will leave France as world champions!!!! I would have picked Quade Cooper, Eddie didn't which means Cooper's test career is all over. Michael Hooper has been left out and probably won't play test rugby again. Hooper suffered an injury while trying to tackle Duane Vermeulen at Loftus Versfeld in early July. Ben Donaldson can play flyhalf in the event something happens to Carter Gordon. Of this squad, 25 of the 33 are playing in their first World Cup.

One * means player has been picked for his first World Cup. A double * means a player is uncapped.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
we're doomed. Borthwick has picked the 3 slowest scrum halves in the premiership

Dan_F

we're doomed. Borthwick has picked the 3 slowest scrum halves in the premiership
Surely Ben Spencer might just about squeeze into that top 3?

I’m not sure Borthwick has many other options in terms of selection. I’ve already accepted it’s going to be a World Cup to forget for us.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
How do we lose it in contact so often? I’d accept it if we had a decent offload game, but we dont

Status
Not open for further replies.