Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
So it’s not going to really achieve anything then, it’s a historic moment in parliament but that’s it

Everything you’ve stated that could occur as a result of this speech are all things that would probably happen anyway

More sanctions are always going too occur

There’s already been a backlash on the visa situation so naturally that would increase

And support for Ukraine is their anyway except involving our militaries

My post didn’t have a point, it was a question

What would this speech achieve, I’m not criticising the Ukraine president doing the speech, I’m just curious as to what it would actually achieve, in truth the Ukraine president is just going to probably get the same response as before which deep down isn’t enough from his perspective.

The historic rally call it was being built up too be has essentially turned out to be a pointless round of applause where the end product is what we were doing in the first place and were going too do.

There’s certainly no harm in any of it of course, but he’s not going to get his NFZ from it which is what he really wants above most other sanctions
The word from journos is that Zelenskyy was invited by the PM to do a speech in the Commons after he had already addressed the European Parliament. Make of that what you will as to the motivations. I doubt if we were still in the EU that he would have done a speech to the Commons too!

The simultaneous interpreter didn’t do the best job, but it is always a thankless task. Maybe it should have been pre-recorded and either interpreted or subtitled, especially as there was no back and forth. Zelenskyy’s addresses to the Ukrainian public have been consistently excellent and that didn’t really come across here. Most go up on his Telegram channel with a English subtitled version to follow.

I just can’t believe we have still not moved meaningfully on the visa situation. It’s quite farcical that people cannot just present themselves at the border.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Getting trucked in would probably result in the Russians picking them off. If they fly in from Germany, they can make the excuse that they picked them up and were allowed to flyover NATO territory en route back to Ukraine.
They seem to be managing to truck in missiles (etc) - so why not crated jets?

Simbo

What's it got to do with 'breaking' people??

Surely we should question everything from all sides, not just from one?
I'm sorry, I'm probably following these events more than most. This isn't an isolated incident, civilians are being brutally murdered in this fashion on a daily basis (can link you more footage if you like). What's most scary about instances such as this one caught on film is the likely number of similar killings that aren't. Not to mention the indescriminate carpet bombings of residential areas going on as we speak.

So it just blows mind how it can even enter the head of anyone that Ukraine would be staging any video like that for propaganda.

Its perhaps a symptom of a discussion forum that actually bans footage of the topic from being posted.

The "propaganda war" going on here is 95%+ one-sided, a facist state trying to justify the unjustifiable. I understand the assumption that Ukraine would be pushing their own progaganda, as they have every right to if it helps them win this war, but they don't need to here, this is as one sided as it gets. We dont' even know for sure if their russian casualty numbers are exagerated.

Question everything, but stick around for the answers.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Not dismissing the terrible nature of whatever happened here.

But it all seems so staged. The kid started singing so perfectly next to what appears to be a static CCTV pole, the only camera in the area.
-As if any of this terrible shit would be staged. Insanity.
:lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They seem to be managing to truck in missiles (etc) - so why not crated jets?
Missiles and airplanes are obviously very different. You also have the problem of finding airfields from which to fly them and the Russians not finding out where the planes are located. Even if they fly in once from Germany, they are guaranteed to do a lot of damage to Russian vehicles and logistical capacity.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I was worried I wasn’t going to get to try a guilt-free Chicken Big Mac.

The number of big retail, fast food and consumer goods businesses worth boycotting in the UK for still operating in Russia dwindles by the day. Who’s left? Burger King and KFC? Separately you have products from Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Danone, Mondelez and Nestle.

I am a still bit confused as to whether Tesco have stores in Russia.

CraftySoAndSo

Heard such on MSNBC while doing other shit, but made me pause. There’s also stories of animals that have made it safely to Poland, so let’s focus on those guys. Better than the alternative.
I have a bad habit of focusing more on negatives than positives sometimes but yes it's very good to hear at least some have got to safety.

Jotun

Russia having some gains today. Their advance is slower and more delibarate. In the last few days there doesn't seem to be as many videos of them losing vehicles and equipment. Looks like they are becoming serious. Let's see how much they can gain before they are spent. Race against time.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Good thread to remind you why individual people are willing to fight and resist to the very last. You’d think they’d be a bit more warm to living in Putin’s buffer zone.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Missiles and airplanes are obviously very different. You also have the problem of finding airfields from which to fly them and the Russians not finding out where the planes are located. Even if they fly in once from Germany, they are guaranteed to do a lot of damage to Russian vehicles and logistical capacity.
I don't see one-off suicide runs from Germany being on the agenda. Thinking about it, I reckon an earlier poster could be right - flown to Germany to have certain things added and/or removed. Then they could be flown back to Poland to an airbase close the Ukraine border, then flown by Ukrainian pilots over the border very low to evade radar to the nearest functioning airfield.

Simbo

Started re-watching the "Russian Roulette" series Vice News did with a reporter as close to the front lines as it possibly gets, from the invasion of Crimea. Simon Ostrovsky is incredible, he even did a week in the gulag.

Highly recommended watch for anyone interested in the 2014 episode of this war, 100+ short episodes.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I don't see one-off suicide runs from Germany being on the agenda. Thinking about it, I reckon an earlier poster could be right - flown to Germany to have certain things added and/or removed. Then they could be flown back to Poland to an airbase close the Ukraine border, then flown by Ukrainian pilots over the border very low to evade radar to the nearest functioning airfield.
That's entirely possible, although removing sensitive equipment could just as easily be done in Poland. They also have to be painted to let people know they are now Ukrainian.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
With all these Western retail/food/drinks companies shutting up shop, I wonder what the shopping areas of central Moscow are going to look like in a day or two. Does any one know roughly what percentage of the total they represent in Moscow?

Fingeredmouse

"Something innate" could mean genetics, the human DNA. Then it is obviously wrong, the DNA is the same for all humans.

But "something innate" could also mean the culture one grows up. Do you think that it could be true that the underlying culture has strong tendencies to authoritarianism?
No.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Outside Source with a succinct summary of the current UK visa farce:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Outside Source with a succinct summary of the current UK visa farce:

I’ve got a man crush on Ros Atkins. Excellent reporter and fantastic taste in music.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm sorry, I'm probably following these events more than most. This isn't an isolated incident, civilians are being brutally murdered in this fashion on a daily basis (can link you more footage if you like). What's most scary about instances such as this one caught on film is the likely number of similar killings that aren't. Not to mention the indescriminate carpet bombings of residential areas going on as we speak.

So it just blows mind how it can even enter the head of anyone that Ukraine would be staging any video like that for propaganda.

Its perhaps a symptom of a discussion forum that actually bans footage of the topic from being posted.

The "propaganda war" going on here is 95%+ one-sided, a facist state trying to justify the unjustifiable. I understand the assumption that Ukraine would be pushing their own progaganda, as they have every right to if it helps them win this war, but they don't need to here, this is as one sided as it gets. We dont' even know for sure if their russian casualty numbers are exagerated.

Question everything, but stick around for the answers.
We should question both sides. We have too.

I have heard reports of Ukrainian soldiers hiding in residential buildings, waiting for russian soldiers to strike the building and then taking pictures of the burning building after for propaganda purposes.

Now I don't believe that for a second, but it's something that should be questioned.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They are tiptoeing around this so much. Either give them planes as NATO or don’t, seems like no one wants to actually be the ones who provide planes (which was not an issue with other weapons).

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
And Biden was gonna win by a landslide… sometimes simulations get it very wrong and don’t take into account the full extent of human greed and error.
Talk about two very different things.

And the Biden win was not a simulation but a polling model prediction.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How are Nato war games proof of what Putin would or wouldn't ultimately do in this war? Even in Russia there are probably only a hand few of people, who could claim to know this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How are Nato war games proof of what Putin would or wouldn't ultimately do in this war? Even in Russia there are probably only a hand few of people, who could claim to know this.
They aren't proof. That's why they're called wargames. They are a probabilistic prediction of what will happen if the variables considered turn out to be accurate.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They are tiptoeing around this so much. Either give them planes as NATO or don’t, seems like no one wants to actually be the ones who provide planes (which was not an issue with other weapons).
Poland are NATO right....

Seems to me if a nato country gives the planes to the USA and then the USA gives them to a third party they have 100% decided that NATO is not giving the planes

It's on the USA