Rugby World Cup 2019 aka Squishy McSquish goes into a meltdown thread

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I had a bet running on France topping group. I know it was unlikely but still, this is rubbish

RedDevilRoshi

Argentina vs USA - Very comfortable win for Argentina. USA had chances to score tries but failed to take them.

Scotland vs Russia - Couldn’t have asked for a better performance and result. 14 changes made by Townsend, I was thinking it would be typical Scotland that we win this game without that crucial bonus point but then beat Japan and get eliminated by 1 point. Thought we were absolutely sensational! Back to back clean sheets. Also 55 years since Scotland have went two successive games without losing a point! Win has been a little shadowed though with this potential haggis typhoon. Hopefully it is nothing major in the end and the big game against Japan goes ahead this Sunday. Will see what gets announced tomorrow morning.

Wales va Fiji - Fantastic game from start to finish. Fiji could have finished their World Cup campaign on a major high but Wales just about pulled through in the end and got the win.

No game tomorrow. Next match is on Friday which is Australia vs Georgia.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49995604

Rugby World Cup: England-France match called off because of Typhoon Hagibis

England were due to meet France in Yokohama on Saturday. There is no news yet on Scotland's Pool A match against Japan, which is scheduled to take place in the same stadium on Sunday.

If the Scotland-Japan match was to be cancelled, under tournament rules Gregor Townsend's side would be knocked out of the World Cup.

That's very tough for Scotland there

diarm

If the Scotland match is called off, Ireland could conceivably lose to Samoa - making that two losses for us in the pool stage and still progress ahead of Scotland. Seems very unfair.

I understand the argument that the safety of supporters travelling to games is paramount, but surely playing games behind closed doors is a better last resort than cancelling outright?

Gee Male

England and NZ now have a 2 week break ahead of their quarter finals. Everything about this has made the tournament a shambles.

But massive congratulations to Italy for their best ever result against the All Blacks.

RORY65

if Japans game is cancelled don't Ireland top the group with a win bonus point win against Samoa?
They would be level on points as Japan would get 2 for a draw I presume and then Japan would top the group on head-to-head.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Between the typhoons, extreme heatwaves, and those massive hornet things, i've decided Japan is worse than Australia.

Rooney24

Its a bit of a shambles. Planning around this could have been better.

Its going to be very harsh on Scotland if they end up going out like this. It also changes the whole direction of the Tournament. Who is to say France wouldnt have beaten England to Change the QF line ups. Added to the fact that some Teams now have far longer rest periods than others.

Definitely takes away from the intergrity of the whole Tournament a bit.

Thisistheone

Crazy situation. And extrememly harsh on Scotland, if that game is also cancelled.

England's path to glory now looks like this:

Australia
New Zealand
South Africa

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'll be devastated if our game on Sunday is cancelled. Fair enough it's the rules but it is also farcical too. Going out without even having a chance to fight for a place in the QF's will be very hard to take.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
I'll be devastated if our game on Sunday is cancelled. Fair enough it's the rules but it is also farcical too. Going out without even having a chance to fight for a place in the QF's will be very hard to take.
I totally commiserate. It's daft. Keeping people safe is extremely important but surely they could have planned to do that and get all the matches played.

Vault Dweller

I totally commiserate. It's daft. Keeping people safe is extremely important but surely they could have planned to do that and get all the matches played.
Yeah I agree. Understand safety is paramount but there must be a way to have all the matches played, even if it was behind closed doors or something like that.

Thisistheone

Yeah I agree. Understand safety is paramount but there must be a way to have all the matches played, even if it was behind closed doors or something like that.
Yeah, surely they could play behind closed doors. Thats preferable to no match at all and Scotland going out without a chance.

Vault Dweller

Body blow to the tournament too.

From a distance,it looks like the organisers and local communities have put so much into it. I'm sure they'll be devastated too if their tournament is tarnished like this.
Aye you're right. The tournament has been great so far and the hosts have been brilliant. The will be so disappointed that 2 games have already been cancelled and if it happens to, quite frankly, the biggest game of the group stages now on Sunday, can imagine they will be quite disappointed. Will always be pointed out for the rest of time that Japan went through on a technicality.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah, if Scotland are knocked out without getting a chance to play I'll have 100% sympathy with them unlike four years ago where I had a bit of sympathy for them.

If a quarter final was to be cancelled, what would World Rugby do then?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Yeah, if Scotland are knocked out without getting a chance to play I'll have 100% sympathy with them unlike four years ago where I had a bit of sympathy for them.

If a quarter final was to be cancelled, what would World Rugby do then?
They would reschedule - this 0-0 draw thing only applies to group matches in the rules.

Gee Male

Aye you're right. The tournament has been great so far and the hosts have been brilliant. The will be so disappointed that 2 games have already been cancelled and if it happens to, quite frankly, the biggest game of the group stages now on Sunday, can imagine they will be quite disappointed. Will always be pointed out for the rest of time that Japan went through on a technicality.
The average winning margin for the last 14 games has been 37.5points.

If you think the tournament has been great so far then fair enough. I'd be leaning more towards farcical than great.

Vault Dweller

The average winning margin for the last 14 games has been 37.5points.

If you think the tournament has been great so far then fair enough. I'd be leaning more towards farcical than great.
Have you not enjoyed some of the games? Fair enough, there will always be the games where the big teams smash the minnows. But Japan beating Ireland, the Fiji game yesterday, Uruguay beating Fiji are just some highlights that I think have been great. You're right that it's down to people's own opinion but I have been enjoying it. And Japan have been great hosts too. But these cancelled games and the threat of Scotland going home without being able to play is rubbish.

If we are going to go out, I'd much rather it's because we played Japan and they beat us and deserve to go through, or via the bonus points system. Going out without even having the chance to play is terrible.

Rooney24

I think they will do everything possible to make sure the Japan Scotland game goes ahead.

The cancelled games they probably had the feeling those Groups were done and dusted and cancelling them - while not great - wont really influence things too greatly in terms of the outcome of the groups. Granted France can always beat England to make it a different 1-2. England and France were already through and NZ were gonna beat Italy lets be honest.

Japan v Scotland is different altogether in that elimination is on the line and the outcome far from certain. Will really feel for the Scots if they dont get the chance to do it on the pitch, moreso because I actually think they will win.

RedDevilRoshi

It’s been a very good World Cup so far but this will just make a massive mockery of the sport and it’s lack of sporting integrity if a nation is knocked out because of the weather!

Was only a kid back then but my dad mentioned that South Africa’s World Cup semi final in 95 was almost cancelled because of heavy rain and if it had been cancelled, France would have progressed to the final because they had a better disciplinary record than South Africa – that was to be the tie-breaker if necessary.

I’m just wondering if Sunday’s game was to affect England, New Zealand, Australia etc being knocked out because of the weather, you can bet your bottom dollar World Rugby will be doing everything they can to ensure the game was to go ahead.

I’ve got nothing against Japan as it is a beautiful country and the people are very nice and friendly over there. However it further begs the question why the f*** did they let Japan host this tournament, knowing that it is prone to typhoons and other adverse weather conditions during this time of the year? If the tournament was to be held in Japan, surely playing it in the summer would have been the more sensible decision.

Rooney1987

They won’t make it past Australia.

And S Africa beating wales is a given I suppose then? If wales get past France
Well England will and should be big favourites for that game. England haven’t lost to Australia since Jones took over.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I got to be honest, this whole thing is absolutely farcical. We're talking about the World Cup here, and because we have some bad weather (and rightly cancel those games taking place at that time), they're just gonna toss those games off and to hell with the consequences? It's absurd and amateurish and calls the whole tournament into question, imo. Yeah, England were favourites against France, but it's not completely beyond the realms of possibility that France could beat them, which would have an impact on where those two teams would finish, which in turn would have an impact on other teams.

And as for the Scotland and Japan game, if they call that off then thee whole thing may as well be boycotted. What a fecking shambles.