Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Two things to add on the question of asset seizure that haven't been mentioned yet:

Firstly, the legal issue is in fact incredibly complex, as acknowledged by Janet Yellen (the "international law" the West claims to be defending becomes a little less sacrosanct if one side can simply rewrite those laws when convenient). This conversation started with someone saying they had no idea why the West doesn't just seize the assets no matter the consequences or precedent, but it's nowhere near as simple as that. Economic reprisals during war are the prerogative of injured states, not of third countries. Ukraine exercised this right by seizing around $880 million in Russian assets within its borders in May 2022. But Ukraine's allies are not at war with Russia (hence the crux of the illegality). The West can't have it both ways, they can't claim wartime powers while still insisting they're not at war with Russia.

Also, there's the question of how that 300 billion is to be distributed. When Biden had Zelenskiy visit the US at the end of December to publicly beg for more money, the Biden Admin produced charts and graphs (they literally produced charts and graphs, it was comical) to show each senator how much their individual states were profiting from the Ukraine war. It was part of their strategy of temporarily shifting the narrative from "Ukraine is defending global democracy" to "The Ukraine war is a great job сreation scheme for America". 35 states in total were shown to be making a net profit out of the war through weapons contracts. But Europe does not and will never have anything close to America's capacity for supplying Ukraine with the weapons it needs, and neither does Japan or South Korea (ironically due to America forbidding it - yay sovereignty). When it comes to military - as opposed to economic - assistance, Ukraine can do nothing more useful with those 300 billion dollars than send it back over to Washington. "We need to seize Russian assets and give them to Ukraine" is a loosely defensible position, at least morally. The more accurate "The US should compel France and Belgium to hand Russian money over to American military contractors" is less so.

Don't get me wrong, there will be an announcement on February 24th that the West is going to send the profits on Russian assets to Ukraine. Biden has already channeled David Brent again by saying Ukraine needs another "morale boost" on the 2nd anniversary of the war. And some of the assets will eventually be seized and used for 'reconstruction', there's a legal path to that from what I've read. But the notion that 300 billion dollars are going to be "sent to Ukraine" is a non-starter. The problems it will create far outweigh the problems it will solve, and besides which (really the only point that matters...), it is economically unnecessary. US and EU aid to Ukraine has so far amounted to way more than $100 billion per year. This sum is sustainable for the transatlantic economy, if they're serious about supporting Ukraine long-term (they're not but that's another issue).

So to close out my first point, I'm 99% sure the West will go with the far less risky approach of funding Ukraine with the several billion euros in annual profits accruing from Russian assets. This will redirect income streams rather than touching the principal, making international legal ramifications a lot milder. It also avoids the problematic optics of US senators taking money of the Russian people (that's what the frozen central bank reserves essentially are) held in Europe and re-distributing it to their pals at Raytheon and Lockheed Martin. This new policy will be announced on February 24th, with a huge amount of fanfare. It will change nothing at all about the outcome of the war or its aftermath, but hey, just like those EU membership talks in lieu of new money or weapons...morale-boost I guess.

The 2nd issue to mention has already been touched on above: future negotiations. Despite Raoul's claim a couple of pages ago that Russia has taken no significant territory, Russia currently controls trillions of dollars of Ukrainian assets. At one point it was estimated at 12.4 trillion...

https://markets.businessinsider.com...gy-metals-oil-gas-coal-deposits-secdev-2022-8

...and is now reckoned to be 'down to' around 8 trillion following the autumn 2022 counteroffensives in Kharviv and Kherson. If the lines were frozen now, Ukraine would permanently lose around 40% of its wealth.That's a non-functioning country. No country can survive such a loss and still support a population of around 40 million people (assuming the 10 million who have either left or now find themselves in Russian-controlled territory return). Ukraine needs constant Western help just to pay salaries to their civil servants, never mind the military. That can't continue forever. Prior to the war Ukraine was already the 2nd poorest country in Europe after Moldova. Try running Europe's largest country again with 40% less wealth and resources. 300 billion won't even come close to footing the bill for reconstruction (already estimated at well over a trillion dollars), let alone get the economy back on its feet. I strongly encourage people to stop posting garbage Twitter accounts in this thread like The Institute for the Study of War (a delusional propaganda "think tank" run by Robert Kagan, Victoria Nuland's husband) and the UK's DoD, and follow instead the accounts of Zelenskiy's own circle (Yermak, Podolyak...). They consistently speak about the existential necessity of taking back their land due to the economic value of it. If Russia keeps what it currently has, Ukraine cannot function as an independent state. They directly state this over and over again when people suggest 'giving' Russia territories in return for peace, but nobody is listening to them. If Russia DID actually control worthless land, as Raoul suggests, they'd have happily signed a 'peace deal' already. But it's not worthless. It's the lifeblood of the Ukrainian economy and they need it back in order to survive.

Hence - future negotiations. Putin wants back into the global financial system. That's America's primary leverage (acknowledged by Yellen in the same speech about the difficulty of seizing Russian money). Legalising the theft of Russian assets massively complicates that. "Once in a generation intellect" Jake Sullivan (even by the subterranean standards of the Biden Admin, a jaw-droppingly stupid individual) has begun to prattle on about a potential future economic "sharing" of the 4 regions Russia has annexed, but all of this entirely misses the point - made repeatedly by Zelenskiy's people - that Ukraine cannot allow itself to lose what Russia has taken to any degree. They're not saying "send us more weapons" because they love fighting, they're saying it because taking back their land is the only way Ukraine survives as a viable state. Giving Russia the territories it currently controls is a slow economic death for Ukraine. I am seemingly the only person in this thread who thinks Putin is a very rational actor who WILL negotiate in good faith with a competent West. He has a 23 year record of hundreds of thousands of deals with non-Western countries which have not been broken, at some point the West may want to take a look at itself for its role in this shitshow (spoiler alert, it won't). There are, I believe, things the West can still do to ensure Ukraine gets out of this with a not-terrible deal (they're never going to get a good deal now). The problem is that 22 months into the war, there is still nobody offering real leadership on Ukraine's behalf, they're still just spewing out empty "morale-boosting" nonsense.

As I wrote in a previous post, Ukraine has no good options now. It is going to lose the war and Russia will achieve the 4 objectives set out at the start (occupation of Ukraine never being one of them). The standard of Western "leaders" is the lowest I've ever known it and Ukraine is unfortunate to be in this mess during the weakest era in living memory of American and European 'leadership'. Mike Johnson gave an interview yesterday and reiterated that he's not going to approve more Ukraine funding until Biden provides (I quote) "a clear endgame in Ukraine. A clear strategy. A clear statement of what our goals there are". That's problematic, because there is no endgame, there is no strategy, and they have no idea what their goals are (for the record, more funding will be approved, probably in February. This brinkmanship over the border is just political theatre). The ONLY way Ukraine could ever 'win' this war was by militarily defeating Russia. Zelenskiy has said this a thousand times, to his credit he has zero tolerance for all this meaningless Western bullshit about how "Putin has already lost because Ukraine is still a free state!". The West decided not to let Ukrainian victory happen when they had the chance. Now it's my firm belief and bedrock conviction that Ukraine will just be the latest American project to be led down the garden path and then tossed aside when it becomes inconvenient. The Kurds and Afghans can commiserate.
That is a great post, specially on the economic and west behaviour perspective but i dont agree on putin's analisys. As much as he respected agreements on non european countries is because it was convenient for him.

We can take also what happen with the CSTO when armenia and azerbaijan showdown happened. Not to be seen. It might be understandabledue to the ukraine war but there is that. It was not convenient for putin to put resources on a defense treaty forfeiting it and abandoning armenia.

Also the 2014 invasion was supposed to be the last. We would probably agree that the west meddling in ukraine before 2014 russia but i cant condone war as a result to lose the political geostrategical influence. At the same time, US had been doing that in the entirety of the XXs century. But thats another tale.

Agreeing with putin on. Negotations would not guarantee anything at all. Specially because in 10 years putin might not be there and someone else might decide to push through emboldened by the loss of influence of the west vs china (will see what happens with taiwan).

All in all, there is a stalemate in ukraine. On the field and geostrategically because as you point out the west has little appetite for more and also because it seems is just business for the US while depleting the old enemy resources while they dont care ukraine beeds out.

And at the other side putin is not truatworthy to negociate with.

2024 is very key. Biden reelection might move the pieces in favour of ukraine. Trump could turn the table pretty quick and even menacing other european countries

Lemoor

So to close out my first point, I'm 99% sure the West will go with the far less risky approach of funding Ukraine with the several billion euros in annual profits accruing from Russian assets. This will redirect income streams rather than touching the principal, making international legal ramifications a lot milder. It also avoids the problematic optics of US senators taking money of the Russian people (that's what the frozen central bank reserves essentially are) held in Europe and re-distributing it to their pals at Raytheon and Lockheed Martin. This new policy will be announced on February 24th, with a huge amount of fanfare. It will change nothing at all about the outcome of the war or its aftermath, but hey, just like those EU membership talks in lieu of new money or weapons...morale-boost I guess.
I love that the previous completely absurd predictions never coming to fruition don't stop you from making new ones with even more conviction.

Suedesi

The US and Europe have 300billion in frozen Russian assets they can use to continue funding for another 5 years.
This would signal the end of the USD's role as the reserve currency, significantly diminishing the likelihood of countries holding USD in reserves or opting to finance US debt.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This would signal the end of the USD's role as the reserve currency, significantly diminishing the likelihood of countries holding USD in reserves or opting to finance US debt.
It certainly would for authoritarian dictatorships seeking to invade their neighbors for no valid reason.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think this is a good point to remember. Regardless of Western aid, I expect Ukraine to continue to fight but Russia will make frontline gains as Ukraine eventually has to shift to lower intensity resistance.

Also, the West has influence on Ukraine while providing aid. I think I recall reading that Ukraine had plans on attacking Wagner in Syria but eventually halted those plans. But if we stop giving aid, there is less incentive for Ukraine to consult the West or take the West's interests into account. And things may get nastier than they already are.

Anyway, Western aid will likely continue.

Last edited:

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
That is a great post, specially on the economic and west behaviour perspective but i dont agree on putin's analisys. As much as he respected agreements on non european countries is because it was convenient for him.

We can take also what happen with the CSTO when armenia and azerbaijan showdown happened. Not to be seen. It might be understandabledue to the ukraine war but there is that. It was not convenient for putin to put resources on a defense treaty forfeiting it and abandoning armenia.

Also the 2014 invasion was supposed to be the last. We would probably agree that the west meddling in ukraine before 2014 russia but i cant condone war as a result to lose the political geostrategical influence. At the same time, US had been doing that in the entirety of the XXs century. But thats another tale.

Agreeing with putin on. Negotations would not guarantee anything at all. Specially because in 10 years putin might not be there and someone else might decide to push through emboldened by the loss of influence of the west vs china (will see what happens with taiwan).

All in all, there is a stalemate in ukraine. On the field and geostrategically because as you point out the west has little appetite for more and also because it seems is just business for the US while depleting the old enemy resources while they dont care ukraine beeds out.

And at the other side putin is not truatworthy to negociate with.

2024 is very key. Biden reelection might move the pieces in favour of ukraine. Trump could turn the table pretty quick and even menacing other european countries
Obviously, Biden winning is key, and if he does, i reckon the house flips back to dems as well, unfortunately, thats not enough.

Dems needs a trifecta to avoid republicans taking Ukraine-aid hostage, there may be a majority in the senate now, that favors aid, but if GOP takes back the senate, which is pretty likely, then who is to tell the senate majority leader simply refuses to bring up the bills for a vote?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Obviously, Biden winning is key, and if he does, i reckon the house flips back to dems as well, unfortunately, thats not enough.

Dems needs a trifecta to avoid republicans taking Ukraine-aid hostage, there may be a majority in the senate now, that favors aid, but if GOP takes back the senate, which is pretty likely, then who is to tell the senate majority leader simply refuses to bring up the bills for a vote?
Certantly Biden relected is not enough, but is the only path in this elections. Other pieces falling in place will affect the liklyhood of ukraine to receive aid or not. And even with a trifecta, doesnt guarantee anything as the west might decide that it doesnt worth it anymore as in the end is business and they already hurted russia. They care little of ukraine and it might be less apetite to keep going. Specially with israel conflict and with taiwan in the horizon

But with trump it wouls go to shitters pretty quickly

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It certainly would for authoritarian dictatorships seeking to invade their neighbors for no valid reason.
Too bad we didn't think of that for enlightened democracies doing exactly the same thing.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I think this is a good point to remember. Regardless of Western aid, I expect Ukraine to continue to fight but Russia will make frontline gains as Ukraine eventually has to shift to lower intensity resistance.

Also, the West has influence on Ukraine while providing aid. I think I recall reading that Ukraine had plans on attacking Wagner in Syria but eventually halted those plans. But if we stop giving aid, there is less incentive for Ukraine to consult the West or take the West's interests into account. And things may get nastier than they already are.

It's not about it continuing or not (I think it will), but will it continue in a meaningful way allowing the Ukrainians to fight on an even ground? If it's as it was until now, I fail to see what the West's endgame is.

Abizzz

Too bad we didn't think of that for enlightened democracies doing exactly the same thing.
So what? Did Afghanistan or Irak not fight back because you think the US got it wrong?

It's such an incredibly naive thought to think democracies will never fight their corner again because they got some things wrong in the past.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
So what? Did Afghanistan or Irak not fight back because you think the US got it wrong?

It's such an incredibly naive thought to think democracies will never fight their corner again because they got some things wrong in the past.
The irony.

Abizzz

The irony.
What? Democracies have interests and they fight for them. The thought that they need to be holy nuns or else some bloke on the internet can righteously claim "hypocrisy" is laughable.

(*well the bloke can claim it but to the same effect as stroking himself. We have some posters on here who almost exclusively do that on here these days, sadly).

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
What? Democracies have interests and they fight for them. The thought that they need to be holy nuns or else some bloke on the internet can righteously claim "hypocrisy" is laughable.

(*well the bloke can claim it but to the same effect as stroking himself. We have some posters on here who almost exclusively do that on here these days, sadly).
If some bloke(s) on internet or elsewhere would not call them out in their hypocrisy, they would do much worse

Abizzz

If some bloke(s) on internet or elsewhere would not call them out in their hypocrisy, they would do much worse
I wish I had the confidence to claim other people in power in countries far away only act the way they do because of my opinion about them.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

In case you haven’t noticed, appeals to hypocrisy are a very popular means of point scoring on Internet forums. Particularly among people with limited knowledge about the topic.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Unless Moscow Mitch decides to retire he's the senate majority leader in this scenario, given he's very much in favor of Ukrainian aid he's not likely to refuse taking up bills

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
In case you haven’t noticed, appeals to hypocrisy are a very popular means of point scoring on Internet forums. Particularly among people with limited knowledge about the topic.
Pot, kettle and all that.

Last edited:

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City

Oh I'm fully aware and under no illusion. Being all worked up, you kinda missed my point.

I just wish some on this forum would come off that high horse which has been shot by a 155mm shell aeons ago, and call a spade a spade.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
And saying that "appeals to hypocrisy are a very popular means of point scoring on Internet forums" and accusing people of having "limited knowledge about the topic" are very popular means of avoiding having to admit our side fecks up all the time but let's focus on the bad guys instead, therefore squashing any deeply needed self reflection and any possible change.

Abizzz

Oh I'm fully aware and under no illusion. Being all worked up, you kinda missed my point.

I just wish some on this forum would come off that high horse which has been shot by a 155mm shell aeons ago, and call a spade a spade.
I just think it's gotten a bit boring playing the 2004 hits. It beats the Vietcong hits, but not by much. I find it especially funny when talking about conflicts in regions where every country involved has more skeletons hidden away than any Vegas hotel has closets.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

You have to remember how incompetent and fatigued the Russian side are as well. They're literally using prisoners and other Russians who aren't allowed to leave the battlefield under penalty of execution, to fight for them. This is not the initial wave of fresh Russian troops complimented by Wagner that we saw in the first 6-12 months of the conflict. Therefore at this point, Putin may appear to be unrelenting by sending new waves of missiles every day, but the actual manpower to take any substantial Ukrainian cities is highly questionable - even with Ukrainians running low on ammo.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I wish I had the confidence to claim other people in power in countries far away only act the way they do because of my opinion about them.
Thats why i put it in plural. The same opinion in numbers matters even if it ia only to identify another way to make business from us

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I guess George W Bush was on to something with his “Axis of Evil” including Iran and North Korea, the two countries supplying Russia.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I'm not sure how one could attempt a full-scale invasion of Ukraine using 190,000 troops against Ukraine's 700,000. It seems Moscow aimed to instigate a coup, establish a puppet government, consolidate control over Crimea, secure concessions in the eastern regions, and then conclude their "special operation". Clearly, they grossly miscalculated, failing to anticipate the fierce resistance that significantly thwarted their efforts.
So you’re now denying Russia attempted a full scale invasion of Ukraine?!?! Seriously?!?! Talk about trying to rewrite history. You are in denial my foolish friend.

Rajma

For those that still don’t get how to deal with Russia, a real case study provided by Ukrianian armed forces:

Ukraine now exports more grain through black sea than at a time of grain agreement mediated by Turkey / UN. After russia has unilaterally from the agreement and decided to impose a black sea blockade, Ukraine responded by driving out russian black sea fleet from Crimea by force using the kinetic means.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
For those that still don’t get how to deal with Russia, a real case study provided by Ukrianian armed forces:

Ukraine now exports more grain through black sea than at a time of grain agreement mediated by Turkey / UN. After russia has unilaterally from the agreement and decided to impose a black sea blockade, Ukraine responded by driving out russian black sea fleet from Crimea by force using the kinetic means.
Also worth mentioning is that a deal with Putin means nothing at all. He would simply treat it as a pause in fighting to re-attack further into Ukrainian territory at a later date. The reason he shouldn't be allowed to take all of Ukraine is the same reason he shouldn't be allowed to take any of it.

RedDevilQuebecois

Those M242 Bushmaster chain guns are no joke.

Meanwhile in Saint Petersburg, disgruntled Russians did this as a response to a Putin-ordered raid that forced masses of workers to fight in Ukraine. The smoke from that fire is really something else over the city when you see the last picture in the thread.

Simbo

I suppose when you're not allowed to protest, or even speak, you turn to other options.