Rugby Union 21/22/23 Discussion | RWC time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Don’t know what you guys think, but rugby seems to be moving through that horrible kick-dominated period where all you saw was box after box, certainly in the premiership. I’ve just looked at the last 3 rounds of fixtures briefly, there’s been 1051 points scored over the 18 matches, over 58 points per game average. I don’t know how this plays out to other domestic leagues, and I think it’ll be much lower at international level (which is generally cagier) but it makes the sport as a whole so much more watchable. I’d much rather watch, say Northampton vs Worcester as opposed to Fulham vs Wolves (random teams I have no attachment to)
Totally agree. The drama level is just so much higher too. I haven't watched many bad games this year.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
After the announcement of Jono Gibbes going back to Clermont, O'Gara will be La Rochelle's manager at the start of next season.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Tonight's 26-24 win over the Hurricanes is the Chiefs' 5th win on the spin and all 5 have been by 6 points or fewer.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Wow, fecking hell, Connacht beat Ulster and the Captain's Challenge was absolutely crucial.

Ulster used up their one bizarrely (after scoring a try) to try to get Papali'i sent off.

Then, in the last few moments of the match, Connacht use theirs to earn a last-gasp penalty for a strip on the ground in a tackle that had initially been given as a knock-on. They kick for the corner and score a fabulous try on the dead ball line off a delicate grubber kick through. The TMO gives it, the Ulster captain complains about downward pressure, but they've used up their challenge.

Last edited:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Caolan Blade for Ireland :)

Seriously though, it's kinda criminal he hasn't got a look in. Keeping the previous Ireland no.2 out of the Connacht team week in, week out. Smart, fast, with outrageous moments like the try above, his other quick-thinking try in this game, or stealing turnovers he has no right to win.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Caolan Blade for Ireland :)

Seriously though, it's kinda criminal he hasn't got a look in. Keeping the previous Ireland no.2 out of the Connacht team week in, week out. Smart, fast, with outrageous moments like the try above, his other quick-thinking try in this game, or stealing turnovers he has no right to win.
He might be born in the wrong country for the coaches liking, I’d have him over JGB, I also have Luke McGrath over him as well.

I saw O Gara has signed a 2 year extension and the only thing I can say is bollocks, 3 more years of Johan could destroy Munster mentally.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Waratahs ended the super rugby AU season winless in what could be Dave Wessels' last match in charge of the Melbourne Rebels.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Crusaders have secured hosting rights for the super rugby Aotearoa final on May 8 by beating the Auckland Blues in Christchurch.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
The Hurricanes have ended their super rugby Aotearoa season on a positive note.

Listen out for Aaron Smith's squealing in the build up to the Hurricanes 2nd try.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Leicester squeeze out Ulster in a cracking game. Game of two halves, Leicester were so limp in the first half but roared back in the second. Cooney being injured at the start of the first half changed the game

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Six points while a man down for La Rochelle.
Yeah Leinster not gonna have it easy today. If they win it, having got through Exeter away last round, La Rochelle away today, then Toulouse in the final.....fair fecks to Leinster I say

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
How dodgy is James Lowe. Penalty for slowing the ruck down with his legs, negative yardage kick....so woolly

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
An all-France final. La Rochelle totally deserved it, the scoreline flattered Leinster

kidbob

Didn't get to see the game (fecking Irish TV and girlfriends!) but congratulations to La Rochelle. From what I've heard they were by far the better side and should have won by more. Great to see ROG doing such a good job. Hope they can go on an win it now, as it's always nice to see new teams getting over the line.

Feels weird to say it but an overall failure of a season for Leinster but to be fair its awesome that the expectations are so high. I feel a bit of a transitional period coming on with Fardy gone and Sexton another year older. For the love of God I really want the other Pro 14 sides to improve and make it a real competition again. Not an excuse but sometimes (like Sacarens last year) it feels we are so far ahead there that it affects us when we play sides who are as good, or better than we are.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm allowed to take a Irish angle on this :lol:
To be fair, he is highly rated and has an actual influence. I'm a bit excited to see what he does next year as the boss.

PS: Does Davidson makes the news in Ireland? He is currently the wonderboy in France everyone wants him but he doesn't want to leave Brive. Also we are not giving you ROG back, for some reason foreign coaches often don''t want to leave France.

kidbob

To be fair, he is highly rated and has an actual influence. I'm a bit excited to see what he does next year as the boss.

PS: Does Davidson makes the news in Ireland? He is currently the wonderboy in France everyone wants him but he doesn't want to leave Brive. Also we are not giving you ROG back, for some reason foreign coaches often don''t want to leave France.
Mate ROG is absolutely destined for Munster, like its inevitable in my eyes. If he does well then over the next years I want Ireland to end up with the Leinster coaching staff (they know most of the players) eventually leading into the ROG era after he has mopped up with Munster. Maybe other foreign coaches don't leave but feck me the connection that those Munster players feel to their province is incredible. Being serious though I'd love for this to be a type of approach we take in the future. Let potential coaching teams to manage the provinces and if they do well then bring them into the national team where they know the players. Worked for an outsider in Schmidt so why wouldn't it work for Cullen, Lancaster and co? They know all the players, having coached and scouted against the other provinces too. Leinster would be able to carry on alright I reckon.

Sorry went on a tangent!!

Don't know about @unchanged_lineup but I've never heard of Davison. He's a coach I'm guessing?

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Mate ROG is absolutely destined for Munster, like its inevitable in my eyes. If he does well then over the next years I want Ireland to end up with the Leinster coaching staff (they know most of the players) eventually leading into the ROG era after he has mopped up with Munster. Maybe other foreign coaches don't leave but feck me the connection that those Munster players feel to their province is incredible. Being serious though I'd love for this to be a type of approach we take in the future. Let potential coaching teams to manage the provinces and if they do well then bring them into the national team where they know the players. Worked for an outsider in Schmidt so why wouldn't it work for Cullen, Lancaster and co? They know all the players, having coached and scouted against the other provinces too. Leinster would be able to carry on alright I reckon.

Don't know about @unchanged_lineup but I've never heard of Davison. He's a coach I'm guessing?
It's Jeremy Davidson, former Ulster player @kidbob.

No @JPRouve, I hadn't heard much about this to be honest. It's not making waves here at the moment as far as I can tell

JPRouve

Scout

Triggered! :lol:

kidbob

Triggered! :lol:
:lol: :lol: Absolutely!! When we appointed Farrell I was honestly amazed as we really had actual Irish options that have proven themselves as great coaching teams and knew the players at club level (where they see them week on week). I was so surprised. Maybe Farrell will prove me wrong but I don't want to become like you guys and have bad fit after bad fit when the obvious options are ignored!

Edit: I like how New Zealand tend to poach the coaches from their club teams that are doing well and we are weirdly in a position to start doing that. Connacht's coaching staff, for example, are excellent.

Anyway just googled Davidson, is he pulling up trees at Brive? Exciting playing style (well its France so obviously)?

JPRouve

Scout
:lol: :lol: Absolutely!! When we appointed Farrell I was honestly amazed as we really had actual Irish options that have proven themselves as great coaching teams and knew the players at club level (where they see them week on week). I was so surprised. Maybe Farrell will prove me wrong but I don't want to become like you guys and have bad fit after bad fit when the obvious options are ignored!

Edit: I like how New Zealand tend to poach the coaches from their club teams that are doing well and we are weirdly in a position to start doing that. Connacht's coaching staff, for example, are excellent.

Anyway just googled Davidson, is he pulling up trees at Brive? Exciting playing style (well its France so obviously)?
Yeah he is doing very well with far less money than most teams, he doesn't have great talent so the style is conventional though they can move the ball fairly well. He was a target for at least Clermont and Montpellier but declined to interview, he thinks that his job at Brive isn't finished. He will most likely get a big job in France in the near future or maybe comeback in Ireland.

kidbob

Yeah he is doing very well with far less money than most teams, he doesn't have great talent so the style is conventional though they can move the ball fairly well. He was a target for at least Clermont and Montpellier but declined to interview, he thinks that his job at Brive isn't finished. He will most likely get a big job in France in the near future or maybe comeback in Ireland.
Fair play, he sounds like a stand up coach. I always have a soft spot for guys that stick with the little guys when they could mover on. Must have huge confidence in himself. Who you got for the Champions Cup final? Didn't see the game today but heard La Rochelle should have destroyed but haven't seen much of them and Touliuse are obviously Toulouse.

JPRouve

Scout
Fair play, he sounds like a stand up coach. I always have a soft spot for guys that stick with the little guys when they could mover on. Must have huge confidence in himself. Who you got for the Champions Cup final? Didn't see the game today but heard La Rochelle should have destroyed but haven't seen much of them and Touliuse are obviously Toulouse.
I really don't know, they are 2 of the 3 best teams in Top 14. Toulouse has probably more experience so I would give them an edge but La Rochelle can beat anyone.

kidbob

I really don't know, they are 2 of the 3 best teams in Top 14. Toulouse has probably more experience so I would give them an edge but La Rochelle can beat anyone.
Sound! Really looking forward to watching the final.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
La Rochelle seem to have an incredibly dominant pack. Could they end up outmuscling Toulouse?

JPRouve

Scout
La Rochelle seem to have an incredibly dominant pack. Could they end up outmuscling Toulouse?
Toulouse has a better scrum, Toulouse pretty much has France starting front row while La Rochelle has the backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.