Rumours are circulating that Nicola Cortese will leave Southampton at the end of this season.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Just in the sport news bulletin on BBC Fivelive.

Related to which would be the future of the manager as Pochettino has previously stated that he would not remain at the club were Cortese no longer present.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If he leaves then they won't be financially backed as well as they are, correct? If that is the case, not only would it leave the club in a poor position due to losing him and Pochettino, but you'd have to think they would lose Shaw/Lallana/Schneiderlin at least.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Pochettino won't be able to leave at the drop of a hat. But I reckon Tottenham may become interested in him in the summer.

RedRover

If he leaves then they won't be financially backed as well as they are, correct? If that is the case, not only would it leave the club in a poor position due to losing him and Pochettino, but you'd have to think they would lose Shaw/Lallana/Schneiderlin at least.
He doesnt supply the money. He's empolyed by the estate of the late owner. He's effectively an employee of the club.

If he goes I suspect the issues is that he wont be able to make the kind of invetsments he wants in players etc. Saw something on TV with him and he seems very ambitious. Perhaps they want to sell off some of the star players and he's not happy?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He doesnt supply the money. He's empolyed by the estate of the late owner. He's effectively an employee of the club.

If he goes I suspect the issues is that he wont be able to make the kind of invetsments he wants in players etc. Saw something on TV with him and he seems very ambitious. Perhaps they want to sell off some of the star players and he's not happy?
Shaw most likely?

edit: shit, this is how bad news stories start, isn't it? :lol:

I expect the thread title to be changed to "Cortese leaving because Soton selling Shaw to Chelsea/United"...

RedRover

Would be brilliant for them if that happens.
Pochettino won't be able to leave at the drop of a hat. But I reckon Tottenham may become interested in him in the summer.
Sherwood has an 18 month contract and currently has the best starting record of any Spurs manager in the PL era. Seems that Levy likes him a lot - evident from the fact that he got the job in the first place when plenty of established managers would be interested.

Pochettino has done well at Southampton though. I suspect a few clubs would be interested in him.

Brophs

The One and Only
So if he goes to Milan we can expect Pochettino to be linked with the job as soon as Seedorf has a rocky spell.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Southampton about to be turned upside down and all their good players shaken from the tree.

Can imagine their fans are gutted.

Tarrou

When there were rumours of Cortese quitting last summer, Pochettino said he'd definitely leave if that were the case. I doubt his feelings have changed on the matter but hopefully for Southampton, they have. If they also lose their manager, you have to think they'll struggle to keep their top players as well.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Ah, my bad. I'd still expect them to find it hard to hold onto some of their key players with him not around though. Time to see if your theory is correct though! Maybe Moyes can raid Southampton for you ;)

RedRover

Ah, my bad. I'd still expect them to find it hard to hold onto some of their key players with him not around though. Time to see if your theory is correct though! Maybe Moyes can raid Southampton for you ;)
Indeed. If the manager goes as well that'll be tough for them to deal with. Shaw and Lallana look like very good players to be fair, Shaw in particular given his age.

CallyRed

It gets worse for Saints fans....

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9117086/sky-sources-southampton-owner-wants-sale

Southampton owner Katharina Liebherr wants to sell the club and executive chairman Nicola Cortese looks set to leave, Sky Sports News understands.
The developments at St Mary's put the future of Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino in doubt - he has always said he would leave Saints if Cortese left.
Sky sources indicate that Cortese handed in his resignation some time ago following a power struggle with Liebherr.
Cortese, a former banker, fronted a deal on behalf of the Leibherr family to buy Southampton in 2009 when the club was in administration and in League One.
Since then the value of the club has dramatically increased, following back-to-back promotions to the Premier League.
The current situation is that Liebherr wants to sell, whilst Cortese wants to wait.
This process is believed to have been ongoing for many months - it was understood that a compromise agreement was reached only for relations to break down again over Christmas.
Pochettino's future is now unclear. Back in May Pochettino stressed that his involvement at Southampton was dependent on his chairman remaining at the club.
"If (he) Cortese doesn't work here... I would not understand a Southampton with Nicola being here," he said.
"The person who has put his faith in me at Southampton is Nicola Cortese."
There has so far been no comment from Southampton but the news has seen Pochettino cut to 2/1 from 50/1 in Sky Bet's 'next Premier League manager to leave' market.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Have heard players like Shaw love working with Cortese to the extent that they had asked for a clause that they can leave if he is no longer at the club.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
It would be a real shame. Southampton have come leaps and bounds from a few seasons ago and are a financially healthy club with a stellar academy.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Whatever happens they've still got that remarkably efficient academy of theirs, one of the best in the country.

Shaw is a lifelong Chelsea supporter is he not? If they are in the hunt i think it is going to be a struggle for Moyes to secure his signature. Maybe we target Ben Davies in a fw years instead and sign Coentrao in the interim.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Talksport's south coast correspondent:
"It is my understanding that Pochettino will reaffirm his support for Cortese and threat to leave Southampton in this week's pre-match press conference."

"I have never encountered a group of players so dedicated to a chairman at a football club."

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"It is my understanding that Pochettino will reaffirm his support for Cortese and threat to leave Southampton in this week's pre-match press conference."
OMG Stop threating him

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Southampton fans were happy to enjoy the success that Leibherr's ownership has brought. Don't have too much sympathy for them as this is always the risk with foreign owners. They will look to leave when they become bored or can make a profit.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Breaking News -

Cortese has now in fact resigned.

Pochettino may well support Cortese and wish to leave in time, yet i can't help but feel that he has a duty to stand by Southampton at least until the summer.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If we really are after Shaw, then this is the time to pounce.

Sad as it is for the Saints fans, this is the opportune time for the wolves to strip the club of any assets (players) they've had their eye on.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
If we really are after Shaw, then this is the time to pounce.

Sad as it is for the Saints fans, this is the opportune time for the wolves to strip the club of any assets (players) they've had their eye on.

When there's no one about to get the deal done? Alright then...

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Southampton are in a healthy financial position nowadays so there is no incentive for the club to sell from that PoV. Additionally if the Liebherr family do intend to walk away in the near future then it will be of benefit were some of the stars to remain, much could depend on Pochettino's eventual replacement should that prove necessary.

The woman whose dad owned the club has installed herself as chairman.
Is that so very irregular, particularly under these circumstances?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Was responding to ThatsHernandez saying there is nobody on their side to do the deal(s).

Isn't Cortese leaving because she wants to cash-in and sell?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Was responding to ThatsHernandez saying there is nobody on their side to do the deal(s).

Isn't Cortese leaving because she wants to cash-in and sell?
Oh, understood.

From what i can gather these tensions between the two first arose last summer when the now chair of the club wanted more direct involvement in decisions, Cortese has been ruling the roost by himself for a few years and didn't take too kindly to sharing power. It could be that with us in the middle of the January window Ms Liebherr attempted to exert some oversight a second time.

I wouldn't be surprised if she is considering a sale though, this could be the high watermark for Southampton [who have been in a bad run of form for some time IIRC] and she lacks her late father's vision or interest.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Sky are having fun reporting the updates to unfolding events there. I think they'll reveal all the details sooner or later. They were saying earlier that her dad bought the club as an investment when they were struggling and that this may be the best time to sell. Shame if that's the case because the way it sounds, them being sold on at their assumed zenith was always on the cards.

It doesn't sound like there's anything but bad news on the way for Saints fans, though.