Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think to be fair that was very much the intention of Zelinsky. He wanted to show similarities between the UK and Ukraine RE the Nazi fight.

It was a direct reference to Churchill
Don't "be fair" - he's wrong and he deserves to be made aware that he's wrong. Whose side are you on?

Balljy

Banning the export of raw materials is an interesting move. What kind of sense does that make? Forcing supply shortage in the West?
That may be an after-effect, but I would think it's more to do with a hugely weakened rouble and having to bring more manufacturing internally to keep the economy moving and supply the public with what they need.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Banning the export of raw materials is an interesting move. What kind of sense does that make? Forcing supply shortage in the West?
Preserving raw materials for domestic consumption ? Maybe helping the war effort or a protracted shortage due to lack of imports ?

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Preserving raw materials for domestic consumption ? Maybe helping the war effort or a protracted shortage due to lack of imports ?
Did think of that (remember I asked you if he'd go down this path and switch to a war-footing, or at least try to, and this sort of hints at an isolationist version of that). Just weird if this was to involve the Asian market too.

frostbite

As a Greek I am telling you that this guy is a complete moron. Zero substance. He only wants to grab attention to himself. He almost single-handedly destroyed the Greek economy in 2015, we were very lucky that the head of his party threw him out!

It would be much more impactful if they also stopped paying them. I wonder if it's somehow illegal, but sounded like that is what IKEA is doing.
Nah, I disagree with that. McDonalds employees are not exactly millionaires, lots of them will be living paycheck to paycheck. Cutting them off is not fair in a country with such a weak welfare system.

Not specifically aimed at you but I find it strange how this is such a left leaning forum but so many people are quick to celebrate the hardship the average Russian citizen is and will be under, when most of them are in no position to do anything about Putin and the war.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Whatever about the rights or wrongs of Sweden declining to join NATO, I'm not sure doing so by echoing Russia's narrative that NATO has a destablising impact on the security situation in Europe is ideal. In the current context I would think they would have been better advised to re-emphasise that Russia is the destablising force here. Particularly given other countries may be looking to join NATO imminently.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
As a Greek I am telling you that this guy is a complete moron. Zero substance. He only wants to grab attention to himself. He almost single-handedly destroyed the Greek economy in 2015, we were very lucky that the head of his party threw him out!
A lot of Greeks say that :lol: the only bit I'm interested in is the Swedish part, ignoring his framing of it.

Rooney24

My two cents worth, which probably isn't much......Putin doesn't care about any of this import export stuff. He's a communist at heart and wants the old Soviet Union back. No trade, in or out , with the outside work doesn't bother him too much. He's very happy to have the iron curtain back up and look after Mother Russia only from the inside.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Will be interesting to see how much of an escalation this causes (if at all)

Although in essence no different to supplying a rifle or anti tank missiles I think supplying russian made planes to fight against Russia and backfilling that with us planes and presumably us pilots at least until conversion training us undertaken is quite a statement

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

Although in essence no different to supplying a rifle or anti tank missiles I think supplying russian made planes to fight against Russia and backfilling that with us planes and presumably us pilots at least until conversion training us undertaken is quite a statement
Probably quite a bit.

I cannot see anything changing with arms supplies even if Putin starts making threats.

Pintu

She also said in the same press conference that Sweden & Finland have written a letter to the EU about the mutual defense clause to put it on the agenda of EU:s next meeting. And she clearly implied that EU:s mututal clause offers enough security guaranties.

Some people here seem to be freaking out and making it look like we are as "helpless" and "threatened" as Ukraine was.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

My (dubious) theory is that all the demands No Fly Zones and the refusal of the US/NATO to go that far makes other steps that are short of it seem less of an escalation. In the absence of discussion of a NFZ, this would be seen as a much bigger escalation. How Putin sees this might be slightly different. I’ve been trying to think of places for the transfer to happen that would be feasible and make Russian response very difficult.

FerociousCorgis

She also said in the same press conference that Sweden & Finland have written a letter to the EU about the mutual defense clause to put it on the agenda of EU:s next meeting. And she clearly implied that EU:s mututal clause offers enough security guaranties.
yeah i mean at this point the EU defense clause and NATO defense stuff are pretty much intertwined with how many countries are in both. An EU partner gets attacked, another EU partner who happens to be a NATO country as well joins, now that second country gets their troops attacked would that not bring in NATO now as well

Pintu

Whatever about the rights or wrongs of Sweden declining to join NATO, I'm not sure doing so by echoing Russia's narrative that NATO has a destablising impact on the security situation in Europe is ideal. In the current context I would think they would have been better advised to re-emphasise that Russia is the destablising force here. Particularly given other countries may be looking to join NATO imminently.
That was re-emphasized many times in the same Press conference by our Prime Minister. But people who hate the government are just taking that "bad quote" out of context.

TheReligion

Abusive
It would be much more impactful if they also stopped paying them. I wonder if it's somehow illegal, but sounded like that is what IKEA is doing.
Nah, I disagree with that. McDonalds employees are not exactly millionaires, lots of them will be living paycheck to paycheck. Cutting them off is not fair in a country with such a weak welfare system.

Not specifically aimed at you but I find it strange how this is such a left leaning forum but so many people are quick to celebrate the hardship the average Russian citizen is and will be under, when most of them are in no position to do anything about Putin and the war.
Agreed.

Don’t stop paying them. They are going to suffer enough at the moment and the pay they do receive will be worthless.

Spark

What’s the equivalent to a Fulcrum?
F16s surely? Will just need to train the Polish pilots, which would take time. So imagine the US will need to act as Poland’s air defence for the time being.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Poland already operates F-16s so I assume they’ll get newer F-16s with better tech. Some of the issues with transferring US planes is lots of tech is nontransferable to other countries. The US won’t even transfer F-22s to the UK or Canada.

TheReligion

Abusive

Some people here seem to be freaking out and making it look like we are as "helpless" and "threatened" as Ukraine was.
I’m not sure what benefits the EU clause offers tbh? There’s one nuclear power in the EU (France) and its debatable what the majority of other EU nations bring to the table in terms of military threat.

NATO has the additional US and UK benefit (two nuclear powers who put a hell of a lot of military personnel and equipment into NATO)

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
F16s surely? Will just need to train the Polish pilots, which would take time. So imagine the US will need to act as Poland’s air defence for the time being.
Checked and Poland already has 48 f16c

Compared to 23 mig fulcrum

As such they probably have pilots mechanics and munitions if USA sends f16c with minimal need for support personell

F15. Twin engine highly survivable air superiority fighter from the same era. I don't know how well updated the Polish aircraft will be, I'd assume more than the Ukrainian aircraft they're replacing but will the pilots know how to use any additional capability?

I also doubt the US will send F15s as they're transitioning to the EX model now. Probably Poland will get the easier to run F16.