Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Even the English over your fellow southern hemisphere mates? Shame on you! :nono:
I find the idea of supporting New Zealand in rugby a bit like asking an Everton fan to support Liverpool in a Champions League final. I just can't do it. I enjoy seeing England's football team fail but I'm indifferent to them with cricket and rugby. Argentina is my first preference - a new world champion and I'd be over the moon for Michael Cheika if they won the World Cup. I don't want a final between New Zealand and South Africa because that means 7 of the 10 World Cups will be won by the two historical super powers including the last 5. If we did get an NZ vs RSA final, I'd prefer your guys to win but it's not the final I want.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I find the idea of supporting New Zealand in rugby a bit like asking an Everton fan to support Liverpool in a Champions League final. I just can't do it. I enjoy seeing England's football team fail but I'm indifferent to them with cricket and rugby. Argentina is my first preference - a new world champion and I'd be over the moon for Michael Cheika if they won the World Cup. I don't want a final between New Zealand and South Africa because that means 7 of the 10 World Cup will be won by the two historical super powers including the last 5. If we did get an NZ vs RSA final, I'd prefer your guys to win but it's not the final I want.
Yeah, I was only jesting in fairness! I think argentina would be every neutrals pick to walk away with it but no disrespect, I can’t see it happening - albeit never say never!

For some reason I think the English would be bottom of most Saffers lists - probably even below the AB’s to win it. Or that’s at least majority of the people I know. Not sure where the rugby rivalry came from, but not a lot of love for the English - and there’s a ton of us over in the UK :lol:

Not sure, maybe @Traub has a different experience with people he knows.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I find the idea of supporting New Zealand in rugby a bit like asking an Everton fan to support Liverpool in a Champions League final. I just can't do it. I enjoy seeing England's football team fail but I'm indifferent to them with cricket and rugby. Argentina is my first preference - a new world champion and I'd be over the moon for Michael Cheika if they won the World Cup. I don't want a final between New Zealand and South Africa because that means 7 of the 10 World Cups will be won by the two historical super powers including the last 5. If we did get an NZ vs RSA final, I'd prefer your guys to win but it's not the final I want.
Imagine if Argentina did win the WC, it would be amazing. Im an AB supporter but the Irish winning it would have been so good for world rugby.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Imagine if Argentina did win the WC, it would be amazing. Im an AB supporter but the Irish winning it would have been so good for world rugby.
Yeah actually wouldn’t have minded a new winner myself (Ire, Arg or Fra - don’t think anyone else had a realistic chance outside those 4 and even then, I don’t think Arg do either).

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
It would be incredibly bad for Northern hemisphere rugby, will all 4 rugby championship teams having one and only England in the 6 nation's

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I'm starting to stress about the semi tomorrow. Hopefully we can get a decent lead in the first half. My main concern is England will go for posts at every opportunity, and those 3 points can tick over to a solid 10-12 point lead in no time.
England beating Fiji stopped me finishing with 0 from 4 last weekend but I expect NZ and SA to win by double digits. England's best hope is for the match to resemble drab 2019 semi between Wales and South Africa. For that to happen, the Boks would have to too conservative for their own good and I doubt they'll fall into that trap.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I'm starting to stress about the semi tomorrow. Hopefully we can get a decent lead in the first half. My main concern is England will go for posts at every opportunity, and those 3 points can tick over to a solid 10-12 point lead in no time.
you would expect the team unbeaten heading into the semis to be the strong favourites, especially after already beating one of the semi finalists in the other side of the draw. for that exact reason, i can’t see england winning. the good guys always end up falling when it’s least expected.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Argentina winning the WC (or any first time winner for that matter) would be great for rugby. It would also be amazing for Argentina to win two major World Cups within 12 months of each other.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
you would expect the team unbeaten heading into the semis to be the strong favourites, especially after already beating one of the semi finalists in the other side of the draw. for that exact reason, i can’t see england winning. the good guys always end up falling when it’s least expected.
:lol:

MoskvaRed

I expect NZ to win tonight fairly comfortably, although I don’t see them hitting the same heights again in this tournament as they did against Ireland.

As for tomorrow, it will be dour as hell, with England kicking the leather off the ball and going for drop goals whenever they are in range. Head says South Africa but heart says SA might be fatigued and/or complacent and this generation of England players might have one last big performance in them.

SirAnderson

Looking forward to both matches.

Although I'm highly irked at the fact that people (in SA, not on here) are making plans to watch the final like it's a foregone conclusion we will win. It's the perfect recipe for a loss.
Let's first fecking get the job done against England, sheesh.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I suspect tonight’s game will be the closer of the 2. Hopefully it’s competitive for large parts of the game.

RedDevilQuebecois

I almost forgot what it looked like to see medics intervening on the pitch immediately as soon as someone goes down, even when the play is still on. :lol:

Ollie Derbyshire

Looked like a knock on at the line out, I swear so much is going on loads of things get missed and no one ever picks up on it.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I suspect tonight’s game will be the closer of the 2. Hopefully it’s competitive for large parts of the game.
ffs. let’s just wait and see. if south africa play out of their skins, they could make it close.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i don’t think the all blacks liked everyone thinking they were shit.

kidbob

NZ so far ahead of Argentina they aren't even bothered constantly playing the ball in the ruck.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
There’s a player shouting like the Anchorman meme when he shouts in a high pitch:

‘THEY’RE COMING IN THROUGH THE BACK DOOR, GET THE CHILDREN’

I think it’s a NZ guy

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Noticed something about the AB’s defence. When they’ve got a line of say 3 tacklers, the outer one will fold around onto the Argentina side and block off the cleaners. They’ve got away with it loads and it looks innocuous because it’s not ‘tackler on the wrong side’, the player just walks around and get in the way

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Noticed something about the AB’s defence. When they’ve got a line of say 3 tacklers, the outer one will fold around onto the Argentina side and block off the cleaners. They’ve got away with it loads and it looks innocuous because it’s not ‘tackler on the wrong side’, the player just walks around and get in the way
don’t lose any sleep over it. it’s only england that play the game in the right spirit.

Zoo

Am hearing the players far more today. The French crowd have lost their joie de vivre.

Status
Not open for further replies.