Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Just received this PM from a German newbie member who can't post in this forum, so I'm forwarding it here. Replies are discouraged though seeing he can't post to reply.

Shitting on Germany is all well and good, even though most posters doing so show no understanding at all. First, German Gas demands and Nuclear are mostly two separate issues. 50% of the Gas goes into so called industrial processes (manufacturing, chemical) and roughly 25% into heat generation for district heating. Feck all to do with Nuclear. If it were only for Electricity Generation, a short to mid-term substitution of Gas with Coal wouldn’t be an issue. And that’s the only part where the outsourcing of Nuclear is relevant. Second, with NS2 Germany sacrificed a lot while the Russian oil sector will not be sanctioned by the US. As a reminder: the US imported more crude oil and oil products from Russia in 2021 than EVER BEFORE in history. fecking hypocrisy.

Anyway, my conclusion: it’s all good to point out Russian BS propaganda but many users in this thread are not one iota better when it comes to Germany, sprouting BS and misinformation. Additionally NO country in Europe has supported Ukraine with more money than Germany since 2014. But hey, who cares about such minor details. Let’s shit on us.

alexthelion

Mine problem with this thread is that you must go with a flow. It is like RAWK's thread about Klopp. Here you must say Putin evil, damn Russia etc...if you say something different; you are Putin lover.
There is no geopolitical situation which is black or white. World is not Tolkiens world where you have pure evil (Mordor) and pure good (Elves). Russia have their demands because they feel threatened by NATO. They wanted Nato troops out from Nato countries and THAT demand is a no go, of course. But why would assurance from NATO that Ukraine will not join NATO, be a no go? Maaaaybe, just maybe that would have been good diplomatic starting point.
It's not about NATO, it's about Russian expansionism and claiming back their "empire". Former USSR states are joining NATO because they feel threatened by Russia (and with reason).

Why should Ukraine not be allowed, as a sovereign country, to choose their own course of action? If that includes joining NATO, so be it.

As bad as the West can be, they pale into insignificance compared to Russia.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Please read this whole thread with Zelensky addressing the russian people:

It's powerful and depressing at the same time...

God bless the Ukraine

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
The sanctions are not on yet and the graph doesn't include the cost of the military buildup and sustaining 200000 troops in the field in a fighting war. Six to eight months of sustaining this effort without Ukrainian capitulation and the Russian economy collapses is the estimate.
If Ukraine can resist for more than 6 months of active combat then the financial cost won't even be the most important factor, because it will hurt Russia on other levels and it will significantly undermine the support for war inside Russia.

But I don't think Putin is planning a 6-month conflict, if the attack stalls or moves too slowly he might choose to just solidify the gains (most likely Donbass and a land bridge to Crimea) and call it a day. Putin is not an idiot (unlike what many think here).

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Everybody seems to think it's gonna be tonight.

Zelinsky's call now is just for the show really. The doors for diplomacy have already been officially closed and the US and France already cancelled diplomatic meetings earlier this week citing that exact point.

There will be some emotional speeches today and tomorrow (because the public opinion will be very important in the long run), but the key after the military conflict starts will really be how long the Ukrainian forces can resist. If they capitulate relatively quickly then expect some of the enthusiasm to support them to wane gradually. Conversely, if Ukraine can put up a good fight, then the Russian camp will get weaker with time and it might bring the whole operation to a halt.

Simbo

Well now he's got everyone believing his murderous rampage starts tonight I'm going to assume its standard Putin mind games and sleep soundly :nervous:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Ukraine's neighbors have been very anti-refugees in the last few years but I assume they'll allow ukrainians fleeing to cross their borders, right?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Ukraine's neighbors have been very anti-refugees in the last few years but I assume they'll allow ukrainians fleeing to cross their borders, right?
Definitely. I think Poland indicated they'll help. Russia is their common enemy.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When I look at the actual clip, my guess is that Blinken initially misheard the question. He specifies later that he can't put a date or time on it. I don't think he's truly implying here that Russia invades before the night is over.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Last edited:

Droid_Repairs

In case anybody was a bit confused by the meaning of this, BM-21 'Grads' are a very old but effective Russian multi-launch rocket system mounted to the back of a truck.

I'm not sure what Grads 'landing' means - presumably rockets hitting the ground near Mariupol.

You'd have thought the media would be on this by now though.