g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rugby Union 23/24 Discussion

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Me too a bit, but looking forward to it, always do… it’s like when United play Liverpool. Nervous excitement.

Think we lose by 8-10, though first try important… might settle us if we get it and could have an outside chance. Got to start well and take the points when on offer… 3/6/9/12.

Could be a tough weekend for a Welsh United fan… especially one who’s married to an English Villa fan… :annoyed:

Hope it’s a good game.
Borthwick has picked a very mobile backline (by recent English standards) so I’m expecting us to try and punch up the middle then get the ball out wide. Maybe saw how narrow you got against Scotland and fancy scoring in the corners.
I fancy our pack is stronger and if we can keep Reffell away from the ball at the breakdown we should win the battle up front.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Borthwick has picked a very mobile backline (by recent English standards) so I’m expecting us to try and punch up the middle then get the ball out wide. Maybe saw how narrow you got against Scotland and fancy scoring in the corners.
I fancy our pack is stronger and if we can keep Reffell away from the ball at the breakdown we should win the battle up front.
Same team as v Italy?

North might help us a bit in the middle and glad Gatland has made quite a few changes. After that first 40, it’d be stupid to let everyone keep their place… don’t deserve it and the 6 Nations is too short a tournament to let them play their way in.

This was always going to be a 2-3 year (min) transition though so not got great expectations for this one/next.

Withnail

Me too a bit, but looking forward to it, always do… it’s like when United play Liverpool. Nervous excitement.

Think we lose by 8-10, though first try important… might settle us if we get it and could have an outside chance. Got to start well and take the points when on offer… 3/6/9/12.

Could be a tough weekend for a Welsh United fan… especially one who’s married to an English Villa fan… :annoyed:

Hope it’s a good game.
I dunno about that. England seemed to have sorted their defence in the second half but I wasn't impressed at all and Wales were very good in the second half. This may come across a little Michael Owenbut based on last week I think it all depends who starts well and can then put a performance together over the 80. I may be wrong, as I'm definitely going against the bookies, but I'd be leaning towards Wales personally.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I dunno about that. England seemed to have sorted their defence in the second half but I wasn't impressed at all and Wales were very good in the second half. This may come across a little Michael Owenbut based on last week I think it all depends who starts well and can then put a performance together over the 80. I may be wrong, as I'm definitely going against the bookies, but I'd be leaning towards Wales personally.
:lol: You mean to say it’ll be the team that scores the most points will win? Shit…I don’t think Borthwick will have thought of that.

Nah seriously I get your point, two disjointed sides lacking confidence. Plus, wales will be wanting a scrappy game and they might just do it better than us.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I've turned down two tickets for Italy game

Aviva is always flat for Italy game. People more into getting pints every 5 mins

RedDevilRoshi

Surely Italy have a golden generation coming. They've been getting closer and closer at u20 level for a few years now. Looking a lot better than the Wales and Scotland u20s.
I swear this gets said about Italy every single year or whenever they pull off a good result/performance :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I've turned down two tickets for Italy game

Aviva is always flat for Italy game. People more into getting pints every 5 mins
Boils my piss the way rugby fans are allowed to stock up on pints and bring them to their seats but if you happen to be watching football you’re not allowed take a pint outdoors. Even more annoying considering rugby games are always sell outs but Ireland football matches nowadays have loads of empty seats, so there’s much more room to be ferrying pints about.

That said, I’d never turn down a ticket for a rugby match. Which may or may not be related to the ease of supping pints throughout.

RedDevilRoshi

Boils my piss the way rugby fans are allowed to stock up on pints and bring them to their seats but if you happen to be watching football you’re not allowed take a pint outdoors. Even more annoying considering rugby games are always sell outs but Ireland football matches nowadays have loads of empty seats, so there’s much more room to be ferrying pints about.

That said, I’d never turn down a ticket for a rugby match. Which may or may not be related to the ease of supping pints throughout.
Not surprising though when the rugby team is excellent and the football team is horrific

kidbob

Great try, Scotland have started well. Not sure why Le Garrec hasn't started for France, thought he was much better than Lucu last week.

Alanxyz

Have they said why Scotland are playing in blue? I thought it was tradition in the Six Nations that the home team wore their alternate shirt in the event of a colour clash.

kidbob

Scotland showing a maturity I've not usually seen from them. Be interesting if they can maintain it for the whole game and carry it through the rest of the tournament. Good try from France. Ultimately think playing a tournament without Dupont will stand to them as a team. Easy to just defer to a genius as your main game plan but you need to be able to maintain a good level when he's not there.

Withnail

Scotland showing a maturity I've not usually seen from them. Be interesting if they can maintain it for the whole game and carry it through the rest of the tournament. Good try from France. Ultimately think playing a tournament without Dupont will stand to them as a team. Easy to just defer to a genius as your main game plan but you need to be able to maintain a good level when he's not there.
They seem to be absolutely bottling it with the absence of Dupont. Their level shouldn't drop this much, surely?

kidbob

I hate when teams take scrums in those positions. I know France are down a front row but a scrum is just way too random with how it's reffed.

kidbob

They seem to be absolutely bottling it with the absence of Dupont. Their level shouldn't drop this much, surely?
It shouldn't but I think the issue is that he's so bloody good that their entire game is naturally built around him. However I think they'd be playing better with Le Garrec at 9 than Lucu. Lucu is grand but not really International standard for me.

RedDevilRoshi

Waste of a good penalty and man advantage there to increase the lead. Could be a momentum swinger for the French.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I hate when teams take scrums in those positions. I know France are down a front row but a scrum is just way too random with how it's reffed.
It’s a tough call?

On the one hand, you drag nine men in and you should have a one man advantage out wide. Also chance that if you get momentum, could be a penalty try.

On the other hand, tap it and keep full control of the situation and (as you say), take away that risk.

RedDevilRoshi

That’s what I thought. Not a rule, more a sporting tradition.
The way it should be tbh. Home team wears their home shirt and away team wears their away/alternate if their home shirt colour clashes with the home teams one. I never knew the reason why in rugby union the home team wears their away/alternate shirt if it colour clashed with the away teams home shirt.

Dan_F

They aren’t even down a player in the scrum because of the sub. It’s really risky, especially against France.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Don’t think we’ll be able to win this. Some sloppy mistakes that I don’t expect to be tightened up (going on the 2nd half experience in Wales) and I imagine France will step up here.

Withnail

Don’t think we’ll be able to win this. Some sloppy mistakes that I don’t expect to be tightened up (going on the 2nd half experience in Wales) and I imagine France will step up here.
They could just as easily get more yellow cards. They've been a bit of a shambles.