Rugby Union 23/24 Discussion

RedDevilRoshi

I don’t tend to get livid with rugby but that call not to award the try sums up this sport in a nutshell. It’s a clear as day try as it’s been grounded after rolled off the players boot. Every man and their dog could see it.

Corruption at the biggest level.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Yeah I think it was a try but the ref couldn't see it was a try from 1m away and there was no proof of the ball touching the line on the footage so there's no way it could have been given.
The TMO actually said ‘Nic, there is the ball on the ground’…

Absolute bullshit.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
Yeah it's probably a try but it's not as if they were deliberately choosing the wrong option. The TMO quite audibly wanted to give the try but couldn't find any footage to conclusively prove that the ball was down and thus couldn't give it. It probably was a try but unless they could find an angle to prove that it was rather than making an assumption that it was, unfortunately that decision was not going to be given.

Withnail

The TMO actually said ‘Nic, there is the ball on the ground’…

Absolute bullshit.
He needed proof on the video that it was grounded and that it touched the line. There was no footage where you could see the ball touching the line and the ref was right there and he wasn't able to see it in real-time either.

It's unfortunate but there isn't much that can be done in that situation.

Dan_F

Pathetic. You can see the ball go back up after it hits the floor :lol:

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
He needed proof on the video that it was grounded and that it touched the line. There was no footage where you could see the ball touching the line and the ref was right there and he wasn't able to see it in real-time either.

It's unfortunate but there isn't much that can be done in that situation.
Yeah unfortunately the ref was specifically asking him to provide evidence that would otherwise force him to change his decision rather than asking for his own personal opinion. Therefore with a lack of clear evidence to demonstrate that the ball clearly made contact with the ground, he couldn't have it overturned. It should have been but the TMO was put in a position where he had to go against his own instincts. I do sympathise with the Scottish team and feel they were hard done by.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yeah unfortunately the ref was specifically asking him to provide evidence that would otherwise force him to change his decision rather than asking for his own personal opinion. Therefore with a lack of clear evidence to demonstrate that the ball clearly made contact with the ground, he couldn't have it overturned. It should have been but the TMO was put in a position where he had to go against his own instincts. I do sympathise with the Scottish team and feel they were hard done by.
Thats the norm though.

Ref makes an onfield decision based on what he sees and TMOs role is to prove him wrong, not guess. Exactly as sport should be

Dan_F

Also I don’t like this held up rule, it should be a scrum 5
I don’t mind it generally, I think it stops teams (Exeter) playing the most boring kind of rugby, or at least rewards the defenders for doing well.

I don’t like the fact that it ends the game. France should have had to kick the drop out and Scotland get another go. Maybe I’m just feeling like that because I felt Scotland won the game.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I don’t mind it generally, I think it stops teams (Exeter) playing the most boring kind of rugby, or at least rewards the defenders for doing well.

I don’t like the fact that it ends the game. France should have had to kick the drop out and Scotland get another go. Maybe I’m just feeling like that because I felt Scotland won the game.
it’s scotland. they’d have found another way to throw it away.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I’m all for strong tackles but the head/concussion aims were always going to change things.

Didnt drop, looked left as he tackled (odd), hit head.. always going to be a yellow
Why not make everyone wear a head guard then? To me, as someone who's played rugby fairly often, I don't know how I'd tackle anymore.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Why not make everyone wear a head guard then? To me, as someone who's played rugby fairly often, I don't know how I'd tackle anymore.
Played some too and as I said, I’m all for strong tackles.

Not saying I like modern rules but can understand why they’re there. And again, didn’t drop enough and didn’t watch where leading… no chance.

Bubz27

Brilliant restart with 13 there from England. Too simple actually. Wales will be disappointed.

Zoo

Naive as feck. Gotta exit then play, even against 13 men.

Bubz27

Played some too and as I said, I’m all for strong tackles.

Not saying I like modern rules but can understand why they’re there. And again, didn’t drop enough and didn’t watch where leading… no chance.
Didn't drop but he's being tackled and going down and it's happening in milliseconds. Just makes it really hard to tackle now.

They have to make head guards mandatory soon.