Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Maticmaker

I'm not talking about how it's presented to the Russian people,
Of course, but I was saying how he (Putin) does present it to the Russian people. Lets be honest if the Russian people wanted freedom and democracy they would have chosen it, like Ukraine has. Although there are probably lots of people in Russia who would welcome democracy, there must still be a significant number of the Russian population that does not want democracy, otherwise Putin would not be in power, they have been told to fear the West (in some cases with a certain amount of justification) and Putin plays to that fear.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Leading the way.
The ridiculous thing is that the UK government is creating bottlenecks that make it very difficult for Ukrainians (or others) to come to the UK. Everything we have seen from the Ukraine, Poland, Hungary, Moldova, Slovakia and Romania borders suggests that they have done the upmost to process the maximum number of people that they can and eliminate all the bottlenecks they can: no-one needs to get a visa in advance to enter the Schengen zone and they can just travel to an open border crossing. There may be wait there and people may be prioritised based on a number of factors, but there is still an endeavour to make this as simple as possible and get the maximum rate of people processed.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Of course, but I was saying how he (Putin) does present it to the Russian people. Lets be honest if the Russian people wanted freedom and democracy they would have chosen it, like Ukraine has. Although there are probably lots of people in Russia who would welcome democracy, there must still be a significant number of the Russian population that does not want democracy, otherwise Putin would not be in power, they have been told to fear the West (in some cases with a certain amount of justification) and Putin plays to that fear.
Are you serious? Elections are rigged and real opponents are either sent to jail or killed. How should democracy prevail under this kind of regime?

Interval

Level
Not sure if discussed yet. It seems like Zelensky is pissed with NATO too

https://en.interfax.com.ua/news/general/809287.html

President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky has again called on Russian President Vladimir Putin for a dialogue, stressing that Ukraine is ready to talk and seek compromises, but is not ready to capitulate.

"First of all, I'm ready for a dialogue, but we're not ready for surrender," Zelensky said in an interview with the American television channel ABC News, asked whether Ukraine is ready to comply with the demands of the Russian Federation for a ceasefire: to change the Constitution and refuse to join NATO, recognize Crimea as Russian, recognize the independence of the so-called LPR/DPR.

"Because it's not about me, it's about the people who elected me. Regarding NATO, I lost interest in this issue after we realized that NATO is not ready to accept Ukraine. The alliance is afraid of contradictory things and confrontation with the Russian Federation," he added.

He also noted that Ukraine does not want to be a country that "begs for something on its knees, and we are not going to be such a country, I do not want to be such a president."

"I'm talking about security guarantees. I think that we can discuss and find a compromise on the points about the temporarily occupied territories and unrecognized republics, which are not recognized by anyone except the Russian Federation," Zelensky said.

At the same time, he stressed that the key issue is how people in these territories will live, who want to be part of Ukraine.

"What needs to be done is Putin needs to start talking, start a dialogue, instead of living in an information balloon without oxygen. I think that's where he is," he said.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
"Information balloon without oygen". Great phrasing

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
War in Ukraine: how far will Putin go? | The Economist

Well, that was depressing. It paints a picture of Putin as someone with total power inside Russia, isolated from everyone except a small circle of people who are committed all the way with him, and willing to escalate if needed all the way up and and including the use of nukes.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Sounds like Zelensky wants to find middle ground as well. Could we be in for the end of war?

Smores

Make no mistake China has all the imperialist ambitions of Britain, US, Romans and Greeks rolled into one. They're sitting and watching right now but whether it's in 10 years or 50 years they will be in Taiwan and that will only be the start.
Calm down dear :lol:

Anyway think we need a new thread for all the China boogeyman discussion. To keep this one on topic of course.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Not dismissing the terrible nature of whatever happened here.

But it all seems so staged. The car stopped perfectly next to what appears to be a static CCTV pole, the only camera in the area.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Well, that was depressing. It paints a picture of Putin as someone with total power inside Russia, isolated from everyone except a small circle of people who are committed all the way with him, and willing to escalate if needed all the way up and and including the use of nukes.
Depends who you are listening to. The Putin ex-advisor doesn't think he will go nuke. Thinks he will push the envelope but won't cross that line.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Yes, there are simply not sufficient people in Russia who want democracy enough to do anything about it!
The problem here is that the Russian people have never even really experienced democracy. Under the Tsars, many people were virtually slaves (serfs), Stalin had total power and murdered millions, no democracy under the Communist Party leaders that followed, then a brief "something" with the collapse of the Soviet Union until Putin took over.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

But it all seems so staged. The car stopped perfectly next to what appears to be a static CCTV pole, the only camera in the area.
I thought that too I must say.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Except, you know, the next Tweet in the Twitter thread shows the car with bodies in it. But I guess that must be staged as well. Right?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Watch it closely. The old man obviously sees the military vehicles coming from the other way (you can just about see this through the brush from the video) and rightfully stops, as anyone would.

Cameras are ubiquitous these days, how do you know it's the only one in the area?

Eurotrash

Or rather, this is the one out of a hundred such instances that was caught on camera.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Except, you know, the next Tweet in the Twitter thread shows the car with bodies in it. But I guess that must be staged as well. Right?
Did it? I stand corrected yet again.

My Twitter feed isn’t showing further tweets / replies now.

Conor

Awful stuff.

But I'm supposed to feel bad if that same APC shows up later on as a burning wreck... right...
As multiple people have already said, it's not about feeling sad about about Russian troops dying; it's about not actively celebrating death like this is some sort of gameshow. It's a very un-American concept, so I understand why you're having trouble with it :D

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Oh man, this is too brilliant. Polish politicians are getting tired of those from Western Europe coming in for the photo opportunities. Italian journos then rip into Salvini for walking away.

Edit: replaced with full video and context

Last edited:

Maticmaker

The problem here is that the Russian people have never even really experienced democracy. Under the Tsars, many people were virtually slaves (serfs), Stalin had total power and murdered millions, no democracy under the Communist Party leaders that followed, then a brief "something" with the collapse of the Soviet Union until Putin took over.
Yes, you are probably correct, democracy as a political dictum has hardly existed in Russia for centuries if at all (not all that well up on my Russian history). The idea of a strong leader a Tsar, a Communist Dictator, or simply a Dictator like Putin, seems to run through the Russian consciousness, even when it leads to ultimate failure, sometimes ends in disaster, it must seem to ordinary Russians that 'well it was better than the last lot' ...so lets try again!

I think I misunderstood what you wrote!
OK, (see also above,)there just does not seem that there are enough Russians, with experience of democracy to want to oppose their government or to try to force a change.

RedDevilQuebecois

Neutral, they say
Considering how despicable Chinese journalists worldwide have been in the last few years, especially those working with Global Times, I wish them all the "fun" they will get. Hopefully, it should be interesting if Ukrainian forces end up capturing a few of those Chinese reporters after we saw Western journalists getting shot at by Russian troops.

No surprises here. This should be blasted on Western news channels to once and for all remove any doubt where China stands with regard to its ambitions.
IKR? With the amount of shit that Chinese media spout against the West, a little bit of a direct payback is well deserved here.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Oh man, this is too brilliant. Polish politicians are getting tired of those from Western Europe coming in for the photo opportunities. Italian journos then rip into Salvini for walking away.

What was he even thinking going there? Jesus, those people seem to think everybody has the memory of a gold fish. Complete lack of self reflection