g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rugby World Cup 2019 aka Squishy McSquish goes into a meltdown thread

Thisistheone

England motoring along nicely. Fully expect them to see off France and set up a mouth watering Quarter against Australia

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
What are the odds of Samoa doing Ireland a favour today? Betfair has them -19 handicap...
I'm not a rugby nerd but I believe what likely happens here is Samoa will pretend to be good at rugby for the first half before deciding they aren't good at rugby in the second half. So I would highly recommend not watching.

diarm

That fella with the body paint jerseys has been an absolute legend throughout this world cup!

RedDevilRoshi

@unchanged_lineup , I’m unsure why you are upset with this? This hurts us way more than you guys as you are pretty much through to the quarters.

FFS, Samoa why did you not just kick it out and go for a lineout at the halfway line if you wanted to try and get a losing bonus point?! So stupid going for the scrum, 5 metres out from your own try line!

Even if we get the bonus point win against Russia, it’s still in Japan’s hands and I just can’t see us beating them by more than 7 points with 4 tries. Plus they also have the advantage of having more time to prepare for the game than we do.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
@unchanged_lineup , I’m unsure why you are upset with this? This hurts us way more than you guys as you are pretty much through to the quarters.

FFS, Samoa why did you not just kick it out and go for a lineout at the halfway line if you wanted to try and get a losing bonus point?! So stupid going for the scrum, 5 metres out from your own try line!

Even if we get the bonus point win against Russia, it’s still in Japan’s hands and I just can’t see us beating them by more than 7 points with 4 tries. Plus they also have the advantage of having more time to prepare for the game than we do.
Well I'll have to take a look at the table but I imagine this means we'd need ye to beat Japan and us to get a bonus point win over Samoa to top the group?

RedDevilRoshi

Australia vs Uruguay - Australia got back to winning ways with a comfortable 45-10 victory against Uruguay. I thought Uruguay did give a good account of themselves early on but eventually tired and lapses of concentration let them down. Despite the scoreline, I felt Australia’s performance was a little lethargic by their standards. You can tell by MC’s their were some parts they done well and others which were making him very uneasy! Overall, they got the win, which is all that matters.

England vs Argentina - I thought early stages Argentina were making a real good game of this until the red card in the 18th minute for Argentina’s Tomas Lavanini, which for me ended the game as a contest. England pretty much ran away with it from there and officially became the first team in the 1/4 finals.

Japan vs Samoa - As you can see from my comments earlier, I ain’t happy one bit with why Samoa decided to go for a scrum at the end! What on God’s earth were they stupid idiots thinking? That bonus point for Japan could be massive! Take nothing away, when Japan are playing at their very best, they look very good outfit but in the 1st half half, I felt Samoa dome pretty well and were only trailing by 7 points and had only conceded just 1 try. They didn’t let the Japanese get into any sort of a rhythm like you seen against the Irish. Overall Japan deserved the win and with 10 mins to go, I was very happy that Samoa had somewhat kind of frustrated them until the last 5 mins of the match when the Japanese scored two tries and sent their whole nation wild. Over to Scotland now...

Tomorrow (well later this morning) we have New Zealand vs Namibia and France vs Tonga

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
All blacks doing ok but not great against Namibia but it’s only 16 mins in and I’d expect NZ to push hard and eventually steamroll NAM.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
What do you reckon, voice of French realism @JPRouve ?

It looked initially like France might run away with it, but Tonga have hung on well.

The ref is having a bit of a mare though. They said he used to play for Racing, is he trying to avoid any sign of favouritism? Tonga should have had a yellow.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What do you reckon, voice of French realism @JPRouve ?

It looked initially like France might run away with it, but Tonga have hung on well.

The ref is having a bit of a mare though. They said he used to play for Racing, is he trying to avoid any sign of favouritism? Tonga should have had a yellow.
It's still an inconsistent team, there are times where players try to do too much. And I don't like Serin, he is way too slow in his game management.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That was really bad from France.

diarm

France have still played the best rugby I've seen so far in this world cup during that first 40 minutes against Argentina. They're liable to show up and shock anyone on their day.

The issue is that outside that 40, they've also played some of the worst rugby in the tournament as well.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Surely there is a contingency for this kind of thing? Another Stadium to host the game perhaps? It would seem very unfair if Ireland were to go out on the basis of this.
As far as I know, "no" is the answer. Knockout games would be replayed, but any group matches cancelled same-day are not replayed.

I think if it's cancelled more than 24hrs before there might be a contingency.

Tarrou

I am sure they'll make sure it's played. It would devalue the entire thing if someone got eliminated like this.

Same for everyone re a 0-0

Hopefully it doesn’t come to that. But those are seemingly the tournament rules.

Not sure it will matter if ireland end up playing NZ

diarm

We knew about the rules before the tournament started and we knew there was a chance of typhoons.

If we go home it's because we shat the bed against Japan.

If you won all your games but went home because of a called off game it would devalue the tournament. In this case we'd have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Offsideagain

Makes a change for the Irish not to benefit this type of situation. If things had gone according to plan and they had beaten Japan nobody would mention this. It will go down as a 0-0 draw if the Typhoon affects the match. England should beat the French but probably not a bonus point win.

RedDevilRoshi

Didn’t see any of the games yesterday as had a bit too many bevvies on Saturday night. Was out for the count on Sunday morning. Just watched highlights of both matches and thought the following:

France vs Tonga looked a really good game to watch. Tonga gave it as as good as they got. France always have a habit of pulling off a result at a World Cup and the game against mostly likely Wales in the quarters could go either way.

New Zealand vs Namibia - who would have thought half an hour into the game that the scoreline would read New Zealand 10-9 Namibia? I certainly wouldn’t have predicted that. 2nd half, the floodgates opened and New Zealand just ran riot, playing some scintillating rugby that we are so accustomed to seeing from the All Blacks. Must have got a kick up the backside from Steve Hansen at HT!

Tomorrow it’s South Africa vs Canada.