Russia's at it again

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Spot on. Many comment without even going to Russia and not understanding the language or the country.
Russians who have lived under Yeltsin know how bad things were. Putin has put a stop to that and improve the lives a lot.
As another op said he wanted to join NATO and bill Clinton had no problems but the administration stopped it.
The Americans look down on the Russians and don't respect them at all and the bombings in Serbia and Libya was the final screw for Putin.
Compared to the Americans and NATO, the Russians don't invade or bomb countries.
:lol:

Are you Russian?

Foxbatt

:lol:

Are you Russian?
Don't have to be to see facts. I am not ignorant unlike some people. Apart from their involvement in Ukraine where have the Russians invaded? The Georgian involvement was found to be in retaliation for Georgian invasion and killing Russian peacekeepers according to even EU investigation.
Compared that to NATO and the US involvement. Russia is not the USSR. They are not a Communist country anymore.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Don't have to be to see facts. I am not ignorant unlike some people. Apart from their involvement in Ukraine where have the Russians invaded? The Georgian involvement was found to be in retaliation for Georgian invasion and killing Russian peacekeepers according to even EU investigation.
Compared that to NATO and the US involvement. Russia is not the USSR. They are not a Communist country anymore.
They may not be communist anymore but Putin is as power hungry as anyone else

Foxbatt

You're being very kind to Putin here. Over the past 20 years he has invaded Georgia, Ukraine (in the process stealing part of the country), engaged in a protracted frozen conflict in Transnistria, sent troops into Ingushetia, and interfered in elections in another dozen or so countries across Europe and beyond. All the while running what is ostensibly a mafia state that crushes dissent from within while a vast majority of the nation's wealth got coopted by Putin and his goons. If you want to see what an organized crime syndicate masquerading as a nation state with nukes would look like, then look no further than Putin's Russia.
If the majority of the Russians want him out he will be out no matter what he tries. This is what many westerners don't understand. The people in non western countries don't have any qualms of getting rid of their leaders in any way they can.
They are there because the majority of people support their leaders.
If the majority of 1.4 billion Chinese want Xi out then he will be out.
If the majority of Russians want Putin out then he will be out. He is there because the majority of the Russians want him to be there.
As for the election interference you must be having a laugh. How many countries do the Americans and the British interfere? How many demonstrations do their diplomats take part? A lot more than the Russians do. This is not whataboutery. This is in comparison to what the USA talks about and act and how the Russians talk and act.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Spot on. Many comment without even going to Russia and not understanding the language or the country.
Russians who have lived under Yeltsin know how bad things were. Putin has put a stop to that and improve the lives a lot.
As another op said he wanted to join NATO and bill Clinton had no problems but the administration stopped it.
The Americans look down on the Russians and don't respect them at all and the bombings in Serbia and Libya was the final screw for Putin.
Compared to the Americans and NATO, the Russians don't invade or bomb countries.
Some false equivalency going on here.
When you say it was bad before, but its not as bad now- that doesn't mean its not still bad.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing your own leaders and country in my opinion -in some ways that is the only way to continuously seek out areas to improve in. I find it quite fascinating that very rarely do you see folks who have ties to Russia...or at least seemingly do.. criticize the way things are handled there. There are vast amounts of people in places like the US and England criticizing their governments -who, as you rightfully point out- don't exactly have clean hands either. Id much rather we spend all those billions (trillions) we spend on defense, to go toward things that directly benefit Americans.

Foxbatt

They may not be communist anymore but Putin is as power hungry as anyone else
Of course he is a nationalistic dictator. Somewhat brutal too I agree. But non Anglo Saxons and non Europeans in general don't look at Russia in a negative way compared to the Americans. They normally don't interfere in other countries affairs like the Americans and the British do.

Foxbatt

Some false equivalency going on here.
When you say it was bad before, but its not as bad now- that doesn't mean its not still bad.

There is nothing wrong with criticizing your own leaders and country in my opinion -in some ways that is the only way to continuously seek out areas to improve in. I find it quite fascinating that very rarely do you see folks who have ties to Russia...or at least seemingly do.. criticize the way things are handled there. There are vast amounts of people in places like the US and England criticizing their governments -who, as you rightfully point out- don't exactly have clean hands either. Id much rather we spend all those billions (trillions) we spend on defense, to go toward things that directly benefit Americans.
I am merely pointing out the fallacies. I have been to the USSR many times and so to Russia too. The USSR is a different story. Russia is a different country. Can the ordinary Russian criticise Putin? Of course he or she can? Why? Because it's insignificant. Can they do during USSR? No. They can't.
I agree it's not a democracy as the west know. I don't think even Putin would say so. But what some people in the west don't understand is that what they think is the best is not the best for all the countries.
Just like the USSR though communism is the best for all the countries.
Look at Singapore. It's not a democracy as thought by the west. Would I prefer to be an American or a Singaporean? Singaporean any day.

MTF

Lack of transition in power is only stability in appearance. It is only delaying and increasing future turmoil. People in Russia, China and elsewhere might support the continued rule of their current governments and it is their sovereign right to do so. But I will also state that if they think it's a recipe for long-term success, it is almost always not. It tends to further corruption and authoritarianism.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
If the criteria are 1) Invasion, 2) the Russian Republic, 3) Not in a Russia proven, then there really is only; Ukraine and Georgia

Obviously both those are on a far smaller scale than the US invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan and Yemen and Syria.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Very good people. Big fan of Putin. Most beautiful women in the world.

If only there were some kind of organisation of Western powers that could exert influence over Russia to punish it when it does sh*t like this.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Bad move from Vlad. If Navalny dies, he will only become a martyr for a mass movement that will be much bigger than what it is when he's alive. I suspect this is why Putin hasn't had Navalny murdered all this time. But definitely a bad move, especially with what's happening in Belarus at the moment.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bad move from Vlad. If Navalny dies, he will only become a martyr for a mass movement that will be much bigger than what it is when he's alive. I suspect this is why Putin hasn't had Navalny murdered all this time. But definitely a bad move, especially with what's happening in Belarus at the moment.
Nah this is just another escalation. Below is a list of consequences Putin and Russia have faced so far for interfering with US and UK elections and killing UK citizens on UK soil with a failed assassination attempt:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nah this is just another escalation. Below is a list of consequences Putin and Russia have faced so far for interfering with US and UK elections and killing UK citizens on UK soil with a failed assassination attempt:
Election interference is a different topic from domestic troubles. Killing Navalny would be one of the dumbest things he could do, especially after just having extended his own time in office by another two terms/

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I fully trust what the west write about him. The Russians love him though.
That's not really true through. His rating is at the all-time low for him and he had barely managed to get the change in the constitution over the line, even though he had used all of his resources and election manipulations.

Levada-center, the biggest non-government sociological research organisation, on the question "Do you trust Putin?" only got 23% of positive responses. In comparison, in November of 2017 that number was at 59%. On the question "Do you approve Putin's actions as a president" there were 60% of positive responses and 33% of negative responses (that's quite a low number of people that abstained btw) – in comparison, 5 years ago, In July of 2015, his approval rating was 87% (an all-time high for him).

WCIOM, the government organisation that does sociological research as well, had made a bit of a mess this spring. Usually, the questions that sociological research organisation ask people don't change – so that you can see the results over the years, compare them and see the trend. So, in May they had their usual "Which politician do you trust?" open question and Putin had scored 30,5%... it wasn't very flattering, so they had changed the question entirely, making it "Do you trust or do you not trust Vladimir Putin?" (surprise-surprise, the new question had elevated his trust rating to 72,3%. To put those 30,5% in context, his rating by the same methodic was above 40% in the summer of 2019 and over 59% in 2017.

That's a very simplistic point of view that Putin tries to implement, but it's became a bit of a laughing point at the moment. It's always "you don't want to get back to the 90's, do you?" with him. Don't get me wrong, the 90's were horrible, but the country didn't have the money, the whole political and social system was a mess because USSR had just disappeared, the economy was in crisis... don't get me started on the privatisation or on the organised crime – the current oligarchy and most of Putin's close circle either come from those circles or had gained a lot of money and influence by working in police/FSB and directly dealing with that organised crime.

There's also a simple reason behind Russia's ability to recover from the 90's:

I know what no one can read in Russian there, but this is the graphic that shows oil price from 1970's to 2015. This graphic miraculously aligns with the graphic of Russian's economical growth (and regress). The issue is, while Russia had gained trillions of dollars in oil export year after year, nothing actually went back to the economy in an order to create a sustainable plan for when the oil price is (inevitably) going down... So suddenly, after 20 years of Putin at power, we're pretty much back when we're started and he has to increase the pension age because government can't sustain ageing people anymore.

And really, when you rule the country for 20 years that coincide with the best possible time to rebuild and improve your country's economy, you shouldn't leave it in the position where everything can fall back into the way it was in the 90's if you walk away. It's not something that shows your incredible importance to the country – it's something that shows your complete and utter incompetence at this job.

harms

Staff
As for Navalny, the same thing happened with Pyotr Verzilov in 2018 (an ex-Pussy Riot member and the publisher of Mediazona, a Russian media that focuses on Russian court cases, both political and general).
https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-...oning-of-the-pussy-riot-member-pyotr-verzilov

Hopefully, everything works out with Navalny like it did with Verzilov – they were able to transfer him to Berlin at some point where he recovered. The reports are saying that Navalny is stable in the moment, albeit still in a coma.

harms

Staff
Navalny isn't very popular in the first place except among the far right. Doubt there will be a mass movement.
He certainly lost a lot of supporters over the years, but, interestingly enough, he is very popular with teenagers and young voters (16-25). The YouTube generation.

Edit: a quick google showed that in the same Levada poll about the politicians that people trust in April they've had:
Putin: 28%
Shoygu (Minister of Defence) and Mishustin (Prime-minister): 13%
Lavrov (Foreign Minister) and Zyuganov (The head of Russian Communist Party): 11%
Navalny: 4%

Not bad, actually.

That's not really true through. His rating is at the all-time low for him and he had barely managed to get the change in the constitution over the line, even though he had used all of his resources and election manipulations.

Levada-center, the biggest non-government sociological research organisation, on the question "Do you trust Putin?" only got 23% of positive responses. In comparison, in November of 2017 that number was at 59%. On the question "Do you approve Putin's actions as a president" there were 60% of positive responses and 33% of negative responses (that's quite a low number of people that abstained btw) – in comparison, 5 years ago, In July of 2015, his approval rating was 87% (an all-time high for him).

WCIOM, the government organisation that does sociological research as well, had made a bit of a mess this spring. Usually, the questions that sociological research organisation ask people don't change – so that you can see the results over the years, compare them and see the trend. So, in May they had their usual "Which politician do you trust?" open question and Putin had scored 30,5%... it wasn't very flattering, so they had changed the question entirely, making it "Do you trust or do you not trust Vladimir Putin?" (surprise-surprise, the new question had elevated his trust rating to 72,3%. To put those 30,5% in context, his rating by the same methodic was above 40% in the summer of 2019 and over 59% in 2017.

That's a very simplistic point of view that Putin tries to implement, but it's became a bit of a laughing point at the moment. It's always "you don't want to get back to the 90's, do you?" with him. Don't get me wrong, the 90's were horrible, but the country didn't have the money, the whole political and social system was a mess because USSR had just disappeared, the economy was in crisis... don't get me started on the privatisation or on the organised crime – the current oligarchy and most of Putin's close circle either come from those circles or had gained a lot of money and influence by working in police/FSB and directly dealing with that organised crime.

There's also a simple reason behind Russia's ability to recover from the 90's:

I know what no one can read in Russian there, but this is the graphic that shows oil price from 1970's to 2015. This graphic miraculously aligns with the graphic of Russian's economical growth (and regress). The issue is, while Russia had gained trillions of dollars in oil export year after year, nothing actually went back to the economy in an order to create a sustainable plan for when the oil price is (inevitably) going down... So suddenly, after 20 years of Putin at power, we're pretty much back when we're started and he has to increase the pension age because government can't sustain ageing people anymore.

And really, when you rule the country for 20 years that coincide with the best possible time to rebuild and improve your country's economy, you shouldn't leave it in the position where everything can fall back into the way it was in the 90's if you walk away. It's not something that shows your incredible importance to the country – it's something that shows your complete and utter incompetence at this job.
Great read, thanks.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I am merely pointing out the fallacies. I have been to the USSR many times and so to Russia too. The USSR is a different story. Russia is a different country. Can the ordinary Russian criticise Putin? Of course he or she can? Why? Because it's insignificant. Can they do during USSR? No. They can't.
I agree it's not a democracy as the west know. I don't think even Putin would say so. But what some people in the west don't understand is that what they think is the best is not the best for all the countries.
Just like the USSR though communism is the best for all the countries.
Look at Singapore. It's not a democracy as thought by the west. Would I prefer to be an American or a Singaporean? Singaporean any day.
This. Right here.

Don't Kill Bill

Isn't it amazing how all these Putin critics just happen to be getting poisoned. No idea who could possibly be behind it.

Don't Kill Bill

The German govt condemns it and asks for an investigation but we already know who is behind it and the only reason he might ask to see the perpetrators is to pin a medal on them.