Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traub

So the world cup is being expanded to 24 teams (6 groups of 4) and a new Round of 16. Also the draw will take place closer to the WC.

So now 16/24 go through... I suppose this means the big boys only actually join the WC from Round of 16. There is nothing to play for in the groups. Probably not that different to now to be fair.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
So the world cup is being expanded to 24 teams (6 groups of 4) and a new Round of 16. Also the draw will take place closer to the WC.

So now 16/24 go through... I suppose this means the big boys only actually join the WC from Round of 16. There is nothing to play for in the groups. Probably not that different to now to be fair.
I haven't fully absorbed the changes yet, but all I'm seeing on Twitter is negativity about them

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

I would've went the other way and had a smaller tournament. The groups of 5 is always a bit odd, so it makes sense to want to have groups of 4, but I'd have just had 4 groups of 4 and straight to quarters. But I guess expanding the tournament means more money and 'exposure'

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

That’s so confusing. How do you extract the 16 best teams from 6 groups of 4?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
you just make sure england are in the side of the draw with bulgaria, canada, papa new guinea, italy, germany, sudan, sri lanka, paraguay, tunisia, greece and norway, and you let the rest take care of itself.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
World Rugby have expanded the tournament to 24 teams basically to make it easier for the US to qualify. They wouldn't want the US to fail to qualify for two World Cups in a row before they host the tournament in 2031.

LDUred

Just seen a compilation clip of South Africans of all colour, shape and size celebrating their semifinal win on Twitter, heartwarming stuff. I think South Africa going all the way means a lot more to the average Saffer than the average Kiwi and for this reason I hope they finish the job come Saturday.
I get the emotive element and the history, but South African rugby in isolation is something I cannot warm to.

There's clearly an issue there with what is being consumed and doing cycles. There have been question marks for years, and recent comments made by CJ Stander are very telling.

I hope it's a competitive final but I won't be pulling for them.

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I get the emotive element and the history, but South African rugby in isolation is something I cannot warm to.

There's clearly an issue there with what is being consumed and doing cycles. There have been question marks for years, and recent comments made by CJ Stander are very telling.

I hope it's a competitive final but I won't be pulling for them.
Steroid prevalence in youth rugby definitely isn’t restricted to south Africa, despite having a high profile former player come out and talk about it.

I’ve had a coach of a semi-pro club in north east England talk about the usage (or suspected usage) amongst young amateur players. And they’re not realistically aiming at national honours, not even professional careers. It’s just very, very, very common

Tyrion

4 best 3rd place teams apparently. I imagine it's to give the weaker sides a chance at a knockout game. As much as I like the idea of Ireland getting a knockout game we could actually win, I'm not sure this is a good idea. I suppose it gives the 3rd and 4th seeds something to fight for which is good but more than half of the teams moving on from the groups seems pointless.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
South Africa have picked their side for the final. They've gone with a 7-1 bench split. Unless the Springboks dominate the All Blacks physically, I see New Zealand winning by about 15 points.

Springboks: Damian Willemse, Kurt-Lee Arendse, Jesse Kriel, Damian de Allende, Cheslin Kolbe, Handre Pollard, Faf de Klerk, Duane Vermeulen, Pieter-Steph Du Toit, Siya Kolisi (c), Franco Mostert, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Mbongeni Mbonambi, Steven Kitshoff. Reserves: Deon Fourie, Ox Nche, Trevor Nyakane, Jean Kleyn, RG Snyman, Kwagga Smith, Jasper Wiese, Willie Le Roux

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
South Africa have picked their side for the final. They've gone with a 7-1 bench split. Unless the Springboks dominate the All Blacks physically, I see New Zealand winning by about 15 points.

Springboks: Damian Willemse, Kurt-Lee Arendse, Jesse Kriel, Damian de Allende, Cheslin Kolbe, Handre Pollard, Faf de Klerk, Duane Vermeulen, Pieter-Steph Du Toit, Siya Kolisi (c), Franco Mostert, Eben Etzebeth, Frans Malherbe, Mbongeni Mbonambi, Steven Kitshoff. Reserves: Deon Fourie, Ox Nche, Trevor Nyakane, Jean Kleyn, RG Snyman, Kwagga Smith, Jasper Wiese, Willie Le Roux
What’s the weather forecast? Been a brilliant tournament for running rugby overall. Here’s hoping the final isn’t another forwards arm wrestle.

Traub

Wasn't this always going to be the case though? If NZ get off to a fast start, regardless of the bench, we wouldn’t be able to catch up. This way we can try beat them with shit on a stick rugby for 80 mins. I think it’s also a weather decision - we were bad in the semis when trying our own back game, so we would get destroyed if we employed those tactics vs NZ

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
A 5-3 bench split for New Zealand. They'll want to run the Boks off their feet early like they did at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland during the Rugby Championship.

New Zealand (1-15): Ethan de Groot, Codie Taylor, Tyrel Lomax, Brodie Retallick, Scott Barrett, Shannon Frizell, Sam Cane (c), Ardie Savea, Aaron Smith, Richie Mo’unga, Mark Telea, Jordie Barrett, Rieko Ioane, Will Jordan, Beauden Barrett.

Replacements: Samisoni Taukei’aho, Tamaiti Williams, Nepo Laulala, Sam Whitelock, Dalton Papali’i, Finlay Christie, Damian McKenzie, Anton Lienert-Brown.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Think South Africa will win it. They just give me a "Real Madrid in CL" vibe where you can never count them out even if they play bad.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
A 5-3 bench split for New Zealand. They'll want to run the Boks off their feet early like they did at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland during the Rugby Championship.

New Zealand (1-15): Ethan de Groot, Codie Taylor, Tyrel Lomax, Brodie Retallick, Scott Barrett, Shannon Frizell, Sam Cane (c), Ardie Savea, Aaron Smith, Richie Mo’unga, Mark Telea, Jordie Barrett, Rieko Ioane, Will Jordan, Beauden Barrett.

Replacements: Samisoni Taukei’aho, Tamaiti Williams, Nepo Laulala, Sam Whitelock, Dalton Papali’i, Finlay Christie, Damian McKenzie, Anton Lienert-Brown.
I reckon it’ll work as well. Suspect South Africa have just had too many wars this campaign whereas the ABs have had a couple, but they’ve had some decent rest periods in between. I think that’ll tip the balance

IRELANDUNITED

Cannot believe that the South African actually had to justify the “racism” claim. Absolutely pathetic from Tom Curry to even accuse him in the first place. Trying to make something out of absolutely nothing, embarrassing.

Traub

Cannot believe that the South African actually had to justify the “racism” claim. Absolutely pathetic from Tom Curry to even accuse him in the first place. Trying to make something out of absolutely nothing, embarrassing.
Have you seen the RFU statement? Salty AF. Really strange - it reads as if there is clear evidence that has been ignored.

Anyway back to the game, as a Boks supporter I’m already shattered from the close games. I can’t even imagine how the players are feeling. Hopefully the lure of retaining the trophy is enough to get them over the line. I suspect we will need the poor disciplined All Blacks to show up if we are going to win - if the Irish All Blacks show up we have no chance. That was probably the best performance of the tournament.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

Ardie Savea would get my vote.
Bit mad they’re not including a player who has a good chance of the most tries ever scored in a World Cup. Even if they don’t want two players from the same country I don’t think Savea’s been all that amazing. Sam Kane played better than him against Ireland.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Have you seen the RFU statement? Salty AF. Really strange - it reads as if there is clear evidence that has been ignored.
The whole thing is very weird. This made me chuckle though.

It is also understood that England are furious with a video that emerged on Wednesday of South Africa players, including Mbonambi, and coaches at a training session. The Afrikaans phrase “Watter kant?”, which translates as “Which side?”, can be heard and the video has been construed as South Africa making light of the situation

IRELANDUNITED

Anyway back to the game, as a Boks supporter I’m already shattered from the close games. I can’t even imagine how the players are feeling. Hopefully the lure of retaining the trophy is enough to get them over the line. I suspect we will need the poor disciplined All Blacks to show up if we are going to win - if the Irish All Blacks show up we have no chance. That was probably the best performance of the tournament.
You guys got this, no sweat. I’m reasonably confident South Africa will win Saturday night. But please, speak to me more about these racism claims from the England player against the South African, what are your opinions of this? I personally think it’s disgraceful from Tom Curry

Traub

You guys got this, no sweat. I’m reasonably confident South Africa will win Saturday night. But please, speak to me more about these racism claims from the England player against the South African, what are your opinions of this? I personally think it’s disgraceful from Tom Curry
I just find it very very strange. Why would he do it? He is the vice-captain with a group of mainly white players. Having said that, Etzebeth was also accused of racism on a night out a few years ago

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Pre tournament, I thought South Africa would win the final beating Ireland with the Boks beating New Zealand in a Quarter Final. Now, I'm suddenly of the view that New Zealand will beat South Africa in the final by 10-15 points.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
England should win tonight, but tomorrow I’m going for SA. They will make the game scrappy, play the percentages and force the All Blacks in to errors & giving away too many penalties. Bit like England did to the Boks last weekend.

England vs Argentina 2: The Englargentining - Englarge Harder

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
England should win tonight, but tomorrow I’m going for SA. They will make the game scrappy, play the percentages and force the All Blacks in to errors & giving away too many penalties. Bit like England did to the Boks last weekend.
For Argentina, the 3rd place playoff is a chance to end the tournament on a high. For England, it's an inconvenience and for that reason, I see Argentina winning.

Zen

Nothing suggesting Farrell is contemplating his career at this level... so I guess he's down for another RWC cycle, given a Lions tour to Australia is hardly appetising right now. So Smith at fullback is here to stay, for some time at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.