Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What was he even thinking going there? Jesus, those people seem to think everybody has the memory of a gold fish. Complete lack of self reflection
It’s a real shame Patel didn’t get a lynching.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Except, you know, the next Tweet in the Twitter thread shows the car with bodies in it. But I guess that must be staged as well. Right?
With all due respect - it would be quite easy to stage with the dead bodies,

Just seems, in this war of propaganda, that this might not be all it's cracked up to be. Everything seemed to fall into place at the right place at the right time (or wrong time even).

Champ

Watch it closely. The old man obviously sees the military vehicles coming from the other way (you can just about see this through the brush from the video) and rightfully stops, as anyone would.

Cameras are ubiquitous these days, how do you know it's the only one in the area?
I'm questioning the fact that he stops in view of the camera. When he could have stopped anywhere/turned around/reversed. It's clear that this is some sort of entrance to a gated warehouse, there's one other pole there and nothing else in view of the camera.

Anyhow, I'm not going to debate this as it's clear someone lost their lives during this incident, whatever it may have been.

I was just trying to question the fact that this could be staged quite easily.

cyberman

I'm questioning the fact that he stops in view of the camera. When he could have stopped anywhere/turned around/reversed. It's clear that this is some sort of entrance to a gated warehouse, there's one other pole there and nothing else in view of the camera.

Anyhow, I'm not going to debate this as it's clear someone lost their lives during this incident, whatever it may have been.

Because this is happening daily over there and this is the one in a hundred that caught perfectly on camera?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Let's say it is revealed to be staged, it would be ridiculously stupid for the Ukrainian authorities to have done so, given how many incidents like this are being reported every day.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

It seems like even the rank and file in the Russian intelligence agencies a) didn't know about the invasion and b) thought it was a shitty idea. I read the whole report and it's a fascinating read. Even more interesting is it was written on March 1.

I see one of two things that could cause him to stop there.

He could have seen the APC through the gap in the trees.
There is also something coming down the road towards the car. It moves to avoid the first bullet spall and then goes around the car, probably a rat or something. He could have slowed or stopped for that, the same way you would if a dog runs in front of your own car.

Boavista

Not dismissing the terrible nature of whatever happened here.

But it all seems so staged. The car stopped perfectly next to what appears to be a static CCTV pole, the only camera in the area.
It looks suspicious because the video has a full view of everything, but that's probably just coincidence. If you look at google street view of where that happened, it's just monitoring the gate to a private house. I imagine more and more recordings like this will surface once people check their private security cameras. This supposedly happened on the 28th of February, and is only now on twitter. Earlier that day a Ukrainian official said they had destroyed a Russian convoy near Makariv, where this took place, but more Russian troops were still in the area. Of course that doesn't prove anything but I think it gives some context.

Varun

Staff
Powerful speech from Biden. US banning all gas and energy imports from Russia

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
With all due respect - it would be quite easy to stage with the dead bodies,

Just seems, in this war of propaganda, that this might not be all it's cracked up to be. Everything seemed to fall into place at the right place at the right time (or wrong time even).
"Right lads, I need a convoy of military vehicles driving past. We've only got six so space 'em out. "
"Billy, rig that car to stop at the exact moment I say."
"Trev. I want those dead bodies in that car and propped up for the close ups ASAP! No we need 'em in now so the tank fire can maim them."
"Tank Driver! Time your drive by so that you notice the car and shoot it through the trees just as it stops. You need to time it perfectly. If you can, also blow up the stop sign for added effect. Think you can handle that? Good lad."
"Now, I'll remind everyone we've only got a couple of cars and one stop sign so no arsing around. That convoy also needs to be elsewhere by 2pm. We need to get this in as few takes as possible."
"Positions everyone!"

Carolina Red

Staff
As multiple people have already said, it's not about feeling sad about about Russian troops dying; it's about not actively celebrating death like this is some sort of gameshow. It's a very un-American concept, so I understand why you're having trouble with it :D
I’m not the one having trouble.

Powerful speech from Biden. US banning all gas and energy imports from Russia
I hope governments have support plans ready because energy is going to get seriously expensive and test peoples' support of these sanctions. Oil price is at 128 and getting very close to all time record. The cost of these sanctions cannot be borne entirely by the citizens and it takes 8-12 months to increase the supply from other sources.

RedDevilQuebecois

How big a blow is this to Russia?
The key here is how much of an impetus the US decision has upon other European allies. It could well be the perfect excuse that some European politicians wanted to start moving towards different energy sources, making deals with other non-Russian entities.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
"Right lads, I need a convoy of military vehicles driving past. We've only got six so space 'em out. "
"Billy, rig that car to stop at the exact moment I say."
"Trev. I want those dead bodies in that car and propped up for the close ups ASAP! No we need 'em in now so the tank fire can maim them."
"Tank Driver! Time your drive by so that you notice the car and shoot it through the trees just as it stops. You need to time it perfectly. If you can, also blow up the stop sign for added effect. Think you can handle that? Good lad."
"Now, I'll remind everyone we've only got a couple of cars and one stop sign so no arsing around. That convoy also needs to be elsewhere by 2pm. We need to get this in as few takes as possible."
"Positions everyone!"
This is obviously the more believable option. Occam's razor and all that.

Champ

It looks suspicious because the video has a full view of everything, but that's probably just coincidence. If you look at google street view of where that happened, it's just monitoring the gate to a private house. I imagine more and more recordings like this will surface once people check their private security cameras. This supposedly happened on the 28th of February, and is only now on twitter. Earlier that day a Ukrainian official said they had destroyed a Russian convoy near Makariv, where this took place, but more Russian troops were still in the area. Of course that doesn't prove anything but I think it gives some context.
Yeah, that's fair enough, and the fact it's from the 28th and only just surfaced probably lends an element of authenticity to it.

Appreciate the extra info.

Zlatattack

Given how many completely unprecedented and unexpected things we have seen in recent weeks, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the US, UK and the EU/EEA/NATO countries all phase Russian oil and gas out very, very quickly, despite the pain it will cause and the question of whether governments will have to further subsidise the energy bills of their citizens. The foreseeable period isn't going to be a pleasant time for anyone.
I really wish we'd take green energy more seriously. Need to get away from oil and gas and the idea of a car in every household. It won't happen though - we'll be fracking instead.

Interval

Level
How big a blow is this to Russia?
Nada. At 130+ dollars a barrel countries like India, Pakistan, Brazil and China are fecked. They’ll buy if no one else is touching Russian stuff

All this bluster can also mean something if OPEC increases output to cover the shortfall easing off energy prices and giving an option to energy deficit countries to do the right thing without wrecking their economy.

awaiting US pressure on Saudi.

Simbo

I'm glad your've decided not to debate it cos... god damn, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Fingeredmouse

Of course, but I was saying how he (Putin) does present it to the Russian people. Lets be honest if the Russian people wanted freedom and democracy they would have chosen it, like Ukraine has. Although there are probably lots of people in Russia who would welcome democracy, there must still be a significant number of the Russian population that does not want democracy, otherwise Putin would not be in power, they have been told to fear the West (in some cases with a certain amount of justification) and Putin plays to that fear.
This post is fecking ridiculous.

Champ

I'm glad your've decided not to debate it cos... god damn, I wouldn't know where to begin.
Is it wrong to question what one sees on social media?

Especially during a war of such fierce propaganda?

Boycott

Zalensky just quoted Churchill’s “we shall fight on the beaches” speech to the House of Commons.
Fun fact about those famous Churchill quotes is the audio we all have heard were recorded after the war for historical legacy. He did say those things in parliament and was quoted as such but no one who wasn't present in the audience heard of him say it as the war was happening. Despite a generation of kids growing up and telling stories about where they were when Mr. Churchill spoke to the nation.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Are there confirmed reports that Ukraine are no longer insisting on NATO membership?